NEurope
Pit-Jr

Electronic Cigarettes

I know theres a fair few smokers on this forum. Have any of you tried these?

I just ordered a kit, not as a new years resolution but because the price of cigarettes has now reached a level of farce i never thought possible.

I've seen stalls for them about the town... I quit ages ago so thankfully I've got no need for them.

It's worth a try and good luck! :)

I've seen stalls for them about the town... I quit ages ago so thankfully I've got no need for them.

It's worth a try and good luck! :)

Did you quit cold turkey? If so i salute you!

Diageo, i wont know until later in the week because they're being shipped. Theyre supposedly harmless and half the price so i figure id give it a shot.

Well he doesn't know yet, does he?

Which kind did you get - the inhalators or the ones that look/act like cigarettes? My dad has one of those, as does a friend. The end lights up when you inhale and you breathe out some water vapour that gives a realisting impression of smoking. From a distance it looks like a real cigarette... which only serves to make people think you've actually lit up indoors, for example, so they give you stares of contempt and staff are likely to come up to you and threaten you before you have to reason with them. Time and time again.

A friend got one for xmas, and he said that one cartridge is equivolent to 20 cigarettes before it needs replacing. The benefit is that you can just pull it out and have a few tokes when you want, rather than feeling like you have to smoke the whole of a cigarette, and also you can still pop outside with smoking friends and take part in that ol' ritual.

However I've not tried them first-hand, but I'm sure they're a good tool to help you quit so long as you have the willpower, and all that.

The whole water vapour thing sounds like a perfect substitute. If all the smokers move to this I would be delighted.

Two people I know have used them to quit. You can get different strength and zero nicotine fillers too to help cut down even more. When you eventually smoke the zero strength nicotine or even before that, you'll find it easy to quit..

Which kind did you get - the inhalators or the ones that look/act like cigarettes? My dad has one of those, as does a friend. The end lights up when you inhale and you breathe out some water vapour that gives a realisting impression of smoking. From a distance it looks like a real cigarette... which only serves to make people think you've actually lit up indoors, for example, so they give you stares of contempt and staff are likely to come up to you and threaten you before you have to reason with them. Time and time again.

It's not going to feel like a real cigarette unless people are treating you like a pariah and you're standing outside in the cold with it, anyway.

However I've not tried them first-hand, but I'm sure they're a good tool to help you quit so long as you have the willpower, and all that.

In any case they're also healthier for you and your surroundings, are they not?

I ordered the fake cigarette/vapor kind with the LED on the end.

As entertaining as it sounds to smoke them indoors, im not planning on using them for that. I just want to completely replace the times i do smoke with these

I can only speak from the pespective of an outside, as my ex had 3 I believe whilst we were together.

he mentioned to me that he really liked them, they acted very much the same way as cigarettes, with just nicotine in them and obviously some flavour and he used them quite a lot in my company.

It only emits water vapours (the ones he had anyway) and it made that he could smoke them practically anywhere without making anyone uncomfortable.

I'd personally say to get one, they seemed to make things easier all round and gave him the opportunity to smoke where normally he'd have to go outside.

Did you quit cold turkey? If so i salute you!

I did, but I had other reasons pushing me towards it. I get serious chest infections quite often because of medication, that along with the fact I have a lot of medical issues helped. I was getting very sick after smoking for some reason so it was more of a natural progression. Saying that I could still easily be convinced to light up again.. haha. Think once you start and get hooked, it stays with you forever. 4 years later and I feel the same as I did the day I decided to stop.

It's not going to feel like a real cigarette unless people are treating you like a pariah and you're standing outside in the cold with it, anyway.

I haven't smoked since the ban so it would be VERY weird having to go outside for a puff!! I think the ban is the one thing that has kept me on track tbh!

Think once you start and get hooked, it stays with you forever. 4 years later and I feel the same as I did the day I decided to stop.

Haha, what a terrible thing to say to someone who's going to try to quit smoking. "It never gets better." :p

Haha, what a terrible thing to say to someone who's going to try to quit smoking. "It never gets better." :p

Would you not rather be told the truth though? It is essentially a drug addiction... the same as drinking alcohol, quitting smoking is exactly the same as never having a drink ever again. Which is very hard for anyone to comprehend.

It's not impossible to do, just have to keep reminding yourself why you are doing it, and the benefits do eventually outweigh the negatives.

Haha yeah, but she speaks the truth. Ive tried and failed miserably before but these things seem perfect for me.

As a non-smoker myself, i support everyone who decides to give up the cigarrettes. It doesn't matter what they use to aid them, as long as they give up that is the main thing.

Legally, you can smoke these electronic cigarettes indoors as they don't give out harmfull smoke.

Taking bets how long before another thread about a conflicting topic such as smoking turns into an argument...

[edit]

I was wrong. This is a pretty great discussion.

Edited by Guy

Moogle; I believe they can fully replace the physical addiction of nicotine, as do inhalers, gum, patches, etc. They also attempt to replicate the action of smoking as it's also pretty hard to quit when you've spent years acting out such behaviour, which is something gum and patches don't do as well. The taste of a cigarette, while many would argue is unpleasant, is something a smoker will miss as well -- the taste, unfortunately, is pretty much the reason why smoking is bad for you.

A friend of mine tried herbal cigarettes for a while, mainly because he primarily smoked when he was getting high and wanted a healthier replacement. I had a few rollies with it and it was pretty 'meh' -- it had no nicotine as far as I'm aware so it did nothing at all, but I also couldn't 'feel' that i was smoking.

Good luck to you and your quitting!

I'm thinking this doesn't need to be only to help you quit, and instead a substitute that is not harmful. If so, it's fantastic.

Are these only an aid to quitting or could you realistically just continue to use them?

I imagine given the amount of nicotine you can pour into these things that they could easily replace cigarettes.

Are these only an aid to quitting or could you realistically just continue to use them?

They do replace the need to smoke a cigarette. Each cartridge i think lasts a week or so.

I'm looking into buying a kit as well.

About to sign up with a forum of one of the websites so I can ask a few questions. I'm interested in doing the 'direct dripping' technique so you don't have to worry about cartridges spilling and shit.

But I know fuck all about e-cigs..

Hey Pit-Jr, just wondering, but what kit did you buy?

My one arrived today, shame I'm not there to give it a play with until tomorrow. Settled for one called the TW Tornado, seemed to be a pretty big hit.

Will post my views on it tomorrow.

I got a brand called The Safe Cig. Not the edgiest name but whatever... i did my research and its apparently the best one here in the States and also the cheapest refills.

I got the 'deluxe kit' which comes with 3 cigarettes, 2 USB chargers (yes, my laptop has a cigarette plugged into it) and 10 nicotine cartridges and a rather svelte case. Each cartridge is supposedly the equivalent of 2 packs.

Verdict: Love this thing! The menthol medium cartridges i ordered taste fine and it delivers on the nicotine as promised.

On the slight negative side, its a little heavier and longer than a real cigarette and it requires long, slow drags to activate so you cant really just puff on it like a regular cigarette. I will miss the puffing!

The good definitely outweighs the bad and as of right now i think i can totally replace tobacco with it