NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Just had to spend twenty minutes explaining to a guy that what Sherlock Holmes does is never deduction, it's usually enumerative induction and if you're lucky abduction. But he was all like "yeah science nngghh"

Had a completely pointless argument with my parents over the washing machine. I said i put the machine on, they were convinced i never put the powder and stuff in. Yeah, completely pointless.

Sometimes I wouldn't call stuff posted in this thread bad stuff at all. I'd simply call it "everyday things that happen to everyone but annoy me slightly".

Sometimes people will post things that are quite bad and they may be posting to talk about these things but they get lost in a sea of such trivial matters that are posted... I do get how this post is trivial in a manner too.

We should have a separate thread where people can rate each other's bad stuff, and if it gets, say, a 7/10 or higher, they can post it in this thread.

Sometimes I wouldn't call stuff posted in this thread bad stuff at all. I'd simply call it "everyday things that happen to everyone but annoy me slightly".

Sometimes people will post things that are quite bad and they may be posting to talk about these things but they get lost in a sea of such trivial matters that are posted... I do get how this post is trivial in a manner too.

Well it depends, something you state is trivial might not be to someone else.

Obviously things such as the passing of relatives is always going to be seen by anyone as bad. But if someone truly fucks up your day, then why shouldn't it be posted here?

I say this because that's what I intended for the good day thread when I started it and nobody seems to have complain about anything like that there.

I guess it's because I've been through some bad stuff myself lately and seeing some posts in here I just found it outrageous. Silly even.

I'm not trying to troll or anything of the like, I just felt I needed to say it. That's all.

I guess it's because I've been through some bad stuff myself lately and seeing some posts in here I just found it outrageous. Silly even.

I'm not trying to troll or anything of the like, I just felt I needed to say it. That's all.

There's many different layers/levels of badness. It's not really something you can quantify. Plus, sometimes it just depends on the day. Sometimes you'll have a shit day where the little things get you down, other times it'll just roll off you like water. It all depends really.

There are many different levels of badness, that I'm not disputing, but some of those that are posted are along the lines of "I stubbed my toe". It's crazy!

There are many different levels of badness, that I'm not disputing, but some of those that are posted are along the lines of "I stubbed my toe". It's crazy!

Haha, I suppose so.

But so what? Its a forum, most people don't vent anywhere else (I know I don't.)

Perhaps if you were so inclined you could have a

'here's a thread for any death'

'here's a thread for any regular bad niggles in your life.'

::shrug:

I think we did have "things that annoy you" thread at one point.

The thread itself actually annoyed me.

How meta, someone's bad stuff is that the bad stuff thread doesn't have enough bad stuff.

Surely it's a good thing that the bad stuff thread has really bad bad stuff in it?

In fact, I might go put that in the good stuff thread.

How meta, someone's bad stuff is that the bad stuff thread doesn't have enough bad stuff.

No.

It's good that there's not more actual bad stuff. What I'm saying is that people's bad stuff get lost in the sea of menial posts. As opposed to talking and helping each other with said bad stuff, following up and seeing how they are after having given support/condolences or something, the thread is awash with "someone annoyed me" or "I missed my train" or some trivial shit that can be forgotten about in a moment.

...and that's a funny comment coming from you Diageo. In so many posts I see you try to look at "the bigger picture" with a very open mind and try to understand all that could possibly be (even if I disagree with it sometimes, for example the Ian Watkins thread) and yet there you are not actually reading and interpreting what I had said. You will try to see a paedophile in the best possible light but yet here you are very shallow in your comment towards me. Funny.

Edited by Kav

It is unwise to view anyone's posts as trivial. While they may not hold the same gravitas as 'big ticket' problems, you simply don't know enough about context to label them trivial.

It could be that it is 'the straw that broke the camel's back', or that they simply have nowhere else to discuss it, or that there are other things going on but they either feel like they can't, or don't wish to, discuss it with others and thus choose to discuss other problems.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad spell recently, but marginalising the experiences of others, particularly when it is their problems they are talking about, isn't going to help matters for anyone.

No.

It's good that there's not more actual bad stuff. What I'm saying is that people's bad stuff get lost in the sea of menial posts. As opposed to talking and helping each other with said bad stuff, following up and seeing how they are after having given support/condolences or something, the thread is awash with "someone annoyed me" or "I missed my train" or some trivial shit that can be forgotten about in a moment.

...and that's a funny comment coming from you Diageo. In so many posts I see you try to look at "the bigger picture" with a very open mind and try to understand all that could possibly be (even if I disagree with it sometimes, for example the Ian Watkins thread) and yet there you are not actually reading and interpreting what I had said. You will try to see a paedophile in the best possible light but yet here you are very shallow in your comment towards me. Funny.

I understood exactly what you said, I was making a joke. No need to compare me to some homunculus version you have concocted in your head.

For bad things where people need real help and opinions from others, you can clearly see that this thread offers that. When a person's relative or close companion passes away, there's not much else to do than offer condolences. There is no need for some sort of therapy room affair where we regularly check in with one another. Go to a support group for that. This is a place for people to ask for advice yes, but to vent as well and just let their feelings out. Who cares how mundane it is. No one has the right to dictate how you feel. There is no higher order of suffering where we must all target the most severe cases and only when that is settled, can we support what is perceived as a smaller problem. Emotions are subjective anyway and while you may think that stubbing your toe or whatever else doesn't really matter, it matters to others. This thread isn't all about a single person's belief of what should be put online under the label of bad.

You said you get annoyed because you are going through some things and people here are complaining about mundane stuff that drowns out what you consider to be sufficient suffering for the thread label. Well I've got to say, get over it. You can put your problems down and vent like the others, where people might or might not offer some words of encouragement. But don't let your moodiness over what you've got going on interrupt the perfectly valid complaints of others here.

Well I've got to say, get over it.

I seriously hope you are telling Kav to get over the issue he is having with the thread and what people post in it rather than to get over what he is currently going through right now.

Edited by Blade

I seriously hope you are telling Kav to get over the issue he is having with the thread and what people post in it rather than to get over what he is currently going through right now.

It's clear that he meant the issues he's having with his thread. I think Diageo's got this one right. If something bothers you, then you should post about it if that's what you want to do. Sure, there will always be stuff in here that will pale in comparison, there's not a lot anyone can do about that though. From what I've seen, folk are usually pretty good and won't post the "petty" stuff directly after something serious, and they usually offer their support and help. If this forum has faults, being helpful towards one another or being supportive isn't one of them.

...random waffle...

And here it is, the funny thing itself! I can't go calling things trivial and yet my gripe here I'm told to "get over it" as if it's trivial itself. No care for any understanding or anything at all.

Some forum members here make me laugh so much!

You like to insinuate hypocrisy in the way others do things yet you are here trivially complaining about how other people trivially complain. When you are so eager to label the complaints of others as trivial can you not comprehend how others might do the same. It's one thing to say that people should be understanding of other people's opinions, but when other people's opinions are that your opinions are invalid, you can understand how that might create a conflict that negates understanding.

There's also a distinct difference in what both parties want. You're annoyed that others post petty disturbances and want others to stop posting. We're saying that this will not happen and you should give up. Not that you should stop posting.

And even if people's complaints are petty, so what? There are no rules on how bad something must be before it can be posted here. Anyone is allowed to post no matter how small. If you want a controlled space where people only post highly emotionally disturbing life events then you can create your own thread.

Can we just put the whole forum in here and be done with it?

Also, today my dog's stomach swelled up and he started shaking like crazy. Is everybody happy now?

You like to insinuate hypocrisy in the way others do things yet you are here trivially complaining about how other people trivially complain...

...there you are not actually reading and interpreting what I had said...

I thought you said you were reading what I wrote?

I thought you said you were reading what I wrote?

Just because you highlight your own hypocrisy doesn't mean it's not hypocritical. Unless you think it's ok for people to post petty complaints as long as they put a #petty after it?