NEurope
chairdriver

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

So, in my absence I've been watching Battlestar Galactica. I've just finished series 2 and watched the mini-film Razor.

tumblr_lb0fvaHcem1qevkryo1_500.gif

One of my favourite episodes has been "Scar".

Where Starbuck has a competition with Kat to defeat Scar, a Cylon raider. Throughout the episode, Starbuck has a crisis; she realises she cannot remember the names of her fellow pilots that have died, and comes to the realisation that even when the reach their goal of Earth, with all the political unrest and Cylons amongst them, it won't even be the bright and shiny utopia they're all expecting.

Towards the end of the episode, she has a clear shot on Scar, but freezes up. Kat flies in and shoots him down.

At the very end, amidst the celebrations, Starbuck concedes her loss to Kat, and then recites the very long list of dead pilots.

I could write an essay on why that single episode is so powerful to me. I cried pretty much solidly throughout its second half.

The show, as a whole, has totally affected the way I view life. I think it has made me more right-wing. I'm definitely far more pro-establishment than I was before. I'm just held under by everything that ever leaves Laura Roslin's lips. I have faith in her.

And it feels really fair to everyone involved.

We all hate Admiral Cain, but having watched Razor, we understand.

It's an incredibly powerful show.

BSG is one of my fav tv programs, the 2004 ver i mean.. It's extreamly heavy on story and character development, and when theres action it makes up for the lack off. I would suggest it to anyone to watch.

I liked the razor episode (pilot) the most because it explains why they had to leave caprica etc.

I'm just about to watch episode 15 of season 2 (scar) so I'll be able to see what you're talking about.

I really like how the show is progressing so far and there's not been a dull episode yet.

Glad you people are liking it. I think this may me my favourite show ever.

It's a fantastic show. Unfortunately, the finale leaves something to be desired. But hey, this TV show alone brought seriousness, politics, religion/faith and social issues back to sci-fi, so it's done more than enough.

Also, you shouldn't have watched Razor now, you're supposed to watch it after season 3. You'll have missed some (tiny) important details, chair-o!

My favourite moment is definitely

Dualla's suicide. Dear god I wasn't expecting that. Brilliant, really.

actully there are infact two episodes called razor, theres razor the pilot and razor the one u discribed set on admiral kain's ship

Really, really need to spend some time on this. I have never heard a bad word about it.

Chair (hey BTW) you should watch Big Love. Not quite on the same overall level of BSG but its one of the most amazing pieces of fiction I've ever witness.

Totally allegorical (which seems to be my word de jour) of homosexuality too. Not to suggest you'd only care about that but...its amazing check it out. It constantly blows me.

I'm not actually sure if this thread was meant to be about BSG (as that's all that's happening) or powerful media but I went for the latter.

its amazing check it out. It constantly blows me.

Aw man, I watch Big Love and it's never done anything of the sort to me. :sad:

Battlestar Galactica is indeed completely awesome and has a lot of very powerful and emotional moments. One of my favorite TV shows of all time, probably (The Plan was pretty pointless, though).

I've watched all BSG apart from the finale. Not sure why either.

Also the piece of media that moved me the most has to be Into The Wild. Such an amazing film. I recommend anyone to watch it.

House's Head and Wilson's Heart.

house_houseshead-36_0023.jpg

Best season finale of anything I've ever seen. The last two episodes of season four. Made me weep. Probably the only television that's ever done that. I can't remember a film that's done that either, now I think of it.

Best season finale of anything I've ever seen. The last two episodes of season four. Made me weep. Probably the only television that's ever done that. I can't remember a film that's done that either, now I think of it.

You're dead inside :heh:

For those Battlestar Galactica fans. How many of you have seen the original series? How much does it resemble it?

(I too plan on getting around to it. But I must confess I'm not in a hurry. I daresay I'll work my way through SG1 [if/when I buy it] first.)

For those Battlestar Galactica fans. How many of you have seen the original series? How much does it resemble it?

(I too plan on getting around to it. But I must confess I'm not in a hurry. I daresay I'll work my way through SG1 [if/when I buy it] first.)

From what I've read on Wiki about the original series, the new series pretty much takes the idea of Cylons and the 12 Colonies, the names of the main characters, then shits on everything else the OS has to offer, and forges this fantastic thing that is so well-realised that it's more real than most non-sci-fi shows about.

So, this is a thread about works that touch us on a deep level? I tend to forget the works themselves in this kind of situation, unfortunately, as the work is but a package for the bigger message. Still, I'll try:

Gungrave is an excellent anime series, with family and loyalty as a central theme. Despite the needless sci-fi elements, it's still excellent. I came closer to crying in its ending than in any other anime.

Casshern Sins is also a good one, focusing on the meaning of life and all.

A Cidade e as Serras is a book I love. Any book written by Eça bears criticism on some aspect of society, but somehow, this one speaks closer to me, despite the fact that I lived in a big city all of my life. It's probably the message of "a fulfilling life is spent humbly helping others" that does it.

But like I said, I don't usually remember the most meaningful works I've experienced (I only remembered these because they crossed my mind recently, for other reasons)

From what I've read on Wiki about the original series, the new series pretty much takes the idea of Cylons and the 12 Colonies, the names of the main characters, then shits on everything else the OS has to offer, and forges this fantastic thing that is so well-realised that it's more real than most non-sci-fi shows about
They even shit on some of the charcaters, like for example both bummer and starbuck have had a sex change :P lol.

I like the new BSG because I think if we did really go into space the technolgy they use is more realstic and what we would actully use, maybe apart from the hyperspace drive lol.. I do see us closer to BSG ralther then say star trek.

The title of BSG puts people off, when it's so not "about" space/aliens/future etc. It's "about" so much more.

"Google Tricia Helfer" as a title would probably get more viewers.

"Google Tricia Helfer" as a title would probably get more viewers.

I love how Paj and I refer to the six inside Gaius' head as Trish. Yes.

Easily the best two episodes of House to date. Other season finales have been good (they always have been) but that was a tour de force.

Six Feet Under springs to mind- it was a show that sticks in your head for weeks and months when it finishes and remains one of the most emotionally complex and honest programs I've ever seen. Very, very powerful stuff.

This song instantly springs to mind. As does the album version of All Is Full Of Love. I love television shows and movies, especially Six Feet Under as Dan mentioned, but those two songs I just find so overwhelmingly powerful.

Six Feet Under had probably the best series finale of any TV show. Years later, I still get choked up when I watch the last five minutes. Awesome stuff.

Total agreement squared. 6FU's ending is sublime, fantastic, and totally fitting to the show. It's the first series finale that springs to mind when I think of awesome endings. Beats the Wire's dour and subdued "but it fits!" ending, beats BSG's lol ending, Lost's too.

yeh.