NEurope
Aimless

Tomb Raider

Is it bad that I really enjoy taking enemies down with the bow? Or hitting them in the head with the pick axe? I feel like some horrible, brutal murderer, but I am enjoying it so much!

The game is very over the top by the way, but once you accept that and the millions of ways in which Lara can die, then it isn't too bad. =P

Nothing wrong with that this game personified the year of the bow!

Those weapons are put in there for pure satisfaction. Accompanied by those crunchy sound effects, the overly gratifying pull and release of a bow and the additional skill required to land a kill with a single arrow over a spray of bullets - it's all about feelgood factor. Just shows they've done it right.

That said, I would be concerned if you suggested field archery lessons and bought a pry axe off the back of this experience.

I'd find that last bit a turn on, tbh! :heh:

The weapons in this are just so satisfying. The sounds definitely have a big impact on that; everything just sounds so meaty and "deep", like there's weight behind it.

I fucking love it, basically. I can't think of a game where firing the bow has ever felt more satisfying.

I finally got round to starting this late last week. I loved the beginning! It was just action packed and dramatic. Infact it has been non-stop action ever since. I haven't progressed too far and just found a missing pilot from (what appears to be) a shot down plane.

I'm enjoying the story, the exploration and the combat. I'm also liking the fact that so far the optional tombs are accessable. I would try and platinum this but the thought of grinding on multiplayer turns me off so I won't bother.

I think i'm going to be gutted when I finish the game.

I finally got round to starting this late last week. I loved the beginning! It was just action packed and dramatic. Infact it has been non-stop action ever since. I haven't progressed too far and just found a missing pilot from (what appears to be) a shot down plane.

I'm enjoying the story, the exploration and the combat. I'm also liking the fact that so far the optional tombs are accessable. I would try and platinum this but the thought of grinding on multiplayer turns me off so I won't bother.

I think i'm going to be gutted when I finish the game.

It's a wonderful game, isn't it? One of my favourites on the PS4. First retail game I got for the system, too. :D

Did you download this? I think there was a deal on the PSstore recently.

It's a wonderful game, isn't it? One of my favourites on the PS4. First retail game I got for the system, too. :D

Did you download this? I think there was a deal on the PSstore recently.

Nope, I bought it when I got my PS4 last summer. I have just had a ton of games to get through.

It is great though. Such a shame that these experiences are missing from Nintendo consoles.

I love it how she dies. It is so over the top and makes me chuckle everytime. The deaths remind me when I was a kid playing the original Tomb Raiders on my brother's PS1 where I used to dive from the balcony in the mansion and break her neck hahaha!! :D

I love it how she dies. It is so over the top and makes me chuckle everytime. The deaths remind me when I was a kid playing the original Tomb Raiders on my brother's PS1 where I used to dive from the balcony in the mansion and break her neck hahaha!! :D

*Slowly backs out of the thread*

*Slowly backs out of the thread*

You didn't do that? That was literally the only good reason to use the swan dive.

crunch

£9.49 on PS Store? Bought.

Is that how much the PS4 version is? I have the ps3 version from plus, but I'd be tempted to get this one. Is the PS4 version improved things in anyway?

Is that how much the PS4 version is? I have the ps3 version from plus, but I'd be tempted to get this one. Is the PS4 version improved things in anyway?

Yeah PS4. I've no idea if it's any better, I downloaded it on my phone, not switched my PS4 on for gaming for a couple months.

I'll not play this anytime soon either, my 3DS is keeping me busy.

It's a lot prettier. I'd say the graphic improvements make it worth purchasing it again.

Does the definitive version have all the DLC from the previous versions? I ask because I can't find the silencer for the handgun, or is it something I can get later (sure I had it from the start on the 360 version, along with some other abilities).

You should have I think. I know I got the extra tomb and all the clothing from start up. As for the silencer, maybe it's not equiped by default and there's a button you have to press for it to appear? Try the d-pad.

I wish the "optional tombs" were longer rather than one puzzle and thats it. Although I do love the puzzles in this game. The solutions are always logical and I enjoy figuring them out.

Does the definitive version have all the DLC from the previous versions? I ask because I can't find the silencer for the handgun, or is it something I can get later (sure I had it from the start on the 360 version, along with some other abilities).

The silencer is an upgrade you get later on.

I think the game was better off without the focus on its namesake. I mean, the tombs were fun, and to a degree challenging, but it was always about the main journey.

Edited by Tales

I finished this last night and I really enjoyed every minute of it. I loved how action packed it was. I think too many games these days are not this but have large sections of stealth. Now, I do like a bit of stealth but it is a welcome change to play an action adventure game that wasn't focused on that.

If I was going to make up criticism it would be that the story and "boss" battles were a bit meh especuially the final one.

I also would have a good attempt at getting the platinum trophy if it wasn't for the shit multiplayer. I tried it. It's crap.

I finished this last night and I really enjoyed every minute of it. I loved how action packed it was. I think too many games these days are not this but have large sections of stealth. Now, I do like a bit of stealth but it is a welcome change to play an action adventure game that wasn't focused on that.

If I was going to make up criticism it would be that the story and "boss" battles were a bit meh especuially the final one.

I also would have a good attempt at getting the platinum trophy if it wasn't for the shit multiplayer. I tried it. It's crap.

I loved the final boss battle due to the....

Dual pistols. When she picked them up I was instantly transported back to the original games. Loved it.

:D

Glad to see you enjoyed it.

I didn't mind the multiplayer. I played quite a bit of it on the One. Some of the trophies/achievements had to be boosted though as certain playlists were empty.

I loved the final boss battle due to the....
Dual pistols. When she picked them up I was instantly transported back to the original games. Loved it.
:D

Glad to see you enjoyed it.

I didn't mind the multiplayer. I played quite a bit of it on the One. Some of the trophies/achievements had to be boosted though as certain playlists were empty.

I let out a squeeeee during that moment in the final battle. :D

I've never tried the multiplayer, maybe one day. I hope the follow up to this game is half as good as this was...should be awesome.

Glad you enjoyed it, Blade. :D

Yeah really enjoyed it and I would recommend everyone to play it.

Disappointed with the boss battles though. Nothing to them. I think coming from a Nintendo background I expect bosses have something about them like in Zelda or Metroid. I thought the The Last of Us was the same. I remember enjoying the game but found the final boss a proper let down.

Yeah really enjoyed it and I would recommend everyone to play it.

Disappointed with the boss battles though. Nothing to them. I think coming from a Nintendo background I expect bosses have something about them like in Zelda or Metroid. I thought the The Last of Us was the same. I remember enjoying the game but found the final boss a proper let down.

I'm the opposite and am relieved that they didn't include any/many bosses in this.

They were crap in Skyward Sword, but I can sorta see the point in Zelda games. You've got a dungeon, the boss guards the dungeon, defeat the boss to clear the area. In general, I find bosses formulaic, especially in Zelda. Hit the boss with new weapon acquired in dungeon til stunned/wounded, slash with sword, do this three times to kill it. It's not challenging, but I can see the spectacle of it, like the spinner boss in Twilight Princess, which was awesome.

I don't think they work in Tomb Raider or The Last of Us because the mechanics of the game aren't the same, especially in TLoU where the game is split into chapters and...isn't really about clearing an area, so to speak. I think they'd feel very out of place, especially with the real world settings that they're both aiming for. Tomb Raider could possibly get away with it if it's in a "go to this tomb, find the treasure, boss is guarding it, kill it to get treasure" kinda thing, but I'm glad with how it worked out.

There's something about boss fights to me that suddenly make you re-aware that you're within a game. For me, they can kill the experience a little, unless they're done really, really well. Mother Brain in Super Metroid, the Metroid Prime, Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time, etc.

I think boss fights tend to be less of a thing these days anyway. Certain games do still suit them but you see it less and less now.

I still like them though :D

The bloke at the end of Tomb Raider should have had some challenge to it rather than press a combination of bottons. A tad disappointing.