NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Or is it an 100+ hour game?

If you want it to be or are easily distracted. The main quests in Bethesda games tend to be pretty short overall, but it's the side content that gets people so hooked on their games.

It's not really the kind of game you rush through.

It's not too bad - my old house is my Gradma's house. She phoned to let me know it arrived, and said I may as well stay for tea. So free food.

Free food, and free holding. Bargain that. At least the game is with someone you know.

I'm not really that into western RPGs of this type, but reading a couple reviews this looks a bit interesting. Can I get much done before Zelda? Or is it an 100+ hour game?

I'm going by Oblivion here, which was over 100 hours. What i've heard about this, it's in the same direction length-wise if not longer. You'll need to pump every free hour into this if you want it done by Skyward Sword.

I'm not really that into western RPGs of this type, but reading a couple reviews this looks a bit interesting. Can I get much done before Zelda? Or is it an 100+ hour game?

You get out what you put in with Bethesda games. As others have said, you should be able to get through the main quest pretty quickly, however, people don't play Bethesda games for the main quest. Bethesda games are all about the side quests and exploring the world looking for new locations and treasures. The faction questlines (mages guild, dark brotherhood, etc.) are sometimes as good, and as long as the main quest itself. Most people who enjoy the game will play it for more than 100 hours, some more than 500 hours. But you don't have to play it that long to enjoy it, and it's an easy game to go back to after a while of not playing (just make yourself a note about what you were doing at the time). I'd say go for it, take a break from it when Zelda comes out, and then go back to it once you're done. You could also do a straight play through of the main questline and then start a new game and do the side quests after Zelda.

Wahey, good to see ShopTo deliver again. Just peering over the cloth map while the thing updates and installs. Surprised V2.0 already!

Amazing, Steam forces me to cancel installation from DVD, but it WILL allow me to pre-load the game, which means downloading the encrypted files from their servers, and then waiting like an hour for it to decrypt. Well I guess I shall enjoy the map too ¬_¬ And I will be staying up just to play this game before i sleep.

Shopto, brilliant. My copy is right in front of me as i speak. Installing it as well. Can't wait to get involved.

Seeing as most of you at least live in a timezone much closer to GMT than myself, has anyone been able to activate it yet? Is it possible to activate early through a VPN? Is this against the Steam EULA?

Played around four hours, enjoying it so far. I don't think Oblivion even lasted four hours before I decided it was unplayable. The map looks massive.

Had a few hours on it, been exploring for most of the time. Have a nice handful of side-quests unlocked atm, which i'm planning on doing tomorrow.

Still an hour to go before it unlocks in my timezone. Strange its set to unlock at 11 rather than midnight, but I'm not complaining.

This is my major reason for not getting it. I don't want to rush it and don't want to leave it half done so gonna leave it till the new year I think.

This is my major reason for not getting it. I don't want to rush it and don't want to leave it half done so gonna leave it till the new year I think.

My opinion, next to no one in there right mind would rush a game like this. There are too many "bread crumbs" lying about, that tease your curiosity forcing you to turn a 1 hour experiment into a 5 hour marathon, and that's when external factors remind you of there is a world beyond your screen.

That said, I can see myself playing this game till the next elder scrolls pops up just like i did with oblivion. So even if half done, there will always be a return to the game.

Well, I ended up buying the game today and going to play on it later today. When I get Skyward Sword it's going to collect dust for about a month or month and a half before I pick it up again, and we'll see how much I can remember then. Don't think it's going to be a problem though.

My opinion, next to no one in there right mind would rush a game like this. There are too many "bread crumbs" lying about, that tease your curiosity forcing you to turn a 1 hour experiment into a 5 hour marathon, and that's when external factors remind you of there is a world beyond your screen.

That said, I can see myself playing this game till the next elder scrolls pops up just like i did with oblivion. So even if half done, there will always be a return to the game.

I'm not saying I wanted to rush it...I've played both the fallouts and know what you mean. I just mean with Zelda looming large it would be an issue. Like I said end of January I think I will pick this up.

The real Skyrim starts here:

That is freaking awesome!

Ended up playing as a Altmer battle mage. I'm already loving the dual wielding, however, it would be nice to have access to hotkeys to swap spells quicker, although the favorites menu is a nice addition, its a little bit clumsy if you have a lot of stuff in it. Speaking of the favorites menu, the only bug I've encountered so far (that I noticed) was not being able to add anything to my favorites menu after changing the function of the F key. It would be nice to have some sort of key that allowed for blocking while dual wielding as well. I'm also liking the addition of sprinting. The game looks great even on high (ultra is just a little bit slow on my card for my liking).

So after finishing the tutorial I went on the quest to retrieve the golden claw from that dungeon (can't remember the name, bleak something). I've got to say, the dungeon design is much better than in Oblivion, and possibly Fallout 3/NV. The dungeon flowed quite smoothly had a large variety of different areas, and the puzzles were good enough to make you think, but not enough to slow you down that much (Took me a while to realize the password for that door was on the claw itself though). There's still no element of fear, something Bethesda has never really been good at, but otherwise, that dungeon at least was superb.

That said, spending time in dungeons seems like a bit of a waste in Bethesda games where the over world is so vast.

So far, the game seems like a natural evolution for the series. But I'm still at the point where I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything, so I suppose I'll find out for sure in my coming hours of gameplay.

No element with fear?

You're probably not playing in the dark with a good quality headset set to a rather high volume.

Then again, in relation to the dungeon that's probably true. Wolves jumping at you from behind without warning are rather scary. Although I love the attention to detail with the sounds - birds, insects, etc.

Oh, and Bethesda have done a really good job with the menus (inventory and all that) - they're very easy to navigate on a controller.

Happened to have just done that dungeon as well, thought it was great to do. I am heading up doing a few extra side-quests on the way to the next main mission.

Ended up playing as a Altmer battle mage. I'm already loving the dual wielding, however, it would be nice to have access to hotkeys to swap spells quicker, although the favorites menu is a nice addition, its a little bit clumsy if you have a lot of stuff in it. Speaking of the favorites menu, the only bug I've encountered so far (that I noticed) was not being able to add anything to my favorites menu after changing the function of the F key. It would be nice to have some sort of key that allowed for blocking while dual wielding as well.

*SNIP*

Found out there are hotkeys, at least for favourites. Just have that menu open and press 1, 2, etc. next to relevant weapon.

Love the interface compared to oblivions default and just how much smoother the transition is between menus and gameplay as you have to go into them alot, but it really was made for the consoles.

Also setting some functions like Ready stance [R] to mouse buttons is practically a no-no as you wont be able to use said button to drop items from inventory and the game wont update the interface to tell you what button corresponds to what.

Found out there are hotkeys, at least for favourites. Just have that menu open and press 1, 2, etc. next to relevant weapon.

Yea, figured that out during my second session. Makes things a lot easier.

I'm still finding the menus clumsy on the PC though, they really should have done something like Bad Company 2 where the different versions had different interfaces.

Those are the worst problems I've seen so far with the game though. Skyrim seems to be the most bug free product Bethesda has released in a long time and considering the amount of stuff that's been implemented since Oblivion and Fallout 3, that's a pretty big achievement.

I think I will trade BF3 in for this on Sunday, only £4.99 at Game and it looks really good :)