NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Coming 11.11.11 (see what they did there?), this was sorta out of the blue..

I'm sure it'll rip the current consoles open. Thoughts?

They've been hinting about it for quite a while now. I didn't expect to see anything official until E3 2011 though.

They're apparently still using the same engine unfortunately, although, its apparently been upgraded a lot specifically for Skyrim.

I've been waiting for this ever since Vegas hit the shops.

I did also expect a new engine.

Disappointed it's the Gamebryo engine.

My final year is fecked.

This and Uncharted 3...

I may have to avoid picking it up until mid-2012.

hmmm odd that they are still using Gamebryo as the company who created it is up for sale (i think) so thought that might have been the end of them using it for now with no future versions of it in the pipeline till its been sold etc...Unless they work on improving it themselves. I've always loved the Elder Scrolls games (I'm talking older ones though, never picked up this gen versions due to hearing about glitches more annoying than Fallout) so am glad its coming.

I thought Zenimax owned a large part of Gamebryo.

It's not like they don't upgrade it though. Technically Morrowind was also Gamebryo, it's just that they don't have any identifier for versions of the engine.

Sad that they are still using it though. I think it'd be cool if they used id Tech 5, of course they wouldn't be able to reuse assets that way.

I thought Zenimax owned a large part of Gamebryo.

It's not like they don't upgrade it though. Technically Morrowind was also Gamebryo, it's just that they don't have any identifier for versions of the engine.

Sad that they are still using it though. I think it'd be cool if they used id Tech 5, of course they wouldn't be able to reuse assets that way.

nope owned by some company called Emergent or something...Bethesda/Zenimax just license the engine as far as I know...

We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic.

From the community manager at Bethesda.

Holy shit!

Awesome!

It's weird to get excited about engines... but it's more that I'm happy it's not a particular engine.

Better animation all round!

Elder Scrolls IV was an excellent title, so i am expecting better with this new title. And, a new engine as well. Who would have thought it, perhaps more seamless movement this time around.

Well i'd better dig out Oblivion and complete it. Only the dark brotherhood and the main gates quest left to do. Unless i get shivering Isles.

gotta cure myself of Vampireism... but can not be fucked to do the lengthy quest, Will just download that pack for 150msp.

Well i'd better dig out Oblivion and complete it. Only the dark brotherhood and the main gates quest left to do. Unless i get shivering Isles.

gotta cure myself of Vampireism... but can not be fucked to do the lengthy quest, Will just download that pack for 150msp.

I'm planning on getting Shivering Isles, once i have also womped Oblivion into, well......... oblivion!!

FUUUUUUK YEAH!

Can't wait. Been after a new Elder Scrolls game since Oblivion, never really got in to Morrowind. Please give us some sort of co-op this time tho... Please!

If they had been using the old engine AGAIN I wouldn't have gone near this game even though Oblivion was fantastic. Hopefully the voices are better and the faces are less ugly.

Everytime I see the game title I keep reading it as Elder Scrolls VS Skyrim, in some sort of Lennon Lewis/Evander Holyfield, Jack/Sawyer, Corrie/Eastenders, bitter, seismic battle to the death.

Didn't like Oblivion partly because of the swords and dragons and all that silly ye-olde-world bullshit, and partly because the interaction was hampered by a fairly awful connection with the world of the game. The way your character walked, or rather, slid awkwardly over the terrain, and the way the combat felt like there was a definite lack of impact to your attacks... just didn't grab me. Fallout was kinda the same way, but it made up for some of its shortcomings because it was made more visceral just by way of the visuals and the impact of disintegrating some fools skull with a headshot.

Really hope this is in a new engine because I kinda want to get into it.

If they had been using the old engine AGAIN I wouldn't have gone near this game even though Oblivion was fantastic. Hopefully the voices are better and the faces are less ugly.

Yeah man, I didn't get why everyone in that engine had to be so ugly. Its like that engine is incapable of rendering anything other than a burn victim or a leper.

Edited by The Bard
Automerged Doublepost

Expect some decent Game Informer scans soon but in the meantime this at least seems worth sharing:

2cpx93t.jpg

That's right, characters actually look vaguely human!

Don't, it's not worth it. You can get Knights of the Nine, though, that one is cool.

I'm surprised people haven't posted the scans yet.

tyGdQ.jpg

TXVob.jpg

4M3Mr.jpg

Gfvmf.jpg

9lGZr.jpg

1294436166308.jpg

1294437115139.jpg

1294438061177.jpg

am5rV.jpg

Once the intro featuring the Dragon and Warrior were out the way (and the first glimpse of the town), I wasn't all that impessed by the visuals tbh. From the terrible looking river, onwards. Although I realise it's still in development.

Once the intro featuring the Dragon and Warrior were out the way (and the first glimpse of the town), I wasn't all that impessed by the visuals tbh. From the terrible looking river, onwards. Although I realise it's still in development.

If you play a Bethesda game for the graphics, you're doing it wrong.