NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

I'm assuming you don't mean the nuclear fusion laboratory, the Joint European Torus?

You would assume wrong.

Nah, it's the JET Programme as a teaching assistant in Japan. It's possibly the first thing I've applied to with some degree of confidence. The confidence was kind of artificially there, but it had helped with my self esteem issues trying to enforce the idea that I'm a good candidate for such a job to myself. Now I feel like I've put myself in a disastrous situation that will only lower my own self confidence.

And my dad won't be having the replacement from them! Off to Curry's we go! Please don't tell me anyone has a Curry's horror story... :blank: haha.

Yeah actually, Curry's fucked up my order once. I ordered a Desktop PC tower only, and when I went to pick it up, they got it from out back and I was thinking "Jesus, that's a fucking big box".

Gave me the one with the monitor in.

I'm dishonest, so graciously accepted it. :)

Yeah actually, Curry's fucked up my order once. I ordered a Desktop PC tower only, and when I went to pick it up, they got it from out back and I was thinking "Jesus, that's a fucking big box".

Gave me the one with the monitor in.

I'm dishonest, so graciously accepted it. :)

That's the kind of incompetence I like. :heh:

You would assume wrong.

Nah, it's the JET Programme as a teaching assistant in Japan. It's possibly the first thing I've applied to with some degree of confidence. The confidence was kind of artificially there, but it had helped with my self esteem issues trying to enforce the idea that I'm a good candidate for such a job to myself. Now I feel like I've put myself in a disastrous situation that will only lower my own self confidence.

You'll get one bro. I'm certain.

Checking twitter and finding out there are a couple of people that have had JET interview invitations in the post the last couple of days has had a pretty shitty impact on me. I'm going to be devastated if I don't even get that far despite all that I can offer and my distinction in the language.

I need a beer to chill me out and stop me from worrying.

They do it in stages, they don't all go out at once.

Get that beer down you.

They do it in stages, they don't all go out at once.

Get that beer down you.

I did, it felt damn good. The worst part about this job is, if you turn it down, you're disqualified from applying again in the future so I feel like I'm trapped in putting all of my eggs in one basket until a response arrives.

I accidentally replied to a facebook post by a new-vegan and now I'm involved in a massive stupid argument about meat being cancer and how I'd steal a handbag from a dead woman at a bus stop because I eat bacon. Eating meat is as bad as genocide and killing a pig is just as bad as killing your own mother.

I accidentally replied to a facebook post by a new-vegan and now I'm involved in a massive stupid argument about meat being cancer and how I'd steal a handbag from a dead woman at a bus stop because I eat bacon. Eating meat is as bad as genocide and killing a pig is just as bad as killing your own mother.

Mmmm bacon...

Just reply to them saying that you haven't got any beef with the person, that ought to calm things down. : peace:

Ohgod. It's just devolved into a ridiculous string of nonsense. Of course I think I'm winning. A vegetarian friend said that I was winning too, which means it's true, right?

One of my dad's cats died after a full happy life yesterday, a lovely intelligent little black cat called Louie. I was there when they adopted him as a teeny tiny kitten with his life-long BFF Rollie, so now I am sad. :(

One of my dad's cats died after a full happy life yesterday, a lovely intelligent little black cat called Louie. I was there when they adopted him as a teeny tiny kitten with his life-long BFF Rollie, so now I am sad. :(

Cats are people too, it still amazes me how some of our fellow human beings fail to see that. I'm sorry for the loss, there will be a little fuzzy hole in that home for a while, but remember the playing and the cuddles.

I'm sorry for your loss @gaggle64 :( it's always hard losing a beloved pet, they become a huge part of your life - and your family - over the years so it's never easy when one of them passes; try to remember the surely excellent life that Louie must have had though and be proud of that. : peace:

Many cats that end up in rescue centres don't often get that chance - through no real fault of their own or sometimes their owners - so at least you could look on it as being fortunate enough to have such a wonderful being in your life, many people take it for granted. *man-hug* :smile:

Trying to get rid of the old DVD's and thought I'd check out the old Music Magpie and CEX site. Bloody hell, I knew places like Music Magpie were a bit of a rip off, but offering 30p each for every DVD I have is fucking stupid. I'm half tempted to just give them to a charity shop out of spite.

At least CEX seem to offer an alright price for box sets, can get about £4-5 on trade in shizzle.

Argh... I had forgotten all about my student loan. You're supposed to tell them when you go and work overseas, but stupidly I didn't bother.

That said, I've been earning less than the threshold for the majority of the time here, so that's fine. But now I earn a decent wage, which is a first in ten years since graduation.

Anyhow, they're asking for an update on my details, which is fine and I owe them the money and do want to repay. However, I've no desire to get screwed over for money by these people. I think the best thing to do is tell them I'm unemployed now, then work out how much I need to pay back, then do so voluntarily to reduce the damage - but not be held to a certain amount monthly as this could result in serious financial problems.

I know - my fault. I just booked a trip for Mrs Iun to Vegas for her 40th, and I just have enough to pay for that and maybe 1k back to these people without cutting the gound out from underneath me.

Advice?

Edited by Iun

I know - my fault. I just booked a trip for Mrs Iun to Vegas for her 40th

Aw, I thought we'd all convinced you to leave her. She didn't seem the type of woman who deserved to be bough a holiday.:heh:

Aw, I thought we'd all convinced you to leave her. She didn't seem the type of woman who deserved to be bough a holiday.:heh:

RylbEHD.jpg

Can you not just tell the truth? The amount you play isn't really that much? Or is it different for international ones?

My step dad has cancer. He's got an emergency operation on his throat Monday to remove a huge portion of it but the doctor says its in his shoulder and ear as well. Gotta wait for the biopsy though to see what happens after the operation. My mom is in pieces. Its going to be a tough few weeks.

Obligatory, FUCK CANCER.

I'm sorry to hear that bryanee. :(

I hope the operation goes well and that your step dad makes a recovery.

There are days when you are not wrong. Not wrong at all. Thing is we now work together in the same school.

RylbEHD.jpg

No, he's right. There comes a time every now and then when I wonder... Still, must make the best of a bad situation.

I called the people last night, so I'm now officially back on their radar. The amount I owe is less than 5500GBP, and I *could* actually clear that right now. I'm choosing not to because that will leave me with no safety net. I'm going to tell them that I'm unemployed for now, then that I am going self-employed in twelve months time. In July I will re-examine my finances, likely pay off 2k to keep the interest from going nuts, and then pay off the remainder in the following July.

My step dad has cancer. He's got an emergency operation on his throat Monday to remove a huge portion of it but the doctor says its in his shoulder and ear as well. Gotta wait for the biopsy though to see what happens after the operation. My mom is in pieces. Its going to be a tough few weeks.

Obligatory, FUCK CANCER.

My goodness, that's awful @bryanee. I hope he pulls through.

Can you not just tell the truth? The amount you play isn't really that much? Or is it different for international ones?

The repayment threshold for overseas residents in China is 6k lower than in the UK. So earning over 16k in the UK means you start paying back. Earning 10k in China means you pay back. Yes, cost of living is theoretically cheaper, but living in Shanghai AND having a mortgage bumps everything up considerably.

So "Oh, we've estimated that you only need 10k to live on in China" is pretty damned arbitrary.

Talking of student loans. If my previous employer don't send me my payslips (I know I should've kept a copy of them, I only ever got them digitally) I'll have to pay £600 to students loan via my tax return on 31st January.

They said they'd send them last Friday, then this Friday and they still haven't shown up...

Had an accident at the Gym yesterday. Long story short, I've torn a load of muscles in my lower back..I'm in so much pain it's unreal. I can't believe how pathetic an injury can make you feel..I couldn't get out of bed this morning and so my girlfriend had to spend about 20 minutes trying to help me up whilst I was screaming in pain. She's pretty much had to dress and feed me all day (took the day off work too) and when I went to A&E she was literally carrying me. Jeez.

The only good thing about this whole ordeal is that I can get through Metroid Prime for the first time ever, but the painkillers are so strong and I can barely keep my eyes open. Bugger.

Toothache returned yesterday. I was in constant pain last night and maybe got about an hours sleep overall. Booked an emergency appointment for today so hopefully they'll at least help with the pain and get some antibiotics for what I assume is also an infection then I think in a week or so when thats gone im just gonna have the tooth taken out. Really should have had that done to begin with but by the time I went in for my follow up it was feeling fine and stupidly just left it.