NEurope
flameboy

New Series to watch with my girlfriend...

Ok so I need new suggestions for shows to watch with my girlfriend over skype. In the past we have watched Modern Family, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm and America's Top Model (urgh don't ask!) I want something meaty to watch I was thinking of starting maybe Breaking Bad or Mad Men or The Wire would she like these though? She is more into comedy so did think of watching Parks and Recreation, but some Dramaness would be good I feel, only no go is Sci-Fi which she largely finds dumb.

I think stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad and Mad Men would be difficult to watch via Skype/while Skyping as you'll need your full attention.

Do you watch Chuck? It mixes the comedy with the drama pretty well. I hear good things about Community and keep meaning to watch (particularly as Eliza Coupe is joining soon) but not.

If you want purely unchallenging comedy then Cougar Town from about mid-Season 1 onwards is all right. Originally the show was a bit of a drag but its turned into a nice, if not particularly ground breaking, ensemble comedy.

The West Wing (the first 4 seasons), The Wire, Seinfeld, um...

Edited by The fish

How about some classic British comedy like Red Dwarf or Fawlty Towers?

Oh, and I know you said she doesn't like Sci-Fi, but I'd still recommend Firefly. I convinced my sister to watch it recently (she doesn't like Sci-Fi either) and she enjoyed it.

How I Met Your Mother :)

Eastbound and down, that's pretty funny.

Edited by Murr
Automerged Doublepost

Do you watch Chuck? It mixes the comedy with the drama pretty well. I hear good things about Community and keep meaning to watch (particularly as Eliza Coupe is joining soon) but not.

Community is amazing. I highly recommend watching it.

Ok so I need new suggestions for shows to watch with my girlfriend over skype. In the past we have watched Modern Family, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm and America's Top Model (urgh don't ask!) I want something meaty to watch I was thinking of starting maybe Breaking Bad or Mad Men or The Wire would she like these though? She is more into comedy so did think of watching Parks and Recreation, but some Dramaness would be good I feel, only no go is Sci-Fi which she largely finds dumb.

Just break it off now mate

I think stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad and Mad Men would be difficult to watch via Skype/while Skyping as you'll need your full attention.

If you want purely unchallenging comedy then Cougar Town from about mid-Season 1 onwards is all right. Originally the show was a bit of a drag but its turned into a nice, if not particularly ground breaking, ensemble comedy.

On this point...it does kinda work...we've watched films and such like before...its pretty much as if we are sat next to each other.

I don't watch Chuck though and may give it a go....Cougar Town is the Courtney Cox thing right?

How about some classic British comedy like Red Dwarf or Fawlty Towers?

Oh, and I know you said she doesn't like Sci-Fi, but I'd still recommend Firefly. I convinced my sister to watch it recently (she doesn't like Sci-Fi either) and she enjoyed it.

She wouldn't like Red Dwarf, she does like fawlty towers though

How I Met Your Mother :)

Eastbound and down, that's pretty funny.

Yeah watched the odd episode of How I Met Your Mother before does look kinda funny.

Just break it off now mate

hahaha very funny

I also support the suggestions of Chuck & Community. Both incredible shows, if you want to see an episode of each show before purchasing the DVD then Chuck is on Living while Community is on Viva. I would also suggest Seinfeld, 30 Rock or Arrested Development :)

On this point...it does kinda work...we've watched films and such like before...its pretty much as if we are sat next to each other.

I don't watch Chuck though and may give it a go....Cougar Town is the Courtney Cox thing right?

It always amazes me when gamers don't watch Chuck. Its such a fanwank for gaming really:

Cougar Town is the CC thing. But as I say, by no means amazing but if you want something simple then go for it.

It always amazes me when gamers don't watch Chuck. Its such a fanwank for gaming really:

Cougar Town is the CC thing. But as I say, by no means amazing but if you want something simple then go for it.

I think when it started I may have been in my final year at uni and didn't have cable/sky so just didn't watch it...

Arrested Development and Eastbound and Down spring to mind first and foremost as things I've enjoyed with Claire.

Breaking Bad is my favourite TV show, so definitely watch that.

Community, How I Met Your Mother, Smallville (that would keep you busy..) Supernatural...

EDIT: 30 Rock

Edited by AeroScap

I second (third? Fourth?) The recommendation for Community. Probably my favorite sitcom on television right now. Parks and Recreation is also great once you make it through the first season (six episodes). 30 Rock is funny, though it takes about half a season for it to hit its stride. How I Met Your Mother is funny and not too taxing, as others have said. If you haven't watched it yet, ReZ is right about Arrested Development being awesome. It will require your full attention, but it's a great show to watch with/at the same time as someone else.

If you want something that mixes comedy and drama, Ashley is right about Chuck being fun, even if it's a bit predictable at times. I also really liked Terriers, though sadly it was canceled after only thirteen episodes. Great show while it lasted, though. It reminded me a bit of Veronica Mars, which is also really good if you haven't watched it yet.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Wire are all fantastic shows, but Ashley is right about them requiring your full attention. I think the first two shouldn't be too taxing, but The Wire is very emotionally draining, to the point where it's almost painful to watch at times. But it's also utterly brilliant, so if you think your girlfriend would be into it, then definitely watch it.

There's also Dexter, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire... I know you said she wasn't into science fiction, but if she's open to it, you should at least try to get her to watch the miniseries for Battlestar Galactica. She might still like that (Caprica is great too, but also science fiction).

Basically I recommend every TV show ever.

Arrested Development and Eastbound and Down spring to mind first and foremost as things I've enjoyed with Claire.

Poor guy...

I've seen some episodes of The Office recently and they are pretty decent.

Pretty much every show I could mention has already been mentioned. Community is well worth your time and you could always do something terrifying and make her choose something, or each pick a show and share your time between them equally?

Has anyone mentioned Scrubs yet? Fantastic viewing.

Edited by Guy

you could always do something terrifying and make her choose something

But then he might end up watching America's Next Top Model again!

Better not risk it.

Malcom in the Middle.

if the fuckers ever release it on dvd. :nono:

its out over there on dvd. I saw it in blockbuster whilst I was over there.

Skipped most of the thread!

I'd say it's a bit of a leap to go from comedy to HBO-esque awesomeness. It's hard to recommend an appropriate show without knowing her taste. Something along the same lines that my girlfriend wants me to watch more of -- big bang theory? Light enough and bitesize.

Things like BSG and The Wire, while awesome, require several episodes to really get into. When you're specifically watching something with a loved one you don't want something too seriious because you'll end up not talking to each other. Light-hearted is the way forward... so something like Supernatural is a good bet -- she'll watch it for the boys to begin with, then she'll be hooked!

So yeah! Tell us what she's into. Short serious stuff like The Prisoner are a good way to gauge how receptive she is -- but seeing as she watches ANTM like my girl does... it ain't likely.