NEurope
Murr

My Rabbit Was Killed

Sunday 9th January 2011,

At around 11:30am, My girlfriend went to the garden to feed our rabbit, When she gets to the hutch she notices that the hutch door is open and our back gate is open.

She begins running round the garden to look for the rabbit in case she just escaped and was hiding, but when Heather got to the decking she was not prepared for what she saw... Blood and Fluff :(

She came back inside crying and told me what had happened, So I go out and look around, Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the rabbit any were.

At first Heather thought someone had come into our back garden and actually taken the rabbit and killed her, then came round to thinking it must be a fox due to the nature of the mess on the decking and the fact that we haven't found the rabbit yet.

However I'm a little sceptical that a fox could open a gate where the latch is well above door handle height, and also be able to open the highest door of the hutch, without actually disturbing the run or hutch. I mean the whole hutch hasn't even been moved, And I'd of thought if a fox or animal had of tried to get at her, then the hutch would of been moved or broken.

anyway's I know people don't tend to think you can get attached to a rabbit as much as say.. a dog or a cat, but my girlfriend was such a wreck the rest of the day :(

I'll admit when I was cleaning the decking I was pretty upset, I understand that pets die and it's upsetting, but I'd wish that if my rabbit did have to pass away, it could of been peacefully, but judging from what I had to tidy up, It must of been far from it for her :(

If it was an actual person that did it, then the fucker needs to be hit by a lorry.

bunnyx.jpg

RIP Bunny :(

Foxes are very cunning. They managed to get many of our outdoor pets, even when their hutches were closed. It always was pretty heartbreaking considering the violence of it, but circle of life

I'm sorry though.

Bloody cunning foxes... I'm sorry for you loss. :(

It is was a person, then given how cute that bunny is, I'll be the one driving said lorry.

I had a rabbit once, but he escaped into my grandpas vegetable garden, which i assume was like rabbit heaven to him. I admit i was devastated.

Not the most loyal pets but, they're pretty high on the adorable scale.

I'm sorry to hear that, Murr. :( I can't believe any human being would do such a thing, and it sounds like foxes are cunning enough to pull something like this off.

I'm sorry you lost of your rabbit..

Do not think just because a fox is a dog and not a cat that they cannot climb high walls, fences etc... I used to have a littile dog that was able to climb a 6 foot fence. We used to have a cenial and we used to find him running around outside the area of the fence we couldn't figure out how he done it, but beside the cenial there was a littile gap between it and the fence and use to climb up between it and walk along side it.. We were extreamly shocked at how he mange to do it.

Aww bunny :'(

I fucking love bunny rabbits, it's so sad to see one/hear one has died, :(

*hugs for murr and murr's girlfriend* :(

R.I.P Rabbit. Sorry to hear about this Murr, love Rabbits myself. Yours reaches a 9 on the cute-ness level.

Probably was a fox, it is surprising what they are capable of doing. But if it were a person who did this, then they need to be taught a lesson big-style.

I've had 2 rabbits in the past, one was stolen (by the person who sold us the rabbit believe it or not. Turned out they were cheats, and they would sell the rabbits to innocent people, get the name and address of the "new" owners then wait a few weeks and steal it/them back. Then re-sell to more people, thus making plenty of money).

Other died of natural causes, which was sad but we knew it was coming.

Edited by Jimbob

Thanks for all the condolences.

I agree, I'm more inclined to think it was a fox too, Just first reaction from Heather was 'Someone's killed Bunny', not 'Something'.

Circle of life as mentioned by Serebii, Just not so nice when it's a pet involved in that circle.

Sorry to hear that, I've never had a rabbit but these hutches they are kept in should really be more secure by the sounds of it :(

R.I.P Bunny... :( sad to hear about, I'd be inclined to believe it was a Fox but that still obviously doesn't take away the feeling of loss, so my condolences to you both.

I had a very similar experience. I was maybe 10, went out in the morning before school to feed the rabbits and I found... A headless, gut-strewn Fuzzy on the garden path :( Bit shocking, really. Initially we thought it was foxes but I think it was probably a neighbouring cat. I feel sorry for the cat's owners who must've woken up to a rabbit skull...

Our other rabit, Fluffy, had a stroke maybe a month before the beheading incident. All a bit stressful for a young jayseven. I never really reaked out about the whole thing either. Just slipped into my subconscious and made me weird, I guess.

I had a very similar experience. I was maybe 10, went out in the morning before school to feed the rabbits and I found... A headless, gut-strewn Fuzzy on the garden path :( Bit shocking, really. Initially we thought it was foxes but I think it was probably a neighbouring cat. I feel sorry for the cat's owners who must've woken up to a rabbit skull...

Some what fortunate in that we haven't encountered remains of the rabbit, Just a blood stained decking and fur. Which makes the fox seem more guilty.

I've had a look for remains, Because the last thing I want is for Heather to be going to work in the morning and then see a Cat dragging around any remains of Bunny.

Was really quite sad, I've moved her hutch behind the shed and dissembled the run. The garden looks so bare now.

This may seem cold for me to say at this present in time, but why don't you get a new one in a few weeks time? it might cheer yourself and your girlfriend up a bit.

No! Get a tortoise! They cost around £100, and to keep them fit it costs another £100ish for a vivarium and the appropriate heat/UV lamps... but they live forever and take very little maintenance. Unlike skittish rabbits who are stupid and scared of everything.

This may seem cold for me to say at this present in time, but why don't you get a new one in a few weeks time? it might cheer yourself and your girlfriend up a bit.

But naturally take more precautions if you do, after all the last thing you want is the same thing happening to the new rabbit.

Oh and RIP Bunny Murr.

It was discussed, originally we were planning on getting another rabbit to accompany Bunny, but kinda put plans on hold for now. Would be open to another rabbit or 2, just not yet.

But naturally take more precautions if you do, after all the last thing you want is the same thing happening to the new rabbit.

And to continue from above, this is the reason, We are wanting to do some work on the garden in the summer, and we've also wanted to get new fence, new gate, security light and general garden tidy up done for a while. Now the hutch and run are down and out of the way we can, once this is done this year, then can look into another rabbit or two.

Aww. And bunnies are so cute too. :(

No! Get a tortoise! They cost around £100, and to keep them fit it costs another £100ish for a vivarium and the appropriate heat/UV lamps... but they live forever and take very little maintenance. Unlike skittish rabbits who are stupid and scared of everything.

But you can't pet tortoises. Well, I guess you can, but who would want to?

Get a wolf! It'll eat the fox as payback

It's a dog eat dog world out there. HAR HAR HAR!

Seriously though, get a bear or a gorilla, just in case it was a person who did it. Can you imagine an intruder breaking in to be confronted to a massive raging gorilla, strategically trained to hay-maker anyone wearing a balaclava? I'd totally pay to watch that shit.

Or a pet lorry.

But yeah, RIP rabbut.

Aww. And bunnies are so cute too. :(

But you can't pet tortoises. Well, I guess you can, but who would want to?

Terrapins! Less expensive than tortoises, all you need is to put them in something like a goldfish bowl and treat them well. You can take them out and play with them!

But yeah...RIP, Murr's bunny :/

Yeah but terrepins are nippy little fuckers! Tortoises like their head scratched, and becaue they NEED warmth you can have hours of fun as they attempt to burrow into you. My girlfriend's tortoise is awesome. Aside from us thinking she was a he for the first year of her life, she's lovely. I do this thing with pets -- I try and get them to blink at me. I'll squint my eyes together at them, and if they do it back I reward them with a hug of sorts. I SWEAR Jesse the tortoise squints back :P It's so cute.

Yeah, ramble :P Essentially I think rabbits are dumb pets. And I'm allowed to say this to Murr because I was equally, if not moreso, traumatised by my rabbit's death.