NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Game of Thrones

I haven't read the books but honestly called this would happen awhile ago!

Think it was last series now when nights watch sent out all them letters about shit going to go down north of the wall... The red queen read it and looked into the fire and said something like 'he is right, the real battle lies north of the wall (rather than the throne)

And then when he got the money from the bank I felt they were building up to it! :)

Also re Bran and 'making him fly'. If anyone can control a dragon it would be there 'kind' no? Maybe bran is gonna fly on that mother fucker! Or just control him...

I thought it seemed quite obvious that Jojen had at least foreseen his own death... so it wasn't a huge surprise to see him die. I don't think there would've been much for the character in the next series so it makes sense (and drama) for him to die now.

I need to re-read the books but I'm sure Tyrion had a more meaningful conversation with Tywin before killing him. I was disappointed at them leaving it out as it makes Tyrion's murder of Tywin seem a bit... nonchalant? The episode was over an hour though so I understand the need to shorten it :p

Yeah, they talked about Tysha. And wherever whores go. In the series, they only really talked about Shae.

That's still a huge part to leave out, really.

Where the hell was Catlyn Stark/Lady Stoneheart? even Lena headly teased us on twitter with stones forming a heart! god damn it they could have ended with a woman in a hood pan round and its her that would have been a cliff hanger ending there!

I've not read this thread for fear of spoilers, but just wanted to say that I haven't seen the show at all but I am presently nearing the end of book 2 - I can see this series being up there as one of my favourite books/series ever(living alongside Harry Potter and HDM). It's incredibly addictive to read, and would recommend any fans of the show to try giving the books a go! I was hooked within pages of the first book.

I've not read this thread for fear of spoilers, but just wanted to say that I haven't seen the show at all but I am presently nearing the end of book 2 - I can see this series being up there as one of my favourite books/series ever(living alongside Harry Potter and HDM). It's incredibly addictive to read, and would recommend any fans of the show to try giving the books a go! I was hooked within pages of the first book.

You're in for treat. I watched the first two seasons of the show before reading all the books back-to-back. They are some of my favourite books of all time. I have never been so engrossed in a book series before. In particular, A Storm of Swords is absolutely incredible.

Would also highly recommend watching the adaptation once you've finished the books. It is, for the most part, very faithful to the books and besides that it is blockbuster TV of the highest calibre - incredible production values and amazing acting all round. Must-watch stuff.

You're in for treat. I watched the first two seasons of the show before reading all the books back-to-back. They are some of my favourite books of all time. I have never been so engrossed in a book series before. In particular, A Storm of Swords is absolutely incredible.

Would also highly recommend watching the adaptation once you've finished the books. It is, for the most part, very faithful to the books and besides that it is blockbuster TV of the highest calibre - incredible production values and amazing acting all round. Must-watch stuff.

I heard mixed stuff on how true to the books they are, but yeah basically cos everyone's been chatting about GoT for so long I thought I'd attack the books first - similar to yourself it's been a long time since I've been so engrossed in something. The chaptering by character name is a really nice format that keeps you going, cos once you finish you immediately know what/who the next chapters about and you kinda think 'oooh, ok just one more chapter'. I need to get my hands on the next few books, borrowed the first two off Magnus Peterson, and feel a bit bad because I've been at them so much and taking them everywhere they're getting rather a battering compared to how I received them :x

I'd watched season 1 before getting into the books and I have to say what a faithful adaption season 1 is. There are more differences as you progress through the seasons but overall it's a very faithful adaption and I felt no frustration at things being changed later on as it mostly seemed understandable. I'm currently re-reading book 1 now and I'm still engrossed. It's extremely well written and the plot/history is mental when you think about it all being thought up by just one person.

That reminds me of one thing I keep meaning to find out - how closely do the series tally to the books? Like is Season 1 book 1, Season 2 book 2? I heard it diverges at some point, but I don't know where abouts? Just thinking I might start watching before I get through all of the books, but then don't want to jump ahead of myself(which I'll end up doing if I have to stop a season half way through :p)

Season 1 is pretty much book 1. Season 2 continues the end of book 1 and goes on to book 2 but that's where things start to get ahead. Some things are shown in season 2 that don't happen until book 3 but not many. Season 3 is where they really start merging books.

I'd say if you want to read the books first, at this point it's better to just try and get through all of them before watching the show.

I watched S1 when it came out and just caught up on the remaining 3. Very good.

I am DESPERATE to read the books....but....like...I don't do books. Will I read them? Is there audio books?

I watched S1 when it came out and just caught up on the remaining 3. Very good.

I am DESPERATE to read the books....but....like...I don't do books. Will I read them? Is there audio books?

There is audio books, indeed. However, the books themselves include extensive character lists, which could be useful to keep track of the minor characters / the ones that weren't adapted.

There's audiobooks for everything :p

I can't believe you 'don't do books' ;) they're so easy to get into :)

Yeah, the books are incredibly engaging. One just can't put them down.

I find them difficult to read to be honest with you, they just dont grab me. I think its because iv watched the show though, i need to power through to the new material!

For anyone that "doesn't do books" but fancies giving them a go I absolutely have to recommend you give Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury a go.

I know this doesn't relate to GoT, but I have to say it!

Season 1 is pretty much book 1. Season 2 continues the end of book 1 and goes on to book 2 but that's where things start to get ahead. Some things are shown in season 2 that don't happen until book 3 but not many. Season 3 is where they really start merging books.

I'd say if you want to read the books first, at this point it's better to just try and get through all of them before watching the show.

That's the plan! Was just worried I might end up with some idle thumbs - all's well now though, less than 100 pages to go in Clash of Kings and both books from a Storm of Swords now in my possesion(all thanks for Magnus Peterson) - I think I'll have enough to last another few weeks now!

I keep finding it hard to decide on my favourite characters now too, every time I get a bit bored of one they suddenly come into their own in their next chapter. Definitely got my favourites/least, but it's still all good!

I barely read books ever these days, but anyone who says "I don't read books" immediately loses a bit of respect from me :P I totally get it though -- watching tv/movies or playing games (or reading comics) is just a far more visual and immediate form of entertainment that it's easy to look at a book and not think that the time spent on it would be worth it.

I barely read books ever these days, but anyone who says "I don't read books" immediately loses a bit of respect from me :P I totally get it though -- watching tv/movies or playing games (or reading comics) is just a far more visual and immediate form of entertainment that it's easy to look at a book and not think that the time spent on it would be worth it.

Some people just aren't into fiction and don't read novels because of that and that's fine, as long as they do another form of reading such as the newspaper or a magazine (The Economist rather than cosmo).

Queen.jpg

She should've sat on it.

I don't disagree with you charlie, however I may call a chicken-and-the-egg and argue that nobody has read the economist without having read fiction previously. I will preserve my argument for the power of reading from a young age for another thread!

I don't disagree with you charlie, however I may call a chicken-and-the-egg and argue that nobody has read the economist without having read fiction previously. I will preserve my argument for the power of reading from a young age for another thread!

No, Jay! Don't do it!

:indeed: