NEurope
Ganepark32

A Running Commentary

Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight's showcasing of [insert film name here] will be accompanied by a running commentary provided by other patrons watching the film. This commentary will consist of clapping at random moments during the film, singing along to any songs or repeating words/lines from the film loudly, generally loud 'oh-ing', 'ah-ing' or 'aw-ing', spoiling plot points before they come on screen, playing with mobile phones and having your entire row of chairs shake from the people behind you kicking them. There is no opt out of this scheme, unfortunately, but sit back and try to enjoy the film.

:mad:

I am getting bloody tired of having the cinema going experience ruined by absolute wankers who don't know the proper etiquette to be used within a cinema. Every single film I've been to over the last few years has had one or more of the things I have listed and it just ruins the experience.

I experienced every single one of the things I listed yesterday when I went to see It's Kind of a Funny Story. Now I realise the film is more of a teen film, but a group of teenage girls just wouldn't shut up or sit still during the whole fucking thing, ruining it for me. You know, my appreciation of the film wouldn't have improved massively if they had stopped, as it was a good film but let down by little exploration of the characters and being a typical coming of age story just set within a psych ward (although Zach Galifianakis was superb in it and it definitely struck me on a level that has had me thinking and feeling strange since seeing it), but it would have been nice to have watched it in peace.

You can't complain because it's not the cinema's responsibility and you just get a mouth full of lip from those making a nuisance of themselves, sometimes making it worse. Why can't these people behave? God dammit, happened as well when I saw The Dark Knight and having not been following anything about it, I had the scene where the Joker gets carried into the pool hall place in the body bag ruined before it happened.

I can't be the only one who experiences this in cinemas (or maybe it's just the people in Edinburgh lack any form of common decency, and my years at school in Edinburgh lend some credence to this). So have any of your cinema going experiences been ruined by idiots?

I have never experienced behaviour like described by people on here in a cinema. Any noise or commotion is usually laugher or positive reactions to a movie. Cinema is very much what it is because of the audience and atmosphere, but I can see why these negative experiences would taint the whole deal.

Then again, I very rarely attend shows during busy times. Most of the cinema screenings I've attended recently have been older movies none of the rabble would care about anymore like Gremlins and The Thing.

Watch a film towards the end of it's cinema life. Much less busy and no idiots.

That's a good idea. I've done that a few times, and I much prefer it.

People who use their phones in the rows infront, so all you can see is the glare from their screens are my biggest annoyance. I want to Sparta-kick these people down the stairs to the bottom. Preferably where a big hole is waiting for them.

Don't know if it's just luck but i've never had that problem at the cinema. I've heard the off phone going off but never anything as bad as that.

My brother will quote jokes five seconds before they happen when we're watching old episodes of The Simpsons, Futurama or Scrubs. It's really annoying. I mean, I've watched these episodes before too, but unlike him I don't have them memorized and hearing jokes before they happen ruins any chance I have of being surprised and getting any enjoyment out of them on a second/third/fourth viewing.

I've never had any bad cinema experiences, though (that weren't caused by bad movies, anyway), but that might be because I only go to the movies about once a year and generally towards the end of a movie's run.

Ganepark, I feel your troubles my friend. :(

I have never experienced behaviour like described by people on here in a cinema. Any noise or commotion is usually laugher or positive reactions to a movie. Cinema is very much what it is because of the audience and atmosphere, but I can see why these negative experiences would taint the whole deal.

Then again, I very rarely attend shows during busy times. Most of the cinema screenings I've attended recently have been older movies none of the rabble would care about anymore like Gremlins and The Thing.

I think it depends a lot on where you live.

Having said that, you live in Watford. So I have no clue. :p

But yes I've had utterly shit wankers on a few occasions. It pisses me off more than most anything.

Watch a film towards the end of it's cinema life. Much less busy and no idiots.

Or any screening before 12pm.

This (as well as the state of the screens I've been to in Stockport - pirated films look better quality) is why I now generally wait until a film appears on LoveFilm.

There have been one or two cinemas where i've had to go up and complain to a member of staff that people were talking or kids that shouldn't be in the room.

however that said, The cinema I go to now most people seem to show quite a lot of respect to others by not talking loudly or having there mobiles on during the film, The only time I have had issues at this one cinema was when I was watching twilight, there were a group of people laughing for no reason and annoyied me even more is they left half way through, which ment they werent really watching it. I too normally watch a film in its last week unless its a big film, i tend to watch it on the first few days mainly cuz most my mates have seen it then as well, and they end up talking about it so it spoils it for me.

Edited by Ryuk

My film viewing experiences have never been tarnished by the audience. It might be because I am not easily annoyed, or that people in Dublin are nice.

(or maybe it's just the people in Edinburgh lack any form of common decency, and my years at school in Edinburgh lend some credence to this)

How VERY dare you?! :mad:

EA churned me out a brilliant, respectful member of society. :D

How VERY dare you?! :mad:

EA churned me out a brilliant, respectful member of society. :D

Of course it did ;). I was making a snide comment at people in my year really, many of who turned out as anything but respectful members of society.

I should probably go towards the end of the film release but I am prone to forgetting very easily, hence why I go at the start otherwise it'll be out of the cinema before I remember. The thing about the film I just saw, though, was that I went to an early screening on release day (we're talking lunchtime here) and there were about 12 people in total in the cinema watching yet a group of 3 girls still managed to make enough of a nuisance of themselves to disrupt the film for me.

Maybe I'm just too easily annoyed. Don't really go to the cinema enough to let most of the kind of things I mentioned in my first post slide, although why should I when its constant.