NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Well my dad was taken into hospital at 3:00am this morning with encephalitis.

19 minutes ago, martinist said:

Shit, sorry to hear that. Hope he makes a full recovery and gets better soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martinist said:

My thoughts are with you @martinist I'm sending some positive thoughts your dad's way, I believe that he'll get better.

Plenty of rest seems to be the best thing, along with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and keeping hydrated, according to a bit of research; just mentioning in case it helps.

All the best to your family, and here's to your Dad's recovery.

If you want to talk, send me a PM.

• Like 1

Took a lumbar puncture last night and it turns out to be viral meningitis. They're just pumping him full of antibiotics, sounds alot better than yesterday though. Doctors said it's very treatable so he should be fine. Just layed up in hospital for a week or so.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, martinist said:

Took a lumbar puncture last night and it turns out to be viral meningitis. They're just pumping him full of antibiotics, sounds alot better than yesterday though. Doctors said it's very treatable so he should be fine. Just layed up in hospital for a week or so.

Meningitis is not fun, but it sounds like they've dealt with it early and quickly. Good luck, hope he makes a full recovery! 

• Like 1

On 15.8.2020 at 8:15 PM, MindFreak said:

So - an update is due. They finally finished analysing on Wednesday and they found three things: One line of cells with totally normal chromosomes (for a boy, XY). One with another X chromosome (Klinefelter, XXY). And one line with another Y chromosome (XYY). When they see this combination of cells, they know from research that 87 % of the fetuses that have this are completely normal. So the case was that the placenta has some chromosomes and cells different from the fetus itself (and the mother, which is seen in 1-2 % of the cases they analyse). On Wednesday, the doctors will take a sample directly from the fetus (or rather, the amniotic fluid it swims in) and hopefully, we are in the 87 % with a normal baby. 

While this wasn't quite the answer we hoped or expected, it was a relief. 87 % is quite a lot so our hopes are rather high. It will hurt if we fall into the 13 % and we shall see to what extent the condition amounts to (i.e. Klinefelter or double Y syndrome or just a small mosaic which doesn't mean much).

We'll get the final answer to that in about 3 weeks - meaning that my wife will be halfway through her pregnancy at that point.

Final update - we got the final answers yesterday. So... We lost the lottery and landed in the 13 % that are not normal. They then continued the analysis and found that most of the cells that they have analyzed have the XXY chromosome disorder (92 cells out of 100 cells randomly picked out). So we have to accept that our baby has Klinefelter to some degree. 75 % of those are only diagnosed when they try to get children themselves so we hope to at least land in that category! Also, now that we know we can take counter measures - give testosterone in pre-puberty to help normal, "manly" development.

The doctors tried to make it seem less bad by saying that the cells they analyse come from the skin, urine ways and lungs so the distribution of bad cells may be different around the vital areas (organs, penis, brain) but I just see that as a way to comfort us with some fake hope. Not gonna fall for that.

So all in all - it sucks but well, we hope to just have a mild case that wouldn't have been found had we not gone through these things.

But naturally, we are sad. We just wanted a normal baby now that we have tried so hard to fight the disease our son suffers from. It just feels incredibly unfair - and everyone around us says that as well. It especially seems unfair since so many people get healthy babies - and by that I mean drug addicts and such. 

Oh well. Life goes on. But it could probably have been worse.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Final update - we got the final answers yesterday. So... We lost the lottery and landed in the 13 % that are not normal. They then continued the analysis and found that most of the cells that they have analyzed have the XXY chromosome disorder (92 cells out of 100 cells randomly picked out). So we have to accept that our baby has Klinefelter to some degree. 75 % of those are only diagnosed when they try to get children themselves so we hope to at least land in that category! Also, now that we know we can take counter measures - give testosterone in pre-puberty to help normal, "manly" development.

The doctors tried to make it seem less bad by saying that the cells they analyse come from the skin, urine ways and lungs so the distribution of bad cells may be different around the vital areas (organs, penis, brain) but I just see that as a way to comfort us with some fake hope. Not gonna fall for that.

So all in all - it sucks but well, we hope to just have a mild case that wouldn't have been found had we not gone through these things.

But naturally, we are sad. We just wanted a normal baby now that we have tried so hard to fight the disease our son suffers from. It just feels incredibly unfair - and everyone around us says that as well. It especially seems unfair since so many people get healthy babies - and by that I mean drug addicts and such. 

Its incredibly unfair and it sucks ass that you're unable to have a healthy baby you both want so much. I've no doubt from reading your posts/updates that this little one is going to have the best life and be so loved and cared for. I have everything crossed for you and your partner.  

I don't want to follow this with my own bad things much, so I'll keep it brief. The job I was hoping for went to a colleague that truly, truly doesn't deserve it, that's work for you sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear it wasn’t the results you were after @MindFreak. Hopefully the condition is as mild as can be and you have a healthy baby. It sounds like you’re doing everything you can to ensure the kids have a good family so that’s much more than many already.

• Thanks 1

Lumbago strikes again.

Happened last night during football and now my back hurts like hell. Gonna be some fun two weeks again :(

On 05/09/2020 at 6:31 PM, MindFreak said:

I'm so sorry, i was really hoping for the best for you.  Hopefully it is minor, like you say. Expect the worst, hope for the best.  Good to be realistic.

-- 

I got unlucky with the gene pool.  There are various auto immune conditions in my family, and I seem to have got every single one of them and some more.  My sister came out perfect, not thing wrong. I swear she belongs to the postman, that or I used up all the faulty genes first :indeed: 

My entire family carry a lot of guilt about it... my sister would carry the pain i have in a heartbeat.  My mum was by my side at every appointment growing up, and my dad hates that i miss out on "normality".  Had a real moment with my dad at my sisters wedding yesterday... checking that I wasn't too down...  "you know you're as special to me as your sister is". 

--

I have to say I agree with Rez, 2020 is a big pile of shit.   I thought 2018 was gonna be my worst year for a long time (having a breathing crisis and nearly ending up in ICU, with a still undetermined condition) but 2020 and that corona came and topped it all.  Shielding sucks, working in the NHS sucks, my physical and mental health is in the negative right now :cry:

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Raining_again said:

I have to say I agree with Rez, 2020 is a big pile of shit.   I thought 2018 was gonna be my worst year for a long time (having a breathing crisis and nearly ending up in ICU, with a still undetermined condition) but 2020 and that corona came and topped it all.  Shielding sucks, working in the NHS sucks, my physical and mental health is in the negative right now :cry:

It really sucks that you (and many others) are having to deal with so much. For a lot of people this year is, at best, one to forget, and at worst the very worst year ever. Hopefully things will start getting better soon, and remember everyone here can support each other as much as possible.

So further to my post in the exercise thread, that muscle that I thought I'd pulled a week ago, yeah my GP thinks I've cracked a rib. Well done me. Had a callback appointment this morning with him as I had a rough day yesterday with it and its just becoming really difficult to go about simple things, like sleeping as its really uncomfortable no matter how I lie.

Having to arrange blood tests to see whether my medication for my stomach issues has caused any issues with calcium absorption but could be 2 weeks before I get an appointment for that. If that comes back fine then we'll have to go from there and see whats what but given my GP's laissez-faire attitude to things, I'll probably just get told it was a stress fracture and thats it. He'll ignore that despite nearly 2 months of strength training that my shoulders, hips and knee joints seem worse and I have little strength in them.

As bad as it would be to have blood tests come back saying there's low calcium, at least it would force my doctors hand in having to deal with what's been happening with my stomach for 2 and a half years at this point and see whether family liver issues might be at the root of it or whether there's an issue with my pancreas or gallbladder.

So yeah, a fun couple of weeks ahead for me healing up. Will still try and get some aerobic exercise in. I've a pedal machine so I guess that'll be getting used heavily in the next few weeks to keep up with things, and I'll do basic resistance band and weight work but its going to be an uncomfortable couple of weeks but hopefully get some positive out of it if my doctor bothers to get to the bottom of the issue.

I hope they figure it out soon and you have a speedy recovery.

My old housemate had a pretty serious issue with his doctors. Pretty much three days after I moved into his house, he went to his doctor regarding some tests he had done at the hospital a few weeks previously.

He got there and the doctor hadn't actually looked at the test results or even chase them. He had to phone the hospital there. 

Turns out they had sent a message to the doctor two weeks previously saying that the results showed a heart infection and my housemate should have been told to go into hospital then. 

He then spent 5 months in hospital being pumped of antibiotics with no improvement, then a space opened up in another hospital where he was able to get surgery done and was back home a week after that.

went to speech therapy yesterday... changed tactics from exercises to work the vocal muscles, to preservation tactics to work the muscles less...  By the nature of the appointment i had to express my symptoms, answer questions, my voice is fucked today.  My throat usually doesn't hurt, but it does today from being pushed so hard.

Back to waiting forever until i get an appointment w rhem and neuro. :cry:

• Sad 2

On 17/09/2020 at 6:07 PM, Raining_again said:

went to speech therapy yesterday... changed tactics from exercises to work the vocal muscles, to preservation tactics to work the muscles less...  By the nature of the appointment i had to express my symptoms, answer questions, my voice is fucked today.  My throat usually doesn't hurt, but it does today from being pushed so hard.

Back to waiting forever until i get an appointment w rhem and neuro. :cry:

I hope its feeling a little better this week lovely. Let me know how you are.

Things have been a mess this week, oh my lord and its only Monday.

Went to go to my second MRI appointment this morning, my hospital had referred me to a private hospital as there are overloaded at the moment. I had no letter, so rang the NHS hospital on Saturday to confirm everything was ok.

Get there today and the poor staff at the private hospital had no idea about me. Instead of sending me home they accommodated me and some, I was supposed to be there at 9 and by 9:12 I was being called in for an MRI. Apparently one of the staff told me that her boss was sending some snotty emails to the team back at my NHS hospital, as this wasn't the first (or second time) this had happened. What irks me is this hospital was SO good, I told them if it wasn't a re-occurring issue I'd have had my surgery and consultations with them. So I've looked into my private healthcare to ensure I can use those doctors and hospital going forward and I can.

Then I finally get my interview invite. After asking them to accommodate me in the mornings as I have night shift all week this week, they were unable to help me - at all. So now I have interviews 12pm until 5pm with a night-shift that starts at 8pm (and a morning shift until 11am). Given interviews go both ways I've been really unimpressed so far. To interview with 6 people in one day and to also then find the timings makes me feel a bit miffed. I'm sure it isn't like that, but I feel its not the best first (second, third) impression. So we shall see. 

Overall, I'm tired and really eager for Thursday afternoon when I'm finally off the clock and have no interviews/appointments/other to get too. 

3 hours ago, nightwolf said:

I hope its feeling a little better this week lovely. Let me know how you are.

Things have been a mess this week, oh my lord and its only Monday.

Went to go to my second MRI appointment this morning, my hospital had referred me to a private hospital as there are overloaded at the moment. I had no letter, so rang the NHS hospital on Saturday to confirm everything was ok.

Get there today and the poor staff at the private hospital had no idea about me. Instead of sending me home they accommodated me and some, I was supposed to be there at 9 and by 9:12 I was being called in for an MRI. Apparently one of the staff told me that her boss was sending some snotty emails to the team back at my NHS hospital, as this wasn't the first (or second time) this had happened. What irks me is this hospital was SO good, I told them if it wasn't a re-occurring issue I'd have had my surgery and consultations with them. So I've looked into my private healthcare to ensure I can use those doctors and hospital going forward and I can.

Then I finally get my interview invite. After asking them to accommodate me in the mornings as I have night shift all week this week, they were unable to help me - at all. So now I have interviews 12pm until 5pm with a night-shift that starts at 8pm (and a morning shift until 11am). Given interviews go both ways I've been really unimpressed so far. To interview with 6 people in one day and to also then find the timings makes me feel a bit miffed. I'm sure it isn't like that, but I feel its not the best first (second, third) impression. So we shall see. 

Overall, I'm tired and really eager for Thursday afternoon when I'm finally off the clock and have no interviews/appointments/other to get too. 

Slowly getting back to a "normal" for me.  I'll be looking into my private health care options too.  I hope you get sorted.  I'm really not surprised about the fuck ups.  No one communicates across the board. Scant info logged in patients notes so leaving a mystery trail for other consultants.  fine if you only have to see one single professional that knows you, as was me for 15 years in dermatology, but when the baton gets handed to different professionals in the same team, different disciplines, different hospitals.... ugh. its a nightmare. 

The job thing... is this your current employer or new potential? that's a big old red flag.  If they cant accommodate a fecking interview what are they going to be like when you ACTUALLY need time off for this potential op and recovery. :angry:

Edited by Raining_again
  • Like 1

I'm getting people going private a lot at work over here too. The bit that always staggers me is that some patients believe this is some sort of weapon/threat: "I understand there's a delay, but if I don't get a date soon I'm going to have to go private..." - Good! I tell them to go for it, if they feel their need is great enough they shouldn't wait, because outside of a trip to A&E, they have no choice but to sit tight.

A shame it's come to this, but can't be helped.

3 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I'm getting people going private a lot at work over here too. The bit that always staggers me is that some patients believe this is some sort of weapon/threat: "I understand there's a delay, but if I don't get a date soon I'm going to have to go private..." - Good! I tell them to go for it, if they feel their need is great enough they shouldn't wait, because outside of a trip to A&E, they have no choice but to sit tight.

Absolutely, I love the NHS for what it is, but my stance is now "if you can get this done privately, do it". Unfortunately I cannot, because my health insurance doesn't cover such a huge pre-existing condition and I don't have 10 grand lying around. But I would/will almost certainly use the hell out of it for anything else. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Its like they think the plebs like us that answer the phone have any control of waiting lists.... laughable

even we as nhs staff rarely get any benefits, no queue skipping, the only thing my trust has is a special occ health physio dept, and sometime the wait for it can be just as long with so many manual handling type injuries in health care. :blank: 

oh yeah i have had crushing chest pain since December, i was taken to ED and they checked my heart and basic bloods, and sent me home.  No treatment and no answers.

Edited by Raining_again
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Raining_again said:

Its like they think the plebs like us that answer the phone have any control of waiting lists.... laughable

I also think that they think it's some sort of scare tactic, like saying you're going to take your business elsewhere

"I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go private as it's taking too long."

"Oh you said the magic word, look at that! You can come in tomorrow now! Please don't go private, I beg you"

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 2:52 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

I also think that they think it's some sort of scare tactic, like saying you're going to take your business elsewhere

"I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go private as it's taking too long."

"Oh you said the magic word, look at that! You can come in tomorrow now! Please don't go private, I beg you"

omgg i'm in so much trouble I lost a patient fakjfklsdjflkjsdflkjsdf

:laughing:

I've had a bad week....

Speech therapy...  not hugely successful. I'm trying really hard with the exercises and my lung, throat and chest all hurt right now.  They've told me I could very well end up with pneumonia.

I had a very close call on wednesday night.  My breadmaker was sitting on top of my kitchen stove, one of the cats jumped up and managed to turn the dials to the hob.  my other cat was crying at an alarming pitch and I turned around to my kitchen being full of smoke.  Thankfully I got straight into rescue mode, turned off the stove, got the cats outside.  Made a run for it with molten breadmaker outside after nearly being overcome by smoke fumes... got outside and threw it down and projectile vomited everywhere....probably seconds away from my kitchen going up in flames and my fire alarm didn't even register... 

Toxic plastic smoke sure is good for someone with a sensitive throat and breathing issues :cry:

oh and bosses boss been tested positive for covid, she's been in our office and didn't wear a fucking mask.  what an utter nob. 

A chunk of one of my wisdom teeth just decided to go solo and break off. Doesn’t hurt thank god but looks like the tooth is dead inside so that’s going to need to be removed. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover dental so looking like a $2k bill to have that sorted out.

• Sad 1