NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Wanted to get a nice zombie dragon/terrorgheist model finished off whilst in lockdown... and one of the wings has disappeared. They're about 10 inches long at their longest point so are not normally easy to mislay. So choices are to rebuy  set (cheapest at the moment is £15, which then leaves with an opposite wing/body spare. Or crafting a new one out of various bits, which might be more of a ballache than it's worth.

The real issues.

The stage musical of Cats is free on YouTube. Thought I'd give it a go and see what everybody pays stupid money to watch when it's on in theatres. Honestly never thought I'd say this but it makes the film look decent (and that takes effort).

Am I missing something? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Haha, I've always wondered why it's so popular too, I remember as a kid my Nan going on about it like it was the best thing ever. Following your review of it, I'm now keen to watch it myself!

• Haha 1

I've seen neither the musical or the film but I feel like I learnt what I needed to from the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend parody.

tumblr_plb0ayGn3S1qh0nwmo2_500.gifv

On 5/16/2020 at 3:21 AM, will' said:

Haha, I've always wondered why it's so popular too, I remember as a kid my Nan going on about it like it was the best thing ever. Following your review of it, I'm now keen to watch it myself!

If you're serious, I've actually found the full performance on YouTube, lmao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4p-ML7jmzk&list=PLxqU12OxgZ_oPj8PYA7j1oXeo5CulObZZ&index=1 (it should be a playlist and continue playing. It looks chopped up but it's actually the full play...good luck, lmao)

Honestly, I first watched the film with an open mind. I actually like musicals and I had never seen Cats at the time so I watched it in the cinemas and there were two songs that I liked (Beautiful Ghosts and Memory) but other than that, there was hardly any plot, the story made zero sense and even now, if I had to describe to you what the film is about, I just honestly couldn't. I felt like I was watching someone's deepest, darkest nightmare. I think if they didn't make it about cats (I know but hear me out), tweaked the lyrics on some songs and completely miss out a few songs, you may get a little bit of story. It was just a mess for me and although I listen to the two songs from it, I hated it.

With that in mind, I was watching the plays on The Shows Must Go On's YouTube channel as every week, they put on a free stage production and leave it on there for a day or two. This week's was Cats. I thought to myself that maybe the stage production will be better because normally, the source material is. If I'm being honest, this left me more confused than the film and there was only ONE decent song in it (Memory) as Beautiful Ghosts was written by Taylor Swift especially for the movie! So out of the whole two hours of LITERALLY non-stop singing and dancing dressed as cats with barely any plot, any character and...I really don't know what I watched...I can't put it in to words. I felt like it should've been a very short segment from Alice in Wonderland or something (or the American McGee's Alice as it was just as freaky and the cats could probably pass as the Chesire Cat's brothers or sisters or something, they were that crazy).

Honestly, Andrew Lloyd Webber must be laughing! I've seen a lot of musicals (not live, unfortunately, but on film or DVDs of stage productions) and I can name way better musicals than this (The Lion King, Wicked, Annie, Oliver, Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Hairspray, etc) and yet this sells out like crazy. I might make a musical called Dogs or something. I'm obviously missing out, haha.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, Ashley said:

I've seen neither the musical or the film but I feel like I learnt what I needed to from the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend parody.

tumblr_plb0ayGn3S1qh0nwmo2_500.gifv

Oh my God, that was hilarious! The look he gives was exactly the look I gave at my telly whilst it was on, haha.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:31 PM, Animal said:

The stage musical of Cats is free on YouTube. Thought I'd give it a go and see what everybody pays stupid money to watch when it's on in theatres. Honestly never thought I'd say this but it makes the film look decent (and that takes effort).

Am I missing something? 

Seeing a live performance is far better than watching a recorded performance. I don't really know how to explain it, but the fact people pay a lot of money to see performing arts live rather than waiting for a recording of it speaks volumes enough for that.

Musicals in general - people either seem to love them or hate them. On the whole I enjoy them but only if I actually know the music in advance.

Seeing a live performance is far better than watching a recorded performance. I don't really know how to explain it, but the fact people pay a lot of money to see performing arts live rather than waiting for a recording of it speaks volumes enough for that.
Musicals in general - people either seem to love them or hate them. On the whole I enjoy them but only if I actually know the music in advance.
I think he was asking why people would pay money to see Cats at the theatre, rather than theatre in general.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bob said:
23 hours ago, Charlie said:

I think he was asking why people would pay money to see Cats at the theatre, rather than theatre in general.

Yeah. I didn't mean performing arts in general but the actual show, Cats, itself.

My eye did a weird thing.

On the plus side, i look like Grand Admiral Thrawn.

6b247c04b6d156c7eae724bb70260ce8.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 5:43 PM, bob said:

My eye did a weird thing.

On the plus side, i look like Grand Admiral Thrawn.

6b247c04b6d156c7eae724bb70260ce8.jpg

reminds me of the mario kart "8" just in red not blue.

150px-Crazy8MK8.png

[mention=229]bob[/mention], what happened? 
Nothing much, what happened with you?

2 minutes ago, bob said:
14 minutes ago, Sméagol said:
[mention=229]bob[/mention], what happened? 

Nothing much, what happened with you?

Whoops, didn't see the date it was posted. I was curious about your eye.

Whoops, didn't see the date it was posted. I was curious about your eye.
Oh that. It just, happened. No idea what caused it, but it's cleared up now.

Apparently that answer causes your boss to get suspicious though, and start accusing your wife of domestic violence.
  • Like 1
  • Weird 1

Sold something on ebay. Sent it without tracking. Buyer claims it never arrived (doubt that's true). Now I gotta repay him. Nothing I can do ::shrug:

45€ and the item down the drain.

Sold and sent so many items without tracking...never a problem. But...lesson learned...never again without tracking. :nono:

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Sold something on ebay. Sent it without tracking. Buyer claims it never arrived (doubt that's true). Now I gotta repay him. Nothing I can do ::shrug:

45€ and the item down the drain.

Sold and sent so many items without tracking...never a problem. But...lesson learned...never again without tracking. :nono:

I've had something similar happen, sold a sealed game, put it in the post via Large Letter, it got there but... somehow the game got damaged in transit, as in... there was a hole which went through the seal of the game and into the plastic of the case, never had that happen before. ::shrug:

The person ordered it because they wanted to keep it as a sealed game, so I just let them have a full refund and keep the game.

Now if I send a game just in the post and it's in new condition, I'd tend to wrap it in thin card AND a bubble wrap envelope just in case, or if it's over a certain amount, just wrap it well and let it go as a small parcel, I've never really had anything go missing before or get damaged, that was the first and hopefully the last time.

I have lost money on eBay before as well, but again, just the once and looking back, it was one of those deals which seemed too good to be true, lesson learned there.

If it's a cheap game though, for £5 - £10 I'd probably still send that in the post, as the difference in price can be as much as double, but yeah, it is a bit annoying if it goes wrong.

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

lesson learned there.

Definitely.

I mean, I can live without those 45 bucks. It means I won't buy another game for at least this month, but it's not like I won't get by without the money. I work part time so it does sting a little, though.
Anyways, next time I'll invest a little more into sending stuff with tracking.

Man, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definite Edition sure went from 10/10 to fucking disaster in less than a month :laughing:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Definitely.

I mean, I can live without those 45 bucks. It means I won't buy another game for at least this month, but it's not like I won't get by without the money. I work part time so it does sting a little, though.
Anyways, next time I'll invest a little more into sending stuff with tracking.

Man, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definite Edition sure went from 10/10 to fucking disaster in less than a month :laughing:

Out of interest, when did you send the game and how long did the person who had bought it wait to inform you that it was apparently lost?

If it was a week or two, it probably did go missing, presumably they had already waited the alotted amount of days?

Plenty of items have gone missing recently I'd wager, but a lot more have just got delayed, so if it was just a few days, there's always the chance it could have still turned up.

It's hard to know without tracking though, and even then, things can go wrong even with tracking, so it's not a completely safe system and even if something does go missing when tracked, there's a who process you need to go through with whoever you posted it with, to even get a chance of a refund.

As a general rule though, I'd go with... £5 - £10 or so, if it can go Large Letter, stick a stamp on it, £20 +, probably best to track it, £40, definitely track it, £50 - £100+ fully insured postage.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Out of interest, when did you send the game and how long did the person who had bought it wait to inform you that it was apparently lost?

If it was a week or two, it probably did go missing, presumably they had already waited the alotted amount of days?

It's been two weeks now. The buyer asked if I could provide a tracking number a few days ago, but obviously I couldn't do that. Now I got the request for a refund. I'm a cynic, which is why I still doubt that the game hasn't arrived :p
There's also the problem that I only accepted PayPal as the payment option and apparently you (as a seller) will always be on the bad end if something goes wrong, unless you send the item with tracking.

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

£20 +, probably best to track it, £40, definitely track it, £50 - £100+ fully insured postage.

Yeah, that's what I'll do from now on. It's the first time this happened in about 30-40 game sales I've done. As I said, it stings a little but meh. I learned my lesson.

• Thanks 1

I bought a TV off eBay years ago, and only the stand turned up. Delivery email said that there were two parcels in the shipment, and only one turned up. Still don't know what happened to the TV. Ended up splitting the lost cost with the seller. Don't know if they scammed me, or if the postman stole it...

Had a football match last night and it was terrible.

We played horribly for the first half, but that wasn't the biggest problem. The opposing team was just unfair, vulgar and unnecessarily aggressive. I have nothing against an aggressive play style. Hell, sometimes I do it because I got no other choice.
But yesterday...half of the opposing team just tackled without regards for health. That's not fun. Especially since this is just a hobby league...and it was a friendly match.

We won in the end (with a classic 8:6) but once we equalized it got worse...we were close to just leaving the pitch.

Needless to say, we will never again organize a friendly against them. :nono:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Had a football match last night and it was terrible.

We played horribly for the first half, but that wasn't the biggest problem. The opposing team was just unfair, vulgar and unnecessarily aggressive. I have nothing against an aggressive play style. Hell, sometimes I do it because I got no other choice.
But yesterday...half of the opposing team just tackled without regards for health. That's not fun. Especially since this is just a hobby league...and it was a friendly match.

We won in the end (with a classic 8:6) but once we equalized it got worse...we were close to just leaving the pitch.

Needless to say, we will never again organize a friendly against them. :nono:

I hated the sort of people who would turn up to a friendly football kick-about and take it way too seriously. Calm the fuck down guys, it's just a game!