NEurope
Coolness Bears

2010: Cinema in Review.

You did your family a disservice by agreeing to see it with them.

True, your time could've been better spent watching the entire Comedy Rainbow series. FOR FREE!

I didn't choose to see it. I was paid to go see it with my cousin and sister. I wanted to go see Burlesque to be honest. At least that would be entertainingly shit.

I would have to be paid a lot to see Burlesque. The trailer was...indescribably bad. Above all, I have issues with Christina Aguilera's extensions and make-up. :nono:

I can't remember her appearance in that. But surely it can't have been as bad as her hair in Lady Marmalade!?

Nope :awesome:

Oh thank god I'm not the only one. I'll get round to watching Avatar eventually.... Maybe.... Just never saw the need to go and see it even though people kept telling me to do it.

I only ventured to the cinema twice this year, that I can remember anyway. I saw:

Toy Story 3

It was great but I think I'd perhaps have been a bit disappointed if I had been waiting all these years feverishly awaiting it to appear on the big screen. Also, the 3D for this sucked. Definitely a phoned in job as there were no real '3D' bits (film looked exactly the same without the glasses as it did with them).

Tron Legacy

I loved this. I can understand why people don't/didn't as the flaws are dreadfully apparent throughout but I just didn't care as I was just engrossed by the whole thing. Liking the original probably helped as well.

Think going to the cinema more should be one of my New Year's resolutions. And seeing as a cinema has opened really close by (it's an old style one with the curtains covering the screen which is awesome), I think I'll definitely go to see more things. And the best part is, every Sunday they show a classic film with this sunday being Citizen Kane (:yay:) so I know what I'm doing then.

every Sunday they show a classic film with this sunday being Citizen Kane (:yay:) so I know what I'm doing then.

Something decent with your time when they shown Citizen Kane?

I would love to go to the cinema more, but it's getting so fucking expensive. Around £8 at our local Showcase.

I'm not a massive movie watcher, but I 'obtained' Scott Pilgrim vs The World on a whim, just because I'd heard about it on several gaming sites and saw on the posters that he plays the same bass guitar as me. It's one of my better decisions of the year. In the month since I first saw it, I've watched it 3 times, read the graphic novels, bought the game, bought it on blu-ray, watched pretty much all the extras, got the soundtracks, etc etc. So it's pretty needless to say that I love this film, and I know it's one that I'm going to keep coming back to again and again for years to come. I lesbians this movie.

My highlights are the Sex Bob-omb vs the Katayanagi fight, Nigel Godrich's score, the perfect casting, Ramona Flowers and a special mention to all the sound effects in the movie.

10/10

Edited by ShavenWolf

I'm not a massive movie watcher, but I 'obtained' Scott Pilgrim vs The World on a whim, just because I'd heard about it on several gaming sites and saw on the posters that he plays the same bass guitar as me. It's one of my better decisions of the year. In the month since I first saw it, I've watched it 3 times, read the graphic novels, bought the game, bought it on blu-ray, watched pretty much all the extras, got the soundtracks, etc etc. So it's pretty needless to say that I love this film, and I know it's one that I'm going to keep coming back to again and again for years to come. I lesbians this movie.

My highlights are the Sex Bob-omb vs the Katayanagi fight, Nigel Godrich's score, the perfect casting, Ramona Flowers and a special mention to all the sound effects in the movie.

10/10

Well you pretty much summed up my feelings on the movie here too - minus the bass bit. I've become obsessed with the film and series, having watched the extras on the DVD, all the commentaries etc, and having now watched the film 4 times. I can't get enough.

Gotta get myself a film cel or something. The way I've described it to my friends is "It's as if a group of people sat down and said 'Right, we need to make Dyson's perfect film'", because that's what it feels like. It's odd. I've never been this in to something before.

"It's as if a group of people sat down and said 'Right, we need to make ShavenWolf's perfect film'", because that's what it feels like. It's odd. I've never been this in to something before.

This.

And it's made me want to be in a band again more than ever.

Haha, odd coincidence, I just finished watching Scott Pilgrim.

Got the BluRay yesterday (was bloody hard to find too, few stores stock blurays where I am and those that do don't get much stocks of new releases).

Had a few cousins over for the New Year so got them to watch it, their first time.

Loved watching their confused faces, having knowing nothing of the film, when the first evil-ex fight starts they were like "WTF is going on here!!!"

I'll never forget when I first saw a trailer for it. It was like the perfect "Holy Shit I must See this" trailer. The way it started like it was another average Rom-Com and your thinking "oh no", then it suddenly becomes the most awesome trailer you've ever seen.

Which then later becomes the most awesome movie you've ever seen when you see the whole thing. It's just too much pure win for one movie.

Watched almost all the extras now on the bluray. Loved the outtakes, especially the one where he throws the package into the bin. over 30 takes... I was thinking "why didn't they just CG it, haha", thought he'd never get it in. :heh:

Also the alternate scenes, including the Alternate (original) Ending.

Though wish there was a way to view the film as a whole with the alt ending on it, or a directors cut. There were a good few deleted scenes that would work well to get added back in a directors cut.

My wife also got me the first 4 books as gifts (2 for my birthday and 2 recently for xmas) and loving them, just ordered the final 2 as not gonna wait for October for my next bday, haha.

Did you guys watch the "Vs the Censors" feature? That was brilliant, genuinely had me laughing throughout :D

Did you guys watch the "Vs the Censors" feature? That was brilliant, genuinely had me laughing throughout :D

Haha, everything's funny when you replace it with "owls"...

I can now add the Avatar: Extended Extended Edition to the list. In this version, they seem to have added the entire plot to the film, making it a hundred times better. There are explanations for lots of important stuff that weren't in the original version. Still, the characters are still rather naff and apart from Sigourney Weaver (mainly because she's Sigourney Weaver), none of them are particularly likeable. I'd give this version a 7/10. One problem with the Blu-Ray: With the amount of detail, you can tell that the creatures and Na'vi have an unrealistic shine to them, making them look plasticy. Still, the landscapes are wonderful to look at.

So ehm, I can't find all my tickets from this year, I only have the ones from the cinema I work in within reach. Some of the movies I've watched in a (open-air) cinema this year:

Black Dynamite

Surely the baddest motherfucker to ever hit the scene? On the one hand, it is a parody on blaxploitation, on the other hand, it remains just as cool to watch. Great.

Toy story 3

Wasn't expecting that much, but I was amazed Pixar delivered one of the greatest 2nd sequels of a franchise I've ever seen. 3D was great by the way. Gorgeous setpieces, some genuinely exciting action sequences (forget what I said about Black Dynamite, the clapping monkey is the baddest motherfucker to ever hit the scene), and just a lot of fun. Great.

Inception

I probably need to see it a 2nd (and completely dissect it) before I can properly judge this, but I wasn't convinced. The whole film I had the feeling something didn't make sense ? wasn't right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Again, need to watch it again, but for now..Meh.

Machete

Intentionally bad movie. So great in in't bad execution, that it it's genuinely a blast to watch. And the gorgous ladies help things too. Fun.

The road

I only saw this a few weeks ago (special screening). Not familiar with the book, but the atmosphere was great. Good.

Evangelion 2.0: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!

I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen the series completely. Part 1 pretty much summarised what I've seen of it. And part 1 didn't diverge too much from the series. Part 2 however.. I really wonder what they will do with the next 2 parts, because this part already seemed to cover an alternative to the end of the series. Anyway, obviously not an fulfilling ending, but some great animation to behold before it. EVA & Monster designs a bit hit and miss, Don't like the EVA 05 (the ehh green one), but I love the monster it's battling in the begin, for example. Some lovely fan service, including a parody (of which I assume wasn't in the series) on the infamous "toothpick scene" (which itself was shown again in part 1), and I'm in love with the [new EVA pilot]! :D. Sugoi.

Alice in wonderland

So yeah, forgot I saw this crap. Was anticipating it, because of Burton mainly, but he disappointed greatly. Too much CGI. Don't ever want to see this again. Bah.

El mal ajeno

I wonder what I can say about this Spanish movie, without spoiling it a little, so I'll leave it at: it's a drama with a bit of a fantasy element, about a doctor who is shot in his hospital. When he recovers he finds his patients react in unexpected ways. Good.

Tamara Drewe

This was great. Very funny, mainly because of the ridiculous characters in the film, just watching that drummer's face cracks me up :D! And eventhough the guy gets the girl in the end, some things happen which I didn't see coming along the way.. And of course, I could watch Gemma Arterton's ass all day, whether it's covered in oil, or by some tight shorts. Hilarious.

Winter's bone

I'm not a fan of this aspect of American culture (..), but if you look past that, this is just an awesome thriller with a great, nasty atmosphere, making you hate those hillbillies even more if you didn't already. Except for the poor girl of course, whose performance is outstanding. Great.

The red shoes

This is not a new film, it's a restored rerelease of apparently a classic. Regarded as one of the best examples of films in technicolor. I can see why, this films is absolutely visually stunning. I also never expected to enjoy ballet scenes so much, let me tell you, I'm not much of a ballet guy. But it greatly helps if the movie / ballet scenes is / are based on a fairytale. And Moira Shearer is such a cutie. Lovely.

The fantastic mr. Fox

I love animation in general, and I'm a sucker for stop-motion. Coupled with some [wonderful dry humour], and the voice of George Clooney, and you have a hit in my eyes. Great.

500 days of summer

Yup, I know this one is from last year (I usually can't remember :p), but it had a screening at an annual open-air cinema event thing we have here. I went to see it a second time with my brother, because I just love this movie! Fantastic, especially as it was in October, so occasionally you could be distracted by some

(although some of 'm were just bugs flying through the projector lights ;). Hilarious.

The social network

Yeah, so.. I wasn't particularly excited for this film. But hey, I had a free ticket, so why not? It's like, I think Paj already said.. The subject sounds really boring, but they managed to make a very entertaining film out of it. It was a very pleasent surprise. Great.

Scott Pilgrimm vs the world

I've been anticipating this too, and it mostly delivered. Great to see the guy from Arrested Development finally doing something else a bit. Still not sure if I think it's a great movie, but it sure is very entertaining to gamers like us. KO.

Tears for sale

Saving the best for last. Saw this at a festival, wouldn't have seen this otherwise. I'm very glad I did. This is a Czech movie. What? Do they make films over there? Yes! :D Never seen a Czech films before either.

I'm a sucker for fairytales, especially when they're drenched in melancholy. Couple that with some stunning visuals / setpieces, and 2 gorgeous leading actresses, and you make me very happy. Since this may be the most obscure film on my list, but also one of the films I most enjoyed, this is the one I'd recommend to everyone. Who likes the stuff I mentioned above, obviously. Beware though, I've read some things about a heavily cut release existing, the one on the UK DVD release for example. Yay.

Edited by Sméagol

The Red Shoes is 60 years old Smeogal how dare you You cunt.

Kater Bush like mader a pointg of this, shite,

It's good thogh.

Some of these comments are so long!

I'll try keep mine short. I didn't even remember some movies until I saw them in this thread. Scott Pilgrim, Avatar, Salt, Harry Potter + Toy Story = :love:

Avatar gets way too much hate for being "over-rated". That's why I love it even more :D

Scott Pilgrim & Salt were probably my favorites.

I also enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon :p Alice in Wonderland was watchable because of Helena Boham Carter :love: I still enjoyed it though.

Shrek...yuck!! AAARRGHGHGTJRTSIK

Going to watch Inception tomorrow on MA NEEU HD 1080 LCD 27.5" TV!! :D

Had a lot of fun at the movies this year. Managed to catch a bunch of classics both old and new. Didn't even see most of the greats up there on the big screen if I really think back. Most of my personal highlights have been mentioned here already, so I'll just say I hope 2011 is as good as 2010.

The only movie I watched at the cinema in 2010 was Avatar, but I pretty much agree with Dannyboy's picks for movies of the year.

Kick-Ass

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Toy Story 3

Inception

It's between toy story 3 and avatar for me.

I didn't see a WHOLE lot of movies this year though.

Oh yeahAvatar: Extended Edition.

That should have been the normal film to begin with, I mean it only adds 9 minutes so I don't know why he cut it since all it does is add to the "experience".

It's also fun in Imax.

A world of awesome.

Also, totally coincidentally, my friend's going to be living in Toronto for a year, so we've started talking about me flying over to meet him in a few months. I'll definitely try and go on some type of Scott Pilgrim tour when I'm there. :)

So many great films! :o I won't go through them all, but honourable mentions include:

Kick-Ass

Mind. Fucking. Blown. I was overwhelmed by the awesomeness that is this film. Nicolas Cage and Chloë Moretz stole the show, and the action and humour was naturally over the top, but the whole "message" about trying to do better in the world with what you have was surprisingly good as well.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Brilliant. The humour was amazing, and once you get into the universe that is being created before your eyes, you're in a for a rollercoaster ride of pure fun. I was even more positively surprised by the message in this film.

Toy Story 3

No explanation needed, really. The perfect ending to an outstanding series.

And my absolute favourite film this year has undoubtedly been ...

Inception

I loved absolutely everything about this film. It refused to leave my mind for a long time after seeing it, and it has grown on me ever since. So much, in fact, that I even got it on Blu-ray as well as DVD without actually owning a Blu-ray player or HD TV!

.....one question Danny....WHERE'S HARRY POTTER??? lol. But yeah, I agree with all of this PLUS Harry Potter! lol.

Watched almost all the extras now on the bluray. Loved the outtakes, especially the one where he throws the package into the bin. over 30 takes... I was thinking "why didn't they just CG it, haha", thought he'd never get it in. :heh:

Haha that sounds fantastic, I was thinking I might buy the DVD, one of the rare films that I'd actually want to check out the extras for. Though general question:

Do DVDs these days have extras? Or do you have to buy the Blu-Ray for them?

Great for O'Malley that so many more people have been converted to his comics (myself included), even non comic book readers (myself included).

Highlight of the year for me was Monsters, if only because I think everyone should watch it and the way it was filmed utterly stuns me.

Noteably great films of the year, in ascending order of greatness:

Inception

An Education

Kick Ass

Toy Story

Scott Pilgrim

A pretty obvious list.

3. Little Fockers

I saw this today and this deserves to be in the top 3 worst of 2010! It's unoriginal, not in the slightest bit funny and the movie isn't even about the kids so it's misleading as well! This shouldn't have been made.

Were you expecting it to be good, seriously the first one was passable, the second one dog shit. So this had bad from the start and the trailers didn't even make it look good.

Kick-Ass was film of the year for me, I had a massive smile on my face throughout the whole film, what more could you want and was it right to laugh while Big Daddy was burning to his death!! I think so :)

Edited by James

.....one question Danny....WHERE'S HARRY POTTER??? lol. But yeah, I agree with all of this PLUS Harry Potter! lol.

I did say they were honourable mentions. :heh: The Harry Potter films have never meant as much to me as the books. As it has become necessary for the filmmakers to cut more and more out to make them work as films, some of the charm has disappeared.

I still love them, though, do not be mistaken about that! :D

Oh yeahAvatar: Extended Edition.

That should have been the normal film to begin with, I mean it only adds 9 minutes so I don't know why he cut it since all it does is add to the "experience".

It's also fun in Imax.

Did the Cinema version include the scenes set on Earth, giving the main character an actual backstory (as well as showing you why some companies are really desperate and stuff)?