NEurope
McPhee

The Hottest Games of 2011

Saw this article over at Hexus.net and found it quite interesting (as someone who doesn't keep up with what's coming any more). Looks like a good year for the PC and PS3, not so great for the 360 (not surprising really given the number of closures at Microsoft Game Studios in 2008/2009). Had pretty much given up on PC gaming, the only notable release in 2010 was Starcraft 2, but 2011 looks packed!

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28159&page=1

Edited by McPhee
Forgot to put the link in :-/

Honestly, they could release nothing else this year and I'd still be delighted. None the less Zelda: Sky Sword, Dues Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2 and the UK release of Kirby's Epic Yarn will all also be competing for my precious precious monies.

Out of that list, I'm currently interested in Mass Effect 3, GoW3, Portal 2 and Batman.

There's a load of 3DS games that should be good, and Kirby and (if it makes it) Zelda on the Wii. Not to mention all the games that will likely be announced the first half of this year and be due out towards the end of the year.

Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Portal 2, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect 3, Batman...

it's going to be a good year for awesome sequels :D I wonder what new things we'll get to see though....

The Last Guardian hopefully.

If I wasn't game-fatigued, this year would've had me on my toes.

As it is, the only certainties here are Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3.

That's Resistance 3

From that list...

lbp2-logo.jpg

killzone-3-logo.jpg

Portal2_logo.png

resistance-3-logo.jpg

(Really excited about this one.)

uncharted3_logo.png

batman-arkham-city_game_logo.jpg

LA-Noire-logo-.jpg

Want all. So much.

Not on the list...

infamous-2-logo.jpg

(Why wasn't that mentioned?)

2ibey6o.jpg

Journey (Looks stunning. Even better than flower.)

metal_gear_solid_rising_logo_display.png

ico-collection-cover.jpg

Maybe coming out next year...

FFXIII (Yeah, not gonna hit 2011.)

Twisted Metal

The Last Guardian

Agent (Another one not going to hit but I'd like to see it.)

This year looks amazing.

Edited by Daft

Didn't check their list, but picking and choosing from what people mentioned, Portal 2, The Last Guardian/Ico&SotC HD (if they hit this year), Tomb Raider....Yeah. Not much yet.

I'm lamenting myself for stepping in this trap Sir Daft, rest assured! I will proceed to suck it.

I think im looking most forward to inFamous 2 but that whole list looks mighty tempting

Dead State has me intrigued. It'll probably be shit (it's from the guy behind 'Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines') but it's an interesting concept.

Pretty sure I'll be picking up this lot before the year is out:

PC

DCU Online/SW: The Old Republic/AoE Online (not all 3, too much MMO!)

Bulletstorm

Crysis 2

Dragon Age 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The Witcher 2

TES: Skyrim (unless there's co-op, in which case I'll get it on 360)

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Guild Wars 2

DiRT 3

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Ghost Recon

Portal 2

Hitman 5

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

Duke Nukem Forever (got faith in this one now Gearbox have bought it)

La Noir

Plus others if they turn out to be any good (Darkspore, Warhammer, Alice, Diablo 3, Children of Eden, anything else that crops up over the year).

So tempted by a PS3 looking at it's 2011 line-up, but don't think I'll have the time/money for this lot without adding more (plus I'd have to play through the first two Uncharted and Resistance games to get up to speed).

Edited by McPhee

Nah you wouldn't have to play the first Resistance games. They're an acquired taste, and admittedly mostly average, but they're still damned interesting and generally enjoyable.

You have to play Uncharted 2 though.

Resistance 3.

Oh yea, I forgot about Dragon Age 2 and The Witcher 2. Day ones right there.

Alice should hopefully be fantastic.

On the topic of Warhammer, hopefully Space Marine is good and comes out, along with Dark Millennium (the MMO) which is being developed by the Dev that did Darksiders. Apparently it's the same engine too, which is nice seeing as how well they got Darksiders running on the PC (Fantastic port btw).

You know, I'm totally unaware of any new Wii games coming out I need to have.. I only know the ones I have on my backlog (but that's quite a few, so maybe it's a good thing).

For me mainly:

Mass Effect 3

Deus Ex 3

Crysis 2 (I just happend to have started a new game of Crysis 1 on New Year's morning.. In my first playthrough, I didn't know what vsync was / did. It makes all the difference! :D)

The Witcher 2

Guild Wars 2

Portal 2

To lesser extent:

Rage

Dragon Age 2

Batman 2

And some others to even lesser extent (Oblivion, MvC3).

I can probably already tell my GotY will be either ME 3 or DX 3.

PS3 totes wins there. Biggest loser? Wii. No motion-crazy stuff in the list at all (unless there is some sort of mocap-alt control for some of these games, which doesn't count!) which isn't exactly how teh consoles appear to want to shape the future of gaming.

360 only haveing one exclusive on that list is pretty fail.

PS3 totes wins there. Biggest loser? Wii. No motion-crazy stuff in the list at all (unless there is some sort of mocap-alt control for some of these games, which doesn't count!) which isn't exactly how teh consoles appear to want to shape the future of gaming.

2011 The year Wii slowly dies??? it had a pretty huge 2010. I dont like the lack of Zelda on this list. unless i didnt see it.

What i really dislike about 2011.... No sign of GTA :(

LA Noire i'm sure will be great.

I'd suspect some big-ish games from Nintendo will be announced at E3 but I doubt there'll be list which can rival what the other consoles are getting this year, especially when it comes to third parties. Shame but considering the hardware, it should have been expected. Obviously there's Zelda but Nintendo have said this is the time to start localising games they never took out of Japan so who knows what'll happen.

Anyway, yeah big year for the PS3. Must say I'm not overly excited for Killzone 3 (but I'll give it a try) but there's definitely plenty of exclusives I'm interested in getting for the console. Seems to be plenty of multiplatform titles as well, which I guess I'll just divide among the 360 and PS3 so each gets some form of play.

Out of curiosity though, how many people who've saif they're excited for Dragon Age 2 played the first one? From what I remember of the thread when the game came out, I was essentially the only playing it.

I played and loved the first Dragon Age. Still need to play the expansion though, and the DLC.

I played the first Dragon Age. Didn't like it. Felt generic to the core. Shock horror.

Add me to the list of people who loved the original Dragon Age, though for some reason I keep forgetting that the sequel will be released soon.

After playing the first Batman recently I am really excited for the second one. Also Uncharted 3 and LPB2 of course.

I believe Demon's Souls has something to say to Dragon Age fans.

Is it "Hi, I'm a completely different game and while I'm focused on strategic combat, Dragon Age is focused on story and characters"? Because if so, I agree. ;)

Edited by Magnus