NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

29 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm hungry and want some lunch but its too hot to move...

Just had some cold overnight oats but that's all I can muster to eat.
It's too hot here in Germany, too.

I don't even wanna play video games.

1stWorld.jpg

• Like 1

Bit late to find out, but apparently SMart presenter Mark Speight killed himself...

In 2008 after the death of his wife, but I'm only just finding out about it.

Bit late to find out, but apparently SMart presenter Mark Speight killed himself...

In 2008 after the death of his wife, but I'm only just finding out about it.

Yeah, was shocking when I heard that at the time.

Was on a family trip to Edinburgh from last Monday to yesterday (Thursday), had a great time while there.

Worst part of the trip over was going through Dublin airport which has become a complete mess due to short staffed on security personnel that is is causing stupid long queues. Took us nearly nearly an hour and half to get through bag drop and security. No time to do anything after even get some breakfast and even if tried queues at restaurants were as bad.

On way home yesterday thought everything was running smoothly, Edinburgh airport was a dream experience compared to Dublin. Arrived at airport, did the self serve bag tag and bag drop and through security all in 20 mins. Relaxed and took our time, Joy got to do a bit of shopping all happy.

Then came the flight, "boarding" started on time, well that is to say the opened the gate checked boarding cards and passports and we walked through gate but then we had to wait in the tunnel area after that. You would think only a few mins, ended up standing there for about 35-40 mins. If it was just me I wouldn't have minded but it wasn't great for the kids and my mother in her 70's and other elderly passengers.

Finally got on plane (Ryanair by the way for anyone wondering) and it took off an hour later than scheduled. Grand just an hour, would have preferred if they delayed the boarding so we could have stayed sitting inside instead of standing in a queue but whatever at least it was only an hour.

And I wish that was the worst of it.

Got to Dublin, found the conveyor belt for bagged and waited....and kept waiting. Watched some bags come out and going round and then noticed on the screen above it is said "last bag delivered" I was like wtf that can't be right. The belt eventually stopped and our bags still not there, ours and a bunch of other people (about 30ish people maybe more) also all looking around without our bags.

Few mins and belt started moving again and thought of grand this will be it. Agter about 5 mins of watching bags and still not seeing ours I noticed the flight number on the tags of the new bags going round were from a different flight.

Others started to notice also and a line started forming at the Ryanair desk near the belt.

All the staff could tell us after checking was the bags weren't in Dublin. From the amount of people missing bags I say there was a whole wagon of bags left in Edinburgh....if not somehow put on wrong flight. They couldn't confirm for us if bags were indentified in Edinburgh or not.

They had us fill in a report form and opened a report on it, gave a reference number and said we'll be contacted when bags found and will be delivered to our home.

And details on what to do if we don't hear anything in 5 days which doesn't make me feel good.

For us I suppose we weren't the worst off, bags were mostly clothes, I had some souvenirs in one also and I put all our chargers into one so I would have slightly less weight in my hand carry. Thankfully for phones my wife had hers in her hand carry so I can share that. Need to get my mom a new charger though.

Other people on the flight though, alot were tourists, Americans doing a Scotland and Ireland combined holiday and now their Ireland part of it fairly ruined by that experience. Heard some say they were only in Ireland for 3 days before going back to America. Heard one girl say she was moving over here for 6 months for a college course and all her stuff was in her suitcase.

I could kinda understand like one of two cases going missing by accident, fallen off a wagon or something. But a whole wagon load seems ridiculous. And that Ryanair seemed unaware till we went up to the desk also.

Like surely someone would have noticed there was a lot less bags put in the hold than was expected before the plane took off. I would imagine there are checks against say if 100 bags are checked in that an airline would know if 30 of that 100 were not put on the plane.

If they even knew beforehand and had a rep at the belt to give a heads up and reassure people they were aware and we would be looked after and what was happening explained it would at least been something better than not knownkng anything.

The creator of Yu-Gi-Oh, Kazuki Takahashi, has passed away at age 60. He was found in snorkeling equipment floating off the coast of Nago, Okinawa, yesterday :(

I haven't been into Yu-Gi-Oh for a long time at this point, but man, those early years of primary school enjoying Yu-Gi-Oh with my friends - trading, battling, getting way too into it - were such a blast, as was waking up early on weekends to tune into CITV and watch the latest episode of the anime. Despite it ending in a very bittersweet way for me, I still look back on my time spent enjoying Yu-Gi-Oh as a kid very fondly. 

Rest in Peace, Takahashi-san. You made us all hope for a better draw and believe in the Heart of the Cards. 

Edited by Julius

Anyone having to do anything different over the next few days for the heat? I've got the days off anyway but was tempted to just go in as my office has AC but I decided to stay at home to make sure my cats don't just stay out in the heat.

14 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone having to do anything different over the next few days for the heat? I've got the days off anyway but was tempted to just go in as my office has AC but I decided to stay at home to make sure my cats don't just stay out in the heat.

The Nijmegen 4 days marches starts tuesday.. Or it was supposed to, they cancelled the first day because of the heat (estimated 39°C).

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Give them some credit. Your cats wouldn't just sit in the heat like a dog...

This Is Fine Meme Generator - Imgflip

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I work from home normally anyway but because of some meeting I'm going to the gym at midday but will just drink plenty and go easier.

Tomorrow I have a funeral though so that'll be interesting. My plan to be suited has changed to formal trousers and a shirt and hoping the burial plot will have some shade!

Keeping an eye on trains today though to see if I travel after work today or in the morning. They're normally every 15 minutes but looking at National Rail at the moment there's one at 18:30 and the next one is at 21h. Apparently none are cancelled tomorrow but that doesn't feel right.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I'm working from home, so over the weekend grabbed some blackout curtains for my room and office in my apartment and will be keeping those and the windows closed. Other than that, got some flannels in the freezer to grab at a moment's notice and apply to the back of my neck if needed, cold shower on standby, and of course plenty of water (which I normally drink anyways, but I'll be tracking it the next few days to make sure I get enough). Oh, and got a good fan pointed at me all day too :D

A bit worried about my dad as he works in delivery and is going to be out on the road today, he's a redhead too which doesn't exactly relieve my worries. 

Take care out there all :peace:

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

A bit worried about my dad as he works in delivery and is going to be out on the road today, he's a redhead too which doesn't exactly relieve my worries. 

Take care out there all :peace:

I'm sure your dad will be fine, as long as he wears his hat:AKedOLSrFtP6gNpCRNz_rSKMJCDLwgYfXXnBhn_L

• Haha 1

Some WFH tips from me are to wear a sports t-shirt as the fabric will allow your body to breathe a bit and when having your breaks consider turning off your electronics to give them some downtime to cool off as well--even check your router and other things you wouldn't normally worry about to see how warm they are.

Then in general, if you feel you're reaching the point where the heat is becoming unbearable, keep in mind you can hop in for a cool/ cold shower. Depending on your tolerance levels they're great (at all times of the year). 

Don't worry, it'll all be over soon. :laughing:

The Terminator Gif - Gif Abyss

Edited by darksnowman
acronym correction

Well our water has now gone off, looks like yet another burst pipe outside the village. Really not the day for it! 🤬

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Some WFH tips from me are to wear a sports t-shirt

Fuck that I'm in a vest! Only had three meetings today; a catch up with my team, a chat with a colleague and then an update call with a client but the client is my former employer so meh. But at least it's one of my more modest vests and not the low cut one I wore to the gym!

Just moved the fan into the living room (/workspace) to cool me down. Usually just closing the blinds is enough but alas not.

Still no water here and the water company has set up a water bottle point in a village miles away (and completely spelt the name wrong so if you don't look up the post code you have no idea where it's talking about). I think I'll just swap my annual leave day and go back into work today.

Anyway you cut it going over 40°C for the first time on record isn't good news :(

Too hot to play video games.

Fuck this heat.

37°C over here and it'll "cool down" to 27°C tonight...

Some WFH tips from me are to wear a sports t-shirt as the fabric will allow your body to breathe a bit and when having your breaks consider turning off your electronics to give them some downtime to cool off as well--even check your router and other things you wouldn't normally worry about to see how warm they are.
Then in general, if you feel you're reaching the point where the heat is becoming unbearable, keep in mind you can hop in for a cool/ cold shower. Depending on your tolerance levels they're great (at all times of the year). 
Don't worry, it'll all be over soon. :laughing:
26190.gif
My tip would be to buy a portable aircon machine (approx. £250) and then never have to do any of these other tips.

Seriously though, got mine 10 years ago and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made.
  • Thanks 1

Record got broken again in Coningsby, Lincolnshire, reaching 40.3°C. 

Just seen about the fires in Wenington, East London, too, several houses burnt to a cinder. It's shocking stuff to see. 

But don't worry, we still have people in power who deny climate change or are halting drastic changes needed around climate change. 

fire-dog.gif

Well, at least we've made it through the last 36 hours I guess. Locally, we've got a thunderstorm forecast to start in the next hour which is going to plummet the temperature from 33°C to 23°C before it climbs up a bit again before the sun goes down, so I'm keeping half an eye on the window to open it up and get some cooler air in. 

Edited by Julius

On 18/07/2022 at 3:49 PM, Ashley said:

Fuck that I'm in a vest!

You can only use what you have so if your wardrobe lends itself more to the Rab C Nesbitt or Onslow look, then, by all means, work away!

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

My tip would be to buy a portable aircon machine (approx. £250) and then never have to do any of these other tips.

Seriously though, got mine 10 years ago and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Think Smart GIF - Think Smart - Discover & Share GIFs

Got the bunker kitted out nicely in advance.

Every year I plan to buy a small Aircon for my room and I've still yet to do it. The noise especially has always put me off.

Every year I plan to buy a small Aircon for my room and I've still yet to do it. The noise especially has always put me off.

The noise isn't bad at all, it's a white goods noise. Certainly preferable to the heat.

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

You can only use what you have so if your wardrobe lends itself more to the Rab C Nesbitt or Onslow look, then, by all means, work away!

I'm going for the more Lara Croft look