NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Game of Thrones

22 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:
  Spoilers from opening episode (Hide contents)

Yeah, I said something similar to that today. In fairness, the running times are a bit longer, so that should help a little. I have faith in the creators that they've got a plan and will finish the ending in a satisfying way. Hopefully the shorter amount of episodes means that the pace of the show moves swiftly. Maybe it's better than having plotlines drag on for the sake of filling time. 

(the whole Theon/Euron/Yara plotline is a bit shit anyway, or at least it's one of the weaker ones in the wider picture of the show)

It's weak in the books as well. 

I enjoyed the episode even though not much happened. It had a nice foreshadowing feel to it and you all know that it had to be this way with people gathering and moving around.

Spoiler

I agree that the Greyjoy rescue felt a bit rushed. Why not spend at least ten minutes on that, extending the episode beyond an hour as almost all the rest of the episodes?

The dragon flying scene was a bit much and longer than it needed to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing Daenerys' reaction to the news that Jon is actually the rightful heir to the throne. If he survives the season, will he sit on the iron throne or will he forfeit it, letting Daenerys rule instead?

Sam's reaciton to the news that his father and brother are dead was very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing if that has any consequence to his loyalties - also because Jon didn't dismiss the action and said that he would probably be able to do the same.

The Umber-kid on the wall by the end was chilling and creepy - suddenly the Night King creates art with his killings? A bit weird but cool nonetheless.

Naughty, spoilery things

He did it in the pilot as well. Clearly just has art in his soul.

@bob You should work on your quoting skills. You just showed everything MindFreak put in the spoiler tag.

[mention=229]bob[/mention] You should work on your quoting skills. You just showed everything MindFreak put in the spoiler tag.
I pressed the "Quote" button. Everything that happened after that is not my fault.

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@bob You should work on your quoting skills. You just showed everything MindFreak put in the spoiler tag.

Still, editing your post now would help others avoid spoilers.

50 minutes ago, bob said:

He did it in the pilot as well. Clearly just has art in his soul.

Ah, I don't remember that. Too long ago!

Edited by MindFreak

What a great episode. So many awesome and emotional moments.

This will be a long week...

• Like 2

The White Walkers best start getting their shit in gear. Apart from one small skirmish and a nazi-javellin session in the last season, all they do is stand about. Get off your fucking horses and do some work.

• Haha 2

I enjoyed yesterday's episode a lot more than last week but it seems a bit strange to me that we've had seven years and two episodes, and only NOW are finally getting a proper white walker battle... with 4 episodes of the show left. I'll be amazed if they wrap up not only the white walker storyline but the whole of Westeros in a satisfying way in just 4 episodes.

Edited by Ronnie

Yeah kind of agree with the above. There's also a distinct chance that all of the white walker storyline will be wrapped up next week - what an anticlimax that would be after a seven season buildup! Hoping the white walkers crush it and the rest of the series will be one long sprawl of escape and death.

Thought this week's eppy was terrific though. Reminded me why I love the show, after the tepid opener. Reminded me of the bit in Witcher 3 before the battle at Kaer Moren where you're getting smashed with the other main characters. Excellently written, some great lines amidst some touching moments. Loved it.

The White Walkers best start getting their shit in gear. Apart from one small skirmish and a nazi-javellin session in the last season, all they do is stand about. Get off your fucking horses and do some work.
No way, as soon as they start fighting you can kiss goodbye to all the meaningful character interactions all over Westeros and say hello to a LOTR Return of the King-style battle taking up the next few episodes.

If I recall next weeks episode is 82 minutes and yeah, after the whole episode dedicated to The Battle of The Bastards - I'd fully expect the whole thing to be a battle. I think a movie length battle will be a satisfying enough end to a seven-season build up. Well, that's it's good which I have no doubt it will be. :D

Regarding this week's episode: 

Spoiler

I properly welled up when Brienne got knighted - and I am glad she did too. She's been a really lovely, bloody cool well rounded character. 

Personally I'd rather they spent 45 minutes on the battle and then the following 37 on advancing the various storylines. There's a lot to wrap up and not much time to do it, especially if there's another big battle against the white walkers coming in a future episode (I can't imagine the good guys defeat them straight away)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheikah said:
17 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

No way, as soon as they start fighting you can kiss goodbye to all the meaningful character interactions all over Westeros and say hello to a LOTR Return of the King-style battle taking up the next few episodes.

Yes, it's almost as if it's the final battle for the survival of all.

I'm expecting

Spoiler

Episode 3: Fight against the dead
Episode 4: Flee south
Episode 5: Face Cersei and defeat her
Episode 6: FIght against the dead with Qyburn

I don't hope the fight itself will last for more than one episode. That much battle will become boring. 

Anyone else wondering why nobody was surprised when Bran mentioned the dragon? It seems that they don't really think about it at all.

I enjoyed the episode, it felt very ultimate-ish and ominous where all tried to tie the knots and just try to be calm. I think it was very fitting and very atmospheric. I don't need much action as long as dialogue is well-written.

Edited by MindFreak

3 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Yes, it's almost as if it's the final battle for the survival of all.

It's going to happen, but battles generally don't do much for me. Give me political plays and twists over grand battles any day of the week. I really hope the battle is fairly short and they spend more time wrapping up the plot at the end. I don't think it'll happen though...

• Like 1

Anyone else wondering why nobody was surprised when Bran

The way everyone treats Bran is a bit odd to be honest. They just kind of ignore him, and pretend he isn't there. Tyrion is the only one who is like "hang on, you are some magical all-seeing eye and you know everything that has ever happened, imma have a chat!"

22 minutes ago, bob said:

The way everyone treats Bran is a bit odd to be honest. They just kind of ignore him, and pretend he isn't there. Tyrion is the only one who is like "hang on, you are some magical all-seeing eye and you know everything that has ever happened, imma have a chat!"

Have you noticed that Bran doesn't get moved around now either. He's just always where he needs to be...pretty disconcerting.

The problem of course is that, ever since the writers of the show ran out of material from the books, the quality of the writing has dropped significantly. 

Which is why certain character actions don't make sense and why characters make stupid decisions. The whole plot of the last season was written backwards which is why there was that really silly idea of going on that infamous expedition beyond the wall.

While the show is still this very enjoyable rollercoaster ride, it doesn't have that same depth anymore, and lacks certain elements that made it good to begin with (e.g. the political intrigue). Ultimately it's all held together thanks to the endless cast of great characters, almost all well acted and with great production to boot.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed this season so far but I'm concerned that we're a third of the way through the season and not a lot has happened. I expect a big battle next week with lots of dying.

Bran did tell them about the *spoiler*, he said "he's one of them now" in the first episode.

28 minutes ago, Zell said:

The problem of course is that, ever since the writers of the show ran out of material from the books, the quality of the writing has dropped significantly. 

Which is why certain character actions don't make sense and why characters make stupid decisions. The whole plot of the last season was written backwards which is why there was that really silly idea of going on that infamous expedition beyond the wall.

While the show is still this very enjoyable rollercoaster ride, it doesn't have that same depth anymore, and lacks certain elements that made it good to begin with (e.g. the political intrigue). Ultimately it's all held together thanks to the endless cast of great characters, almost all well acted and with great production to boot.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed this season so far but I'm concerned that we're a third of the way through the season and not a lot has happened. I expect a big battle next week with lots of dying.

Yeah I completely agree with this. The other problem of them running out of book material + the show's popularity is that there's a ton of fan service, which normally is a good thing but they just take it so far. Also they seem absolutely obsessed with callbacks and mirroring earlier season quotes/situations/camera angles/scenes etc. I've lost count now. Not everything needs to mirror the earlier seasons but it seems the showrunners disagree.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Bran did tell them about the *spoiler*, he said "he's one of them now" in the first episode.

Yes but they were not surprised and have not taken any measures to counteract it it seems.

And yeah, it's clear that they have run out of source material and thus, the writing is a bit less impactful this time around. If only mr. Martin would stop doing everything else and finish the work he started.. but I suspect we'll never get the true ending to the books.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

I'm happy with the way this series is going purely because I called it wrong. I was convinced episodes 1-3 would be them fighting off Cersei, and 4-6 on the zombies. The way they've switched it around leads me to believe everything goes wrong in the next episode, lots of deaths, Winterfell falls, and Cersei just twists the knife.

Still hoping we'll get a bit of Sean Bean before the end.