Retro_Link

Superman Returns

Superman Returns

poster1_hi.jpg

Summer 2006

Trailer;

http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/supermanreturns/teaser/teaser_500.asx

Story;

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure, Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world’s most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman’s bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

-------------------------------

Looks pretty good!

They seem to have kept the same sort of look the original Superman films had, whilst keeping it up to date!

Although Superman isn't really my favourite superhero;

I think Smallville is Great, and I don't mind watching the original TV series when it's on (the one with Teri Hatcher).

There's getting to be so many actors you associate as being Superman though, that it's a little annoying to see yet another!

In the new film it's strange seeing the 'Smallville' scenes without the same actors; they could have maybe used the same actors as Smallville instead of seeing a different young Clark Kent.

Quick question; If this film is about Supermans Return; when are they going to put the 'Smallville' scenes into the film? during a flashback or something?

and surely they're not all that necessary, because you could just watch the original films!!

I have to wait and see. While Superman holds a special place, most of his stories suck. Death and Return was great, Kingdom Come is awesome and there are some who explore his character well, but when you have a superhero that's basically all powerfull and wears his underwear outside it's hard to do something interesting about him.

About Smallville, it's nice to watch it and all, but the same thing happens almost every episode and it's too different from the comics. Also the symbol is too small.

This trailer is quite old now, i hope they release a full version soon. I think Brandon Routh is a perfect choice appearance wise, don't know what his acting skills are like though.

And as for Smallville, although I do enjoy the show, I don't want it to have any connection to the films at all. I'd rather it remain it's own thing.

pic-3.jpg

Uncanny!

Uncanny!
Yeah he does look like a good choice; and (being a fan of Smallville), he does actually look like an older version of Smallvilles Clark Kent, IMO!

that guy reminds me of cillian murphy in batman.

im looking forward to this one though. should be pretty sweet to see superman do his thang in glorious cgi. that sounds shallow but he's a hero that deserves a really sweet looking special effects set :grin:

Is it me or does that trailer compare Superman to Jesus? If this film has religious overtones and is preachy I will hate it. Still I wont pass judgement till Ive seen it. I'm more hyped about X-men 3 though.

me too x3 will rock. superman returns???? could they not have come up with something a bit more original and with more substance

this is my most anticipated film of 06...

X3 has different writers and director....that does not bode well

Its got a lot to live up to, with the amount of good-to-great superhero films released lately. ATM, this doesnt look that special.

Its got a lot to live up to, with the amount of good-to-great superhero films released lately. ATM, this doesnt look that special.

most expensive film warner bros have ever made

marlon brando makes a cameo appearance

brandon routh looks like the part, unknown actor

brilliant director

brilliant writer

its certainly looking like the fantastic 4 of 2006

.. I thought Marlon Brando was dead?

Just done a check, apparantly it's stock footage of marlon or something. Weird.

I cant wait for this film. Im a big an of the originals despite how poorly they have aged. When I first seen the trailer i loved it as it used the music from the first films aswell as Marlon Brandos voice.

He did many scenes for the first Superman film that never made the cut then I dont think he wanted anything to do with it after that hence why in Superman 2 i think it was he only speaks to his mother when hes at the fortress of solitude.

As for the trailer being compared to Jesus that whole argument came about when the original was released but they way they made the trailer its pretty much blantant.

Anyone know when the 5th series of Smallville starts? I loved how the last season ended. Its my 2nd best series on tv next to 24....Jack Bauer OWNZ!

download it even

Too much effort, for Superman it isn't warranted.

pic-3.jpg

Uncanny!

Looks like Jim from American Pie.

Im not too sure about this... Ill probably go and see it but i really do think ill end up disapointed.

.. I thought Marlon Brando was dead?

Just done a check, apparantly it's stock footage of marlon or something. Weird.

Brando made $3,700,000 for 8 minutes of air-time on the original Superman. Theyre making him earn it beyond the grave.

Where's Shorty? blank.gif

Ahem, not to disappoint.

Ah Superman, my geeky achilles heel, where would I be without you? Probably a 'cooler' person, but who cares.

I for one am particularly excited about the 'Return' of Superman. Yes, like many fans I would rather have seen a re-imagining of the Superman tale. Every Superhero's story has arrived in a time in which big name studios can do them justice. Sure, they've screwed it up a few times, Hulk, Daredevil... Elektra - but gems such as Spider-man and X-Men have shown us that comics can finally get their just presentation. However I trust Bryan Singer, for the most part I love his work and hope that he pulls through with the tale of Superman's Return from years away.

I've been following the movie for some time. The teaser trailer, which first aired nearly a month ago now, along with blogs recorded by Singer's team himself (currently 27 in total all available here) have battered down my feeble attempts to try and avoid spoilers. I am a big Superman fan, collector of trade paperbacks, dvds and follower even of Smallville. I too have had my doubts about the costume - but of late have been somewhat more hopeful. The 'S' shield, famously large and bold was reduced to look 'modern', even given the dreaded 'bevel' effect - I hated it at first. Especially in that first picture we were given. But now its grown on me, even the high neck and the repetition of the 'S' on the belt no longer annoys me. A confidence mostly owed to this picture:

super80069md.th.jpg

Which I quite frankly think is fantastic.

As for the casting of Brandon Routh, I'm entirely reserved about that. Christopher Reeve was once an unknown too. He donned the silkscreen, skyblue spandex with little behind his name and became, with little effort, the Superman. I hold out hope that Routh (which incidentally rhymes with 'mouth', not 'tooth') was selected not only for his startling resemblance to the late Mr. Reeve, but for his presence as an actor too. Because thats what Superman has to be. He has to be confident, awe inspiring and entirely definitive. He has to be more than tights, but a figure that the world looks up to.

Superman is often unpopular because of his lack of weaknesses - but any fan will tell you his biggest weakness is his impossible mixture of moral determination... and his limits. Superman can't be everywhere at once, he can't always save every single life, he can't always move fast enough. If you read the incredible climax to Alex Ross' 'Kingdom Come', you'll understand perfectly. If Singer can find a way to immortalise this side of the character, whilst still keeping his promise of providing a lighthearted, romantic homage to the man behind the red underpants, I'm certainly going to love Superman Returns :)

</shorty's geek-out of the year>

Sign in to follow this