NEurope
darksnowman

How Important is Game Music to You?

Except for Resident Evil 4. Great atmosphere setting soundtrack, but you can't listen to a single song out of context and actively enjoy it.

Why would you want to? If the soundtrack is created to accompany a particular scene in the game or made to fit the game itself, then why listen to it out of context? Play tha game, agaaaaain.

Why would you want to? If the soundtrack is created to accompany a particular scene in the game or made to fit the game itself, then why listen to it out of context? Play tha game, agaaaaain.

What he means is, there is videogame music, that can be appreciated, even outside of the game.

But with Resi 4 (and horror games in general), that doesn't happen. It's great atmosphere, sure, but outside of the game, it isn't anything.

Of course, his point is only valid because there is, in fact, amazing, atmospheric, music that is also good outside of context:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

What he means is, there is videogame music, that can be appreciated, even outside of the game.

But with Resi 4 (and horror games in general), that doesn't happen. It's great atmosphere, sure, but outside of the game, it isn't anything.

Of course, his point is only valid because there is, in fact, amazing, atmospheric, music that is also good outside of context:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Yeah, but my point is that the music is designed to go with the game. It isn't designed for you to listen outside of the game. I don't really see the problem with that. There may be examples where atmospheric music can work outside of the game, but in this case, I think its fine. Besides, when you judge a game's soundtrack, you base it on how well it sounds inside the game anyway, not out of it. So, its almost a pointless...err...point? :heh:

Yeah, but my point is that the music is designed to go with the game. It isn't designed for you to listen outside of the game. I don't really see the problem with that. There may be examples where atmospheric music can work outside of the game, but in this case, I think its fine. Besides, when you judge a game's soundtrack, you base it on how well it sounds inside the game anyway, not out of it. So, its almost a pointless...err...point? :heh:

There isn't a problem. It works perfectly with the game. I was merely pointing out that it's probably the only ULTRA SUPER PERFECT game in which the soundntrack doesn't work as a masterpiece when out of context. Or at least I can't think of anything else.

As for horror games soundtracks, hmm somewhat. Although Silent Hill has fantastic music, and Eternal Darkness is awesome too.

As do some RE titles, for that matter, especially in safe places and the like:

(not necessarily the best, just the first one I came accross, but it does illustrate my point of "working out of context")

As for horror games soundtracks, hmm somewhat. Although Silent Hill has fantastic music, and Eternal Darkness is awesome too.

I can tolerate "Safe place music", but even then, it irks me a bit, hearing it outside of context. I can never forget that the track belongs in a horror setting.

Except for Resident Evil 4. Great atmosphere setting soundtrack, but you can't listen to a single song out of context and actively enjoy it.

I disagree. Of course, the score's priority is always to fit in the context of the game, but it's just an added bonus when it's also a lot of fun to listen to.

Some favourites from Resident Evil 4:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I've always loved the music on the Resident Evil games when the place is about to blow up. All through out the game the music has been quiet and more about atmosphere, then all of a sudden the self destruction sequence gets activated and the music really picks up.

Resident Evil 2

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

There isn't a problem. It works perfectly with the game. I was merely pointing out that it's probably the only ULTRA SUPER PERFECT game in which the soundntrack doesn't work as a masterpiece when out of context. Or at least I can't think of anything else.

Oh, I know what you're saying. But, what I'm just saying is that it's not the end of the world if the soundtrack doesn't work outside of the game. If anything, if I want to listen to the soundtrack, it just makes me more encouraged to go and play the game again.

I disagree. Of course, the score's priority is always to fit in the context of the game, but it's just an added bonus when it's also a lot of fun to listen to.

Some favourites from Resident Evil 4:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I quite disagree with Krauser, it's just "fast paced action" style music without anything that's really interesting. Sorrow is okay, but it's hardly something you'd listen to on a regular basis, I believe. I'm no saying it's a bad soundtrack, 'cause it isn't, it's just not that involving. :heh:

I've always loved the music on the Resident Evil games when the place is about to blow up. All through out the game the music has been quiet and more about atmosphere, then all of a sudden the self destruction sequence gets activated and the music really picks up.

Resident Evil 2

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Yeah, I know what you mean:

Why the hell is Zero the first thing I get? Ah, screw it, I liked the game anyway...

Omg yes, I know exactly what you mean. The most effective piece in Resident Evil 4 is one of the save area ones. I think it's because it feels like it has no place there - it's quite jarring. It's the stuff of nightmares without actually being scary in itself:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Heh, it's called "Serenity". The perfect title. Serenity in a pit of darkness can be one of the most suspicious and ultimately frightening things imaginable.

As others have already stated, music is a very important aspect of games as, if done right, it can be as powerful as a well written story or well designed gameplay at drawing the player in.

People are often quick to look at the visuals of a game first, followed by the gameplay and do neglect the audio work, which is a shame because there are many games out there with incredibly moving soundtracks, even in handheld games where the music is often neglected should the person be playing on the go. Stick a pair of headphones in and enjoy because at times, you're really missing out.

Thankfully, I'm one of those people that locks in with the music pretty much as soon as the game is put on and I definitely appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating them to fit the game as well as some of the soundtracks do. I am happy that as games have moved on to where we are now, soundtracks have become more eloquent, elegant and thought provoking and really, some of the soundtracks doing the rounds in games these days outstretch many of those found in films.

A few examples of those which have stayed with me through play:

Chrono Trigger (how could anyone not love the audio in this game)

Tales of Symphonia

The World Ends With You

Pretty much every Zelda game

World of Goo

Every Mario game past and present

Every Metroid game

And many, many more. Actually listening to the World of Goo soundtrack as I write this and it's helping to bring back all those memories of playing. It's a perfect example of why game music is important if done well and World of Goo has a phenomenal score which definitely helps in making the game the amazing thing it is. So yes, game music is very important to me.

Edited by Ganepark32

To me, the Burnout series demonstrates how important a games soundtrack is. I enjoyed Burnout 2, the dynamic music was great and gave the game a unique atmosphere. I just couldn't get into Burnout Revenge or Paradise though, the games felt very soul less with EA tracks.

Plants vs Zombies and Excitebike World Rally are recent games I've played where the music has really added to the game.

For me music = soul... and a game that doesn't have one will never be destined for greatness, so yes I would say that music is the single most important thing that really makes a game.

Of course you can have engaging gameplay, stunning visuals and addictive elements but even a fundamentally decent game can be considered flawed if the music isn't any good because it's what adds that extra level of immersion to the experience that's so important.

It's essentially the glue that holds all of the other parts together and without it even the most skillfully crafted game in other areas will start to fall apart; on the flipside though amazing music won't make a poor game good, it's just essentially a waste of a good soundtrack that may have worked with another similar but superior game.

Music is mindblowing even on its own but within an amazing game a decent quality soundtrack can be immensely powerful.

Ah, I remember one of the great Windwaker moments was made possible by music for me.

'T was when I was sailing my boat in The Windwaker and slowly, but surely, approaching Dragon Roost Island.

As I came closer, the tunes started playing..

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Beautifully relaxing ukelele (or what have you) combined with that awesome panflute; it just felt so right as I was nearing this mystical island with that huge volcano.

And let's not forget the epic music gaining momentum whilst Link is climbing Ganon's Castle in Twilight Princess.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I don't know about you guys, but every big stairs I encounter in my life results in me getting out my mp3-player, putting on this tune and taking my time to going upwards....:hehe:

I really like Twilight Princess' music, but all the tracks sound so computerised it's almost jarring. It's odd.