NEurope
Guy

Nostalgia: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Yeah Paul Schrier reprised the role of Bulk in PR: Samurai and PR: Super Samurai, always felt he was very forced in there as some fanservice and always seemed out of place given he had very little interaction with the ranger characters.

Skull made a cameo in the very last ep of Super Samurai to pick up his son Spike who had been staying with "Uncle" Bulk... again that felt weird, Skull shows up in a Limo, appears to have made a fortune and just leave Bulks behind.

DO WANT NOW PLEASE!!!!!!

Still waiting on Toys R US UK to get in the Green/White Ranger Morpher and coins too....HURRY UP

Edited by Mokong

To this day I swear that before the movie came out, I saw some footage on TV which never made it into the movie, and I've never seen since. It was the Black Ranger, in movie getup, wielding his axe (which was definitely not in the movie).

It was during some kind of entertainment news show which aired during or just after kids' afternoon TV, where the anchors were puppets.

At the time I was totally into Power Rangers, but I was only 7-8, I didn't even know what I'd seen. I watched that show every week from then on thinking that it would show more, but it never did.

I remember vaguely seeing that too.

I read before that there were some scenes that were cut from final film that made it into trailers and/or TV spots.

I also think I read somewhere that there is a screen of the scene you described (Black Ranger with Axe) on the back of the VHS boxart.... and maybe the DVD too?

Randomly searching Netflix US, it has all the series. There's a lot of episodes, didn't know series 1 had 60 episodes filmed.

Edit: Noticed a little error in the original pilot episode, all the Rangers already have the Communicators on. This is BEFORE they even are selected to be Power Rangers.

Edited by Jimbob

I watched Mega Force before Christmas since I was pretty interested the Pirate version (whatever that's called), can't say I was as enthusiastic about it as Mokong though. :p

I think it's to do with the teens whom I don't like very much. I don't think the acting is great, not that I expect much mind, most of them seem to be models which probably explains it. The script is very cheesy as well.

I did wonder if nostalgia was prevent me from noticing these kinds of things in MMPR so I rewatched some "Green with Evil" and I don't think that is the case. Although MMPR did also have a few bad episodes.

As a side note, I accidentally watched the "remastered" MMPR from a couple of years back. Don't. They added some really terrible effects to it and made it more comic book/Adam West Batman like.

One thing I did like about it was.

They actually killed off one of the major enemies fairly early on.

Maybe I should watch the Japanese version?

Trying not to be too negative in the Nostalgia thread. I've had to resist pretty hard about buying the Megazord. The dagger looks cool as well. Those sound effects instantly take me back.

I watched Mega Force before Christmas since I was pretty interested the Pirate version (whatever that's called), can't say I was as enthusiastic about it as Mokong though. :p

Do you mean my enthusiasm in waiting for "Super Megaforce" or for the the recenty finished "Megaforce"? Didn't think I gave off much enthusiasm for the latter, it's the former I'm excited for since it'll be the true anniversary tribute show.

Super Megaforce (coming some time this year) is what will be adapting the "Pirate" ranger theme from Japan.

I'm pretty hyped for it for the potential of what it could be, though I wouldn't be surprised if it falls flat, while they seem to have gotten a good few vetern rangers back there doesn't seem to be enough coverage of "all the teams"... unless they have gotten others to return but not announced, shown in pics to keep as a suprise.

Watching some eps of Gokaiger it looks like they have tribute eps for most previous shows and have at least 1 member of the those teams return. Power Rangers prolly won't achive that much but hopefully what they do produce will be good.

I'm more looking forward to seeing how the story goes, how the transforming into other teams will be handled in the US version and hopefully some decent explanations for things (how can Tommy get Green Ranger powers back? What is up with the Dairanger suits appearing? How will RPM and SPD be explained..one Alt Universe and other took place in future). And of course seeing how and when past characters return and hopefully they are handled well and build up nicely to this "Mega War" for he finale.

The actors of Megaforce (who will continue in Super Megaforce) are indeed dire I agree, I'm looking past all that and hoping everything else is decent/good to make up. The Red Ranger is prolly the the 2nd worst they've had (worst being Red from Samurai/Super Samurai), Blue and Pink are both horrid also, Black (who will become Green in Super Megaforce) and Yellow are half decent though IMO.

In Megaforce I was mainly just waiting for the final ep to see what kind cliffhanger they'd leave it on and I was hoping at the end we'd see them get their "Super Megaforce" (Pirate) suits/powers and maybe end on them then transforming into the original MMPR suits for a bit of fanservice.

Sadly we didn't get that, just a standard "world in danger, heroes on the run" cliff hanger :(

Some eps of Megaforce were decent though, the very first ep was filled with nostaglia, using a some lines from the first ep of MMPR that made me laugh a little :D

A few other decent eps were when Robo Knight first appears and the one after I think, first ep with Metal Alice and she tried to get Robo Knight to join her, the ep with teh runaway train.... actually I think Robo Knight was prolly the best character of the season as he actually "grew" somewhat as it went on. Then the last 3 eps made up a pretty decent finale.

But then there were horrid eps like the one with the monster who traps people by making them laugh and Blue and Robo do a comedy act to try make teh monster laugh. And the one with the monster that played Heavy Metal music that hurt everyones ears and Pink beat him by singing a sweet song.... I prefered the Monsters music to her singing :heh:

Still no sign of a date for when Super Megaforce will start airing though:mad:

Or of the Green Legacy Morpher or Dragon Dagger on Toys R Us UK :mad:

Ah might try finish watching Gokaiger, only got through like 10 eps before Xmas/New Year happened

EDIT:

Oh just spotted this on Youtube... think it's teh finished version of the unfinished marketing vids I posted on previous page.

Only just spotted at 56seconds it shows the team morph into the "Super Megaforce" suits.

It seems the guy who was Blue in Megaforce will change to Green. And teh guy who was Black will change to Blue.

I always assumed they'd just have the guy who was black become Green and have the other 4 keep their colours. I was of course wondering how that would work given the vastly differing personalities of Gokaiger's Green with Megaforce's Black which does show alot even when suited-up (for Gokai Green). Thought maybe they planned to get really creative with their use of the Gokaiger footage.

So having Blue become Green and Black become Blue for Super Megaforce actually makes much more sense and should translate well for when they use the Gokaiger footage.

Also noticed in that same bit it seems they still use their Megaforce Morphers to change to "Super Megaforce" rangers and after which the morphers change to the "Key/Lock" morphers from Gokaiger.

EDIT:

No wait just spotted at 1min 46sec there's another Morph seqence where the Megaforce Black does become Super Mage Green and Blue remains Blue.... ggrrrr...WTF

Do you mean my enthusiasm in waiting for "Super Megaforce" or for the the recenty finished "Megaforce"? Didn't think I gave off much enthusiasm for the latter, it's the former I'm excited for since it'll be the true anniversary tribute show.

Oh. I was under the impression you liked Megaforce for some reason.

The actors of Megaforce (who will continue in Super Megaforce) are indeed dire I agree, I'm looking past all that and hoping everything else is decent/good to make up. The Red Ranger is prolly the the 2nd worst they've had (worst being Red from Samurai/Super Samurai), Blue and Pink are both horrid also, Black (who will become Green in Super Megaforce) and Yellow are half decent though IMO.

I liked Blue. Black and Yellow were OK. Red "Do you see any tears?" and Pink were more robotic than Robo Knight. The Yellow actor posts a lot of PR stuff on Twitter/Instagram though so I guess she enjoys doing it, she seemed pretty grumpy in the first few epsiodes but I guess that's what her character is meant to be like.

A few other decent eps were when Robo Knight first appears and the one after I think, first ep with Metal Alice and she tried to get Robo Knight to join her, the ep with teh runaway train.... actually I think Robo Knight was prolly the best character of the season as he actually "grew" somewhat as it went on. Then the last 3 eps made up a pretty decent finale.

I wanted to like him but they made it hard to do so. "Hey, maybe I should work with the Power Rangers.... NOPE! /troll".

I think I expected more from Alice trying to convert him but it seems to have fell flat and didn't really go anywhere. Maybe next season?

I think your giving them too much credit for explaining stuff, but we'll see. :laughing:

Was watching an episode of Power Rangers last night, either the Megazord has a secret (which isn't being secretive), Rita can mysteriously grow anything in radius of her wand. Or we need to worry about the Japanese.

(Note, bad editing)

1545857_478740968901662_394072320_n.jpg

Super Megaforce starts Feb 15th in the US... wonder when it'll start in the UK... I assume Channel 5 will have it again?

What are the odds of Netflix adding eps after they air in the states :heh:

At 21sec is a clip of the Mega War, with the originally filmed US footage rather than Super Sentai

This baby arrived today

mmmm

20140122_181509_zps96588121.jpg

20140122_181521_zps3b8b5273.jpg

20140122_1816050_zps81516f2c.jpg

also i have a boxed spare unopened thats going on ebay since TRU charged me twice and sent two when i only had one order! more hassle than its worth attempting to return to the states

Awesome. How much did shipping cost you from the States? I tempted to import if ToysRus UK dont get it soon

Edited by Mokong

in total it cost me £53.13 for everything...IIRC the morpher was actually £38 so thats £15 postage and it came in 4 days, no customs at all (no declaration on the box so it seems to have bypassed it altogether....)

My fiancé wanted some episodes of Power Rangers for teaching purposes, and so I downloaded a couple last night to watch.

I nostalgia'd all over the living room.

I had forgotten how truly awful the acting and writing was though. Like, far worse than other children's shows off the same era.

So I got tired of waiting for Toys R Us UK to add the Green/White Ranger Legacy Morpher to their site so I just ordered it from the US site :D Hope shipping don't take too long to get here.

Knowing my luck now though that'll mean the UK site will have it tomorrow.

Also while I was on the US site I noticed they now have the Legacy Dragon Dagger up for pre-order for release March 18th. Costs $80 though.... better start saving again methinks :D

OK so Super Megaforce started in the states and I just found teh first ep on Youtube, so pretty much so long as the eps keep appearing on YT I'll just post them here :)

Also my Green/White Ranger Legacy Morpher should be here next week so should have an unboxing vid prolly next weekend :)

Anyway first ep of PR: Super Megaforce

It was a decent opening ep, didn't faff about too much with explainations, picked up right where they left off and just dived into the action (Here's new powers go kick ass!)

Though I was a bit disappointed that the first fight sequence was a 100% copy and redub (minus of course a couple of pre-Zyuranger suits which I think were used in Gokaigers first ep) of the first fight sequence in Gokaiger.

Not totally unexpected of course, but I did think/Hope that they would shoot some original footage where the team would morph into the original MMPR suits (Zyuranger), I knew they didn't use those suits in Gokaigers first ep but I thought given this is a big celebration of the history of Power Rangers that they would have made some orginal footage so that either the first or last "Legendary Morph" of the fight would be the original suits.

Can't remember 100% but I'm almost certain that Gokaiger used the original GoRanger Super Sentai suits for a bit in their first eps fight.

Maybe they'll save it for another ep that will hopefully be mostly original footage that pays proper tribute to MMPR...hopefully that'll be the 2nd ep :heh:

EDIT

I did like though when the Black ranger notices his Super Megaforce Key is the "wrong colour", had a little chuckle at that moment.

Still trying to figure out how they'll explain the massive difference in personalities of teh AMerican actors/characters to their equivelent Gokaigers Green and Blue counterparts. But it seemed to work ok in this first ep anyway

Edited by Mokong

Quite like new "Pirate" mode, as I call it. First ep wasn't bad indeed, didn't think they would go through so many ranger powers in one episode. Hope they tone it down a little in future eps. ;)

I did like though when the Black ranger notices his Super Megaforce Key is the "wrong colour", had a little chuckle at that moment.

Still trying to figure out how they'll explain the massive difference in personalities of teh AMerican actors/characters to their equivelent Gokaigers Green and Blue counterparts. But it seemed to work ok in this first ep anyway

Haha, yeah. I liked how he had an explanation but got conveniently interrupted. :p

I guess they'll just explain it as being part of their new powers or something. I see what you mean when Red fights cowardly.

Saw an episode of "regular" Megaforce where the Red Ranger had a dream involving several of the old school Rangers. You can see they're trying to build up to it.

Don't know what all the fisting of the Red Ranger is all about. In Samurai they couldn't get enough of pointing this out. I don't recall Jason getting that much attention.

Quite like new "Pirate" mode, as I call it. First ep wasn't bad indeed, didn't think they would go through so many ranger powers in one episode. Hope they tone it down a little in future eps. ;)

From what I remember of the Gokaiger eps I did watch likely the only ones that will be "toned" down will be the ones where in Gokaiger they used a lot of pre-Zyuranger suits.

The first ep was actually a combination of the first 2 of Gokaiger, Gokaigers first ep ended with the first monster and the 2nd was in ep2. THey obviously had to make up a fair bit of time from cutting out pre-Zyuranger suits plus I think they really wanted to use the 5 Red Ranger scene.

Speaking of which I found out that the scene where they all were different red Rangers was actually original American footage.

In Gokaiger, Green turned into Goseiger Red (ie: Megaforce Red) so Saban reshot that to have Overdrive Red instead. So I guess that means they don't have keys for a "Megaforce Legendary Mode" as that would be more of a downgrade given the way they are treating the "Pirate Mode" as an upgrade of their Megaforce powers.

The reshooting of this scene also meant removing a lot of Gokai Greens comedic poses so I wonder if maybe they reshot a few/a lot of scenes to make up for the personality difference between PR's now Green and Gokai's Green.

But again finding that out pisses me off a bit thinking they reshot that scene but didn't switch in MMPR Red instead when they had a perfect chance to...they must be saving the MMPR suits for something special (hopefully)

Haha, yeah. I liked how he had an explanation but got conveniently interrupted. :p

I read people saying they should make that a running joke through the season. When something needs explaining one of the rangers should come close to breaking that 4th wall but be interrupted.

On other place they could do it is for the SPD powers.

Ranger: "So if these SPD powers are used by a group of rangers from teh future way do we have them?"

Gosei: "There's an easy explanation for that..."

EXPLOSION

One thing I am releived by from a "explanation" point of view is I took a look at an episode guide for the 15 that have been given titles and from that some people worked out which Gokaiger eps were being coverted for which Super Megaforce ep.

There is an ep that will be tribute to RPM in which the rangers actually dimension jump to the RPM alt-reality so that will nicely do for me as an explaination of how they get access to teh RPM powers.

Like Gokaiger a lot of eps will be tribute eps to previous shows but oddly it seems not all Gokaiger Tribute eps that dealt with a team that has a PR counter part are being converted.... but there are 5 eps at the end that aren't title yet.

Also Gokaiger never did a Zyuranger tribute so Saban had better had filmed a fully original ep to make one.

I guess they'll just explain it as being part of their new powers or something. I see what you mean when Red fights cowardly.

You mean Green right :wink:

Don't know what all the fisting of the Red Ranger is all about. In Samurai they couldn't get enough of pointing this out. I don't recall Jason getting that much attention.

Yeah newer seasons seem to love fisting the Red Ranger, though I think Samurai was the worst for this IMO.

Anyway in other Power Ranger news I just spotted that they announced details on the season for next year after Super Megaforce.

It will be Power Rangers Dino Charge, which will be an adapation of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger which aired in Japan last year.

250px-Normal_prdcposter1-highres.jpg

I'm hoping the return to a Dino theme will see the return of one of teh original MMPR rangers as an aditional ranger like how when Tommy returned in Dino Thunder :D (wishful thinking ??)

What is interesting about this is that this will mean they are skipping the Sentai season that actually came after Gokaiger, that being Go-Busters.

The only reason I can think of for this is Saban wanting to get back more in line with Super Sentai as he ended up 2 seasons behind due to Disney not making a new season after RPM and airing a reedit of MMPR instead. Though the Wiki description does say Dino Charge will also use elements of Go-Busters... be interesting to see what.

Be a shame if we don't get the Go-Buster suits though, I was looking forward to a PR version of that since their suits were the most "different" suits there had been made of leather instead of spandex.

1348959640521.jpg

nation of the first 2 of Gokaiger, Gokaigers first ep ended with the first monster and the 2nd was in ep2. THey obviously had to make up a fair bit of time from cutting out pre-Zyuranger suits plus I think they really wanted to use the 5 Red Ranger scene.

Yeah, I could tell it was 2 different episodes.

But again finding that out pisses me off a bit thinking they reshot that scene but didn't switch in MMPR Red instead when they had a perfect chance to...they must be saving the MMPR suits for something special (hopefully)

Was surprised they didn't use MMPR Red as well. I agree they should hold back MMPR for something special.

You mean Green right :wink:

Green didn't do anything cowardly, at least not in the first episode. Red used one of the enemies as a shield, probably why I thought you said Red. Although I think I misread your earlier post. :p

If it's Green they could write it so he's just messing around, which would fit his personality, although I guess it depends what he does. Unless they do just cut/reshoot those scenes.

Red seems a lot more "shoot first, ask questions later" now.