NEurope
Guy

Why No General Chit-Chat, Guys?

I've read the thread as a whole and I don't really have much to say, except I post in GCC and Other Consoles and have done for years, but I don't have any sort of quirk or different nature to make me stand out of the crowd. I post my piece and I get replies. None of this coloured text stuff, none of this quirky personality stuff and certainly no female attributes to speak of.

I agree - the people that have said features to stand out and tend to gain a following (if not a clique in some cases) but you don't need one to be accepted/noticed/accounted for over there.

Now, as someone who visits the Nintendo parts of the board every now and then I'd go as far as to say that whilst everyone and anyone can have their say, the moment you have an opinion that goes against the majority, you'll start being flamed if you're not an active contributor to the Wii/DS sections. We all saw it recently when Scoop et al were commenting on the battery life of the 3DS and he got called out for not liking what Nintendo had to say. As far as I'm concerned, it felt like a very unfriendly thread and I had no desire to stick around and discuss any other Nintendo related things if that would be the sort of response I'd get. I do know, of course, that the majority of threads aren't like this, but I hazard a guess at that being down to the fact that there's not always as much of a difference in opinion as there is in GCC.

I do love me some Name That Game though, and there are some threads I'll stick around in. But maybe the Nintendo section of the forums isn't as open and friendly as the inhabitants seem to think it is?

I'm glad that you guys think theres a level of camaraderie and friendliness in the gaming boards. [EDIT: aside from Dyson!] Having been here for so long it can be difficult to gauge what vibe the forum gives to newer members. :)* Still, its been a generation of ridicule for us Wii gamers so we have to stick together. If we bickered and disagreed amongst ourselves there'd end up being no Wii discussion here at all!

Way back when I was a newbie I thought I was invisible on every board I posted, (...I kind of still feel that way tbh... but that would probably be avoided if I didn't obsess over games no one else cares about...), however there is still a strong feeling that posting in General is pointless, I agree. Not that there's genuinely ever many topics in that board I care about.

*obligatory smiley for Ville's benefit

Now, as someone who visits the Nintendo parts of the board every now and then I'd go as far as to say that whilst everyone and anyone can have their say, the moment you have an opinion that goes against the majority, you'll start being flamed if you're not an active contributor to the Wii/DS sections. We all saw it recently when Scoop et al were commenting on the battery life of the 3DS and he got called out for not liking what Nintendo had to say. As far as I'm concerned, it felt like a very unfriendly thread and I had no desire to stick around and discuss any other Nintendo related things if that would be the sort of response I'd get. I do know, of course, that the majority of threads aren't like this, but I hazard a guess at that being down to the fact that there's not always as much of a difference in opinion as there is in GCC.

I do love me some Name That Game though, and there are some threads I'll stick around in. But maybe the Nintendo section of the forums isn't as open and friendly as the inhabitants seem to think it is?

Interesting...my very limited experiences of "arguments" from these boards are actually just positive. I mean even if you wouldn't happen to like a hardcore Nintendo title, like Zelda ST or even SMG 1 / 2, you can say it aloud with any fanboy rage or other such silliness ensuing. I know I did...and it was just another interesting, yet differing viewpoint amongst others. Sure people were disagreeing on this and that, but the overall tone still remained pretty civil...and that does delight me. Haven't read the thread you mentioned, Dyson, but thus far the overall experience has been pretty good for me...

It was a bad example among a sea of mostly good threads to be fair - but the same can be said for GCC. The old music thread and film threads and such had a very cliquey atmosphere to them which is why they were done away with, and is meant to be more welcoming and open for users to post in. For the most part all of the threads there constitute decent discussion without many of the complaints that Capt pointed out earlier :)

Ville, you may not have noticed since you were away from GCC but I nominated you for an award in the forum awards and that's without being a regular in GCC! Being a 'character' has nothing to do with it, unless you want it to be.

@Dyson: Interesting. I wasn't aware of that discussion (I saw the first page, immediately realised it wasn't going anywhere due to vague info, and left).

I just checked the entire thread, and yes, it is disgraceful. However, I didn't feel like it was a "different opinions get smashed" kind of business, it was just Nolan being a dick for one post, and Scoop responding with more dickery, and accusing people of fanboyism that wasn't really there.

It was shameful, but I don't think it was a case of fanboyism at all.

It should be noted, though: occasionally, an "outsider" (usually Caris) posts on the Wii Board, with a sceptical stance regarding some subject, and the ensuing argument ends with that outsider saying "You guys are impossible, nobody can have a different opinion!" and leaving(sometimes he's justified, other times he isn't).

I find that sad, because things could be a lot more civil, from both sides of the discussion.

I agree, Jonnas. Following on from your point, there is a fair bit of "baiting" that takes place. They know exactly what they're doing, as well.

I don't think the battery life crisis was that bad, compared to what we get in the GCC it was civil enough.

I agree, Jonnas. Following on from your point, there is a fair bit of "baiting" that takes place. They know exactly what they're doing, as well.

And it is often the same individuals too. Comes to something when you have mods openly trolling on a forum...

I just checked the entire thread, and yes, it is disgraceful. However, I didn't feel like it was a "different opinions get smashed" kind of business, it was just Nolan being a dick for one post, and Scoop responding with more dickery, and accusing people of fanboyism that wasn't really there.

It was shameful, but I don't think it was a case of fanboyism at all.

:D

I did my best to explain myself and sort of apologize, but it was kind of over looked.

It all went downhill from there though. The thread was a bit of a travesty.

On the subject of feeling invisible when posting, that feeling is very apparent in some threads, my solution ignore that fact and just interject your own opinion whenever relevant until you're noticed in someway. I find the addition of thanks to be useful in this way, I'll often get and give thanks to posts but never respond beyond that. You know you aren't being ignored then at least.

And it is often the same individuals too. Comes to something when you have mods openly trolling on a forum...

Heyyy, no need to bring my Metroid opinion into this is there?

Here we go again with the Metroid!....

Get back to your cave, troll!

;)

There's never any need for your metroid opinion :heh:

My interest in the Wii has fallen substantially so I don't really venture in there much except to read about new news on Zelda.

I venture into other gaming threads particularly other consoles and DS for games I'm interested in but because my gaming collection is so sparse and insignificant I don't have the same extent of gaming knowledge as many Gamers in these sections of the site. So I rarely post but merely lurk to see what people's opinions are.

Whilst I initially came on here to read about the 'Revolution' before it became the Wii, my gaming time and prowess has diminished which as a result has led me to focus more on the social side of the forum.

For anyone saying they don't like any threads in the GCC, make a thread and I'm sure some people will like what you post about?

I sincerely hope you dont think I was refering to you.

I hate to suck up, but the three moderators for the Nintendo boards are absolutely top class (not insulting those on other boards, but I'm not familiar with them). Whenever I see those three names I think "Ah, those are the good guys..."

"...but why the heck doesn't darksnowman like Metroid?" ;)

Because outside of Dragon Quest, he has shit taste in gaming ;)

Still love ya brightsnowman :P

*obligatory smiley for Ville's benefit

:)

It was a bad example among a sea of mostly good threads to be fair - but the same can be said for GCC. The old music thread and film threads and such had a very cliquey atmosphere to them which is why they were done away with, and is meant to be more welcoming and open for users to post in. For the most part all of the threads there constitute decent discussion without many of the complaints that Capt pointed out earlier :)

Yeah, I do browse GCC, and it has its good sides as well. Still, I do find the overall atmosphere more positive down here...

Ville, you may not have noticed since you were away from GCC but I nominated you for an award in the forum awards and that's without being a regular in GCC! Being a 'character' has nothing to do with it, unless you want it to be.

Yeah, it was for the Creative Gallery contributions, right? Thanks man :) I was on a 10-day yoga retreat at New Year, so I missed some of this Awards stuff...though I did check the final thread. I got some other nominations as well, mostly from DannyB the Dashing and Jonnas, but also from Jay for positivity. Great that someone else actually noticed :)

But yeah, you do have a point, you don't necessarily have to be a "character"...I mean it's just normal interaction, really. Which means...posting, posting and posting until people get to know you → actually start to care. Well, I do know that I've already made a connection with few people in here, which I'm very grateful for :)

Because outside of Dragon Quest, he has shit taste in gaming ;)

Still love ya brightsnowman :P

and those DKC games. Terrible terrible :p

I sincerely hope you dont think I was refering to you.

Course not. Banter is still allowed though, right? :kiss:

I hate to suck up, but the three moderators for the Nintendo boards are absolutely top class (not insulting those on other boards, but I'm not familiar with them). Whenever I see those three names I think "Ah, those are the good guys..."

Boys, its time we were stricter... with Grazza!

Its just... not my cup of tea.

and those DKC games. Terrible terrible :p

My nemesis!

Yeah, I do just pretty much come on here to dick around sometimes. I'm sorry for that.

Can't believe this thread is still going, I forgot all about it.

Its just... not my cup of tea.

Only joking. In all seriousness, I totally respect your right to not like any particular series, especially one of the "Big 3".

The one I don't like is Mario Kart. If only they'd get rid of the weapons!

...I don't like is Mario Kart. If only they'd get rid of the weapons!

Nooooooooooo! I just love the weapons, it's what makes Mario Kart! :grin:

Nooooooooooo! I just love the weapons, it's what makes Mario Kart! :grin:

Word! You'll be asking for a speed limit on F Zero next. ;)

Only joking. In all seriousness, I totally respect your right to not like any particular series, especially one of the "Big 3".

The one I don't like is Mario Kart. If only they'd get rid of the weapons!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

...I don't like Mario Kart that much, either :heh: