NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

I'm not ashamed to say that I laughed at this. Yes, I should have gone back to sleep. :p

I also laughed. I am so sorry.

Notevensorry.

Just been attacked by a ferocious Pigeon at Piccadilly Station in Manchester

Yeah, I hate it when I run out of Repel.

You don't get that here. I'm in the moodset of "i don't give a rats anymore". People manipulate the system to favour them, others get spited and shot down. If you are just 1 minute late, they want a detailed explanation as to why you are late. This included breaks, lunches and starting. Once a call is finished, you've got a manager breathing down your neck pressing the "Ready button" on your phone if you are just taking a quick breather. If you go on the sick, you've got them pestering you to come back in by calling you daily.

A mate of mine is on long-term sick. Nothing wrong with him, he's fine. He just can't be bothered to come in due to being stressed out, overworked and plainly annoyed with management techniques. The union said for him to go on the sick for a break.

Without being sexist, was it a female on the phone?.

Why would you be late for work though? You are contracted to be at your job at a certain time. Punctuality is important. They pay you a wage to work from say 9 to 5 and that means they expect you to work between those hours, which means being at your desk on time. We had a new guy start at my work the other month and we sacked him on his third day as he was late every morning - three times in a row.

If you're late once in a while for legitimate reasons and you phone in to explain why you're going to be late then that's acceptable, but expecting them to happy that you're coming in late in the morning and from lunches and breaks is delusional!

The idea that you should just be able to 'go on the sick' because you need a break is also taking the piss. If you're meant to be taking calls, I don't see why you need a 'breather' between calls, you get breaks and lunches, so why do you think your employer would want to give you extra time off during the time when you're paid to do your job?

I think you need to deal with the realities of having a job. You know what a real 'bad stuff' moan would be - being unemployed. Not having a job is worse than your employer expecting you to be on time and to work during your contracted hours!

Edited by Zechs Merquise

As much as I don't know the full situation, I have to agree a little here with Zechs. They might be going a bit far in breathing down your neck, but I find it insane that a colleague of yours is absolutely fine but isn't in work.

That's absolutely crazy and if you want to be in a job that doesn't act the way a normal company would, find another job..

Heh.. :(

As much as I don't know the full situation, I have to agree a little here with Zechs. They might be going a bit far in breathing down your neck, but I find it insane that a colleague of yours is absolutely fine but isn't in work.

That's absolutely crazy and if you want to be in a job that doesn't act the way a normal company would, find another job..

Heh.. :(

I think that part of the problem is that other people are treated completely differently to @Jimbob. Some people have a lot more leeway and can do anything they want whereas if Jimbob were to turn up 1 minute late he'd get written up for it.

Why would you be late for work though? You are contracted to be at your job at a certain time. Punctuality is important. They pay you a wage to work from say 9 to 5 and that means they expect you to work between those hours, which means being at your desk on time. We had a new guy start at my work the other month and we sacked him on his third day as he was late every morning - three times in a row.

If you're late once in a while for legitimate reasons and you phone in to explain why you're going to be late then that's acceptable, but expecting them to happy that you're coming in late in the morning and from lunches and breaks is delusional!

The idea that you should just be able to 'go on the sick' because you need a break is also taking the piss. If you're meant to be taking calls, I don't see why you need a 'breather' between calls, you get breaks and lunches, so why do you think your employer would want to give you extra time off during the time when you're paid to do your job?

I think you need to deal with the realities of having a job. You know what a real 'bad stuff' moan would be - being unemployed. Not having a job is worse than your employer expecting you to be on time and to work during your contracted hours!

My job is on the 12th floor of a 16 floor building, to get up there they have lifts. Which break often, because the lifts which are fitted are not designed to go any higher than the 8th floor without risking the motors burning out. These are reported in, they get fixed and they burn out again. The only sure fire way to get them working is to get lift motors which are designed to go higher. At the moment, out of the 5 lifts to the floors 9-16 we have 2 which are working, the cleaners lock one of these off from lunchtime onwards. You can imagine quite a number of people using the one remaining lift trying to get up to floors 9-16, it's a little tricky. You could say use the stairs, but they are for fire escape only.

The reasons why i am late in the mornings some days, and the unions are backing me up. Where i live and where i work, it's about an hour of travelling 5 days a week and involves either 2 trains or 3 buses. I leave my house at 8:15am, arrive at work 9:45am, finish at 6:30/7pm and arrive home at 8:45/9pm. So it's close to 13 hours a day, 5-6 days a week i'm out and about. It's affecting my social life, to the point it's non-existent. And the trains are sometimes late and/or, buses are never on time. And before it's said "Get a car and drive", out of the question. It would cost me double per week to get there and i would have no money or any sort of a life. I did drive before, and i stopped because it was getting too expensive.

I fully understand the means of being on-time for work, as and when i am late i do call in and explain why i am late. I was bought up to management to explain why i am late at least twice to 3 times a month, the union backs me up. They knew where i live, they know it's a vast distance and they took me on based on knowing this. Even if you call in, you need to explain to your manager why you are late because the late line you call just put the words "late, will be in by x time."

And it does make me sick, because (and i'm trying not to be sexist or targetting favoritism here) but there are some people who should be sacked, but are not. One person in question, not naming them is in a relationship with one of the management. So their friends can get away with a shit load of stuff with no repercussions. This has again been bought up to management, because some people get away with murder. Whilst others can't get away with breathing.

And to put this here, you try taking call after call from people who are dellusional and are complete arseholes and feel the need to blame you for everything and are not prepared to call back. And then come back and say you don't need a breather between calls.

I get what you mean Jimbob, it is quite similar here. Unfair treatment of people. The ones that have connections can get away with stuff and will be the ones to get offered "extras", whereas others will be marked down for every little thing and will never receive any favours.

It is frustrating working in a place like that, it feels like they don't give a shit about the people who work for them (and they don't). It was the same for me when I was on the phonelines, we had 1 minute to write up the log of the call before going onto the next call. If you dared to put yourself on "not ready" (for example if you were still writing the log), they would be standing right behind you to put you back on.

Once one of my friends had had to deal with a really angry customer and she broke down into tears. She wanted to take a short breather to calm down, but she was forced to go straight back on, still crying. It's shit and shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.

I get what you mean Jimbob, it is quite similar here. Unfair treatment of people. The ones that have connections can get away with stuff and will be the ones to get offered "extras", whereas others will be marked down for every little thing and will never receive any favours.

It is frustrating working in a place like that, it feels like they don't give a shit about the people who work for them (and they don't). It was the same for me when I was on the phonelines, we had 1 minute to write up the log of the call before going onto the next call. If you dared to put yourself on "not ready" (for example if you were still writing the log), they would be standing right behind you to put you back on.

Once one of my friends had had to deal with a really angry customer and she broke down into tears. She wanted to take a short breather to calm down, but she was forced to go straight back on, still crying. It's shit and shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy.

Indeed so, all management care about is the stats and not how the individual feels. Which is why i'm shit scared to go on the sick, having been told to do so.

My job is on the 12th floor of a 16 floor building, to get up there they have lifts. Which break often, because the lifts which are fitted are not designed to go any higher than the 8th floor without risking the motors burning out. These are reported in, they get fixed and they burn out again. The only sure fire way to get them working is to get lift motors which are designed to go higher. At the moment, out of the 5 lifts to the floors 9-16 we have 2 which are working, the cleaners lock one of these off from lunchtime onwards. You can imagine quite a number of people using the one remaining lift trying to get up to floors 9-16, it's a little tricky. You could say use the stairs, but they are for fire escape only.

The reasons why i am late in the mornings some days, and the unions are backing me up. Where i live and where i work, it's about an hour of travelling 5 days a week and involves either 2 trains or 3 buses. I leave my house at 8:15am, arrive at work 9:45am, finish at 6:30/7pm and arrive home at 8:45/9pm. So it's close to 13 hours a day, 5-6 days a week i'm out and about. It's affecting my social life, to the point it's non-existent. And the trains are sometimes late and/or, buses are never on time. And before it's said "Get a car and drive", out of the question. It would cost me double per week to get there and i would have no money or any sort of a life. I did drive before, and i stopped because it was getting too expensive.

I fully understand the means of being on-time for work, as and when i am late i do call in and explain why i am late. I was bought up to management to explain why i am late at least twice to 3 times a month, the union backs me up. They knew where i live, they know it's a vast distance and they took me on based on knowing this. Even if you call in, you need to explain to your manager why you are late because the late line you call just put the words "late, will be in by x time."

And it does make me sick, because (and i'm trying not to be sexist or targetting favoritism here) but there are some people who should be sacked, but are not. One person in question, not naming them is in a relationship with one of the management. So their friends can get away with a shit load of stuff with no repercussions. This has again been bought up to management, because some people get away with murder. Whilst others can't get away with breathing.

And to put this here, you try taking call after call from people who are dellusional and are complete arseholes and feel the need to blame you for everything and are not prepared to call back. And then come back and say you don't need a breather between calls.

Look, you need to realise that you chose to take a job where (by your claim) there is around four hours a day of travelling. The fact that affects your social life is in no way a problem of the company that employs you - why would they care whether you get out for a beer on the weekend?

Even if you ring ahead and explain your lateness, your boss is still going to ask why and have a word with you - that is his/her job. If the boss never asked then people would be inclined to take the piss.

But then there's things like the lifts - if you know it takes you ten minutes to get back to your desk after lunch then you have to factor that into your lunch time and make sure you're not late back. It's something we all have to deal with.

My advice is simple: You obviously took a job that was unsuitable. You chose to work at a place that is too far away and it isn't working out for you. Find somewhere closer to you.

Look, you need to realise that you chose to take a job where (by your claim) there is around four hours a day of travelling. The fact that affects your social life is in no way a problem of the company that employs you - why would they care whether you get out for a beer on the weekend?

Even if you ring ahead and explain your lateness, your boss is still going to ask why and have a word with you - that is his/her job. If the boss never asked then people would be inclined to take the piss.

But then there's things like the lifts - if you know it takes you ten minutes to get back to your desk after lunch then you have to factor that into your lunch time and make sure you're not late back. It's something we all have to deal with.

My advice is simple: You obviously took a job that was unsuitable. You chose to work at a place that is too far away and it isn't working out for you. Find somewhere closer to you.

I had no choice but to accept the job, the job centre were breathing down my neck so i had to take it. I have tried many times to change the shift around, it wouldn't be too bad if i was working 9am until 5:30pm, then it would be easier and i'd save an hour of travelling per day. I do ask for a shift change every time other people do, as it's been said favoritism puts a factor into this. The favorites get what they want, no-one else does.

Don't get me wrong, i hardly leave the building for lunch due to the lift issues so i'm not late back from breaks or lunches as i don't smoke and hardly go out so that doesn't affect me, but does affect me when i wish to leave to go home and i tend to miss the first train.

And, they are also preventing me from leaving as i mentioned before, unless i physically quit and don't show up ever again. But yeah, you are right i do need a new job. I've got a few on the burner now, and just got off the phone to a potential employer now after a phone interview. So hopefully, not much longer.

Good @Jimbob keep up the job search.

I agree it is crap doing a job you hate. I love my work so I cant really relate to you on this issue.

You probably wont but no matter how bad it gets dont quit without finding another job first. I felt like there was nothing worse than being unemployed and having to make that trip to the Job Centre with the rest of the skanks that are forced to go.

I get to show up late, take long lunches and leave early because the company I work for treats me like a human being, and not just a cog in the wheel. Feeling good about your job makes you a better worker, and here that trumps punctuality.

I get to show up late, take long lunches and leave early because the company I work for treats me like a human being, and not just a cog in the wheel. Feeling good about your job makes you a better worker, and here that trumps punctuality.

I play about an hour of table tennis most work days (on top of my lunch break).

My manager doesn't know that I do it, but I get my work done so nobody cares.

The fact is the majority of people don't choose the job they are in. Most people have no choice in the matter at all -- the choice is either have no job or have a job, but be treated like shit on minimum wage where you're expected to turn up 10 mins early and finish only when the work's done and can never take your holiday because too many people have booked it already and you don't get paid the holiday in lieu and they don't care if you quit because tehre are three thousand people 'begging' for the job ready to take your place and they never train you up to be any more responsible because that would mean they'd find it harder to replace you and the middle management directly above you are never going to help you do better because they are bitter they're not doing better and even if you can do a better job than them it doesn't matter because you have to follow chain of command and targets exist not to reflect the abilities of the staff but to ensure they are working non-stop for the on-clock time and...

Sorry but for the masses there is no choice, there is just a relentless stream of knockbacks and letdowns in the job-searching market. An army of employers who ignore your plea for work. For many, their desire to stay afloat and to get off the dole means they sacrifice their own sense of pride because, ultimately, they have bills to pay so fuck having a life, right? Fuck thinking you deserve anything but living to work? I would totally get up at 5am and get home at 11pm for a job that treated me with respect, that recognised my efforts, that didn't object me being 5 mins late even though it took 2 hours to get there and those factors were out of my control.

@Zechs Merquise I get what you're saying, but I think you're not being empathetic here. Your advice of "find somewhere closer to you" isn't encapsulating the entire problem. Why aren't you considering the potential reasons for why he's not looked for somewhere closer before you suggest this? If such a common-sense answer seems so obvious to you, shouldn't that strike a cord and make you think "hold on, if I can think of such a genius answer then surely others have done too?" why not take a moment to pose the question to yourself and come up with potential counter-arguments?

I mean, I get that it's not necessary to think about things to deeper levels because you can just wait for someone else to think them for you, but surely it'd be nice to challenge yourself once in a while, eh?

I'm pissed off because my kettle, a lovely red Morphy Richards one that we bought less than 3 months ago) has stopped working. I've read up online that maybe de-scaling it will help. I've done that, the inside of the kettle looks amazing, but the fucker still won't work. The light comes on to let us know that it is switched on, but nothing.

So fucking annoyed. To make matters worse, we can't find the receipt for it. No excuse though, it's a product that has been working for months, yet now decides that it doesn't want to. You expect better from that brand.

I just cant fall asleep!! Got things on my mind but fucks sake just switch off!!

I just cant fall asleep!! Got things on my mind but fucks sake just switch off!!

Write it down, whatever it is. Set it as a reminder on your phone. It will help.

Tomorrow is an exciting day, but I am still awake. I want it to be tomorrow, today!

I'm pissed off because my kettle, a lovely red Morphy Richards one that we bought less than 3 months ago) has stopped working. I've read up online that maybe de-scaling it will help. I've done that, the inside of the kettle looks amazing, but the fucker still won't work. The light comes on to let us know that it is switched on, but nothing.

So fucking annoyed. To make matters worse, we can't find the receipt for it. No excuse though, it's a product that has been working for months, yet now decides that it doesn't want to. You expect better from that brand.

Did you buy it on card? You don't need a receipt, only proof of purchase.

Even if you didn't pay for it on a card you could just send it directly to Morphy Richards who have to fix it for you. All electronics have a 12 month warranty as standard.

I didn't even know that proof of purchase was enough until my expensive Nike football boots bit the dust last week. Took them back to the Nike store and they agreed that it was poor quality and a bank statement on my phone was enough to prove I had bought them there and they replaced them.

@Zechs Merquise I get what you're saying, but I think you're not being empathetic here. Your advice of "find somewhere closer to you" isn't encapsulating the entire problem. Why aren't you considering the potential reasons for why he's not looked for somewhere closer before you suggest this? If such a common-sense answer seems so obvious to you, shouldn't that strike a cord and make you think "hold on, if I can think of such a genius answer then surely others have done too?" why not take a moment to pose the question to yourself and come up with potential counter-arguments?

I mean, I get that it's not necessary to think about things to deeper levels because you can just wait for someone else to think them for you, but surely it'd be nice to challenge yourself once in a while, eh?

Look, you may like to over analyse everything, but I don't. The quickest way to solve any problem is to find the simplest and most straightforward solution then act upon it until the problem is solved.

@Jimbob doesn't like his job, it takes him too long to get to work using public transport (which also creates other problems like being late) and it is having an adverse affect on his life. He has several options:

1) The company changes its approach and treats him differently: This won't happen.

2) He finds an alternative travel method which is quicker and more reliable: He already said that won't work due to costs.

3) He finds somewhere closer to work that is more suitable.

So obviously the answer is number three.

Now as we have found the solution, we can do one of two things. We can either sit bitching and crying about how bad things are and getting ever more stressed, or we use that energy to search for a more suitable job.

Obviously you're the kind of guy who would sit cuddling him and listening to his woes. I'm the kind of guy that would knock him up a CV, kick him up the arse and help him find a better job. I know which one will solve the problem.

I've had that problem recently. Thankfully, it's been better for the last few nights. Think about what you're doing about 3 hours before sleep and look at what might be keeping you up. Could be caffeine, could be that you're eating too close to bedtime, or something.

Even if you didn't pay for it on a card you could just send it directly to Morphy Richards who have to fix it for you. All electronics have a 12 month warranty as standard.

I didn't even know that proof of purchase was enough until my expensive Nike football boots bit the dust last week. Took them back to the Nike store and they agreed that it was poor quality and a bank statement on my phone was enough to prove I had bought them there and they replaced them.

Really, this works? I'm shocked, I always thought that you needed the receipt. Cheers, men. I'm certain that Ine was the one who paid for it and I'm near certain that it was done on her card. Will get her to look at her statements and see if we can find it on there.

I am afraid that that won't work, as we bought it in Sainsburys together with our other shopping. So all my bank statement will say is the overall price of the shopping, whithout any mention of what we bought that day (if we can even figure out what day it was). So it would be impossible to use as a "proof of purchase". =/

I am afraid that that won't work, as we bought it in Sainsburys together with our other shopping. So all my bank statement will say is the overall price of the shopping, whithout any mention of what we bought that day (if we can even figure out what day it was). So it would be impossible to use as a "proof of purchase". =/

Phone Morphy Richards directly and ask them to replace it. Most companies are pretty good about returns without receipt because they want to build up brand loyaly.

Phone Morphy Richards directly and ask them to replace it. Most companies are pretty good about returns without receipt because they want to build up brand loyaly.

Just rang them and they said that they either want a receipt or proof of purchase. As we got it as part of a weekly shop, it won't show up on the bank statement.

I'm shocked that the product stopped working so soon after being bought. Meh.