NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

So a while back, a strange guy turned up at our flat, claiming to be the old occupant of the flat downstairs. He said he needed to get some post that would be arriving for him (a credit card) and could we forward it on to him. This guy most defininatly wasn't the guy who used to live downstairs, so alarm bells started ringing.

Anyway, i knew the name of the guy who did used to live there, so Googled him, and found him on LinkedIn. I do have a LinkedIn free account, but you can't message people with that, so i upgraded to a Premium account for a month, for free, so i could message him.

He replied, and said that yeah, the guy was legit, and that he needed to change his address in order to take out a credit card or some shit - still sounded dodgy, but whatever. When the post arrived, i forwarded it on.

Anyway, fast forward a month, and LinkedIn just charged me £400 for a year subscription. I forgot to cancel the upgrade. The email address they sent the reminder to is my old Uni one which got shut down.

As far as i know, there's no way to get a refund.

Cock.

Forget that! :shakehead

Get into contact with customer service explaining the situation, you were only trying to do a good deed, there's no way you should have to pay that... besides they will surely be able to check your account to see that you haven't used it since, you definitely shouldn't have to pay that. :hmm:

Why on earth does it cost £400 a year to have a premium LinkedIn account anyway? ::shrug:

Yeah, i've emailed, but i don't hold out much hope. That's how they make money - luring people in with free trial periods and then charging them at the end of it. To be fair, they probably did send me a reminder email, i just didn't receive it.

I think higher ups at companies think £400 is very much worth it, as it's how you can get into contact with other higher ups without having to network at events and go through PAs etc.

Admittedly, i didn't realise they would take £400 out at once; i thought if i forgot to cancel it, i would pay for one month at most, but apparently the default button setting is annual payment.

How badly do you want to keep using your LinkedIn account? There's always the option of.. not paying.

I don't know what payment option is used (why the hell do they have your payment information anyway?), but depending on the method, you may still be able to get it back if you contact your bank / credit card company / whatever.

That, or start using LinkedIn like the professional you are. Maybe you can actually start climbing up the ladder. Start pestering all those higherups, ask when they're playing golf etc.

why the hell do they have your payment information anyway?

Subscription sites pretty much always ask for your payment details before giving you the free trial.

Ah yes, of course. I'm thinking a credit card is used then.. You should be able to get your money back through the credit card company.

Yeah i thought of that. I paid through Pay Pal, so i doubt i'm getting it back.

It's mostly my fault - i signed up, i gave them my Pay Pal details, i didn't cancel in time. I can't really complain.

But automatic subscription fees should be illegal as far as i'm concerned.

You should be able to get your money back if it's within 2 weeks, no questions asked:

https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/5704

If it's over 2 weeks.. Then I still wouldn't leave it at that, £ 400,- is a bit much to throw away. I'm sure you can think of other stuff to do with that money. If you've exhausted all options, at the very least remember to cancel your current subscription, you don't want to lose another £ 400,- next year.

Edited by Sméagol

Well it's within two weeks of them charging me - it happened yesterday. But I'll wait and see what they come back with. And I fully intend to cancel my entire account, but only once I've sorted this out as far as I can.

Thanks!

Well...they refunded me almost all of it! Crisis averted!

I'm currently burnt, have insect bites and my eyes are itchy/watering. Summer is here and it's taking no prisoners!

Urgh. Trying to book a rental car for my trip to Canada, and all the companies are trying to charge us Drop Off fees which are like 150% of the cost of hiring the car. It's infuriating.

Also, the amount of extra taxes and fees and charges that USA and Canada have on everything is annoying and confusing.

Urgh. Trying to book a rental car for my trip to Canada, and all the companies are trying to charge us Drop Off fees which are like 150% of the cost of hiring the car. It's infuriating.

Also, the amount of extra taxes and fees and charges that USA and Canada have on everything is annoying and confusing.

Amen, brother. Here's your $20 bill. Plus the Tax. So another 10%. Oh, do you want to give a gratuity? - because we pay our staff minimum wage and then push the responsibility for boosting their meagre incomes onto you.

Yeah, and all the hotels quoted costs are excluding the 15% hotel tax. Why!? I have to pay it, whack it on the cost!

God I feel terrible. Thought it was maybe my hayfever starting early this year but as the day has gone on I'm just feeling worse and worse.

This is also the problem with getting a lift to work everyday and having no direct bus route home. I'm just going to have to sit in my office for the rest of the afternoon with the heating blaring at me to try and stop me shivering.

Yeah, and all the hotels quoted costs are excluding the 15% hotel tax. Why!? I have to pay it, whack it on the cost!

Hidden costs are the worst. It's so good that broadband providers will need to quote the price with the phone line too from now on.

Just a shame they don't get rid of the need for the phone line.

Just a shame they don't get rid of the need for the phone line.

Broadband comes through the phone line though...

Sorry, let me rephrase - it's a shame the technology requires a phone line.

This is something that really annoys me, £16/17/18 a month is a lot to spend on something you don't get tangible use out of. Bit like rates. (the money just supports the fact they exist, and maintains them).

We don't have cable in ballymena, or i'd go that way. My ex had cable in north belfast and he was getting 180mb. I miss borrowing it :heh:

I'm fairly certain someone vandalised my bike over the weekend.

Went to cycle to work this morning and the chain had fallen off. No biggie. Then I noticed the rear brake was dragging on the rim, and it looks like either the rim has been bent, or the brake pads been knocked.

Finally, halfway to work, and my inner tube explodes.

Hopefully I can just replace the inner tube, and bend the brake caliper into place. Hopefully I don't need to fix the wheel or buy a new one.

It's so annoying.

Front right of my(parked) car has been clipped by a bus, bus driver lady said they'll probably say it was my fault as too close to an island(I personally didn't think so) - insurance are talking about the car being a write-off either way(over a panel or two). Worst case scenario is a write-off A or B, and claim being settled as my fault. Best case is non-fault and a write-off payment allowing me to keep the car as a cat C/D(cars been in family for years, reliable, low mileage etcetc) which I'm obviously hoping for but just don't need this shit right now -.-

Hang on, so because she dinked it, its your fault?

I'd be contesting the shit out of that! (I had similar issues with write offs last year). Keep on at your insurance.

We got the coroners report through this weekend on my Nan's death ready for the inquest. It's sounding like the doctors didn't have a signature from my Nan to perform the endoscopy that caused the damage the ultimately killed her. They're trying to pass it off as sometimes there's no time to get one for emergency procedures but she was actually on the mend at that point and able to keep food down for the first time in weeks, there was no rush for it. They even told us at the time they just wanted to see what was going on in her throat/stomach.