NEurope
Aimless

Tomb Raider

I want to see this guy review the game. Is it actually possible to get out of the first room in this one?

Seems like this game was made by total sadists. "Hey, we've got this very attractive looking heroine, let's pierce, slash and beat her up every chance we get" o_O

Seems like this game was made by total sadists. "Hey, we've got this very attractive looking heroine, let's pierce, slash and beat her up every chance we get" o_O

All the other Tomb Raider games had instant deaths on them, with Lara getting spiked and falling to her death on numerous occasions. I think it's just that the graphics have now become very realistic so people are kicking up a fuss.

"Hey, we've got this very attractive looking heroine, let's pierce, slash and beat her up every chance we get"

*pre-orders*

I want to see this guy review the game. Is it actually possible to get out of the first room in this one?
This saddens me to watch. The jump he can't do is just a standing jump. Don't you think if a running jump is overshooting that the next logical step would be....

Funnily enough, it took me ages to figure out that you could do a standing jump when I played the first Tomb Raider.

Of course, I was thirteen years old at the time. :blank:

Also, there's a tutorial.

That seems to be the theme for a lot returning heroes over the last few years - Bond and Batman can't seem to get five minutes without someone or something knocking all the blood out of them any more.

haha brilliant! :D

I had the PC version of Tomb Raider 2... thankfully the textures were no where near that bad/busy... but that room was still as frustrating! :p especially as it's the first room in the game!

That guy almost had it right as well, he should of jumped back across to the area he looked across at @ 4:57 I think... the area above where he'd just come from. But I guess he thought he'd just come from that direction and you have to climb up the side he's now on, as I think I remember thinking at some point.

I stopped playing past the second or third level, of Venice.

Reviews seem positive, I definitely wanna take this for a spin.

Played an hour of this. Brilliant game so far, I didn't pay much attention to news (as I knew I would get it) so the hunting and upgrading is a good surprise, and I can't wait to explore the island. The cover system (not needing to press a button) is also great.

It runs very smoothly on my PC, and I've got everything on maximum (apart from AA and AF), and it looks amazing.

PyFXDZM.jpg

The screenshot doesn't really do it justice, as the plants are moving in the wind, the water is animated very nicely, there are effects in the air and Lara's hair looks amazing in motion.

Very much enjoying this game, although it absolutely has to be played without touching the Survival Instincts button. It's holding my hand through the process far too much as it is with waypoints and objectives and NPCs telling you exactly what to do all the time. Free ammo is laying everywhere, too.

First time you emerge from the cave at the beginning there's no hints or prompts and you just start walking along the cliff side. For a moment I thought "holy shit, no direction at all? Awesome!", that feeling lasted all of 10 seconds but could've made for a very different (and amazing) game.

Put that away though and it's a really great game. I'm not sure why it doesn't feel like Uncharted, it should, but it doesn't. The cover system is brilliant, its mostly automatic but very intuitive. The bow is a lot of fun to use, too. I'm playing it on 360 and whilst the visuals aren't anywhere near the level above, they are still stunning.

I think the lack of a sarcastic remark every 5 seconds makes a big difference.

I'm planning on trading a few titles in to get this, and once a £60 refund has come back. It's one of them games that looks like it has to be played at least once or twice.

My mates got it, he recommends i pick it up asap.

Not played it yet, but got the Survival Edition. Here's my unboxing:

I'm itching to play it!!! :grin:

I'm worried the main game is going to be a bit short. I've only had two short sessions and I'm apparently 35% of the way through and I'm at 5/10 of Lara's journals. Still enjoying it though, faced my first Tomb Raider-esque puzzle just as I was wondering if this iteration was going to have any. Some of the environments and set pieces are amazing, the sheer amount going off around you is very impressive.

Had a quick go on multiplayer, it seems a bit less polished than I was expecting but surprisingly provides a simplistic arcadey fun and seems, so far, to be nicely balanced. I got completely slaughtered on the beach map on free for all though, very difficult to keep track of who could be flanking you or suddenly spawning above you.

I hates those wolves. :P

If one bites you there's a QTE except I have no idea what button it wants me to press after mashing left and right so I always fail.

Doesn't help the game seems to given my controller a weird button mapping on my controller and I can't seem to change it. I can't look around when using the bow as it doesn't seem to recognise my second analogue stick so I have to use my controller and mouse at the same time. Probably more my cheap Xbox controller knock off's fault than the game.

Enjoying the game so far though, it looks great on my laptop. Runs smooth as well which I was surprised about, wasn't sure my laptop would be able to run it even though though it's about a year old.

I hates those wolves. :P

If one bites you there's a QTE except I have no idea what button it wants me to press after mashing left and right so I always fail.

Doesn't help the game seems to given my controller a weird button mapping on my controller and I can't seem to change it. I can't look around when using the bow as it doesn't seem to recognise my second analogue stick so I have to use my controller and mouse at the same time. Probably more my cheap Xbox controller knock off's fault than the game.

Enjoying the game so far though, it looks great on my laptop. Runs smooth as well which I was surprised about, wasn't sure my laptop would be able to run it even though though it's about a year old.

I am using an Xbox 360 controller with the PC version, and the QTE button is always a Y after the stick waggling. O_o

Ooh, OK your supposed to wait until the circles line up. Duuuh. </stupid>

Just my dual analogue stick problem to sort now, was bit of a problem today, might just buy a Xbox controller.

There's one game I never even considered this would remind me of, yet it does: Metroid Prime. Not only that, but the aspects of Metroid Prime it reminds me of are actually (now this part may come of a shock)...done better.

First of all is the exploration. Initially, it feels a lot like the set-piece heavy Uncharted. Then comes a point where you suddenly realise that you're in a location you've actually visited before, just at a different angle (whereas in MP it's pretty obvious due to the doors). You can see where you were before and some events can change these locations since you first visited - different weather can make it look different, too.

Here's where the nest aspect comes in: the sense of improvement. In Metroid Prime it's quite predictable. You fight a boss, you get the item and it's pretty in-your-face about what the item is for. You get better but you're actively seeking these improvements. In Tomb Raider, you're following the story and pick up items and you don't realise how useful they are until you actually use them. When you get to the area you've visited before (but from a different "entrance"), not only can you head back to where you were before, but you can easily backtrack to this new "entrance" - which is usually somewhere you didn't even consider was reachable.

Which ties in to the third aspect: "Wait, that thing I saw earlier...I can interact with it". Once again, Metroid Prime is pretty obvious about this, often telling you what you need. In Tomb Raider, they initially just look like part of the scenery, it's only when you use the item that you start to think about what you've previously seen.

1. Rope. First it's like "You got rope" and you think "well...it's just rope", then it tells you to "point over there with your bow and use the secondary fire" (not like that - it somehow makes it obvious what to do without having to explain). Then based on what you fire the rope arrow at, you notice similar things around you and think to yourself "wait, I can use it there....and there....and there" and then you realise that you've seen this texture everywhere. It has a couple of uses, but it's obvious because of this "texture" (which, before you use the item, just looks like scenery).

2. Shotgun. You pick it up and you think "cool new weapon" but there's some wood blocking your path. So you shoot it with the shotgun. A pretty simple use, yet you soon realise just how many of these "blocks" there are - and that you've seen a load before. Somehow (once you've shot a few) it's quite obvious, even at a distance, which ones you shoot and which ones you can't (so you don't shoot parts which aren't "doorways") yet they still look like a natural part of the environment.

I came into this game expecting a enjoyable, simple, cheesy, linear, cheap copy of Uncharted (yes, I know Tomb Raider was before, but it was completely different). I've never played a game that has exceeded my expectations so much.

I'm loving this game but nothing it does is better than Metroid Prime.

Also that trait is pretty standard amongst adventure games where you can retrace your steps. Any Metroid game has this actually (oh it's too hot in here? Guess I can't go here yet then. Aha, heat resistant suit!), as well as both Arkham games, Castlevania games, Shadow Complex etc etc.

No i totally agree with Cube, things are more subtle than "its too hot here at the moment" examples. Things do just blend in and you have no idea they will be useful in future when you have a new item/upgrade. It is a nice touch.

I only just started playing last night though for a few hours. Am quite impressed so far. The QTEs were a bit annoying for me as well for some reason, couldnt work out what i was doing wrong (its just pressing a button for god's sake!) but i got there in the end. Love the automatic cover. My heart was racing when i was hiding from guards for the first time. Goes without saying too that Lara looks amazing, as does the island, and i'm getting quite into the story. I really want to know what the feck is going on there!

Well it was difficult to be subtle on the NES :heh: but Arkham literally has the same types of walls which you can just about tell are breakable, and highlight under detective mode. I think the subtlety just comes with the improved visuals. I certainly noticed the ropes and the breakable walls. In the area where you find Roth there's a house with two identical looking breakable walls on the second floor, outside is a hanging rope and there is no way to reach it except to get through that wall.

I probably just take too cynical an approach instead of getting absorbed in the game... my loss!

Edited by Shorty

It probably helped that I had totally forgotten that this was an "open world" game.