NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

This time, there are three auto save slots to prevent that.

Ah I see, that's cool then.

The Daedric missions, stupid question but are they main questline related?

I don't want to miss the chance to get the artefacts for the achievement, and If they are main questline based then I'll have to be alot more cautious when completing missions,

Daedric quests and the resulting artifacts are like major sidequests, and they generally are quite lengthy, and have a word/shout wall also at the end. Plus the artifacts are epic. For example:

Asura's star for example is an soul gem that never disappears so it can house anything from petty to grand soul. I think you can get it to house black gems if you pick a certain option when available.

About that, can I sell/drop the artifact? I don't want to carry worthless junk I won't use.

Yeah you can sell and drop them, though they are so epic you really wouldn't want to get rid of them, and some, if not all, dont sell for that much actually. Also, npc's actually notice and comment on them.

Unless there's a bow artifact and maybe a good one handed sword I don't see the use of them for me. I got a staff and some sword I think didn't do much damage, that I sold. Kept some armour that had some ability I thought I could use, but I'm not sure where I got it. Saviour's armour I think it's called.

Unless there's a bow artifact and maybe a good one handed sword I don't see the use of them for me. I got a staff and some sword I think didn't do much damage, that I sold. Kept some armour that had some ability I thought I could use, but I'm not sure where I got it. Saviour's armour I think it's called.

There are 15 artifacts so im pretty sure there will be at least one that matches your criteria.

Daedric quests and the resulting artifacts are like major sidequests, and they generally are quite lengthy, and have a word/shout wall also at the end. Plus the artifacts are epic. For example:

Asura's star for example is an soul gem that never disappears so it can house anything from petty to grand soul. I think you can get it to house black gems if you pick a certain option when available.

A word to the wise:

If you do this quest and opt for the black star instead of Azura's star it captures both creature and human souls. Human souls are easier to get grand souls with.

Does anyone know what the particular rules are regarding the thieves guild in Skyrim? For instance, if I've started a quest for the guild and then kill someone unrelated to that quest will I still loose the reward, or is it like Oblivion where there was just a set list of people you couldn't kill for each mission?

A word to the wise:

If you do this quest and opt for the black star instead of Azura's star it captures both creature and human souls. Human souls are easier to get grand souls with.

Yeah, that's what I was hinting too. Think I will do this on a second play thru with a character that this option suits.

The health drain weapons are pretty cool. Like the sword you can de-equip from the thief's guild leader (with 70+ pickpocket + perk) which absorbs I think 15HP per strike. Makes healing fairly unnecessary most the time.

Also to finish the thieve's guild you apparently need to turn over the skeleton key. I'd say keep the key since it's an unbreakable lockpick, and hand it over as one of the last things you do. I think it'd be a waste spending all your points to get the same effect on the lockpick tree.

Anyone done the Mind of Madness quest yet? The Wabbajack has to be one of the most awesome weapons you get in this game. The great thing is, they've transferred the sense of humour and just plain wackyness from the Fallout Games over to Skyrim, which is great, since the previous iterations in the series were unnecessarily po faced in their seriousness.

The health drain weapons are pretty cool. Like the sword you can de-equip from the thief's guild leader (with 70+ pickpocket + perk) which absorbs I think 15HP per strike. Makes healing fairly unnecessary most the time.

Also to finish the thieve's guild you apparently need to turn over the skeleton key. I'd say keep the key since it's an unbreakable lockpick, and hand it over as one of the last things you do. I think it'd be a waste spending all your points to get the same effect on the lockpick tree.

Ah, but:

When you complete the Thieves Guild questline you get a special item. I don't want to spoil it, but it's the best of it's type in the game and very useful (probably more useful than the Skeleton Key).

I might get this, but not sure if i'll like it. I tend to not like RPGs, but nobody can seem to say a bad word about it.

I really didn't like Fallout 3 or New Vegas, is it unlikely i'll like this then?

I agree wholeheartedly. The rewards you get aren't really worth it.

the ability to turn invisible. Bit pointless though since my stealth skill is so high that I'm pretty much invisible anyway. I managed to stand about 6 feet away from someone in the dark and they couldn't see me. They were facing me too.

I might get this, but not sure if i'll like it. I tend to not like RPGs, but nobody can seem to say a bad word about it.

I really didn't like Fallout 3 or New Vegas, is it unlikely i'll like this then?

Depends on what you didn't like about the Fallout games.

The game is really about exploring a massive world, doing quests of various sizes levels of importance, developing your character, finding good equipment, etc. The production values are very high, but the game isn't the most bug free ever made (but better than previous Bethesda games).

The openness of the world feels a lot more like Fallout 3 than NV, whereas you can really go anywhere in the world, and you aren't herded towards specific paths. There's stuff do to just about everywhere. Its difficult to go into the wilderness and not stumble upon a dungeon entrance, a village, or encampment. While you still have a large number of named quests like in Oblivion/Fallout 3/NV, there are also a large number of apparently procedurally generated quests that largely serve the purpose of giving meaning to doing certain things. For instance you might go to a village and talk to the leader and be asked to clear out a dungeon near the village, or maybe retrieve an item from some bandits.

Your character's development is largely controlled by your actions. Leveling is like in Oblivion, only now there's no distinction between the importance of skills based on class, so you're not stuck with any particular role based on your choices at the beginning of the game. However, every level you do get to choose either Health, Magic, or Stamina to improve, and you get to select perks that can have a very significant influence on how you play the game. Your race also plays a role in what you'll excel at.

Items tend to be pretty much the same as in Oblivion, so, much more varied than those in the fallout games. The major addition this time around is crafting equipment. Its similar, to the crafting in Fallout NV. However, the process of crafting and obtaining materials is a little bit different. Rather than salvaging otherwise useless stuff and building some sort of improvised weapon out of it, you instead collect raw materials by hunting animals and mining ore, then use various machines and tools to process it.

In general the game is very similar to Bethesda's previous work, but its been refined and improved on substantially. If it was specific things that turned you off from the Fallout games, I'd give it a try, but if it was the overall system of the game, you might want to save your money.

Ah, but:

When you complete the Thieves Guild questline you get a special item. I don't want to spoil it, but it's the best of it's type in the game and very useful (probably more useful than the Skeleton Key).

I heard it's a choice of 3 spells, all of which can be used once a day. I think given how often you lockpick it would be more useful overall.

I tried a few of the skill boosting methods last night.

got my destruction magic from 24 to 41, my heavy armour from 31 to 35 and my blocking from 24 to 35.

Just in the first mission when trying to join the companions. instead of attacking that guy, I was just flaming him, then when my magika bar refills I just let him attack me as it does barely any damage and boosts my heavy armour, or if I block with shied it boosted that instead.

was doing it for about 30 minutes, think i'll do it a bit more :p

I heard it's a choice of 3 spells, all of which can be used once a day. I think given how often you lockpick it would be more useful overall.

A choice of three powers. Only tried one, which is invisibility. If you go in to the shadows you disappear. Doesn't seem to be once a day, it's been happening for my character all the time (though shadow detection can be a bit dodgy at times).

You also get (upon completing all Thieves Guild Quests) the Guild Master's Armour. It's the highest rated armour in the game, light armour that offers more protection than even Heavy Armour like Daedric or Dragon Plate.

Opening locks with the Skeleton Key was easy, but IMHO it ain't worth missing out on that lot. Lock picks are cheap and it doesn't take long to work out how to break even a Master lock (usually takes me 15-20 picks for one of them, followed by massive disappointment when they open to reveal 30 gold and a Steel War Axe).

The Fallout games didn't really capture me. I think it's the post-apocalypse thing, I didn't really like trawling through barren, ruined cities. Oblivion and Skyrim are just awesome though

Grinded my way up to level 75 Illusion today. Thieves guild quests are quite a bit easier with access to the invisibility spell. And the grind is incredibly easy if you take a few Illusion perks.

I decided to give it a go, and I'm really glad I did.

Just been on it for 3 hours, and I absolutely love it. It must be the setting of Fallout out that i didn't like, pretty much like McPhee. The world in Skyrim is just stunning, so amazing and beautiful. It just feels massive, like i haven't even started yet, can't wait to get further in.

I stopped just as I was about to fight my first dragon.

A choice of three powers. Only tried one, which is invisibility. If you go in to the shadows you disappear. Doesn't seem to be once a day, it's been happening for my character all the time (though shadow detection can be a bit dodgy at times).

You also get (upon completing all Thieves Guild Quests) the Guild Master's Armour. It's the highest rated armour in the game, light armour that offers more protection than even Heavy Armour like Daedric or Dragon Plate.

Opening locks with the Skeleton Key was easy, but IMHO it ain't worth missing out on that lot. Lock picks are cheap and it doesn't take long to work out how to break even a Master lock (usually takes me 15-20 picks for one of them, followed by massive disappointment when they open to reveal 30 gold and a Steel War Axe).

Meh as goafer said you're practically invisible in the shadows with decent sneak anyway. As for the armour, while nice, I still think not having to waste time on difficult locks is better. Even if the contents can vary, you're still going to spend time doing It anyway. It's probably better to enchant your own gear anyway, and other gear is probably near just as good while the only comparable thing to the skeleton key is wasting loads of points on lockpick.

You learn them by finding enchanted kit and deconstructing it (destroys the item) at an arcane enchanter table. Doing this gives you the knowledge of that particular enchantment (e.g. soul trap), so you can enchant your own equipment with it (costs soul gems).

Your enchant level determines how powerful the enchantment is that you put on the item. So unless your skill is relatively high, destroying say a ring with an enchatment and enchanting another ring with the power you just learned will result in a weaker ring than the one you started with.

...will result in a weaker ring than the one you started with.

*Snigger*

I'll see myself out.

Can anyone explain to me why sneak levels so fast? Made a sneaking character today. Its now level 13, almost 14 with sneak being in the 60s. I do have the standing stone for the theif but really, this is crazy. It is my fault for leaving my character in a crouching spot while a bandit cheif failed to find me but still. Luckily I 1 shot most stuff and 2 shot like bandit chiefs, but animals...ugh so hard to sneak upon, with bears crippling me in two hits. Dread to think how quickly trolls with tear me a new one.

I've managed to magic my way past the bandits, but there's one standing right beside the guy that you have to confront. Does she just stand there forever, or can I wait for her to go away before I talk to him?