NEurope
Aimless

Tomb Raider

Yeah but you see, if they release the definitve version on PC, you can have it all! Improved models and higher FPS and resolutions! Win win!

Cost though...to be honest, I'd rather pay a fifth of a price and not bother with better models. :p

No reason why the definitive version couldn´t be on sale. In fact, Square Enix often has some good deals I believe, independent from Steam sales. Looking at their site, I see Hitman absolution for € 5,-.

Yeah but I'll be a while before a new game gets anywhere close to what the original sells for. I think the whole thing about it being definitive is more relative to the original PS3/360 versions. PC versions are often kinda definitive anyway.

Well obviously I agree that a PC version is usually better in most regards, but again, the PC can´t magically make up things that aren´t there.

To give a stupid comparison, let´s pretend the original Star Wars trilogy is released in it´s special edition form, on DVD. The blu-ray will only get the trilogy in its original form (I wish). For the sake of argument, let´s pretend the special edition is the superior version. Blu-ray is the better media, but you´re stuck with the old version.. The blu-ray can´t show improved special effects that aren´t there.

To give a closer analogy, let´s pretend Black Mesa gets a release on PS4 and Xbox 1, but not on PC. You´d still argue Half-Life is the definitive version?

Now the difference between Tomb Raider original and Tomb Raider definitve may not be as big as that last example, but there´s a difference nonetheless, and for someone who doesn´t own the game yet, that´s the version I´d like to get.

The comparison would be more like -

- Original video from 70s, looks dated (= PS3). £5-10

- Heavily improved version from noughties (=PC) £5-10

- Same heavily improved version with additional new character touch ups (= definitive), £30+

It's up to other people whether they think that number 3 is worth paying about 5 times more for, but I'd personally say it isn't.

The comparison would be more like -

- Original video from 70s, looks dated (= PS3). £5-10

- Heavily improved version from noughties (=PC) £5-10

See, but that´s where you´re wrong. The versions will be generally the same. If you´re lucky, it is heavily improved. Only the studios with an actual PC background will go to such lengths. Generally it will only be slightly improved (i.e. a hi-res texture pack) or simply optimised. In some cases, when it´s a bad port, it will actually look and/or play worse. It´s sheer horse power that makes the PC version superior, higher resolutions, better AA, greater draw distance etc.. Those are things that scale depending on your hardware.

It's up to other people whether they think that number 3 is worth paying about 5 times more for, but I'd personally say it isn't.

Well, I belong to the minority who doesn´t care for discounts. Luckily I´m also incredibly patient. If I can´t afford something right now, I´ll wait. That it happens to be discounted by the time I can afford it, is just a bonus. If I can afford something right now, I´ll happily pay full retail price for it.

The original game once had a full price as well (and in the case of Tomb Raider on Steam, still has actually).

How can you say 30 FPS on the consoles vs butter smooth PC frametate (and higher resolutions/AA) is practically the same? Most people would say these are big improvements. And do we even know the definitive version will hit PC? I've found no word of it.

I also checked out a video outlining the definitive version changes. Most of the video is them saying how they can overcome certain limitations of the PS3/360. It sounds like to me that these limitations shouldn't have been present in the PC version, so I'm guessing they probably weren't. It's a shame that the definitive version is still only 30 FPS though.

How can you say 30 FPS on the consoles vs butter smooth PC frametate (and higher resolutions/AA) is practically the same? Most people would say these are big improvements. And do we even know the definitive version will hit PC? I've found no word of it.

It´s not, but it´s dependent on your exact hardware. These are technical graphical improvements. These are not inherent to the files on your gamedisc. The models will be exactly the same. The same number of polygons. Your quantum computer is not going to change that. If you play cracked console games on your PC, you get the same technical improvements, but the game will otherwise look the same.

And I didn´t say they were going to release the definitive version on PC, that was exactly the problem, that they don't intend to. I was saying I wish they did, because that´s the version I´d want.

I know what they are, and I'm sure most PC gamers can run this game to look better than the PS3 version already. PS3 is old tech.

The point that you're overlooking is that the definitive edition, aside from some model touch ups, seems to have been developed to overcome some of the shortcomings of the console versions (which don't seem to have been present in the PC version). That's what I got from watching the video by the definitive version devs. Draw distance was one such thing.

For that reason, that may even be why there isn't a definitive PC version, simply because the PC version (aside from models) is pretty definitive anyway.

I´m looking at the details, it seems the tressfx feature was exclusive to the PC version up until the definitive version. That doesn´t makes me want the improvements from the definitive version any less though. Can´t a guy want it all? :P

I'm interested but no way paying full price. I think it's a joke when you look at the price of the PC version.

Just read that the PS4 version is 60fps and the Bone is 30fps. That's quite the difference.

The exec producer confirmed the PS4 fps during a stream, wouldn't say anything about the Bone. And then a gaffer who played both versions and put it up on his site said the PS4 version was definitely 60fps and the Bone wasn't. I don't have the link right now.

I want to want an Xbox One, but man they can not catch a break.

Although it looks as though the framerates are unlocked, which means fluctuations, which are frankly more annoying than a locked 30fps.

I want to want an Xbox One, but man they can not catch a break.

Although it looks as though the framerates are unlocked, which means fluctuations, which are frankly more annoying than a locked 30fps.

Its not often a FR on consoles is actually locked. Even the supposedly locked at 60fps COD games dip.

Now that my PS3 has died I probably will get this earlier than I had planned. It was my GOTY for last year and I was quite looking forward to going through it again.

Not sure if this thread is only for the latest version of Tomb Raider, but I downloaded the free one that you can get on Xbox Live because it had coop, and it is pretty good! It's rare these days to find a good local coop game, but this one had some good puzzles and game play.

This thread is just about the new one :p but yeah, Guardian of Light had awesome co-op, a fairly unique experience where you have to kind of figure things out quickly together.

I got my copy today for the PS4. Its looks really nice and its silky smooth so far.