NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Untitled-2.png

Google Play Music has been discontinued. The YouTube music interface is horrible, it's features are lacking compared to Google Play Music, it doesn't integrate your uploading music with the streaming music particularly well, playlists are a pain to create.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

Untitled-2.png

Google Play Music has been discontinued. The YouTube music interface is horrible, it's features are lacking compared to Google Play Music, it doesn't integrate your uploading music with the streaming music particularly well, playlists are a pain to create.

Yup, I lost access about month ago(?), and I refused to use Youtube Music out of principal. Tried Apple Music trial which lets you upload your own library but of course it doesn't support flac which most of my music is.

I ended up buying an MP3 player earlier in the year when I first heard Google were killing GPM, but later got an Apple Watch which I didn't know you could stream music from so I thought that would be nice to have 1 less device at the gym, but paying to upload my own music to a service and then downloading it onto the watch seems bizarre.

• Like 1

Unfortunately YouTube Music seems to be the best option for me, even though it's a significant downgrade. You can still use playlists of your own plus streamed music (even though they're not as easy to set up), and it works with all my other devices. 

That said, I seem to be able to use Google Play Music again...probably not for long, but I'll be using it as long as I possibly can.

Managed to fall down the stairs yesterday and fuck up my side. Pretty sure it’s just muscle damage but still in a lot of pain. Trying to sleep last night was fun!

• Sad 1

Boiler broke yesterday, which is perfect timing for the cold spell we're having.  2nd time it's broke in a month, first time was December some point overnight.  Woke to no power, so played around with some switches to find it was the boiler then.  Had it fixed, worked again until yesterday.  Luckily we've got an immersion tank for hot water, and we've got some heaters the landlord dropped round (give him credit where it's due here).  He's sorting a new boiler out for next week hopefully.

• Cake maker has dropped out of the wedding. Today, for April. Probably not going ahead with it anyway, fuck it. 
  • Still got pain in my jaw, so forking out for the dentist again tomorrow, been nearly a year with that. 
  • Private hospital hasn't gotten back to me. 
  • Dad ended up in hospital last week and is now being referred to the stroke unit.

I'm fucking out, y'all who said 2021 would be better, LIED. 

2 hours ago, nightwolf said:
  • Cake maker has dropped out of the wedding. Today, for April. Probably not going ahead with it anyway, fuck it. 
  • Still got pain in my jaw, so forking out for the dentist again tomorrow, been nearly a year with that. 
  • Private hospital hasn't gotten back to me. 
  • Dad ended up in hospital last week and is now being referred to the stroke unit.

I'm fucking out, y'all who said 2021 would be better, LIED. 

i truly feel for you, and people who are looking to get married any time soon.  I don't forsee big weddings being possible in 2021.  My sister got married in august 2020 and was talking about an actual "ceremony" as such on their first wedding anniversary which would be august, and i'm sure even that isnt likely to happen.  We all thought this would be over and done with by the time winter rolled around... how wrong we were :blank:

My best friend got married last hear and she and her wife's ceremony is currently booked for September, but they doubt it will happen then. 

@nightwolf I hope your dad's condition improves. 

Thank you both, its likely it'll be 2022 now. After initially booking for April 2020. I mostly cannot be bothered with it, the day which we had arranged was basically done (as we went into lockdown just a few weeks before we were due to marry).

In reality its the least of my worries over my health and my Dad's, but its fucked me off either way. 

• Like 1

Coli bacteria have been found in the tap water in our city. :blank:
We've been advised to boil the water before use.

@drahkon is there an update? 

Dad is ok, he's had every test under the sun so far and it seems like at the very least its not cancer and not a stroke. So it seems like potentially just dangerously high blood pressure over a long period of time. The stupid thing is that everyone was worried I had the same, but I have the exact opposite issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, nightwolf said:

@drahkon is there an update?

Yeah, it's all good now. No need to boil the water anymore :D

Happy to hear about your dad being OK again :)

• Like 2

A concert/tour that's been delayed multiple times over the past 10 months has now been cancelled for good.

While I kinda knew this was inevitable I was still holding out hope :(

Oh well, hope IAMX will be able to do live shows next year.

Fingers crossed for 2022. I think its probably fair to say that most things this year are just not going to happen.

As expected, the NHS has cancelled another appointment, so this time round it'll be in May. Which likely will also be cancelled. I can't say I'm surprised, but sad, I do not want to put myself in to debt to get help. But at the current rate it'll be 2 years before I get any treatment and we don't have enough time to wait that long.

The guage on our oil tank musy have broken sometime last year as we ran out of oil unexpectedly last week so no heating in the house at the moment. Hasn't been too bad the last few days but now we're starting to hit zero I'm bloody freezing!

the-shining-cold.jpg.824x0_q71_crop-scal

29 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The guage on our oil tank musy have broken sometime last year as we ran out of oil unexpectedly last week so no heating in the house at the moment. Hasn't been too bad the last few days but now we're starting to hit zero I'm bloody freezing!

the-shining-cold.jpg.824x0_q71_crop-scal

Makes you feel for people who lived before central heating! If you have an old tv lurking somewhere, I find they are pretty effective heaters, in a small room that is reasonably insulated they should be able to push things up a few degrees. Also, moderate exercise is good at warming you up, they aren't called calories for nothing! How long before you get a top up on your oil?

5 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

Makes you feel for people who lived before central heating! If you have an old tv lurking somewhere, I find they are pretty effective heaters, in a small room that is reasonably insulated they should be able to push things up a few degrees. Also, moderate exercise is good at warming you up, they aren't called calories for nothing! How long before you get a top up on your oil?

Should hopefully be next week. We’ve got a few electric heaters going so they’re helping in spots and thankfully we have an immersion heater so still have hot water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Should hopefully be next week. We’ve got a few electric heaters going so they’re helping in spots and thankfully we have an immersion heater so still have hot water.

Oh geez! Keep an eye on that immersion heater, that shit gets pricey iirc. (Though certainly better than being cold!) 

10 minutes ago, nightwolf said:

Oh geez! Keep an eye on that immersion heater, that shit gets pricey iirc. (Though certainly better than being cold!) 

We only leave it on for about an hour a day.

• Like 1

Having some boiler issues myself.  Started back in December, woke up to no power in the flat.  Process of elimination sourced it to the boiler (switched everything off, then switched things back on one by one).  Messaged the landlord, he bought over some heaters (luckily have an immersion for hot water as back-up, only have it on maximum an hour a day).  Problem fixed by an engineer, who noticed the drainage pipe from the boiler and condensate pipe was clogged.  So cleared these out, which should have been done during the yearly service.  January, it goes again.  This time, one of the 2 valves in the airing cupboard broke (the one providing hot water from the boiler).  Again, messaged the landlord and was fixed. 

New issue started Tuesday.  Boiler started firing up outside of the times we had it set to run, which was weird.  Walking past the airing cupboard, could here the pump running.  No heating or hot water being provided, so weird why it was running.  This time, we've got 2 heaters ourselves as we've had issues (one in the living room, one which we use between the office and bedroom).  The airing cupboard itself had a weird smell, sort of a cross between damp, burning and stale cigarette smoke.  Messaged the landlord again, said about the issue.  He popped over, caught the smell and wasn't sure what it was.  Messaged the engineer, still waiting for him to come out.  In the meantime, it was worrying me a lot so i called a friend whose a boiler engineer and went through some things.  Even he said the pump seems on the way out, and will need changing and the electrics checked.  It's all been switched off as i don't fancy waking up to a burst pump.

So, yay.  Cold nights and outside some electric heaters, no boiler for heat.

We finally got our oil delivery yesterday but not unexpectedly, the boiler wouldn't start afterwards. Got an engineer coming today to sort it so hopefully the heating should be back on sometime later.

Car failed the MOT. Failed on so many items, we basically have to scrap it and buy a new one!

Update on our boiler issues.  Electric board in the cupboard is faulty, it's sending a signal to the pump to run consistent and the boiler to fire up.  We had the heating valve changed, and in the process the boiler guy fried the hot water valve he replaced a few weeks ago.

Electrician out on Monday to check all the wiring out, possible rewiring needed.  Landlord had to give the go ahead, but had little choice really.

We can use the boiler, but have to cut the power after we've heated the flat through, otherwise it'll never go off even if we switch the heat setting off

Edited by Jimbob
More info

PSX-20210214-142926.jpg

The only reason I started this car was to jump start the other one. 

On the plus side, a metal replacement is dirt cheap and as I'll have to remove the rest of the plastic, it finally gives me a decent reason to buy a Dremel.

Finally, after a few weeks of dealing with a software and theory it was time to go back to the lab and do some experiments.
Today I went in 'cause I wanted to prepare some solutions/buffers/etc.

I managed to prepare one (out of 9) before the water was turned off without any warning. Turns out that the thingy that produces distilled water is fucked so the entire building was without water (that could be used for work). This also made it impossible for us to get more Milli-Q H2O (which I tend to use) as the machine is connected to our distilled water line.

We have no idea how long it'll take to fix. Hopefully just a few days...

Edited by drahkon