NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Do you not end up looking like one of those inflatable sumo costumes though?

55 minutes ago, bob said:

Do you not end up looking like one of those inflatable sumo costumes though?

I could live with it

I'm grateful I'm currently living alone. My 'window' is the patio door and I don't want to leave that open all night but thankfully I could leave my bedroom door open and the sheets off. 

Plus it is thankfully cool in my flat. 

I've got an old tower fan temporarily propped up on top of a sub-woofer, it's only on a low fan setting and that seems to be working well.

The weather here has definitely been pretty warm recently though.

We bought a 2 foot tall fan the size of a airplane prop a few years ago and have no regrets. Put it on max setting and all our belongings end up on the opposite side of the room, but it's so gloriously cool.

My friend and I have been waiting since announcements to watch the live-action Lion King. We got VIP seats, bought the swanky popcorn from Tesco, bought drinks and even managed to get tickets in the biggest screen. Sorted. 

Well, it was fine until a woman and a man with literally seven kids came in the cinema on the left of us. It started with her ranting and raving where everyone sat. Me and my mate looked at each other like 'what the fuck' but I said "she's gonna settle before the film, it'll totally be fine". Sidenote: A woman came in with a newborn baby! I've seen people bring babies in prams to the cinema, which is a bit hit and miss with me but an actual newborn? WTF! Would you do that? I'd have thought it'd damage their hearing or something. 

Anyway, with the other kids, during the trailers, they were good as gold.

The actual movie came on and I'm sitting here living my best life listening to Circle of Life when out of nowhere, a really high pitched scream came, like someone got stabbed or something. EVERYONE jumped. We look around to find it's one of the kids. The mom tells her to stop misbehaving and she said "I'm bored! I wanted to watch another film" but she basically told her off and settled her down. Dad done fuck all. 20 minutes later, same thing again but louder. Everyone kinda groans but says nothing. Calms her down and it's the end of it. She starts randomly screaming and the mom decided to do nothing. It got to a point where she made other kids cry because they couldn't watch the film either. A parent leaned forward to the parents and asked her to calm her daughter down because she's upsetting his kids as they wanted to see the film. Her response was "I want to see the film too. If you leave her, she will be quiet in a bit. It's because she's bored". I was thinking "for real? You ain't stopped her for fucking 40 minutes but okay"... Five minutes on, she's still screaming and now Beyonce is screaming in Can You Feel the Love Tonight and me and my mate just said "fuck this" and left. 

We went to the manager of the place and I said "I get its a family film and kids want to watch it but in my 18 years of going here, I've never once got to a point where I've made a complaint. Its just terrible. The kid is screaming over the speakers and the parents aren't doing anything and it's got to a point she's made near enough half of the kids in the cinema cry". He gave me and my mate complimentary tickets because the film was on for over the halftime. He suggested I watched Fast and Furious and I said "it's not a proper Fast and Furious film" and laughed and added "I will watch it though but we paid to watch The Lion King. I literally come here once a week and watch a film", which is true because its cheap now. The manager was decent and tried to do everything he could so I was happy I got tickets. I look at the desk and nudged my mate to look. There was a load of tickets of the same showing and screen with either REFUND or SWAP on them.

But honestly, I've never experienced anything like it. We're waiting a couple of weeks before watching it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I was on a 5-hour flight with a baby behind me @Animal and it was pretty nightmarish. Making it worse was Captain Masculine in front of me - his friend was leaning over our seats to talk to him, and thrusting his nuts in Mrs Iun's face. When I said "Sorry, do you mind if my wife sits here while you lean over?" they got all "What did you say? What did you say?!" to me. 

Anyway, the baby stopped crying and I put my head on the tray table for a doze. Suddenly, Captain Masculine rams his seat back, clobbering me. I said a rude word and he decided we should "Sort things out when we got on the ground" and then used the Chinese version of the N-Word for white people. Which got Mrs Iun angry. Anyway, the guy was super masculine, as you can tell. Because he threatened me on a plane. Which makes him masculine. And not stupid. Because masculine people threaten people on planes. That's what they do.

Edited by Iun
  • Thanks 1

Bah I've got a cold. Was out meeting a friend for a coffee on Sunday and started to feel a bit run down and by the time we'd finished I felt full blown crappy. 

Called in sick the last two days but going to have to do a bit of work later as it needs to be done by Friday. 

Plus there's social things tomorrow and Thursday. Just terrible timing really. Stupid science, y u no cure common cold?

On 8/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, Iun said:

Yeah, I was on a 5-hour flight with a baby behind me @Animal and it was pretty nightmarish. Making it worse was Captain Masculine in front of me - his friend was leaning over our seats to talk to him, and thrusting his nuts in Mrs Iun's face. When I said "Sorry, do you mind if my wife sits here while you lean over?" they got all "What did you say? What did you say?!" to me. 

Anyway, the baby stopped crying and I put my head on the tray table for a doze. Suddenly, Captain Masculine rams his seat back, clobbering me. I said a rude word and he decided we should "Sort things out when we got on the ground" and then used the Chinese version of the N-Word for white people. Which got Mrs Iun angry. Anyway, the guy was super masculine, as you can tell. Because he threatened me on a plane. Which makes him masculine. And not stupid. Because masculine people threaten people on planes. That's what they do.

Oh my actual days! That's so rude! Most of these people are all talk. Cheeky fucker invades personal spaces and was racist and he wants to act like that? People make me mad.

Edited by Animal

Just realised travel from October 31st is going to be interesting. My last passport was renewed a few months before it expired, so should be valid until Jun 2020. However because of Brexit it appears in the Schengen area the actual expiry will count as 10 years after it was issued, so it expires in february.

I want to travel at Christmas to see my wife's family (probably travelling from France to a schengen country then to non EU countries that won't be affected by that rule) but prices are only going to go up... I have a French ID card, was thinking about booking flights on my passport and then going with my ID card as proof I am able to be in the Schengen area, but not sure it wouldn't be safer to just get a french passport, but obviously that means we have to postpone buying tickets longer and prices are already on the limit of what we can sensibly afford :|

Bit disappointed in the lack of people moaning a out the heat here these days. I'm melting 🥵

Ugh. Fell into a trap and bought something from a fraud that I probably wont receive. I didn't do my homework and checked this person beforehand but when I got suspicious, I did and didn't find anything good. I wanted to buy a secondary Switch dock and this guy was offering one for about £30 including the charger. Thought it was a good deal but nothing unrealistically low so went ahead and paid the money, even though I was a little bit suspicious. And now he's stalling, saying stuff and can't provide proof that he has sent it and such, if he even answers my texts.

It's not about the money, really. It's not so much. It's the feeling of being cheated that's bothering me. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Ugh. Fell into a trap and bought something from a fraud that I probably wont receive. I didn't do my homework and checked this person beforehand but when I got suspicious, I did and didn't find anything good. I wanted to buy a secondary Switch dock and this guy was offering one for about £30 including the charger. Thought it was a good deal but nothing unrealistically low so went ahead and paid the money, even though I was a little bit suspicious. And now he's stalling, saying stuff and can't provide proof that he has sent it and such, if he even answers my texts.

It's not about the money, really. It's not so much. It's the feeling of being cheated that's bothering me. 

Ah, that sucks. :(

Was it on eBay via PayPal? If so then you can get your money back but if it was another online marketplace and no PayPal involved then... ::shrug:

I hope you can get your money back (even if it's not about the money, it's the principle) and I do understand as I lost out on something through eBay years ago to the tune of around £50.

Ever since then, I don't take any excuses from anyone, if the item hasn't been posted after a week with no communication then I'll always ask politely where the item is.

Then if they don't do anything within another week or so, usually eBay will give you your money back, years ago with the £50 item I believed the persons lies about needing more time.

I was strung along for not weeks but months and I've never forgotten about it since, it was for a game that you could get for £50 then but you sure as heck can't now.

These days I'll only tend to deal outside of eBay selling my own games or buying games/giving deals in good faith to people I trust as it's the only way.

But we live and learn from these experiences hopefully and in any case, I hope your situation has a better ending then mine. :peace:

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Ah, that sucks. :(

Was it on eBay via PayPal? If so then you can get your money back but if it was another online marketplace and no PayPal involved then... ::shrug:

I hope you can get your money back (even if it's not about the money, it's the principle) and I do understand as I lost out on something through eBay years ago to the tune of around £50.

Ever since then, I don't take any excuses from anyone, if the item hasn't been posted after a week with no communication then I'll always ask politely where the item is.

Then if they don't do anything within another week or so, usually eBay will give you your money back, years ago with the £50 item I believed the persons lies about needing more time.

I was strung along for not weeks but months and I've never forgotten about it since, it was for a game that you could get for £50 then but you sure as heck can't now.

These days I'll only tend to deal outside of eBay selling my own games or buying games/giving deals in good faith to people I trust as it's the only way.

But we live and learn from these experiences hopefully and in any case, I hope your situation has a better ending then mine. :peace:

Nah, it was a Danish marketplace and paid over the phone (we have something called MobilePay that lets you send money directly to other people, very clever). I am going to press charges towards him today but I'm a bit concerned about it as I have no proof other than his bad reputation online. I have asked for proof that he has sent the package as he claims but haven't given one in 24 hours - a reasonable amount of time to get it, I would think. Thing is, he used another person's MobilePay to get the money, claiming it was his girl friend but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to press charges towards her as well and that might make things more serious as he has used another person's identity which is a far worse crime than stealing money.

Yeah, it hurts my pride a bit but isn't anything serious and now I've learned a valuable lesson about online trades. And I was suspicious of him but thought that if it were legit, it was a very good deal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Nah, it was a Danish marketplace and paid over the phone (we have something called MobilePay that lets you send money directly to other people, very clever). I am going to press charges towards him today but I'm a bit concerned about it as I have no proof other than his bad reputation online. I have asked for proof that he has sent the package as he claims but haven't given one in 24 hours - a reasonable amount of time to get it, I would think. Thing is, he used another person's MobilePay to get the money, claiming it was his girl friend but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to press charges towards her as well and that might make things more serious as he has used another person's identity which is a far worse crime than stealing money.

Yeah, it hurts my pride a bit but isn't anything serious and now I've learned a valuable lesson about online trades. And I was suspicious of him but thought that if it were legit, it was a very good deal.

Ah I see, well you're doing the right thing by persuing it I think, especially as this person has clearly done it before by what you've described.

I hope this has a happy outcome and that something is done. :smile:

As it happens, I just had to message someone on eBay about an item which didn't turn up in over a week which hadn't been posted, just a £15 item but still.

They've just contacted me and I've found out the unfortunate reason, which does seem to be genuine sadly (sad because it's bad news and very unfortunate circumstances) so in this instance I am going to give them more time and I kind of feel bad for asking where the item is, even though I'm only doing this because of my past experience.

In this case, it's just a £15 item, one I probably didn't need as well I suppose but I'm pretty confident that their story adds up and it's just a very sad situation. :(

With the case where I was scammed years ago, I now know the pattern and I can tell that I was almost certainly blatantly lied to, this case is definitely different.

I'll keep you updated anyway... this might require a new thread topic about scams in general, I'd be interested to hear other forum members experiences, good or bad.

You didn't know that there was a sad reason behind the delay so your inquiry is totally justified, I'd say. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

You didn't know that there was a sad reason behind the delay so your inquiry is totally justified, I'd say. 

Document everything. Contact that marketplace, you should at least have proof that you actually bought something of this person. Save all communication, do it preferrably over e-mail or marketplace DMs, if you do phone, record the conversation.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

True, but still... in this instance I can't help but feel bad, I've closed the case and I've messaged the seller, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't think they were genuine.

What does make it tough though is that the way I was scammed years ago, the person used every excuse under the sun including really bad cirumstances.

This isn't the case here though, it's just genuinely the worst time for the person I've bought off at the moment, it's not just my item either, it's other peoples, I've checked and there definitely is a backlog of items waiting to be posted as there is no feedback for transactions past that certain date, I've told them that the item/cash involved isn't of vital importance, that I only opened a case because of my past experience on eBay, wished them all the best and have left it at that.

• Like 1

Urgh. Lost my phone last night. First time I've ever lost one.

Tried calling it, nobody picks up, so I guess that's that.

Well, going to get a new one later today ::shrug:

Edit: Just tried the "Find my device" service from google. It shows my phone is not far away. Brb

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Got back from holiday to find that our house has rats.

They'd gotten in through a broken air brick and from under the floorboards proceeded to chew into the dining room cupboard, the living room and the front hallway. They chewed up a cushion, ate two packets of water biscuits and an entire packet of Matchmakers (mint). They also pushed a wine glass off a shelf.

Anyway, we tried a humane trap, but according to the council it is illegal to trap and release rats in this country. If you catch one, you have to kill it in one blow with a spade.

Didn't think I could stomach doing that, so we've put out non-humane traps and poison instead.

Caught a pretty huge rat during the early hours of Sunday morning. I know because the sound of it dying downstairs woke me up, and kept me awake for 20 minutes as it died. Felt really sorry for the poor thing, but there apparently isn't much else you can do...

We've had 2 days of no rativitiy now, so fingers crossed they are gone.

4 hours ago, bob said:

Anyway, we tried a humane trap, but according to the council it is illegal to trap and release rats in this country. If you catch one, you have to kill it in one blow with a spade.

How oddly specific. Like, what's the consequences if the first blow doesn't kill it?What happens if you use a shovel instead of a spade. What if you can line 2 up and kill both with one blow? So many questions...

• Haha 1

How oddly specific. Like, what's the consequences if the first blow doesn't kill it?What happens if you use a shovel instead of a spade. What if you can line 2 up and kill both with one blow? So many questions...
Jail; jail; get out of jail free card.
  • Haha 2