NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

NEED HELP - XBOX 360 HDMI

Hey guys,

My sister has taken her Xbox home for Christmas and she's hooked it up to the big HD TV (she doesn't have one in her flat) and it looks awful through the standard cables.

Its the new, small Xbox. What's the best (cheapest - in town, not online) way to get HD? HDMI is an option but I think you need more than just an HDMI cable for it to work?

What are the options available to us? I currently use the VGA cable for my 360 but I think that HDMI is better?

HDMI is your best bet. Just get the cheapest one you can find, any will do. Since the signal is digital, there's no gain from buying expensive cables with amazing 'gold' connectors or whatever. You don't need any more than the cable, assuming your TV has a HDMI port.

£1.99 Delivered

Edit: just realised you said in town, not online, but that's the kind of thing you should be looking for. That said, a lot of high street stores will have extortionate prices so might need to look around a little.

There's one at Argos for £4.99. And to give an idea of how stupid prices for HDMI cables can be, there's also one for £127.19 and you can be sure that the difference is hardly noticable, if at all.

Edited by Shorty

The is no difference. It is scientifically impossible for different HDMI cables to give different image qualities.

IT'S A GODDAMN DIGITAL SIGNAL!! All 0s and 1s; it either works or it doesn't.

(That wasn't a rant at anyone. Just this bizarre HDMI cable industry.)

OK great, thanks guys.

That's what I thought but I thought I should check first (here and Google) before I send my brother off into the unknown (a snowy Glasgow) to get an HDMI cable.

I think he's reserved the cheapest one possible at PC World, which is a fiver.

HDMI works on an 'all or nothing' principle, so yes just buying any cable will suffice, the only thing that does seem to change is the amount of bandwith as they keep revising it to make certain things possible like sending a 3D signal from a PS3 to a 3DTV - using HDMI ver 1.4 - on certain games, but for just connecting an Xbox 360 to a standard HDTV you shouldn't have to worry about such needless nonsense. :p

By the time 3D in gaming becomes 'standard' - if it does - all HDMI cables manufactured from that point will more than likely carry those kinds of capabilities, regardless of price as I'm sure it makes sense to keep making the latest version of the cable, heck it might even be the 'standard' cable that you find almost anywhere now as version 1.4 has been around since early 2009. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Connectors

If the 360 is an older one it wont have an HDMI socket on the back so check that first.

My old 20 gigger has a HDMI output.

Sign in to follow this