NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Listen, I just got back from the UK and I brought back my original copy of Morrowind GOTY Edition with me...

...hypothetical question:

If someone had bought a chipped Hong Kong 360 in China without a HDD, how would one go about getting that hypothetically illegally modified console to play his Favourite Game of All Time? considering also the potential fact that he has an Arcade console and no Live account.

Sadly, he couldn't bring back the original Xbox with him due to power issues and the disappearance of all the cables somewhere in his parents loft...

Oh yes, and I totally have a boner for Skyrim, just praying it's more Morrowind than Oblivion.

You're probably best asking in the general XBox thread.

That footage was awesome!

I'm still making sure that I don't buy it though.

Can't afford that much time going into non-uni work while on final year.

Done. Ladies and Gentle Ben, redirect your answers to this purely hypothetical question there.

These days, games like LA Noire allow you to enter a building minus a loading screen, so i don't see how things like this couldn't make it into a game, especially one like Skyrim.

You can't compare R* games with Bethesda games. I haven't played LA Noire yeat, but if it's anything like GTA4 and RDR then it doesn't track nearly as much stuff as Elder Scrolls. In TES, if you drop a sword (or any object in your inventory) somewhere at the begining of the game and come back to it after 100 hours it will still be there. The game tracks everything continuously. If an NPC is walking through the world, the game tracks his movement in the background continuously. So much so that sometimes some quest related NPCs would be killed by wild animals or something else in some other part of the world map than where you were at. You'd get a Quest Update Message in case this would happen.

In R* games try the following in GTA4 for example. Just walk down a street and notice the cars passing you by. Wait a few seconds and turn around and you might see totally different cars than the ones that just passed you 2 seconds ago. Same with people walking about, just turn a corner and then come back, the pedestrians will be totally different. The game is constantly randomly generating stuff on screen, it saves a lot of memory, contrary to what Bethesda do.

Todd Howard has said in interviews that probably in the next generation they will be able to have TES large cities as part of the whole world map, without having them walled in with a loading screen.

Todd Howard has said in interviews that probably in the next generation they will be able to have TES large cities as part of the whole world map, without having them walled in with a loading screen.

That was annoying: in Morrowind, you could levitate over trouble. But thanks to the cities being individually-loaded cells, it was impossible in Oblivion. but that doesn't adequately explain the absence of the Mark and Recall spells, which were so tremendously useful. Oh, your quest is at the ass-end of an impossibly long cave with three or four loading screen in between before you can get out and fast-travel back to the quest giver? Well, tough tits, mo-fo!

Gonna build a new PC before this comes out. Anyone have any idea when the new i9 chipsets are out? I know ATI has a new set of GPUs out in October, which should hopefully bring down the price of the 6970. This is gonna kick ass.

That was annoying: in Morrowind, you could levitate over trouble. But thanks to the cities being individually-loaded cells, it was impossible in Oblivion. but that doesn't adequately explain the absence of the Mark and Recall spells, which were so tremendously useful. Oh, your quest is at the ass-end of an impossibly long cave with three or four loading screen in between before you can get out and fast-travel back to the quest giver? Well, tough tits, mo-fo!

Hmm, I don't recall its name, but I could swear there is a teleporting spell in Oblivion.

The only magicka I use is destruction and healing spells anyway, I'm not a big magicka user.

Listen, I just got back from the UK and I brought back my original copy of Morrowind GOTY Edition with me...

...hypothetical question:

If someone had bought a chipped Hong Kong 360 in China without a HDD, how would one go about getting that hypothetically illegally modified console to play his Favourite Game of All Time? considering also the potential fact that he has an Arcade console and no Live account.

Sadly, he couldn't bring back the original Xbox with him due to power issues and the disappearance of all the cables somewhere in his parents loft...

Oh yes, and I totally have a boner for Skyrim, just praying it's more Morrowind than Oblivion.

Unless you're using an ancient computer, you'd be better off just buying the PC version the next time it goes on sale for <$5 on steam most likely.

Unless you're using an ancient computer, you'd be better off just buying the PC version the next time it goes on sale for <$5 on steam most likely.

I'm using a Mac, because I suck.

Morrowind is one of the few games that runs properly under wine actually.

Morrowind is one of the few games that runs properly under wine actually.

Wine being what? Other than a very fine drink to serve at dinner, enjoy with friends on the balcony or simply a glass or two with your favourite book.

Funny, earlier I re-watched Gametrailer's review of Oblivion and at some point they say "Oblivion pushes the 360 to its limits"... :laughing: Reviewers (and everyone in general) should refrain from using such statements during a console's baby years.

Wine being what? Other than a very fine drink to serve at dinner, enjoy with friends on the balcony or simply a glass or two with your favourite book.

Wine is a piece of software that allows you to run some Windows software in OS X or GNU/Linux.

http://www.winehq.org/

Although, unless you buy a copy of Crossover (~$40), it can be a pain to set up in OS X. The easiest way to do it (without Crossover) would be to install XCode (Can be downloaded from the App Store) and MacPorts (Alternatively you could use Fink if you're running a version of OS X older than Lion), and install Wine that way.

Wine is a piece of software that allows you to run some Windows software in OS X or GNU/Linux.

http://www.winehq.org/

Although, unless you buy a copy of Crossover (~$40), it can be a pain to set up in OS X. The easiest way to do it (without Crossover) would be to install XCode (Can be downloaded from the App Store) and MacPorts (Alternatively you could use Fink if you're running a version of OS X older than Lion), and install Wine that way.

I know you're writing in English, but I just don't understand you :(

Install Xcode through the app store

Install MacPorts (get their installer from their website)

Open a terminal window and type:

sudo port install wine

wait until it downloads and compiles

Install the windows version of steam using wine

wait for morrowind to go on sale on steam

buy it and install it using the windows version of steam

follow the guide on the wine website to get wine working with morrowind (you may not need to do anything, but its worth checking)

enjoy morrowind as it was meant to be played (or as close as possible)

Install Xcode through the app store

Install MacPorts (get their installer from their website)

Open a terminal window and type:

sudo port install wine

wait until it downloads and compiles

Install the windows version of steam using wine

wait for morrowind to go on sale on steam

buy it and install it using the windows version of steam

follow the guide on the wine website to get wine working with morrowind (you may not need to do anything, but its worth checking)

enjoy morrowind as it was meant to be played (or as close as possible)

...DOES ANYBODY SPEAK CANADIAN?

Naw, I kid! Thanks for the info!

(but srsly, if someone could translate or something...)

Bumpage!!!

Out on Friday. Who's getting prepped for this then. Had an issue with GAME and my order, to the point that i have swapped to Shopto to be able to get it.

My brother has pre-ordered this, despite disliking both Morrowind and Oblivion.

Always the optimist, I guess.

Hmm, I did like Morrowind a lot, and Oblivion was ok too, though still yet to finish it. Somehow the inclusion of quick travel in Oblivion killed the charm of the land...and no levitation, bullshit! So not sure about this then, I mean it's pretty much the same overall formula repeated...and set in an icy land. Less exotic when you're living in the snowy north yourself :(

Hmm, maybe I should check the spells first and see what kind of changes there have been...although, prob just buying Zelda if anything this month.

Loved Oblivon (fully completed it on PS3 and 360, oddly). But god damn, why is every game I want coming all at once? It's making it hard to feel really geared for every game.

Preordered this at ShopTo so most likely I'll have it on Friday. The thing I love about Elder Scrolls is the depth in the history of the world and the script. So easy to get lost in their games.

I want it I really do but I'm waiting for a goty edition, by then any major bugs should be patched and I'm not the biggest fan of the combat in Scrolls games I dont mind waiting.

Can't wait. Easily my most anticipated game of the year. Annoyingly I have another midterm on the 12th though.

I'm in the process of trying to get the main story of Arkham City complete by the time Friday comes around. I know this week has this title, next has Revelations and the week after Skyward Sword. I know my time will be spent mixing it between all 3, maybe 4 titles.

I can't watch anymore gameplay trailers, i'm itching to get my hands on this now.

Bumpage!!!

Out on Friday. Who's getting prepped for this then. Had an issue with GAME and my order, to the point that i have swapped to Shopto to be able to get it.

Looking forward to this majorly, just had a little check, my pc should be able to run it perfectly, going to hook up a controller if it really bugs me.

I'm slightly winging it by getting it on friday, I can't play it til monday. :shakehead