NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Rode to the next village this morning to go to the co-op and forgot to bring my mask 😭

Applied for a passport two months ago and it’s still being processed with no idea when it will actually complete. Need it to sort out some ongoing visa issues so it’s really causing me a hassle right now.

Anyone else as devastated as I am that Argos will no longer be releasing the Argos catalogue? How am I supposed to figure out what toys I want for Christmas now??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone else as devastated as I am that Argos will no longer be releasing the Argos catalogue? How am I supposed to figure out what toys I want for Christmas now??? 

I just tried folding over the corner of my laptop screen when viewing all of the purchases that I wanted online. 

I now need a new laptop screen but can't fold the corner of the screen to show which screen that I want. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Happenstance said:

all the 80s kids are devastated!!! I'm glad for the environment but its definitely the end of a big chapter for a lot of people!

• Like 1

My wife is pregnant. Now, why am I posting this here?

Some might recall that three years ago, I got a son with a disease that he got from me, without me knowing about my having it. It's called Hirschsprung's disorder and affects the colon, making it unable to pass through shit to speak bluntly. He was operated thrice and is now a happy toddler, three years old and doing very well. He will live a life with a bit more visits to the loo than a usual human but we're speaking 5-6 times a day if today's standard is something to go by. 

However, I didn't wish for this kind of situation for another child, so my wife and I went through genetic diagnostics to find the genes responsible for the disease. It went well - albeit a bit slow - and in May, my wife was declared pregnant. We were offered a genetic screening of the fetus to check that the gene was not there and we accepted that. The day after, we got went for a scan (in Denmark, pregnant women are offered a scan of the fetus at week 12 and again at week 20 to check that everything is alright) and here we were told that there was a relatively high risk of Down syndrome - 1:163. So they would check for that as well with the sample they got from the screening the day before.

As it turns out, the fetus does not have Down syndrome. However, it has an X chromosome too much. That's not good. If it's a girl it is called Triple X and for boys it's called Klinefelter syndrome. It's worse for boys, making them infertile or completely sterile, giving them boobs, and generally feminine looks because of a lack of testosterone - and lower than average IQ. For girls, it's better but they may also have a lower than average IQ and some other, less clear problems.

On paper, it doesn't sound that bad but well, reading up on it it's really not without problems and it's just... frustrating. Here we are, trying to rid the world of one disease only to get another? Why can't we just like.. have a normal pregnancy without all those worries? We got worried with out son because he lacks one of his kidneys which we found out during the pregnancy. This time, we just wanted everything to be OK but no... 

Now, we need to wait for another analysis - there is the possibility that the genetic samples have been contaninated with some of my wife's tissue (https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/35479) and thus, nothing to worry about, the baby is fine. But I just don't believe in it as it's just the less likely scenario, I've been hit so many times and have been trying to be optimistic about all of this. If I weren't an atheist, I would have sworn that we were being bullied by some higher powers.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

My wife is pregnant. Now, why am I posting this here?

Some might recall that three years ago, I got a son with a disease that he got from me, without me knowing about my having it. It's called Hirschsprung's disorder and affects the colon, making it unable to pass through shit to speak bluntly. He was operated thrice and is now a happy toddler, three years old and doing very well. He will live a life with a bit more visits to the loo than a usual human but we're speaking 5-6 times a day if today's standard is something to go by. 

However, I didn't wish for this kind of situation for another child, so my wife and I went through genetic diagnostics to find the genes responsible for the disease. It went well - albeit a bit slow - and in May, my wife was declared pregnant. We were offered a genetic screening of the fetus to check that the gene was not there and we accepted that. The day after, we got went for a scan (in Denmark, pregnant women are offered a scan of the fetus at week 12 and again at week 20 to check that everything is alright) and here we were told that there was a relatively high risk of Down syndrome - 1:163. So they would check for that as well with the sample they got from the screening the day before.

As it turns out, the fetus does not have Down syndrome. However, it has an X chromosome too much. That's not good. If it's a girl it is called Triple X and for boys it's called Klinefelter syndrome. It's worse for boys, making them infertile or completely sterile, giving them boobs, and generally feminine looks because of a lack of testosterone - and lower than average IQ. For girls, it's better but they may also have a lower than average IQ and some other, less clear problems.

On paper, it doesn't sound that bad but well, reading up on it it's really not without problems and it's just... frustrating. Here we are, trying to rid the world of one disease only to get another? Why can't we just like.. have a normal pregnancy without all those worries? We got worried with out son because he lacks one of his kidneys which we found out during the pregnancy. This time, we just wanted everything to be OK but no... 

Now, we need to wait for another analysis - there is the possibility that the genetic samples have been contaninated with some of my wife's tissue (https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/35479) and thus, nothing to worry about, the baby is fine. But I just don't believe in it as it's just the less likely scenario, I've been hit so many times and have been trying to be optimistic about all of this. If I weren't an atheist, I would have sworn that we were being bullied by some higher powers.

Gosh that is really heavy stuff dude. Crossing my fingers for you that it isn't too serious.

I don't know if this helps - but as someone with a LOT of chronic illnesses its often much harder for your loved ones to deal with than for the "sufferer" themselves.  We have our moments of why me, but generally you do just get on with it as best you can.  And you never forget what your parents went through for you <3  Keep us updated and i really really hope for the best possible outcome for you and your wife! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a tough situation, @MindFreak. Sorry to hear about those struggles and the stress that comes with it. Good luck with the next batch of tests and hopefully it goes in your favour, or at least becomes a bit easier.

We're all here for you and are rooting for you, your wife and family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really sorry to hear that @MindFreak, can't imagine the toll that news might have after everything you've already gone through until now. In a weird way, I'm glad you were willing to share that with us, if only so that you know that we're here if you ever need to talk or just vent that frustration. 

Hoping for all the best for you and your family, and fingers crossed things only look up from here. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Wishing you all the best @MindFreak, that's a tough set of circumstances, I really hope that yourself, your wife and family will be alright.

It can't be easy, but as others have already said, if you need us to talk to, then we're here.

• Thanks 1

So sorry to hear that, @MindFreak. Hopefully the tests come back with more favorable results and you can move on from this. As everyone else has said, you have our support whenever you need it.

• Thanks 2

For the third time this year, my girlfriend has had to say goodbye to one of her dogs (they live at her mum's house but that doesn't make it hurt less). 

The first two were upsetting, but this third one is the hardest to me.

KRLkqII.jpg

Ben was a terrifying dog when I met him. He's extremely distrusting of people, so the first time I saw him he was behind a child gate, he barked like mad every time I can over.

Eventually, he started to trust me, he would put his head near me and let me pay his head. Eventually he liked me enough to sit on me and that was an amazing moment. He would then be really excited and rush to me whenever I visited.

He will be missed.

• Sad 7

Can't wait for autumn and winter to arrive.

This heat is not for me.

• Like 3

I always feel bad wishing my summer away but god this is horrible and I wish summer would fuck off and die!

• Haha 1

With all the heat complaints, you guys ever consider a portable air con device? We got one about 8 years ago when we used to live in a flat that would roast you alive in the summer. It's honestly one of the best purchases we have ever made. We live in a house now but it still works wonders during hot weather like this, it basically renders whichever room it's in completely comfortable.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

With all the heat complaints, you guys ever consider a portable air con device? We got one about 8 years ago when we used to live in a flat that would roast you alive in the summer. It's honestly one of the best purchases we have ever made. We live in a house now but it still works wonders during hot weather like this, it basically renders whichever room it's in completely comfortable.

@Dcubed has one. Miracle machine, that.

• Thanks 1

One of the great things about living in a place with this kind of horrible weather year-round is that we have heavy-duty aircon built into every room. It really is a joy to be able to sit in whatever temperature you like while the sun and humidity boil away outside.

12 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Yeah I think about it near the end of most summers and then think how I might get one at the start of the next one then never do it. Don’t worry though, I have a £15 hand fan coming today with a misting feature so I’m all sorted 😆

One of the main reasons I’m probably hating it more this year though is because I’m furloughed. If I was at work then I’d have proper air con going all day because I have the server in my office.

Edited by Happenstance

13 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I keep umming and ahhing about one, my main complaint is that we'd need to use it upstairs, which has three rooms, plus we have issues with putting the vent outside (and sealing the window).

Too many cons, but considering the weather this year, its likely to happen next year if I can get one on offer when they are less likely to be sold. 

We just bought a big-ass fan a few years ago, which serves all our needs. It's enormous, but it cools down the room pretty quickly. Also, the white noise it creates basically bludgeons you into a really deep sleep.

18 hours ago, nightwolf said:

I keep umming and ahhing about one, my main complaint is that we'd need to use it upstairs, which has three rooms, plus we have issues with putting the vent outside (and sealing the window).

Too many cons, but considering the weather this year, its likely to happen next year if I can get one on offer when they are less likely to be sold. 

If it helps, we don't fully seal off our window (just feed the nozzle out) and still get great cooling. We also often leave the door to the kitchen slightly open so the cat can get in and out. I'm sure sealing absolutely helps drop the temperature a little more but it's definitely not necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

If it helps, we don't fully seal off our window (just feed the nozzle out) and still get great cooling. We also often leave the door to the kitchen slightly open so the cat can get in and out. I'm sure sealing absolutely helps drop the temperature a little more but it's definitely not necessary.

That does help. Does it just do one room? What's the BTU of yours? Got a link to somewhere we could buy your model?

37 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

That does help. Does it just do one room? What's the BTU of yours? Got a link to somewhere we could buy your model?

Mine is a 9,000 BTU Amcor model, which is pretty old now since I got it about 8 years ago (so doubt the same one is being sold now). Amcor seem to be a pretty good brand from what I can gather, and I've never had any problems with it. We mostly use it to cool our living room, which is sort of a medium size. If you've got a large-ish room you'll probably want a 12,000 BTU. Generally speaking I'd say mine does one room but it does lower the temperature of the next room a little if I leave the door open. I imagine a 12,000 BTU will do more. They are portable though so you can use them to cool down multiple rooms before bed, which is very handy.

I'm guessing the prices might have gone up since we're currently in a heat wave, but generally speaking if you can find a 9,000 BTU for £200-250 or a 12,000 BTU for around £300 then you're looking at a very good deal. 

For instance, I think this a great price for a 12,000 BTU Amcor, but unfortunately it has just gone out of stock.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I left a fan on my Amazon wish list which was around £50. I already own it but it’s really quiet so I wanted a second one but as I only paid £29.99 I decided to wait for it to go back down in price. Checked today and it’s now £193.99. That’s from Amazon themselves as well, not a seller.

Given we're nearly through the heatwave its unlikely I'll buy one now, but its definitely swayed me to get one nearer winter. With endometriosis I get warm all the damn time and a fan gives me a headache. So this will be a good alternative.