NEurope
Magnus

Hatred For Webcomics

This is going to sound really petty, but my brother's most annoying friend came over about an hour ago, and the first thing he did was retell a recent Ctrl+Alt+Del comic about World of WarCraft that he'd found absolutely hilarious.

I feel totally justified in my hatred for him right now.

THIS SOUNDS EVEN PETTIER AS THE FIRST POST IN A NEW THREAD AAAAH

This is a thrip by jayseven at the request of Dannyboy and Scoop.

Is there a particular webcomic you cannot abide? if so, why?

Edited by Magnus

This is going to sound really petty, but my brother's most annoying friend came over about an hour ago, and the first thing he did was retell a recent Ctrl+Alt+Del comic about World of WarCraft that he'd found absolutely hilarious.

I feel totally justified in my hatred for him right now.

I used to hate CAD. Then I just started doing other things with my hatred. It worked out really well. Can't deny the artwork has improved immensely as of late and Buckley is maintaining an impressive illusion he isn't an utter douche.

Welcome, by the way. You seem cool.

---

Oh yeah, as for my best thing... I overslept, which some would view as inconvenient, but I'm taking as the blessing of extra sleep. I must have needed it.

Ive just found that the hate around the internet for CAD has gone overboard. Its one of those things where I just figure, if you dont like it then dont read it. So many forums I see people talking about webcomics then they'll start attacking CAD when it isnt even relevant to the conversation. Tim Buckley seems to be the Justin Beiber of webcomics now I think of it.

I sense a rip about to occur, so if it does can the admins give it a thread title like "Hatred for Certain Webcomics" or something to that effect?

I try my best to view CAD separate to Buckley. It's like how I think Christian Bale is a cock, but enjoy seeing him in movies. Buckley is reputedly a mahoosive douche lord... but he is also very good at what he does, it's just what he does isn't very good and he goes about it like it is.

The CAD humour is fine, it's the storylines and terrible characters that ruin my enjoyment. Buckley should stick to ridiculous gag strips and stop trying to tell serious stories about characters too hollow to support them.

Still, I read CAD regularly so I doubt Buckley gives a shit about what I think. Every time I visit his site he earns money.

Edited by Guy

See ive only ever heard stuff about Buckley, not seen it for myself so i dont really want to judge the guy on rumour etc. My only complaint about him is that he tends to run his forum a bit harshly, too many threads getting locked very easily (although that is a certain mod for the most part if I remember right).

I will admit that I miss his older style comics which were much more gaming centric but I love the characters so am usually fine following the more serious storylines.

Do you read Penny Arcade? I used to hate their comic, complaining that too many of them required you to read their daily news post to understand. Then I bought their books and really started to enjoy it. Now unfortunately ever other comic for the past year or so seems to be about D&D so getting very bored of it.

Penny Arcade is incredible and will always represent the pinnacle of webcomicry. Two men using their talents, abilities and people power for both good and evil. In massive quantities.

They're like 4chan and Anonymous done right.

Edited by Guy

Oh yeah I dont think theres any debating that, I just dont really like the direction theyve taken lately but that of course is just because its not an area that interests me.

I feel that. I hate when they do stuff like their weird, unfunny experimental comics. Usually I can appreciate the quality of the writing regardless of the topic, but I understand how some topics can switch people off.

At the very core it's just dick jokes written by someone with a brain.

Its all about Questionable Content.

Perry Bible Fellowship, whilst no longer being made are still the best strips I think.

Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery regularly amuses me. The writing is sublime. Questionable Content is also a heck of a lot of fun. Agreed.

Can't stand VG Cats. Expertly illustrated pandering bile executed by a man who has no respect for the thousands of good people that follow his work.

Edited by Guy

The main ones I read are CAD, Penny Arcade, QC and Cyanide & Happiness. I used to like VG Cats occassionally but the schedule just became rediculous.

There are quite a few others I read but I dont check them as often as those 4.

Can't stand VG Cats. Expertly illustrated pandering bile executed by a man who has no respect for the thousands of good people that follow his work.

Whilst I do think the comics are great I agree with the last part. Maybe updated more than a few times a year might be a nice gestures to the fans.

Another good comic is Manly guys doing manly things.

Penny Arcade is interesting, but I don't always actually get their jokes, even after reading the corresponding blog update. Still, they deliver pretty great humour when they do.

VG Cats is usually pretty good, but when "always" occurs less than once a month, "usually" suddenly becomes a rare occurence - relatively speaking. It's annoying, but I stick by it for now.

It's funny how I started off solely with gaming webcomics, but am now primarily reading non-gaming webcomics.

I dislike the lack of updates on VG Cats, and especially the super effective comic.

Other than that i like CAaD, VGCats and Penny Arcade.

Edit - oh yeh and Cyanide and Happiness

In all fairness, I used to quite like VG Cats until the lack of updates made me start asking WHY I kept coming back. Also it became a bit tiring to have it pop up in conversation with every anime/gaming fan in existence.

Basic VG Cats comic structure. Over roughly 10,000 panels.

- Grey cat does something stupid related to a game.

- Pink cat makes vague threat of violence.

- Sex or pop culture joke.

- Funny facial expression or blood.

- Usually both.

- Repeat once every six months.

Edited by Guy

I check cyanide and happiness every day, they're amazing. And I check VGCats whenever they have new content.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Moogle you're right, definitely a great one to read after someone recommended on here a while ago.

Feeling the hate about VGcats.

As for cyanide and happiness, I'm afraid I don't really like most of them. Haven't read a lot though so maybe just my noobness.

XKCD is a good one when I get it.

Danny posted one about countries as people a little while ago, its okay though some were lame. The same guy did some strips about an interalien couple which was funny but weird as well.

For anyone up to date with QC:

and Dora broke up! Sad faceeee

:(

I used to read CAD religiously for a good year or so. Until I tried to join the website/forum and for some reason the never accepted/thought I was banned.

Petty to stop reading it, but it really fucked me off, if you want fans, allowed them to bloody join.

I only read Questionable content now.