NEurope
jayseven

What Not To Buy

I like to buy games on the cheap. 4 for £20 or simply £5 attached to a game makes me consider it, so I figured I'd make this thread in order to air questions that I normally face in the bargain bin. The length of this generation of gaming means that quality games from a few years ago are available at a very good price.

Recently I've pondered certain purchases and I really want to know if the experience the game offers is worth the advice. In essence this is a 2nd-hand thread.

The Club is available for around £5. Is it worth it?

I've also seen Jericho for a similar price, and F.E.A.R. 2 is available for about £10 now.

The majority of my games are bought 2nd hand. We all know that some games quickly sing to bargain prices while others, usually the triple-A titles (where does that tag even come from?) tend to come out expensive and take years to become affordable for your typical dole-scummer. Wet is getting ridiculously cheap, too.

Games I would recommend that are cheap;

Darksiders is averaging £10 currently.

Pure/Lego Batman is less than a tenner and offers an adequate racing game and honestly a very well worked out co-op game. If you're an achievement whore then it's a good bet.

Crackdown is, at most, £5 now, and offers a great sandbox experience - though best played co-op.

Viva Pinata is perfect for you if you are addicted to farmville-esque games - I picked up my copy for a couple of quid and it has enough content to last weeks.

[prototype] is under a tenner and is a surprise at that. Give it a few hours and refuse to be overwhelmed with the array of arm manifestations and you'll be in for a treat.

There are plenty of 7/10 games out there, and there are several that may be better suited to you than the review may suggest.

While rental is always a good option, there's a certain psychology involved in purchasing a cheap game rather than renting it.

I don't know if this thread will bomb (probably, as I've spent a lot of words in the OP) or not, but I, for one, will be using this thread to ask people of their opinions of cheap games that I spy. Because they're all I can afford.

I have heard good things of Darksiders. If you haven't played Viva Piñata go straight for the sequel - Trouble in Paradise. Crackdown is a must, but don't go in expecting it to offer more than just simple fun. Stay away from everything else, especially Prototype.

Has anyone played Dante's Inferno and The Saboteur?

Both these games had me intrigued last year, but were never purchased and were overlooked by other games.

I see these quite cheap now, I think between £10 & £15, and have often considered parting with my cash.

also...Mad World on Wii is £6 in Tesco.... is it any good? even if it's not that good, should i get it for £6 anyway?

Do not buy The Club, it's pants. You're getting ripped for five quid. F.E.A.R 2 is decent, probably worth a tenner if you don't mind missing out on a few pints instead.

I've become a bit more like you Jay. I rarely purchase release day items because I'm still playing other games so I've decided to wait for them to become a bit cheaper.

I'm looking at purchasing Bayonetta and Gundam Warriors 2 which I think are now both under a tenner. I've played bayonetta before but would like to play it again. Definitely a great game and the warriors should just be a bit of a fun beat-em up.

But if you find any really good bargains you'd recommend, definitely post them in here Jay, I'll look out for Darksiders and prototype!

If by Gundam Warriors 2 you mean Dynasty warriors gundam 2. Then I'd say do for under £10. It's simple game play which does get repetitive after awhile but it is quite enjoyable to play. Multiplayer could be a bit better but it works.

Bayonetta I found more enjoyable than DMC 4 but maybe it's because I prefered the flow of Bayonetta and had more heart pumping moments.

Edited by Ten10
Some school boy errors. Grammar police

If you love repetitive titles, then Prototype is the game for you. Marvel as you repeat the same style mission again and again. Marvel as you decapitate people over and over.

It is good for the first 30 minutes, then it is a rinse and repeat title.

If by Gundam Warriors 2 you mean Dynasty warriors gundam 2. Then I'd say do for under £10. It's simple game play which does get repetitive after awhile but it is quite enjoyable to play. Multiplayer could be a bit better but it works.

Bayonetta I found more enjoyable than DMC 4 but maybe it's because I prefered the flow of Bayonetta and had more heart pumping moments.

That's the game. I love Dynasty Warriors and I liked the anime series of Gundam Wing so it has always looked interesting.

Does it play well like Dynasty Warriors?

I don't understand the hate for prototype. Yeah it's repetitive, but it's fun! So far Crackdown's annoyed me with its precision fucking jumping up buildings. Prototype I can hop, skip and jump up that shit.

I always recommend CeX for your bargain hunting. Red Faction: Guerrilla is only £4. As I said, games in the bargain bin will be repetitive to a degree, but if you enjoy it then what's the problem? At these sorts of prices I don't feel so bad for not liking the game. At least I get a better taste of the range of games out there! For under a tenner you're going to have to expect a 7/10 game, max. So what! That is value for money.

Has anyone played Dante's Inferno and The Saboteur?

I enjoyed both of them. Thay're repetitive and don't last long, but I still enjoyed them.

I enjoyed both of them. Thay're repetitive and don't last long, but I still enjoyed them.

Do they have collectable items?

I don't mind doing collectables, but these type of achievements do bug me alot.

That's the game. I love Dynasty Warriors and I liked the anime series of Gundam Wing so it has always looked interesting.

Does it play well like Dynasty Warriors?

In terms of the particular series you like Wing (which is my personal favourite) there are only two characters from that universe. Milliardo and Heero.

The main story mode focuses like most Gundam games on the first series Mobile Suit Gundam. Personally Shenlong and Deathscythe would have been nice additions but alas just those.

Mission mode follows characters from across the gundam universe, with characters getting various missions both pertaining to their own roles in each series and also some more general ones. Additionally each character has a set of Very hard missions which unlock top-level upgrades for their signature gundam.

As for playing like typical DW games the game breaks down into playing field split into grid squares. Control enemy squares by defeating the large number of enemies present in each square. Sometimes enemy commanders will enter fields your side controls and you must go to their aid.

DWG: 2 adds to the original game Giant gundams one in particular is a pain to defeat each time you come across it.

Each gundam / mobile suit has a special move, which varies depending on their class. Some of the more powerful gundams have an over drive technique which is usually triggered when a pilot that you have a positive relationship with are within reach of each other to trigger a team overdrive attach. Special skills can be obtained so that an overdrive attach can be triggered without this prerequisite.

The single player is quite a grind but once you've leveled up a particular Gundam enough then it becomes quite enjoyable. The Multiplayer both split screen and online leave much to be desired, and are best avoided as they seem to be more of an after thought. Two local players can play through the mission mode however, which is my preferred method. But the annoying part is that this has to be set up after each mission.

I think I've written enough about a game I got for 9 quid.

Edited by Ten10

Do they have collectable items?

I don't mind doing collectables, but these type of achievements do bug me alot.

Dante's Inferno has easily-missable collection achievements. The Saboteur has around 500 (may be more) things that you have to blow up (buy dynamite, set to explode, run away, escape guards if needed) and is very time consuming.

Well, Red Faction: Guerilla is a 9/10 game, so yall should get that asap.

Jericho and Club are both bad, but Jericho is especially abysmal. It has a demo on XBL so try that first if you're considering. F.E.A.R 2 was one that I enjoyed, purely because the mechanics of shooting and the enemy AI, in true monolith fashion, were absolutely brilliant. Still, it fails to get any scares, because in the original, it was the more minimal desaturated look that emphasised a few key colours that gave the game its oppressive and slightly haunting atmosphere. They made the same mistake in the sequel as they did with the sequel to Condemned; the production sheen on it just detracts from what made it great in the first place.

Prototype is great, RedFaction: Guerilla was pretty much my GOTY last year it was so fun. You can get Just Cause 2 for about £15 preowned at GAME I believe which is definitely worth a look, just for its sheer destructive power and over-the-top but fun gameplay.

What do you think about Metro 2033? I've heard it's repetitive but it sounds like it may have enough style for me to overcome that.

Well, Red Faction: Guerilla is a 9/10 game, so yall should get that asap.

Jericho and Club are both bad, but Jericho is especially abysmal. It has a demo on XBL so try that first if you're considering. F.E.A.R 2 was one that I enjoyed, purely because the mechanics of shooting and the enemy AI, in true monolith fashion, were absolutely brilliant. Still, it fails to get any scares, because in the original, it was the more minimal desaturated look that emphasised a few key colours that gave the game its oppressive and slightly haunting atmosphere. They made the same mistake in the sequel as they did with the sequel to Condemned; the production sheen on it just detracts from what made it great in the first place.

Couldn't agree with you more there on the F.E.A.R. and Condemned sequels.

Looks like F.3.A.R will repeat the same mistakes from the screenshots I've seen

Couldn't agree with you more there on the F.E.A.R. and Condemned sequels.

Looks like F.3.A.R will repeat the same mistakes from the screenshots I've seen

Yeah, and on top of that, it's not even being made by Monoilth Soft :(.

What do you think about Metro 2033? I've heard it's repetitive but it sounds like it may have enough style for me to overcome that.

It's good from what I've played of it. Was initially intrigued by it when I was in my Eastern European games kick, and it definitely has a very distinct feel to it thats kinda reminiscent of S.T.A.L.K.E.R (which is an absolutely phenomenal game), except that its quite a bit more linear, and doesn't function on the same faction based politics/ in fighting. Very cool atmosphere though, which is something I'm a sucker for, and I think you probably are too guessing from what you said about Deadly Premonition. Its kinda too bad that you don't have a gaming PC, because that platform has a lot of games like that, which I'm convinced you would enjoy, for absolutely dirt cheap. (Metro 2033 is very much a PC game, and has its home on that platform)

Very yes. If you're a sucker for game design that doesn't smell like it came out of either Japan or America. But get STALKER first.

I have played and loved STALKER. The first one. I have Clear Sky too and have yet to play that..

That shit was pretty janky at times, but when you got it to run properly, it was an incredible experience. Clear Sky looks even better with all the updated dynamic lighting and DX10 particle effects actually adding to the creepy-as-fuck atmosphere, rather than, in the case of FEAR, detracting from it. Actually, STALKER was one of the most frightening games I've ever played, when you went into the underground bunkers filled with the most insane, radioactivity-addled monstrocities. Like that one monster that basically had the effect of pulling you out of your perspective, and drawing it towards itself before putting it back in your body...it makes you relieved to get back to the surface, even though its this destroyed, radioactive wasteland, you never know what lethal shit you're gonna run into.

I bought Mirror's Edge for £3. It was fun, but exceeeeeedingly short. I would have felt ripped-off if I'd paid any more for it. So yeah. £3 or so is what it's worth, do not buy if it's more than that.

Games to recommend?

I picked up GTA Liberty City Stories the other day for about £12 second hand. It was a good deal for what is basically an improved version of GTA 4. Car handling is better, the missions are more fun, there are new vehicles and guns... and you're getting two separate storylines for the money.

I also nabbed Splinter Cell: Conviction the other day. It's tough to get into but now I'm used to it, it's a cracking game. I paid a tenner for it I think, definitely worth it

I am exactly the same as you jayseven - I've basically decided that I won't pay more than £15 for a game any more. I wait a few months until after the initial furor has passed and pick it up when the price drops. I got Assassin's Creed 2 for £10 as well, and that is a cracking game.

I bought Mirror's Edge for £3. It was fun, but exceeeeeedingly short. I would have felt ripped-off if I'd paid any more for it. So yeah. £3 or so is what it's worth, do not buy if it's more than that.

I bought Mirror's Edge on release day for £40 and while it had it's issues, I felt it was well worth the money as I really enjoyed it (my GotY for 2008) and did put quite a bit of time into the time trials so I got plenty of run time out of it. It's not that short, as I've played shooters which have had shorter runtimes than ME, although they did have online multiplayer but still.