NEurope
Murr

Seattle Superhero Blocks Kick With Nose

Seattle Superhero Phoenix Jones (aka: The Guardian of Seattle) just received a reality check in the form of being the proud new recipient of a broken nose!

seattles%20superhero.jpg

Since Kick Ass this is happening more and more.

You would think after watching an actor get shot and beat to near death (Kick Ass) would detour any Spandex crime fighting by a random citizen in real life. But it didn't and now we have guys out there like Phoenix Jones. Phoenix Jones is one crazy guy but he's got nuts the size of two 1 ton wrecking balls, yet, the Man of Steel he is not.

This from the SeattlePI:

'One of Seattle's self-proclaimed super heroes had his nose broken and was threatened at gunpoint Saturday, prompting police to again ask that he and others stop with the costumes and call 911.'

Notice the beginning of the quote said 'One of'. Does this mean there are more Seattle Super Heroes waiting in the wings? Is this the first of a long line of broken noses and pistol whipped Petes?

Phoenix Jones is having none of the 'Call 911' talk, last week on 'Good Morning America' Jones said calling 911 was like waving a white flag, in fact Phoenix had this to say in response:

"I endanger my life with a reason and a purpose."

Phoenix went on to say something that rings true to many defenseless victims of crime:

"If police aren't here, criminals feel free to run wild in my city," he continued. "And I'm not going to stand for it."

To which Seattle PD responded:

"Does Superman get his ass kicked?" one detective asked. "These people should not be called super heroes."

phoenix%20jones.jpg

super2.jpg

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

Well... this is just, amusing. The guy's heart is in the right place, but this can only end badly for him surely. He's already had someone point a gun at him, and now a broken nose. It'll only be a matter of time before he ends up being killed.

I understand people maybe want to help the community, but there has to be safer ways then this, Volunteering, organising a neighbourhood watch scheme, you know... something that will help but at the same time be safer.

I love this guy. What he's doing is insane, but so entertaining.

This is pretty inspiring, somewhat worrying, but also truly entertaining! :D

Yeah, pretty much this.

Except I wouldn't call it "inspiring". Like others said, there are other, safer, more effective ways to fight crime. I just hope the dude doesn't get himself killed.

If more people did this I wonder whether there'd be less "gangster" crime? (Couldn't think of the right word for it, like street violence/pimping/trafficking etc etc)

This can only end badly. The only "comic book hero" that I can imagine translating into real life would be someone like Punisher. Obviously less "beats EVERYONE else easily", but I'm suprised it hasn't happened more. In fact, I'm sure it has, for short periods of time, until the person inevitably is killed.

I can't imagine what he could do against someone with a gun though besides get lucky or get shot.

If more people did this I wonder whether there'd be less "gangster" crime? (Couldn't think of the right word for it, like street violence/pimping/trafficking etc etc)

Batman can use a variety of gadgets to hang from the ceiling, hide in the shadows and dispatch multiple thugs in seconds. I think a super-team would be necessary to take on these people and ensure they actually stand a chance, but I highly doubt they'd be able to survive a shoot-out.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Except I wouldn't call it "inspiring". Like others said, there are other, safer, more effective ways to fight crime. I just hope the dude doesn't get himself killed.

No, I did consider using another word, but I couldn't be bothered at the time. Not so much "inspiring" as ... "admirable", perhaps? I mean, it's definitely a bad idea, but you have to hand it to him, he has his heart in the right place - not to mention a lot of guts.

Unless he's only doing this for the attention, that is.

This can only end badly. The only "comic book hero" that I can imagine translating into real life would be someone like Punisher. Obviously less "beats EVERYONE else easily", but I'm suprised it hasn't happened more. In fact, I'm sure it has, for short periods of time, until the person inevitably is killed.

I like Kick-Ass. I dislike the delays on Volume 2.

"The delays won't be as bad as they were on volume 1"

*Issue 1 comes out*

*4 months later no issue 2.....*

Stupid fucking (Avengers) it'd be better without Romita anyway. :(

This Phoenix guy is cool. Stupid but cool.

So what does he actually do?

Does he just walk around at night openly in pubic sight like Kick-Ass does in the film?

In which case that's just asking for some thug to pull a gun on him.

Or does he try to stay hidden in the background/shadows, out of sight and attacks criminals in the act when they least expect it?

In which case partially smart but still likely to get in way over his head.

If someone were to do something like this right in real life they'd have to do it like Big Daddy and be totally unknown (though with all the killin BD did in the film, even though he killed bad guys if someone did that in real life they'd still end up on the wrong side of a serial killer manhunt)

If he really wanted to fight crime why not just join the police force and and be a street cop. Least then he'd had back up and supply of weapons that he would leagally be allowed use (within reason)

Ah just found this vid

Apparently he does have a bullet=proof vest under the top so he's not totally mad.

If he really wanted to fight crime why not just join the police force and and be a street cop. Least then he'd had back up and supply of weapons that he would leagally be allowed use (within reason)

I think the concept is that there's some areas that the police won't touch/can't get to in time. He's doing this because he's not a fan of the way the police force handles things, right?

While I do think it's somewhat crazy, I can't help but respect the guy (and his co-heroes) in some way. It's an honourable concept. Also, it doesn't sound like he's doing things Big Daddy style, more like he's doing what any citizen is capable of doing, but which police often discourages in order to protect those citizens' safety.

This will go one of several ways:

1) This could work, but only if the person was literally super hard and was very well trained in martial arts and had enough money to buy serious body armour which is very expensive.

2) This could also work if the person went down the Punisher route, but again that would involve lots of money for weapons and body armour, as well as having to contend with the police.

3) This will not work and will end in utter disaster when a poorly armed, badly trained and seriously under protected individual decides this would be fun and ends up getting shot/stabbed/battered.

I'm betting on outcome number 3!