NEurope
Coolness Bears

2010: Cinema in Review.

I wish I'd watch some "actual" films this year I've pretty much just meandered about in the deluge of trash that Hollywood has thrown at us and failed to watch many things of actual merit. Never the less I enjoyed most of what I watched this year on some level. :D

Essentially list your favorite films that you've seen this year/rate them and what are your biggest disappointments or the worst films you've had the unpleasant experience of having to waste your precious time on such nonsense!

Can anyone recommend any films that I've missed?

The Road

My first disappointment of the year. By no means a bad film by any standard and it was definitely compelling but it just didn't sit right with me.

I didn't enjoy the ending.

7/10

Princess and the Frog

Initially disappointing but I've grown to like it now.

7/10

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thieves.

Highly amusing. :grin: I laughed so hard when the black guy turned into a goat.

6/10

The Lovely Bones

No one else seems to like this film. I thought it was great. :) Probably too self indulgent directing by Peter Jackson but that's why I loved it.

8.5/10

Alice in Wonderland.

A bit of fun but not that memorable!

6.5/10

Kick Ass

Excellent, I'd been looking forward to it all year and it surpassed what I even thought it was gonna be like. I saw it twice in the cinema and it got better on the second viewing!

8.5/10

Clash Of The Titans

Horrible film. The only saving grace was Gemma Arterton who is beautiful. So many unnecessary things. Also that wasn't a Kraken that was on oversized grumpy sea turtle.

EASE YOUR STORM.

4/10.

Iron Man 2

Cheeky, cheeky film. So flashy that you can forgive it's errors. Robert Downy Jnr.distracts you from the not so great plot and lets face it I enjoyed watching things explode etc.

7/10

The Last Song

okay so there are like no fans of Miley Cyrus and I'm not going to over look that her actings not that great but the story itself was far greater than I'd thought it would be. I went in think cheesy romance story but I got something better that I personally wasn't expecting. It was a good acting performance from Greg Kinnear playing her father.

8/10

Prince of Persia.

Blah, very generic. Again Gemma Arterton wins my heart. :heart: You knew how it would unfold and it was nothing surprising unsure how I ended up watching it actually. It doesn't really hold up to a second viewing either since I fell asleep.

5/10

Street Dance 3D

Ooh the promise of 3D.

The dancing was fun.

that is all.

5.5/10

When In Rome

Kristen Bell can do no wrong?

Well...this plodded along nicely and was a distraction for an hour or so but i've no urge to watch it again in a hurry.

4.5/10

Letters To Juliet.

AMANDA SEYFRIED. :bowdown:

she likes toast ems.

*coughs*

A totally deserved scored of:

8/10

for many reasons.

Inception

Christoper Nolan knows how to makes his films feel classy. It was an intense ride and I thought it was a great summer blockbuster.

plus the audiences reaction to the ending = BIG LULZ.

8.5/10

Toy Story 3

I have watched this about 7 times (3 in the cinema) I think, so far.

The film is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside and I have a passionate love for Lotso Huggin' Bear. :yay: Hands down film of the year and one of my favourite films ever, I didn't think something would bit Up so quickly.

stupidpixarfilmsthatmakemecry.

ACTUAL TEARS OF DESPAIR AND JOY.

"Now Woody, he's been my pal for as long as I can remember. He's brave, like a cowboy should be. And kind, and smart. But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what."

i'm becoming soft in my old age.

Shrek Forever After

Do The Roar.

This is much better than 3 but the fact that they had to create an Alternate Universe for this to happen in shows that they really had nowhere to go with the main story. Equally it's all about how Shrek doesn't feel like he fits in which has been explored through out the other movies anyway.

Also the final battle against rumpelstiltskin was very abrupt and the film ended rather quickly.

6/10

Knight and Day.

Surprise of the Year, I wasn't expecting anything from this and yet it had me laughing through out for good reasons this time and it had a good amount of action in it. The romancing between Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz wasn't that believable but I liked the way they played off each other.

8/10

Cats & Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galore.

I was the only one laughing in the cinema. Not good at all but silly silly fun I want a Cats and Dogs 3 a bit like in the same way I want a Night At The Museum 3. :heh:

6/10

Salt

Second Disappointment of the year. I was looking forward to it greatly but I got a not predictable but a sort of "Oh yeah, that was unsurprising" It was fun to see the action unfold and watch Angelina Jolie do her usual thing but I thought it would be better than it was that's all.

I left underwhelmed.

6/10

Grown Ups

The worst film I've seen this year without a doubt. I don't want to talk about it.

2/10

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

Just like Kick Ass this film Smashed my expectations. I need to watch it again but I loved the humour in it and some of the more subtle jokes that gave the film flare. It was fast paced I just think he should've bagged the asian.

KNIVES FTW.

8.5/10

Four Lions

Terrorism, lol.

lovely dark comedy, delicious in fact.

8.5/10

The Social Network.

There is no faulting David Finch's direction I just didn't find the subject matter all that exciting. Technically a solid film just didn't hit me on any level.

8/10.

Due Date

I don't understand the director sometimes he hits the spot and other times (old school) he doesn't. The comedy in this was more my kind of thing than in the Hangover I much preferred it even when it got into whacky mentalness towards the end.

8/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I ruined the final moments of the film with a rumbling tummy but It was everything I usually want from a Harry Potter film including a sexy piece of animation! much better than the half blood prince.

7/10

So that ends the movies I've seen this year.

My Favourite by a mile being:

600full-toy-story-3-screenshot.jpg

TOY STORY 3

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

Just like Kick Ass this film Smashed my expectations. I need to watch it again but I loved the humour in it and some of the more subtle jokes that gave the film flare. It was fast paced I just think he should've bagged the asian.

KNIVES FTW.

8.5/10

The DVD came out on Monday with loads and loads and loads of bonus features, one of them being the alternative ending where he goes off with Knives. I didn't like it nearly as much :heh:

kniht and day 8/10?!

No.

I forget what I've seen this year. I'll largely go on what you've posted.

The Road

Me and Dan Dare had a man-date with this movie. I think we agree that the book was better, but this was one of the more successful adaptations around. Personally I had a few niggles with how certain scenes were dealt with -- the boy spotting someone, and, yes, the final scene with guy pierce. The former is, to me, one of interpretation, but the latter is maybe pandering to a wider audience. However, accuracy in mind it did a great job of delivering the haunting atmosphere.

Kickass

What a hoot! I had no expectations at all, and I was supremely surprised by Nicholas Cage appearing in a decent movie!!! madness. Great fun, hope a sequel won't be stupid.

Inception

Very much my kind of movie. I saw this with my lady and two friends and I'm fairly certain I was the only one with a smile on their face at the end. Very much a big-budget Matrix in tone, and perhaps a less-likely canditate for cult fame, but a very valiant effort to explore concepts, even if they were a weee bit preordained.

Tron

A sequel, ish, to a much-loved childhood movie. I was unable to watch it without the red goggles of nostalgia. I enjoyed it greatly, but I understand that it is essentially a disney movie. Twas my first 3D movie and gladly it wasn't one that relied heavily on such a ridiculous and annoying concept for a one-eyed man to endure. Style was strong here, substance arguably weak, but similar to the first film there simply was not enough awesome action scenes!

__

I've probably missed several things. I'm not very good at remembering what happened when. Fairly sure I saw a movie with Shorty at some point. Was Wolverine this year? If so OH MY GOD SO SORRY FOR REMINDING PEOPLE OF THAT BULLSHIT.

At xmas I got a year membership to the local indy cinema, so hopefully 2011 will provide a grander post :P

Ah.. I missed a lot of movies I wanted to see (I missed the film festival, and I missed a lot of Hollywood summer blockbusters). But since I work in a arthouse cinema, I've seen a few. I'm catching up.

I'll go over all my ticket stubs to see what I've watched this year, then I'll get back to you ;).

Edit:

Do they have to be released this year, or did you simply have to have watch 'm this year? Just cinema, or TV / DVD / Blu-ray / other as well?

Edited by Sméagol

Paj's Year In Review

In rough order of viewing

Did You Hear About The Morgans?

Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant in a city-folk live life in the country romp. Never watch it. I wished I was dead. (a little)

Princess & The Frog

I enjoyed. I appreciated the return to hand-drawn animation, but it wasn't Disney Classic material I have to say. More like one of those mediocre ones they made in the 80's. Worth a watch though.

Valentine's Day

Nothing, but I quite enjoyed it at the time, in a completely brainless way.

Alice In Wonderland

Crap. Burton's recent visual style is absolute shit...those murky grey backgrounds, the same recycled shyt. I'm bored of Johnny Depp. A muddled story that was needlessly confusing. Helena Bonham Carter saved it a little bit.

I Love You, Philip Morris

I liked this, a bit offbeat and unusual. Worth a watch, and an interesting (true apparently) story.

The Lovely Bones

Got horrible reviews, but I liked it. I liked the tone of it, and the visuals. The story was handled capably, if not expertly.

Kick-Ass

Yesssss. I loved. Very fun, and a brilliant change of pace from the typical superhero films of recent years.

Back-Up Plan

Rom-Com shit, but I find J.Lo endearing. But yeah, barely a film. Some amusing scenes.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I like some of the visuals from this series, and the music. Sadly this one had more R-Patz than New Moon (fail). More action though. Still an atrocious story.

Inception

Very cool, but held up a little too high. I loved that it was a blockbuster that forced you to pay attention, rather than just placating the audience, but it fell into the blockbuster trap of MOAR GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS. I mean, we're in dreamscapes...and that's the most interesting thing they could do with it?

Moments of sheer brilliance in an overall good film, but overrated a bit, it still has it's flaws.

Toy Story 3

Best film I saw this year. Perfect. 3 perfect films, in a row, in a series? Must be a first.

WILL FINISH LATER

I think I've only seen Inception and Toy Story 3 of films from this year...

I've seen Princess and the Frog and When in Rome but I'm sure I saw them last year.

But Inception was fun although a bit ploddy at times and Toy Story 3 fills me with glee.

The DVD came out on Monday with loads and loads and loads of bonus features, one of them being the alternative ending where he goes off with Knives. I didn't like it nearly as much :heh:

Ooh, interesting! I almost bought it the other day but then Joanna Newsom's Ys wins that round.

now I have no money. (accept for Milk Eyed Mender)

Yeah ignore my scores they are entirely arbitrary. <--- am I using that word correctly?

I keep getting it wrong. :p

Also with The Road I was disappointed by the book as well. :heh:

Ah.. I missed a lot of movies I wanted to see (I missed the film festival, and I missed a lot of Hollywood summer blockbusters). But since I work in a arthouse cinema, I've seen a few. I'm catching up.

I'll go over all my ticket stubs to see what I've watched this year, then I'll get back to you ;).

Edit:

Do they have to be released this year, or did you simply have to have watch 'm this year? Just cinema, or TV / DVD / Blu-ray / other as well?

I was just going for what came out this year in the cinema but if you want to go down the route of best movies you've seen this year I'm all for that. :D

I'd go with, ignoring Toy Story 3, I'd go with

American History X, Up In The Air, The Fountain, Whip It and One Piece: Strong World as some of my favourites that I've seen this year. :)

MY TOP 3 BEST MOVIES OF 2010:

3. Inception

I love this movie so much. Everything is just brilliant, from the story to the mind-blowing special effects. This deserves every bit of praise it gets.

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I

Shock! It's not Number One!!! :o I loved every second of this movie but I believe the number one spot should certainly go to...

1. Toy Story 3

For obvious reasons. The perfect way to end a much-loved series.

MY TOP 3 WORST MOVIES OF 2010

3. Little Fockers

I saw this today and this deserves to be in the top 3 worst of 2010! It's unoriginal, not in the slightest bit funny and the movie isn't even about the kids so it's misleading as well! This shouldn't have been made.

Joint 1st. Vampires Suck and The Last Airbender

My God they were boring! If you want to go to sleep, just stick either of these movies on for thirty seconds and you'll be in a deep sleep!

3. Little Fockers

I saw this today and this deserves to be in the top 3 worst of 2010! It's unoriginal, not in the slightest bit funny and the movie isn't even about the kids so it's misleading as well! This shouldn't have been made.

So they just remade the second film? :p

Best film of the year is probably The Town for me. I will go through my old tickets this weekend and highlight each one. But here is a video of the winner, which is everything I think about The Town.

I think I only went to the cinema three times in 2010.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Thought this one was the best so far, which isn't saying much because the two before were awful. Really liked the score by Howard Shore. The action was moderately ok.

Toy Story 3 (3D)

I thought that the 3D added a lot of nice depth, but I had forgotten about it halfway through. Excellent story, animation, entertainment value, character etc. as usual. We have the DVD at home now, yay!

Resident Evil: Afterlife (3D)

So horribly bad that it became genuinely good. Was very impressed with the 3D, I would recommend it hesistantly just for that.

Then of course I downloaded and watched many other old and new movies, which I can't keep track of. Was impressed with Scott Pilgrim. Wished I'd seen Inception in the cinema, but I seem to be programmed to automatically avoid (over)hyped movies regardless of potential. Was very disappointed with Up. Looking forward to Norwegian Wood in 2011.

Edited by EddieColeslaw

So many great films! :o I won't go through them all, but honourable mentions include:

Kick-Ass

Mind. Fucking. Blown. I was overwhelmed by the awesomeness that is this film. Nicolas Cage and Chloë Moretz stole the show, and the action and humour was naturally over the top, but the whole "message" about trying to do better in the world with what you have was surprisingly good as well.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Brilliant. The humour was amazing, and once you get into the universe that is being created before your eyes, you're in a for a rollercoaster ride of pure fun. I was even more positively surprised by the message in this film.

Toy Story 3

No explanation needed, really. The perfect ending to an outstanding series.

And my absolute favourite film this year has undoubtedly been ...

Inception

I loved absolutely everything about this film. It refused to leave my mind for a long time after seeing it, and it has grown on me ever since. So much, in fact, that I even got it on Blu-ray as well as DVD without actually owning a Blu-ray player or HD TV!

You guys all watched Avatar right?...

Anyways, I think I only watched Iron Man 2, Inception and Avatar (3D) at the cinema this year... all of which can be summed up with frickin' AWESOME!!

EDIT: OK, Fail... Avatar was Christmas last year wasn't it!

Edited by Retro_Link

Shutter Island

Great film, great acting and a great plot (I need to read a Thesaurus). I'd give it a 9/10

Alice in Wonderland

Iron Man 2

The A-Team

Karate Kid

The Expendables

I enjoyed these, but none of them were any thing special. They all get a combined 6/10

Hot Tub Time Machine

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected, and it had loads of great moments. 8/10

How to Train Your Dragon

Watched this a few days ago and wasn't expecting much. However, it's was very entertaining and Toothless was awesome. 8/10

The Princess and the Frog

Watched the Blu-Ray a few days ago and the animation is beautiful. The plot is OK but I wasn't fond of the characters (apart from the Shadow Man) and the songs were rubbish (apart from the Shadow Man's). The scene involving the Shadow Man and Ray was amazingly dark for a Disney film. Overall, it just lacked that magic. 7/10

Clash of the Titans

Lots of action an effects, built up a lot to a terrible final battle ("Look at this head! OK, the film is over now"). Overall it's a 4/5 film.

Kick Ass

A film made purely for enjoyment. It gets a 9/10 from me.

Toy Story 3

Do I even need to say anything? 10/10

Twilight: Eclipse

Am I allowed to give negative scores?

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Even though I didn't get most of the anime references, there's still loads of game references and the film itself is wonderful on it's own. Ramona Flowers is simply stunning. 9/10

I don't think I've seen much else this year. Mainly due to going all legal and waiting for Blu-Rays to appear on LoveFilm.

Alice in Wonderland.

Meh, and in 3D too.

Iron Man 2.

Not bad.

Prince of Persia.

Not bad.

Toy Story 3.

Bullshit compared to the previous ones. Much darker but totally inappropriate.

Shrek Forever After.

Wank. Basically intelligence insulting saying “Forget what you saw in the previous movies, it didn’t happen. This isn't a sequel, it's a new film.”

Scott Pilgrim.

Meh also. Nice to see a film with some decent video game references, but on the whole didn’t deliver. The girl was proper fit though.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows.

Boring as fuck. But based on the source material I can't say I'm surprised.

Expendables.

Purposely over the top. Made good by its own intentional faults.

Alice in Wonderland.

Meh, and in 3D too.

Iron Man 2.

Not bad.

Prince of Persia.

Not bad.

Toy Story 3.

Bullshit compared to the previous ones. Much darker but totally inappropriate.

Shrek Forever After.

Wank. Basically intelligence insulting saying “Forget what you saw in the previous movies, it didn’t happen. This isn't a sequel, it's a new film.â€

Scott Pilgrim.

Meh also. Nice to see a film with some decent video game references, but on the whole didn’t deliver. The girl was proper fit though.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows.

Boring as fuck. But based on the source material I can't say I'm surprised.

Expendables.

Purposely over the top. Made good by its own intentional faults.

Do you even like movies in general? :p

Good ones yes. Out of that selection ones I'd watch again would be Toy Story 3 (And to see if I can properly recognise Whoopi Goldberg and Timothy Dalton), Scott Pilgrim and Expendables.

I'd need money to see Harry Potter again.

My faves

Scott Pilgrim - 10/10 My fave of the year

Inception - 10/10

Black Dynamite - 10/10

The Expendables - 9/10

Kick-Ass - 8.5/10

Deathly Hallows - 8.5/10

Toy Story 3 - 7/10 great ending but not as good as the previous two

Predators - 7/10

Knight and Day - 7/10

I also love all the DC animated films that came out this year especially Under the Red hood.

Continued

Iron Man 2

Not as focused as the first, and it suffers being the film to establish the Avengers and the other "attached" films. Lots of awesome elements, just not a very unified whole. Enjoyable though.

Devil

Entertaining/interesting, but not particularly great. Kinda loses the joke half-way through. *shrug*

Exit Through The Gift Shop

Brilliant. Can't be arsed describing it, it's the "Banksy documentary", but...so much more than that. Awesome. :D

The Social Network

Very good. Feels like they took what could have been a boring as fuck movie and made it very appealing. Worth a watch.

Scott Pilgrim

Stunnnnn. Need on DVD. I loved.

Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

Fine. I enjoy the visuals/setting/tone/adult actors. Wish the 3 shits could act better though. I nothing the film in general though.

Tron: Legacy

A crap film with nice, if incredibly overhyped visuals. Decent soundtrack.

Little Fockers

Bad. Awful. Burn.

The Blind Side

I really liked it. Nothing revelatory, nor was Sandra Bullock THAT great, but she was good.

Love & Other Drugs

Certainly tries something a bit different than the usual pretty people fall in love story. There's definitely a little bit more intelligence in it's creation. Deals with the subject matter well, very sad.

Little Fockers

Bad. Awful. Burn.

One thing you could help me with on this. From what I saw from the trailer, De Niro is asking Ben Stiller to become The Godfocker (Which I assume is a patriarch held in the Focker family) but De Niro is not part of the Focker family. I can only assume the trailer is bullshit. Please clear it up for me.

It's because

DeNiro realises he will one day die (after a minor heart attack), and after his other daughter's husband (who he preferred to Stiller) is revealed to have cheated/leaves his wife (DeNiro's daughter), DeNiro finally calls up Stiller and asks him to be the future leader of the family. "You must be the Godfocker". It makes more sense in context.

I didn't choose to see it. I was paid to go see it with my cousin and sister. I wanted to go see Burlesque to be honest. At least that would be entertainingly shit.

And have Kristen Bell!

Although even that doesn't make me want to go see that film.

I didn't choose to see it. I was paid to go see it with my cousin and sister. I wanted to go see Burlesque to be honest. At least that would be entertainingly shit.

You did your family a disservice by agreeing to see it with them.