NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Game of Thrones

(shamelessly stolen from Twitter)

CHg1_IPW8AA34sJ.jpg

It wasn't that many seasons ago I hated the guy, now he is one my favourites. Should have seen it coming then.

Edited by Tales

They have to introduce more characters next season at this rate! But it seems convenient that Melisandre just arrived at Castle Black at this point in the story so Jon Snow will probably be saved by her, one way or the other.

It finally happened: Most of the storylines have now caught up with the books! It's going to be interesting what happens next season!

EDIT: Ok, ignore my rant, I've just done research, and feel like a massive douche. Still didn't like the way it was handled though...

EDIT 2:

Actually, I found this on Wiki...

In the 2015 Season 5 finale "Mother's Mercy", Jon is stabbed to death by Alliser Thorne and several men of the Night's Watch after being labeled a traitor.[35] With Martin's 2011 novel A Dance with Dragons vague on Jon's fate, Harington confirmed the character's death in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, saying "I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season.

Well, fuck.... :( Unless he's lying...

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Are we allowed to openly speculate based on monologues not in the TV show yet? in conjunction with GRR's own statements

because you all know nothing

EDIT: Ok, ignore my rant, I've just done research, and feel like a massive douche. Still didn't like the way it was handled though...

EDIT 2:

Actually, I found this on Wiki...

Well, fuck.... :( Unless he's lying...

Berric Dondarion died many times, but was resurrected by his Red God follower many times(forget his name keep calling him Thanos). Melissandre is about in the area???? BTW, so was Caitlin. The dead do come back for some more in these books. Personally though, I think he should stay dead, I like Jon but his time has come.

Massive spoilers follow, you've been warned.

Surely he's going to be brought back. There is literally no other reason for Melissandre to be there. As she walked into Castle Black at the end of the episode I literally thought, "Where does she think she's going?" Do they just keep a room for her there?

Also, isn't Jon meant to be a Targaryen? They wouldn't spend five season with him that end in sod all. I know this is Game of Thrones, but that's beyond Chekovian.

Massive spoilers follow, you've been warned.
Surely he's going to be brought back. There is literally no other reason for Melissandre to be there. As she walked into Castle Black at the end of the episode I literally thought, "Where does she think she's going?" Do they just keep a room for her there?

Also, isn't Jon meant to be a Targaryen? They wouldn't spend five season with him that end in sod all. I know this is Game of Thrones, but that's beyond Chekovian.

I'm fairly sure he'll be back. We know that those who serve the light (can) have the ability to resurrect others when that guy who was killed by The Mountain/Hound (I forget which one it was) was brought back. So I think it's safe to assume Melissandre can also do this.

Also isn't the whole damn thing meant to be about Dany and Jon as well? A Song of Ice (Jon) and Fire (Dany)

And regarding Kit Harrington saying he's dead for good, what the hell else is he going to say? He can't exactly just say, 5 minutes after he dies on screen, "lol jks I'll be back next season"

[spoiler=

this week's episode] I feel they've used dragons as an Ex Machina one too many times but it still works.

It's been like that in the show, but their story was more fleshed out in the books so it made more sense.

Also, isn't Jon meant to be a Targaryen?

R+L=J is only fan theory. In the books most evidence points to Jon's mother being Wylla the wet nurse (and his father being Eddard). Ned tells Robert that it's Wylla, and Lord Edric Dayne tells Arya that Wylla is Jon's mother, and he and Jon are therefore milk brothers.

And regarding Kit Harrington saying he's dead for good, what the hell else is he going to say? He can't exactly just say, 5 minutes after he dies on screen, "lol jks I'll be back next season"

Exactly. And further to that GRRM/the writers would likely tell Kit that he's dead anyway, in order to minimise the risk of leaks, until they absolutely needed to bring him back for filming.

Edited by MoogleViper

There was also the thing from the original Game of Thrones pitch letter that

leaked earlier this year that identified the 5 key players as Daenerys, Tyrion, Bran, Arya and Jon. Things can change, of course, and the TV show can differ from the books, but I can't see him being dead for good.

It's been like that in the show, but their story was more fleshed out in the books so it made more sense.

R+L=J is only fan theory. In the books most evidence points to Jon's mother being Wylla the wet nurse (and his father being Eddard). Ned tells Robert that it's Wylla, and Lord Edric Dayne tells Arya that Wylla is Jon's mother, and he and Jon are therefore milk brothers.

Exactly. And further to that GRRM/the writers would likely tell Kit that he's dead anyway, in order to minimise the risk of leaks, until they absolutely needed to bring him back for filming.

I would say that R+L=J is more than just a fan theory, I think the majority of book readers consider it almost certain at this point.

All evidence in the books really does point to R+L=J being true, I just don;t see any other realistic alternative. You talk about Wylla and Edric Dayne, but I think they're pretty obvious red herrings.

If you don't really believe it, look at Episode 4 in Season 5. They were setting up R+L=J in a big way that was quite obvious to book readers. First we have Stannis saying "that wasn't Ned Stark's way" when talking about fathering a bastard. Later we have the Winterfell crypt scene where they talk about Rhaegar and Lyanna (notice the Littlefinger's face when Sansa mentions Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna). Then even later, we have Barristan saying how noble and great of a person Rhaegar was to Dany (don't think Barristan was lying either, since in a previous episode he told Dany that the tales of the Mad King were all true).

What will be interesting will be how they reveal it. I reckon it will be through some kind of Weirwood flashback with Bran.

Anyway, what did everyone think of the season as a whole? I personally thought that they really botched some of the story lines (the Dorne storyline in particular was a massive failure all round). It doesn't really give me confidence that the show writers know what they're doing if they don't have any book material to follow.

Having said that, this season did have some absolutely fantastic moments - Hardhome and "The Walk" being two of the best scenes in the entire series.

I'm a bit nervous about next season, hopefully GRRM will finally release The Winds of Winter before the next season airs so I can feel more comfortable.

GRRM will never release Winds of Winter. He's too busy trying to work out how to kill off everyone you ever knew and loved.

My friend reckons the end of the books will end with the Others coming and murdering everyone, and plunging the world into a permanent winter. No-one will survive.

Overall I enjoyed season 5, it did feel dragged out though, as though they wanted to get through the season without advancing things too fast. Part of the issue may be too many story branches, I mean what happened with Bran in season 5? I can't even remember, he was barely in it. Was it just me or did the epsiodes feel slightly shorter?

Overall I enjoyed season 5, it did feel dragged out though, as though they wanted to get through the season without advancing things too fast. Part of the issue may be too many story branches, I mean what happened with Bran in season 5? I can't even remember, he was barely in it. Was it just me or did the epsiodes feel slightly shorter?

He wasn't in season 5 at all.

I hope they ended that storyline. If everyone forgets about it, there's no need to waste precious airtime on it.

The Bran storyline was so much better in the books. Have they even mentioned Rickon in the show?

It was shaping up for Rickon to have a fairly important/integral storyline

The Bran storyline was so much better in the books. Have they even mentioned Rickon in the show?

Theon told Sansa that Bran and Rickon were still alive somewhere.

Theon told Sansa that Bran and Rickon were still alive somewhere.

Yeah but in the books by this point Lord Manderley had told Davos that Rickon was at Skagos. But Davis isn't even at White Harbour, and it is implied that there is now nobody to send him there.

The wiki page says that he'll be in season 6, so perhaps his story will informed there.

Mother fucking Chris Isaak!

I watched the first couple of minutes of that thinking 'I don't remember that...' before I realised that they've gone beyond the books! This season is going to be so weird...

YES!! I am so ready. I've really fallen for this show over the last couple years. You can just practically taste the millions of dollars that HBO are pouring into it. The Telltale series has right prepared me too.

Also looking forward to not having the book readers be little bitches for three months of the year.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

I only watched season 5 last week, after finally receiving the blu-ray box (after almost a year of unsuccesful spoiler dodging). I have a little less than a 2 weeks reprieve from this spoiler dodging.. Hoping I'm more succesful this time. I may watch the trailer, but that'll be it.

The #1 dad is funny though. But sad.

Just finished season 5 and I think it's getting a bit tiring to watch now. It almost seems like nothing good ever happens. It can be quite predictable at times. Name the bad outcome of an event and that's normally what happens.