NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

37 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

The noise isn't bad at all, it's a white goods noise. Certainly preferable to the heat.

Maybe I'll get one next year then. I should have just enough space by the window still to feed the pipe through.

16 hours ago, Sheikah said:

My tip would be to buy a portable aircon machine (approx. £250) and then never have to do any of these other tips.

Seriously though, got mine 10 years ago and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Can second this.  Have one myself and it’s worth it’s (pretty enormous) weight in gold!

• Like 1

I lost a toe nail yesterday. It also wasn't the one I expected to fall off.. So I'm expecting to lose another one at some point.

It doesn't hurt. Technically it's still clinging on, and I leave it on for protection of the skin beneath, but it's lost for most intents and purposes, so RIP toe nail. :(

Like I said it doesn't hurt, but it will complicate things. I probably can exercise, but I'll need to be more careful, and I'll need take care of my little toe to make sure the new nail will grow correctly. I've never lost a nail before so this will be a new experience.

On the upside is that I do have something to show for it (spoiler), because I took part in The Nijmegen 4 days marches last month, and well, I made it, but this was the cost apparently.

I still intend to make a more elaborate post for it in the exercise thread at some point. I haven't yet because.. I also took home another souvenir, a Corona virus, so I was sick the week after I returned home (for the first time in probably 30 years!), and didn't feel like doing anything back then. I only felt really miserable for 2 days, but took it easy afterwards. Luckily no long term effects.

But at this point the Nijmegen experience isn't fresh in my mind any more, so I still haven't posted about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62968072

How long has she been in charge? Just more of the same putting money into their rich friends hands!

When has giving the already rich more money ever done anything to stimulate the economy? It'll just be sent to a bank account god knows where to sit and accrue interest...

Edited by Eddage
  • Like 1

Got hit by a car today. it's not even the first time this year.:indeed: But the first time wasn't serious, this one knocked me out cold.

That's me

Luckily I seem to be built like a tank, and apart from minor stuff like scrapes and bruises there's only the concussion to worry about. CT scan didn't show anything serious, so they let me go.

Just to clarify, I was on my bike. I remember approaching the roundabout, and I remember regaining conciousness in the ambulance, but nothing in between. My poor bike though, wasn't as lucky. I left it in Delft (where I had the accident but I don't live there), it doesn't ride anymore. That's not the first beating this year it got as well.

Edited by Sméagol

7 hours ago, Iun said:

Holy potatoes, are you alright?

I'm fysically fine yeah, nothing serious. I seem to have hit my head on the pavement. I don't remember it, but my injuries seem t indicate this. Luckily I was always accused of having a hard head, and it definitely helped out here. I've got a concussion, resulting in a headache, but that's fading. A few scrapes, one of them on the top left side of my head, but nothing serious. And nothing visible thanks to my luscious hair. Got some blood on my glasses though, which miraculously also survived the incident. And I got some sore muscles. A few in my neck, but the worst are on the left side of my head. Chewing food hurts at the moment, this is the most annoying thing right now.

No I seem to be able to sleep of anything. After I got home yesterday, I spent most time in bed. I got up to eat and check the internet (and post on NE about my adventure), but then headed back to bed early. I'm better now but I'll probably take it easy today as well. I'll probably go see a few films tomorrow, though I hate having to use public transportation. I have no other options currently without a functional bike. I'll probably be complete my old self after the weekend, or later this week. I'm more worried about the practical and financial consequences, that's going to be a hassle.

Edit:

Apparently, there's a video available.

Edit: Oh the video is part of a (small) article). You can find it here (and run it through Google translate):

https://district8.net/gewonde-bij-aanrijding-tussen-auto-en-fietser-op-horror-rotonde-martinus-nijhofflaan-delft.html

And that roundabout seems to be notorious. You can find multiple videos of accidents on that location on the same channel.

Edited by Sméagol

Jeez, that's still pretty violent. Concussions can be serious, make sure you recovered fully.

I hope you're feeling better now, at any rate.

• Thanks 1

Got invited to my friend's daughter's 18th and I refuse to be old enough for that to be possible.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

I've just been stupidly annoyed all day since the afternoon.

I'm in process of switching broadband provider and upgrading to fibre. Installation was to happen today. Had a call yesterday from the installation company that work on behalf of the new ISP to confirm the installation for today. They confirmed my address which was correct but they had my postcode wrong so I gave them the correct one and they said all was good.

Just in case I called the provider to check they had correct postcode and they already did, and I've received post from them. They said all is good.

I waited today, expecting someone between 9am and 1pm, 1 comes nobody here. I call up the installation company to see if the engineer is running late maybe and they tell me that my appointment was cancelled!

Wtf, that is news to me.

Turns out because they had the wrong postcode they can't just change it on their system they need the provider to resubmit the order. And the girl that called yesterday to confirm everything was the one who cancelled the appointment and didn't fecking tell me that that would happen. 😠

I had to ring up the provider again, they put in a request for a new appointment which has to go through some sort of system and can apparently take awhile. When made the original order had appointment date within 2 hours, still not got any email with this new appointment date....now my worry is the installation could happen on a date after my old/current ISP cuts me off.

FFS

Our dishwasher appears to have packed up. Cycle from last night didn't appear to have drained so when dragging it a bit (not all the way because fucking pipes aren't that long) it started back up again, so thought all would be well, but it seemed that cut out before end of the cycle and water hadn't drained 100% again, and none of the buttons are responding. I've tried a few things, taking out the filter for a proper clean, soda crystals and vinegar, thinking that it was shutting itself down due to overheating because it was clogged (a problem I had with my vacuum once)

*sigh* it's had a good run I guess. It was there when we moved in our house and that was 6 years ago, the effort now in aside from ordering a new dishwasher is finding a way to access the back, which involves either emptying a cupboard and seeing if a panel can be removed for access to the back, or dragging the oven out to see if there is enough water pipe slack that it can be pulled out from where it is.

Next door has been ripping their house down to the foundations and doing it up for the last 4 months.  It's got that bad, that i've been losing sleep because they like to start around 8am and work right through to 7-8pm most days.  Doesn't help matters when i'm working and all i can hear is hammering, jackhammering etc.  Have been considering moving back to my parents for a while until it calms down.  They have been down every day the last 2 weeks, including Christmas Day working on that house.

Next door hasn't exactly been making a lot of friends in the street, myself and my partner included.  Their house has been targeted for a lot of vandalism and the like, and they've asked me to keep an eye out for any troublemakers and call the police because i have a camera on the house.  The house next door to them, the tenant spent Christmas Day in a police cell because he decided to smash next doors car windows because of the ongoing DIY.

Next door has been ripping their house down to the foundations and doing it up for the last 4 months.  It's got that bad, that i've been losing sleep because they like to start around 8am and work right through to 7-8pm most days.  Doesn't help matters when i'm working and all i can hear is hammering, jackhammering etc.  Have been considering moving back to my parents for a while until it calms down.  They have been down every day the last 2 weeks, including Christmas Day working on that house.
Next door hasn't exactly been making a lot of friends in the street, myself and my partner included.  Their house has been targeted for a lot of vandalism and the like, and they've asked me to keep an eye out for any troublemakers and call the police because i have a camera on the house.  The house next door to them, the tenant spent Christmas Day in a police cell because he decided to smash next doors car windows because of the ongoing DIY.
That's ridiculous! Is there no way you can put in a noise complaint?

I've got the flu for the first time ever and it was horrific. It started on Christmas Night as well so I guess Santa left me germs for Christmas, haha. Getting better now though so that's something! I'm just gutted because I really wanted to get back into the gym before this year ended.

Sent from my Nokia G10 using Tapatalk

8am doesn't sound particularly anti-social for a start time.

I think it would have to be earlier than that to count for a noise complaint.

8 hours ago, bob said:

I agree, normally I would expect carpenters and the like to start at 6 am. That would have been inconsiderate. 

But it must be bad if people tend to vandalism because of some work being done on a house. That's a crazy overreaction.

Edited by MindFreak

@Jimbob

My parents were essentially dirven out of the house I grew up in due to 2am-noise from the farm -Noise Abatement from the Local Council could do squat. Beautiful house and so many happy memories. But when the floodlights and tractors are starting up every night and you have to be on the way to work at 6:30, not such an ideal situation.

Edited by Iun
  • Sad 1

Paid my taxes (business and personal) :angry:
Big deal, some of us do it every month.

1 hour ago, bob said:
3 hours ago, Ashley said:
Paid my taxes (business and personal) :angry:

Big deal, some of us do it every month.

I pay national insurance every month if that counts

On 30/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, bob said:

I think it would have to be earlier than that to count for a noise complaint.

On 30/12/2022 at 1:10 PM, MindFreak said:

I agree, normally I would expect carpenters and the like to start at 6 am. That would have been inconsiderate. 

But it must be bad if people tend to vandalism because of some work being done on a house. That's a crazy overreaction.

I did look through the local council noise complaint stuff, and DIY (well, the noisy bits anyway) shouldn't start before 9am and must stop around 6pm.  Can't start it before 10am on a Sunday either, outside of these times is considered anti-social.

Was an update.  Yesterday, the tenant who vandalised the house doing DIY had their house raided by armed police and arrested.  I don't think he'll be around for a while, however he was shouting abuse at the owners doing DIY so i expect this isn't over between them.

I have apparently bent a rib last week. I dropped a large wooden plank on my chest and while it hurt, it wasn't much. I was a bit sore the next few days but nothing serious. Now, though, it hurts every time I breathe, and sneezing is terribly hurtful! It's apparently normal for the pain to grow steadily worse over 7-10 days. I can't exercise properly because heavy breathing is painful. Hopefully the recovery will be swift. 

Urgh, gonna have a cystoscopy in two weeks :/
Not really thinking too much about it, but sometimes some thoughts do creep up. The doc has a theory for my issues and if it's confirmed, the cause can be anything from harmless to alarming.

It's also a day before my flight to Milan. The procedure itself won't be an issue but depending on what the doc finds there might be one.

Nothing I can do about it anyways. Gonna play some games while I wait (and work occasionally :p)

Edited by drahkon

Thank you, people in power attending the Climate Change Conference.

Fossil fuels won't be phased out then...it's so fucking tiring. The world is quite literally burning but some people just want more money.

I hate this.