NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

£700/800 plus council tax I imagine? I'd counter that in, plus bills too.

Just started my PC, boom, 'overclocking' error. I'm not overclocking by any means. Take the new (new as in 3 months old) ram out, make sure everything is set to auto. It boots up.

I don't understand really considering it works all the time just fine and then picks its moments. Sigh, ruins my damn day. Now I only have 4gb to run on instead of 8gb for video work and its damn slow.

I'm also having (self-inflicted) RAM problems. Installed Parallels so I can run a Windows 7 machine alongside OS X for Visual Studio. Allocated 2GB of RAM to it and my OS X installation is going painfully slow. Thankfully I only need Windows for a week max.

Isn't it such a bitch?

I believe it is the RAM due to not having issues with my PC before I installed the RAM. My friend is dubious as he has the same ones but doesn't seem to realise our systems are completely different.

They seem fine for now, but if it kicks up a fuss again I'm going to have to not bother.

I'm a little bit mad. My boss had told me she would consider putting me on the next level (which is a supervisor level) depending on how I coped with the rush on the weekend. I didn't hold my breath but I thought 'fuck it' and did it anyway and I was told I coped very well but I was right to not hold my breath because when I asked her about whether she'd consider me, she denied saying that it would be the weekend but instead for the whole month. Apparently, I'm her 'star person' this month which means she'll be keeping an eye on me and seeing what I do and how I handle situations and shit. It's annoyed me that she's sort of done that to me and I'm not exactly sure if I want it now but at the same time, I guess if there's a chance of me climbing the ladder, I should take it because it could lead to better job opportunities in other places so I have to think about that. I get that money isn't everything but the pay hardly matches the responsibility. I guess it's something I must seriously consider.

Just annoyed me how it was one thing which then changed to the other and denied saying it in the first place. I don't mind it being extended but SAY that you extended it, don't say you didn't say it.

Can see why you may be annoyed @Animal but id just carry on and work towards getting promoted. Also dont let your annoyance known either as I imagine this may hinder your chances.

Can see why you may be annoyed @Animal but id just carry on and work towards getting promoted. Also dont let your annoyance known either as I imagine this may hinder your chances.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too but they know what I'm like anyway. I'm not in-your-face but, as a lot of you know, I don't tolerate a lot of shit, even from managers. I've had words with them before about disagreements and how I thought their way of running things was awful. I once told them that communication in the place was terrible and I also told them how I won't stand being spoken to like shit in front of everybody just so they feel like 'the big I am' but I can also appreciate stress but the other staff are just as much under stress, if not more, to try and meet their sales targets and to deal with all kinds of customers and children alongside.

I've not said a word this time though, I've merely said okay purely because I actually expected this to happen. I even told my dad exactly what would happen and it did, almost to the letter. You can't be disappointed if you expected it.

Still, it's a job, I guess. All I can do is look for a better one or look for another part-time to work alongside it but since I'm working a weekend too, it's not going to be easy!

I have been having a serious case of homesickness the last few days and I really need to write some stuff down because it is hurting me.

I am currently in Belgium and I have been crying myself to sleep for the last three nights. The reason is that I have realized how much I miss being here and how much I regret having to leave again on Sunday. I have the feeling that I haven’t properly had the time to enjoy being here, as things have been so busy, and I only had 5 full days.

I have realized that I miss everything here. Not just my family and friends, but the area, the people, the atmosphere here. As soon as I got here, it hit me that I was “home”. It feels like home. The UK just doesn’t feel like home to me. There are some nice areas there, but overall, it doesn’t seem to grab me, it doesn’t make me feel like I want to spend the rest of my life there. When people ask me if I plan to live in the UK forever, I honestly answer them that I don’t know. I really don’t know if I can stay there the rest of my life. Maybe it’s just Bournemouth which I don’t like that much (even though the area we live in is nice, it still doesn’t make me feel home), but so far other places in the UK haven’t seem that great either to me.

I was cycling through some streets here in Belgium to get my haircut (cycling, something I wouldn’t/couldn’t do properly in the UK) and it just hit me how nice everything looks. The streets are nice and wide, there is lots of green everywhere, even all the houses just look so nice and look so different from the ones in the UK. It’s not that I hate the UK, I just don’t feel at home there. It doesn’t help that I don’t really have any real friends (just work colleagues) and that my job is shit. I know that if I lived in Belgium my job might be shit as well, and my friends wouldn’t always be able to meet up, but at least there would be a possibility for them meeting up.

My friend has been raving about how she has been doing lots of fun things, meeting up with new people, how she is going to start her own organization with friends to start a designer group etc. I feel like I am missing out on so much. I have been missing out on birthdays, births, weddings… apparently my godfather has divorced now and I didn’t even know about it. I have the feeling I might miss out on funerals too because it is impossible to get time off for those in work.

Basically I am going through a bit of an emotional/personal crisis at the moment, unsure about what I want from my life and what I want to do. I am happy living with Jim and it is great to have my own place, I love it. But I don’t seem to like the area, the circumstances etc. There is no guarantee that things would be better here though, which makes all this even more painful to think about.

To summarize, I have no clue what I want right now.

Oh @Eenuh I'm sorry to hear about your situation! :(

I have the same thoughts currently, except being home sick. I'm a little confused on where I would go and how that would impact my life better.

Is there anyway that perhaps you and Jim could work towards moving over there?

In other news, my week has continued to be awful, my computer died, my housemate asked for another dog and I had to tell her if she got one I'd move out, there's been things happening at work that have been pretty awful and my moods have just gotten gradually worse.

I was so close to being fine, the last year or so have been really good for me, I've been happier in every sense and been able to get on with my life.

But these last four months have brought me down so badly I'm not even sure what to do, I'm trying desperately to keep myself motivated and happy, but its not working.

Bit lost really.

I ran out of me Yorkshire Tea at work today!!

I didnt have time to go to the shop either. Gutted.

I spent another morning vomiting out my internal organs. Getting real tired of this real quickly. :(

@Eenuh bournemouth is shit. My sister lives there with her husband and kid. I hate it. Just such a bad town. I'm not saying you'll feel less homesick elsewhere, but I am saying that you may find other places more comfortable. It's a seaside town that is dead half the year.Flink has a connection to brighton already, and you could easily move sideways in your position - I know a company that I previously worked with that is looking for foreign speakers. I dont think you have to replace your home with a UK-based place, but don't give up on enjoying the different life that it offers!

I spent another morning vomiting out my internal organs. Getting real tired of this real quickly. :(

Oh blimey, that doesn't sound like the ideal breakfast routine. :woops:

@Eenuh, no place will feel like home like your old home ever will. You'll settle down and have kids one day and that will feel like home to them. Maybe your parents moved to where you grew up and called it home?*

The thing that gets me is that your Godfather divorced you, the fuck?!

*Dynamite assumption.

@Eenuh bournemouth is shit. My sister lives there with her husband and kid. I hate it. Just such a bad town. I'm not saying you'll feel less homesick elsewhere, but I am saying that you may find other places more comfortable. It's a seaside town that is dead half the year.Flink has a connection to brighton already, and you could easily move sideways in your position - I know a company that I previously worked with that is looking for foreign speakers. I dont think you have to replace your home with a UK-based place, but don't give up on enjoying the different life that it offers!

Yeah Bournemouth is just a bit bleh. I do like the place we live next to the park, but the town itself is a bit shit. I had friends ask me what you can do there and all I could think of was "there's a beach".

I am not a beach person though, never liked it much. In that regards, Brighton doesn't appeal to me either, especially since it is a lot greyer than Bournemouth. Brighton is great for visits, but not sure I could live there either heh. I would be looking for something green, but still busy enough that there are quite a few things to do.

@Eenuh, no place will feel like home like your old home ever will. You'll settle down and have kids one day and that will feel like home to them. Maybe your parents moved to where you grew up and called it home?*

Not having kids haha. My parents have always lived in this city, my grandparents have always lived here, I think even my great-grandparents lived here as well. Most of my family even lives in the same street. =P

I know that nothing will feel like my old home, but that's not what I want anyway. I want to live on my own, but I am kind of in love with this city. The longer I move away, the more I realise how much I like it. If I could find a similar type of city in the UK, that would help a lot already I think. =)

Out of the five places I've lived, Romsey is by far the nicest. nice really nice UK town. The rest are shit holes. I would love live in America.

Christ people, I'm on my way to Bournemouth right now and you aren't selling it at all. Considering turning around and going back...

I know that nothing will feel like my old home, but that's not what I want anyway. I want to live on my own, but I am kind of in love with this city. The longer I move away, the more I realise how much I like it. If I could find a similar type of city in the UK, that would help a lot already I think. =)

Come down my hood, we have a lil part of Nottingham where you can ride your bike around and near the canal you can fap around in the lovely fields and stuff.

Come down my hood [...] and near the canal you can fap around in the lovely fields and stuff.

I assume "fap" in this context doesn't mean what I think it means?

Favourite cities in the UK for me, hands down is Manchester.

Alright, so I'm a bit biased, I'm originally from that area, but the city is awesome, its huge, nobody knows each other, its busy as all hell. Sheffield was slightly the same way too, but more studenty than I'd like.

I find and whilst this may not be the rule, that the North is actually far more friendly. After moving to Cambridge its shown a pretty stark contrast between 'North' and 'South' which I never believe in until a year or two ago when I moved..

Move to Scotland @Eenuh!

There's green everywhere!

Edited by Jon

Favourite cities in the UK for me, hands down is Manchester.

Alright, so I'm a bit biased, I'm originally from that area, but the city is awesome, its huge, nobody knows each other, its busy as all hell. Sheffield was slightly the same way too, but more studenty than I'd like.

I find and whilst this may not be the rule, that the North is actually far more friendly. After moving to Cambridge its shown a pretty stark contrast between 'North' and 'South' which I never believe in until a year or two ago when I moved..

Depends where you go in Sheff like any uni city. Where I live there are no students. Actually vast majority of the city has no students. Eccy road/hunters bar/broomhill/crookes...full of em!

I agree though northerners are a lot better :-)

Plus the city is slap bang in middle of the countryside with the Peak District a stone throw away.

Sheffield is wonderful!

Edited by Blade

Living in Oxford, I'll agree with this. Although I think it may be more of a class thing.

Potentially being closer to London seems to have that affect, people are unsurprisingly quite rude and snobby here. Which I thought was a pack of lies before I moved.

Eh, cannot please everyone, but I do miss cities further North.

It's probably the reverse in Jock land. Most of the central belt places are considered more 'friendly'. The North East tends to be full of miserable people, who don't smile very often, aren't such fans of physical contact and we tend to be overtly cynical.

I liken Aberdeen to the Winterfell of the UK.

Bournemouth is alright, I quite like it. Although, I think I like the area around my school more, Ringwood. I think I prefer the greener places as opposed to the beach. Anyway, Bournemouth beach is better than Brighton's. ;)

I'll echo @nightwolf's bit about Manchester. I love it.