NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

The year 2014.

2014 was really fucking bad for me!

2014 was a bit crap for me. Not in a "lots of shit happened, it was really devastating" kind of way. More of a "nothing great happened, lots of minor disappointments".

@Cube -- medication and therapy. Those are my recommendations. You've got the meds bit sorted but if you are tangled in a knot of brain-worry and uncontrollable thoughts that are keeping you from just being from day to day then I really do suggest therapy.

Problem is you'll need to see your doctor and really stress with them that you want some therapy. Non-NHS, it can be costly. But I believe everyone should have therapy! You deserve the peace of mind.

2014 was a bit crap for me. Not in a "lots of shit happened, it was really devastating" kind of way. More of a "nothing great happened, lots of minor disappointments".

Mine were of the devastating variety. Glad its over.

Fingers crossed for a better one for us this year eh? Haha

@MoogleViper @jayseven thanks for the kind words and advice. I think a lot of the confusion right now is due to the tablets as they to make things worse for the first 1-2 weeks. I spoke to my sister about it last night and felt better because of it.

I'm still coping with work and stuff, and I'm not quite keen on therapy. It was offered to me, so if things do get worse, I'll have no problems getting it.

I hope you adjust to the pills / the pills adjust to you rapidly.

I think a lot of people see therapy as some kind of failure or admittance of weakness -- therapy is beautiful. It's basically just talking, with someone who will be objective and blunt but ultimately just out to help you help yourself -- and there's no hidden agenda on their part. They take your money to make you feel better.

In any instance, best wishes moving forwards mate.

I think a lot of people see therapy as some kind of failure or admittance of weakness -- therapy is beautiful. It's basically just talking, with someone who will be objective and blunt but ultimately just out to help you help yourself -- and there's no hidden agenda on their part. They take your money to make you feel better.

God, that sounds wonderful. And it also sounds horrifically, radically and terrifyingly different to every therapy experience I have ever had. Which has been me talking and the "therapist" sitting in the corner going "Oh dear!" "What a shame!" and other useless noises.

My "Psychiatrist" was just reading a list of questions from a sheet, and charging my insurance 250 quid an hour - more like 30 minutes.

Well that puts me off going to see one...

More car trouble, looks like my wheel bearing has gone. Something that potentially Halfords should have picked up when I put it in recently. Sigh.

So my car got taken away on a truck, bye car, sorry again.

Well that puts me off going to see one...

More car trouble, looks like my wheel bearing has gone. Something that potentially Halfords should have picked up when I put it in recently. Sigh.

So my car got taken away on a truck, bye car, sorry again.

Don't let my unsatisfying experiences put you off, so long as it's free on the NHS, give it a go.

Sorry to hear about the car troubles.

Thanks - I've always heard mixed things, I'm by no means in dire need of someone to speak to these days. But it could have been harmful or helpful a few years ago.

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab S for my dad from Very as I have an account with them.

He'd been after a tablet and didn't want an iPad and wanted a decent screen for his photos he takes as a bit of a hobby.

Anyway it arrived tonight and the minute it came out of the box I noticed a dent on the bottom of the tablet. Took some pics.

20150113_210805_zps7rigln9b.jpg

20150113_210918_zpsahsg7f9o.jpg

20150113_210901_zpsoscu31k3.jpg

20150113_210805_zps7rigln9b.jpg

20150113_211001_zpsag2h0ndi.jpg

The pictures don't really do it full justice as it looks pretty bad and worse than it seems.

The metal is raised above the screen and you could quite easily catch yourself on it (it's not very sharp tbh) and it looks quite unsightly. The worst thing though, is that there is a gab between the glass and the metal virtually all the way along. It just seems to close in as it reaches the right side of the tablet.

Added to that, the charging cable is slightly bent to the side when it's plugged in due to the mis-shaped metal bit.

So. As it's my account with Very and I ordered it, I rang them straight away. As I was on hold waiting to speak to someone I powered it on to check if there was screen damage or anything. There wasn't.

Got through to a lady, advised her of the problem and she said she'd send me through to the tech team.

I've done this before as I ordered my Z3 Compact with them and it developed a fault and had to be returned which they organised for the next day and I got a new one.

So some lad comes on the phone, mumbling away so I couldn't really hear him properly. I told him the problem, explained it looked like a manufacturing fault and that the metal looked like it had been bashed in slightly. He cut me short and just said 'has it been turned on'. So I just said, yeah I turned it on to see if there was any other damage so I could tell you the extent of it for the returns report. To which he just flat out said - can't do anything for you. You've turned it on, it's voided the return so there's nothing we can do. That's our policy.

At this point, I was just fuming. I just said that the only reason it was turned on was to check that the item wasn't further damaged from the obvious defect that's currently on it. I said it hadn't been set up just powered on to check. He again just said it's their policy, kept trying to talk over me which really wound me up so I just said you're not being very helpful and I couldn't give a shit about the policy as surely this wasn't a normal case. As I swore (which was completely childish and ridiculous and I know that now but I was angry :heh: ) he said if I carried on swearing he'd terminate the call. Fair enough so I didn't swear again and just told him he'd need to pass me through to someone who could help me to which he hung up.

At this point, that was it.

Back on the phone again. Through the computerised 'give me your account number' 'what can I help you with' 'Is that right? Just say yes or no' woman etc. Finally through, explained the situation again and told the lady that I was massively unhappy about being hung up on although I did say I was wrong to get angry but it was the fact he just would not listen or sympathise in any way and then hung up when I asked to speak to someone else.

She noted it all, went away, came back and said I had 2 options. One was the number for the Samsung repair team for them to sort out. Another was a 20% discount being credited back to my account as it was dented.

I explained that I just wanted a return for the damaged item that was sent to me and she said she'd spoken with her supervisor and that was all that was up for grabs. I said that the custome service is ridiculous. I'd understand if I'd had the item a while and a fault occured so I'd have to get in touch with Samsung, but when a brand new item over £300 is sent to me and out of the box it looks like that and I'm told because i've switched it on I can't return it? Not good enough.

i explained I had a phone off them a few weeks back that developed a fault within the week of having it, and the team organised a return for the next day. And that had been used for a week let along just turned on! She just said she understood my frustration.

So here I am now, with a device that is dented. it's perfectly useable yeah, but I don't think I should have to settle for a damaged item and have no option to return it to where I bought it from because I've pressed a button to power it on? Surely, the minute you cut the box seal is the minute it's non-returnable - not the minute you press the on button? Apparently not.

Sorry to rant, but I kinda had to get it down! You might think I'm overreacting but I don't think it's fair when my dad is paying all that money and it arrives like that? Samsung might turn round and say I've done it as I have zero ways of proving otherwise. Then what? :wtf:

Really sucks tbh.

I'm pretty sure that Very are breaking the law by refusing the return.

That's really bad @Aneres11 but I believe that you're well within your rights to expect a full refund or replacement, whatever 'policy' that Very have doesn't sound very convincing to me at all.

If it was me then I'd be in contact with the immediately, demand to speak to a manager if they refuse to comply - swearing is tempting but it's not the best way, it happens though - and start with using the phrase 'this product is not of merchantable quality' as that often seems to do the trick. : peace:

Maybe it would have been OK if it had been a very slight scratch to the casing, but that looks like a proper manufacturing defect which shouldn't have left the quality control department of the factory, again though these things happen.

I'd advise trying again, also if the above phrase doesn't work then mentioning 'Trading Standards' might be worth a go as well, best of luck.

Thanks for the advice Sam.

I've decided now I've calmed down lel, to ring them again tomorrow.

I am completely unsatisfied with what they've told me tonight.

Also, I've been doing some research:

According to the Citizens Advice website...

When you buy something, consumer law says the item must be of satisfactory quality.

The law which gives you this right is called the Sale of Goods Act 1979. It only applies when you buy something as a consumer from a business, not from a private seller.

Be of satisfactory appearance and finish

You can expect a new item to have a good appearance and finish. If it doesn't, it's probably not of satisfactory quality, even if it has no other faults. For example, a new car with scratches or a shop-soiled dress aren't of satisfactory quality.

If goods are second-hand then you can't expect their appearance and finish to be as perfect as that of new items.

Be free of minor defects

Something with minor defects is probably not of satisfactory quality, even if the defects could be repaired. For example, a new shirt with buttons missing isn't of satisfactory quality, even if you could replace the buttons. A china dish with a small chip also isn’t of satisfactory quality.

Straight from the CA website. And I'll be reading that to them if I need to tomorrow.

Urgh. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the advice Sam.

I've decided now I've calmed down lel, to ring them again tomorrow.

I am completely unsatisfied with what they've told me tonight.

Also, I've been doing some research:

According to the Citizens Advice website...

Straight from the CA website. And I'll be reading that to them if I need to tomorrow.

Urgh. Wish me luck.

Lots of good advice here. Internet/Distance selling laws are on your side.

What an epic.

So I called back this morning. Armed with my Citizens advice knowledge haha.

Got through to a lady where I explained the situation (again) and told her everything. She said that the notes in front of her on my acc said that there was no chance of a refund but she would speak to the aftercare team to see what they said.

On hold.

She came back and said, yeah - nothing we can do as the item was turned on. They're saying they wont do anything.

So I then gave my Citizens Advice number a debut :heh: said that under the Sales of Goods act 1979 they are in fact breaking the law as an item has been sent to me that is not of satisfactory quality.

She started talking over me telling me to go to the complaints team and I just stayed calm and said to her - I am not looking to raise a complaint, I am trying to organise a return for a faulty / damaged item that you have sold me.

You are the customer services department and I am calling with a customer servicing query. It isn't a complaint YET.

To which she then said - I've spoke to aftercare they will not do anything

So I just cut her up this time and said - then transfer me to aftercare and I'll speak to them myself.

So away I go to aftercare, fuming that I've got no where again, also because of the fact they hung up on me last night when I went through to them.

Got through to a lady who I explained everything to AGAIN, and she said - because you've turned it on you've actually 'accepted' the goods which means we can't do anything.

I looked into this 'accepting' goods last night on Citizens advice, and it's a bit of a grey area. Basically you are not accepting goods when you take delivery and find the fault, but could be classed as acceptin them if you use the item, then decide to make the fault known. This was their angle with me turning on.

However I explained that the only reason the item was turned on was to make sure that this defect on the tablet didn't extend elsewhere as I was asked when I originally called if there were 'any other problems' with the item. As it is electrical, how would I know unless I turned it on.

I also pointed them to their own website which makes a point of mentioning the Sales of Goods act:

IMG-20150114-WA0000_zpspsdcaujv.jpg

Screen shot courtesy of @Mike1988uk last night when discussing :heh:

To this, she then said, right I'll pop you on hold and speak to someone further about this.

Ok.

She hung up. Line went dead.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

By this point I was ready to get in the car and drive to the offices and have it out.

I rang back, AGAIN. Went through all of the options. And as I got to the advisor who said - how can I help today, my mobile rung. I told him to hang on a sec and it was the lady who cut me off.

I then hung up on the Very advisor and thought - see how you fucking like it.

I spoke with the lady from tech and she apologised and said her phone had done that twice today. I told her it was fine and she then said she had spoken to her manager and someone was coming to collect the item for a return tomorrow.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I thanked her for all her help and told her she had been very helpful compared to everyone else I'd spoken to.

That's that then. Cheeky bastards.

And my dad won't be having the replacement from them! Off to Curry's we go! Please don't tell me anyone has a Curry's horror story... :blank: haha.

Moral of the story: never using very again. I have heard they are fucking terrible and your story pretty much backs this up.

I've used them a lot and they've always been okay for me, this episode aside.

Moral of the story is not to turn something on that has a physical defect. Or say you haven't even if you have.

I've used them a lot and they've always been okay for me, this episode aside.

Moral of the story is not to turn something on that has a physical defect. Or say you haven't even if you have.

Same with most things though, fine for most orders but when they go wrong some companies are just god awful.

Not turning something on sounds like some 'very' specific bullshit to me though. I would just say I haven't turned it on, how would they know? Can always do a factory wipe too if you happened to do the device setup.

Of course they wouldn't know but they asked me if I had and I said yes and that's when the problem started.

So its a good thing to remember for anyone who may have a similar problem (though unlikely) in future.

Nightmare drive home from work tonight, was about 5 minutes from home when the car just died on me just before some traffic lights.

I had a lot of unhappy drivers queuing up behind me waiting to get past. Tried to not look in my mirror as the queue was getting longer and longer.

Luckily the car started after 15 minutes so pulled onto a side road to wait for the AA van to arrive.

Urgghhhh.

@Aneres11 you got to the resolution you wanted in the end, and I'm pleased that you didn't give up on it! The whole idea of complaints handling is that it gives companies a chance to hold onto their customers. As others have said, now is your opportunity to cease all business with Very!

And be warned about looking at perhaps setting up shop with another catalogue; they are part of the Shop Direct group, which includes littlewoods, Kay&co, isme, and some other catalogue brands.

Checking twitter and finding out there are a couple of people that have had JET interview invitations in the post the last couple of days has had a pretty shitty impact on me. I'm going to be devastated if I don't even get that far despite all that I can offer and my distinction in the language.

I need a beer to chill me out and stop me from worrying.

I'm assuming you don't mean the nuclear fusion laboratory, the Joint European Torus?