NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Game of Thrones

8 hours ago, Sheikah said:

It's going to happen, but battles generally don't do much for me. Give me political plays and twists over grand battles any day of the week. I really hope the battle is fairly short and they spend more time wrapping up the plot at the end. I don't think it'll happen though...

Either it'll get dragged out fighting masses of zombies, which will be boring as fuck, or hopefully the plan to get to the Night King will actually happen ending with an quick epic battle.

Basically the end of Episode 1, or The Mummy Returns.

If you want story, intrigue, twists etc, get some Robert Jordan. A Song of Ice and Fire is the poor man's Wheel of Time. 

• Like 1

My prediction for the next episode is 

Spoiler

Winterfell will be decimated by an inside attack from within when the White Walkers resurrect the dead from the “safe” crypt that everybody’s been talking about. However, something will turn the tide and the living will win narrowly. However, the plan to kill the Night King will fail as he will have instead travelled to King’s Landing on his dragon and will wipe out Cersei’s army (once enough have been killed and reanimated, the living will soon be overwhelmed) The real attack from the dead will come from the south in the remaining episodes.

Spoiler

I'm speechless.

I've never been a big fan of those huge LotR-style battles but this episode...some of the finest 90 minutes I've ever spent with television.
It was close to perfect.

So as far as I can tell we had three major casualties:

Melisandre
Theon :( 
Jorah :cry: 

The fact that Jorah couldn't say his final words to Daenerys killed me. He's always been my favourite character besides Littlefinger and now he's gone. :( 

Well...now that the Night King plotline seems to be over (guess we'll spend some time with the fallout next episode but other than that, it should be done) we hopefully get back to some more political intrigue. As much as I enjoyed (loved, actually) this episode, I still prefer what made GoT good in the first place: Different parties trying to outsmart each other and incredible plot twists.

I actually felt quite sick for most of that episode. I've never been so invested in a battle but then again no battle has had 70+ hours of build up before. What a ride!

On 24/04/2019 at 7:11 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

Either it'll get dragged out fighting masses of zombies, which will be boring as fuck, or hopefully the plan to get to the Night King will actually happen ending with an quick epic battle.

Well most of the former with a splash of the latter. The ending was a nice surprise but I think 90 minutes of buildup was a bit too much. 

I don't have Sky Atlantic HD so had to make do with regular television. The visuals were not the greatest. Could barely see shit at times which ruined it a bit. 

Spoiler

Ruined. Piss poor battling going balls deep in the dead of night. 

Spoiler

Was a bit disappointed with this battle to be honest. Don’t get me wrong, it was spectacular though not quite as good as Hardhome. And I was on the edge of my seat throughout. My main gripe was ever since the show overtook the books, we seem to have “safe” characters, or at least they’ll be safe till the finale. It made no sense at all that people like Jaime and Brienne survived, considering how much danger they were in before the show cut to another scene. Just pull the damn trigger already and give us a few major deaths. And I know that Theon and Jorah have been there since the beginning, but who honestly was expecting them to survive this? Four or five seasons ago, it would’ve been Jon or Dany to go, but because they need to resolve the Aegon storyline, you knew it wasn’t going to happen. 

I just want the rug pulled out from under me but unfortunately that hasn’t happened since s3 or 4.

Throughout the series the zombies* have had the Wind Waker enemy style of programming when it comes to the main characters: surround the enemy, but attack one at a time.

*not the White Walkers, they were so anticlimactic.

I enjoyed it a lot but I can understand people feeling a little let down. It’s the same with a lot of these big budget fantasy/sci-fi films that a bit more than average plot depth. People end up feeling let down after building up expectations in their head over years. 

But yeah beautifully put together.

Spoiler

My worries about them not having enough time to wrap everything up have vanished. Only the Westeros stuff to sort now. Can’t wait.

Edited by Ronnie

Very much glad they wrapped up this story arc by the half way point. I liked the end of the episode but the battle was standard battle fare - quick flicking between shots where it's hard to make out what was going on.

Spoiler

Thought the episode was fantastic! The opening part of the battle with the Dothraki lights going out one by one was stunning. Genuinely an "oh shit" moment. 

Overall, the night king storyline has always been secondary to the main over-arching story of who gets to sit on the iron throne. It's ultimately a huuuuuge sidestory. A sidequest! I'm glad that they resolved it all within the one final battle and I'm satisfied by the ending. What makes it more meaningful to me is that here we have Arya, a person who has lost her innocence and left to learn how to become an assassin. She is a fighter in more than one sense of the word. LOVED the call back to her conversation with Melisandre much earlier in the series. 

I've seen a lot of criticism regarding the lighting of the episode. Firstly, I thought that the darkness added to the mood of the episode. It was grim, haunting and, imo, spectacular. We did the sensible thing and...altered the brightness of the tv until we were happy with it. Took the best part of half a minute. Max. Are there seriously people out there who watched a whole 80 minute episode of a television show without thinking to turn up the brightness? Do these people also stick to the same volume setting for each and every show and channel? Seems like a lot of fuss over very little.

One thing that did concern me beforehand was that we were going to see a lot of characters killed off because "it's a battle and people have to die". Sure...but I'm not generally a fan of characters being killed off unless it advances the story. I get the feeling many were expecting a dozen or so characters to get wiped out. I saw this as an almost "end of part 1". I'm assuming that there will be some kind of battle for King's Landing, in which case you're going to need those "big" characters involved in that, plus you need to have some at the end of the story to show how the world carries on once the battles are over. The Red Wedding was a monumental episode for the show, but it's almost pushed up the expectations too high with characters being killed off. 

So yeah, slightly unsure of what to think with the mixed reviews of this episode. Are the expectations so high that they can never possibly be met?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:
  Spoilers for The Long Night (Hide contents)

I've seen a lot of criticism regarding the lighting of the episode. Firstly, I thought that the darkness added to the mood of the episode. It was grim, haunting and, imo, spectacular. We did the sensible thing and...altered the brightness of the tv until we were happy with it. Took the best part of half a minute. Max. Are there seriously people out there who watched a whole 80 minute episode of a television show without thinking to turn up the brightness? Do these people also stick to the same volume setting for each and every show and channel? Seems like a lot of fuss over very little.

Yeah, I hope most people turned up the brightness before complaining. But some were also complaining about the fog which is a bit more understanding, even though it was part of the episode.

Spoiler

I thinkj the episode was awesome in general but I have some gripes with it. First of all, I think it was too long and went to far with the hopelessness, the whole episode just felt like a season of Walking Dead with no hope other than Daenerys dragon-burning the Night King. I perhaps just wanted the episode to be a bit shorter. Just to add to this, I saw a reviewer complaining about this episode because it had too much fighting and too little political drama which is a stupid complaint given the premise of the episode.

Then there's the obvious observation that everyone with a name survived and overcame impossible situations - Jaime and Brienne in particular, but also Sam. I want them to die because of the story and how their deaths could advance the story but it didn't feel quite realistic. I'm sad that Theon and Jorah died, though.

Arya killing Night King so swiftly is satisfying and something I hadn't seen coming. I thought the end was near but was relieved when she killed him off. Awesome stuff - and I'm glad that they didn't drag this out too much by now. I can understand why some people are upset with his quick death, though, as they wanted him more fleshed out and know more about his back story.

Now I'm very interested in knowing what happened to Jon's dragon as well as seeing how they will cope with Cersei over the next three episodes. I'm expecting the next one to be a bit slow again and then episode 5 and 6 to be another battle.

• Like 1

I loved the episode

Spoiler

I loved several call backs to earlier things, That the Dagger meant to kill Bran had ended up being the one to save him and the world, at the hands of the insignificant Tom Boy that was dismissed by everyone

I think my only Gripes were the lack of two characters deaths

Grey Worm - he was on the front lines, we saw him swarmed several times and he really should have died, but i can accept as a soldier trained from birth i can accept maybe he could survive...but

Samwell 'Plot Armour' Tarley

Christ i love Sam, but he should have died several times over, it was almost a joke by the end! he was laid on a pile of corpses waving a dragon glass dagger and somehow didn't get injured or wounded significantly! They should have marched him out like the Juggernaught and stood behind him with Plot Armour that thick! I mean come the fuck on! if they wanted him alive, have him hide or something! Bloody Jorah and Beric fought like ten men and couldn't stop getting mortally wounded, but an untrained maester wannabe survived! Christ

• Like 3

We didn’t turn the brightness up but we did turn all the lights off. That helped set the mood. Didn’t have a problem with the low light. That was the point. 

Heard a few complaints about 

Spoiler

How Arya could sneak past all those White Walkers and kill the king undetected.

Well, what do you think her training with the Faceless Men in Braavos was all about? Surely she was able to take on the appearance of one of them.

26 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

E3 (Hide contents)

How Arya could sneak past all those White Walkers and kill the king undetected.

Well, what do you think her training with the Faceless Men in Braavos was all about? Surely she was able to take on the appearance of one of them.

Plus they've been nothing but useless throughout. One was a nice plot piece in the previous season for the Master Vampire thing, but apart from that they've done as little as possible. 

All I wanted was just one Sauron-esque ass kicking scene with one of them. 

Spoiler How Arya could sneak past all those White Walkers and kill the king undetected.

Yet when she was in the library she was reduced to skulking about with all the grace of a hippo lol.

Yet when she was in the library she was reduced to skulking about with all the grace of a hippo lol.
She did slide under that table impossibly quietly to be fair.

Running around the library really quietly, not making a sound was foreshadowing for later

Well she got spotted in the library, then spotted again while leaving it. That and her nervousness made it come across that she could barely handle skulking about a library with all its crannies but then manages to sneak up on a ton of them, out in the open...

If she nicked the face of one of them then fair enough, but then she didn't have their face when jumping the Night King at the end.

Edited by Sheikah

I don't buy that she stole one of their faces. Most of them don't even have any skin, how could she steal a face!?

I just assumed she was super sneaky. The reason she wasn't in proper assassin mode in the library was because she was scared and forgot her training. Her chat with fire witch woman made her snap out of it.

I don't remember her not being super sneaky in the library. The only thing that gave her away was the drops of blood on the floor.

I think the more likely explanation is that the Night King at the end and his wights didn't give a fuck. There is a point outside where they all start walking towards Bran and generally ignoring or at least paying less attention to the people they previously fought outside. The Night King underestimated Arya by grabbing her rather than cutting her down on her approach, probably because of her appearance. And it made good TV.

Edited by Sheikah

All these posts above show up in the "Posts"-menu to the right, perhaps spoiling it to people.

Fair enough, I'll spoiler it.

Edited by Sheikah