NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Izzy sounds like a bitch. Hide a poo in her room.

Woah, woah, woah, Izzy sounds like she might have breasts. Fish, you need to explore using sex as a means of getting what you want.

Or give her a cake full of razorblades.

Or just give her a razorblade and tell her to go kill herself.

Or, failing that, perform a coup de main: move in on the first day and simply claim my room, and wing it from there on.

That's the way I'd go. Get there early, set yourself up in your preferred room and let the crocodile tears flow.

Woah, woah, woah, Izzy sounds like she might have breasts. Fish, you need to explore using sex as a means of getting what you want.

Or give her a cake full of razorblades.

Or just give her a razorblade and tell her to go kill herself.

Your first plan is a little misguided - beyond the obvious objections, he has the stature and body of a 10 year old boy which isn't really my cup of tea. And she's going out with someone. Who's a transexual. And she's got the same name as my sister, so, a big no.

My current plan is that she (albeit angrily) agreed to let me have the room in line with the original agreement, so, by god, am I going to latch onto it. I know I'll be moving in first (straight away, in fact) as I've landed a job that includes hours over summer, and quite frankly she can use the holiday to calm herself down.

My biggest fear is that come her arriving at the house, she'll turn on the waterworks again and make another push for it by trying to guilt the other two into backing her again. Or, worse, her parents will, when dropping her and her stuff off, defend their princess and mistake me for a naive little 19 year old only a year out of school...

That's the way I'd go. Get there early, set yourself up in your preferred room and let the crocodile tears flow.

It's a bit blunt, though - I'd hoped to avoid any major drama (hence why I specified to my housemates that a negotiated solution was needed).

My housemate Jack attempted this while very, very drunk after having been kicked out of a club for said drunkenness (on, oddly, Izzy's birthday). Unfortunately he made a miscalculation with the floor - whilst aiming for either my room or George (directly above me), he managed to poo on the floor of the room below mine instead. Which was his own.

Edited by The fish
Automerged Doublepost

My housemate Jack attempted this while very, very drunk after having been kicked out of a club for said drunkenness (on, oddly, Izzy's birthday). Unfortunately he made a miscalculation with the floor - whilst aiming for either my room or George (directly above me), he managed to poo on the floor of the room below mine instead. Which was his own.

You make it sound like he was pooing from the roof and aiming through windows or something.

Why don't you all switch rooms after 6 months?

Fuck that. Firstly it would mess up the room to rent ratio, and plus someone moving their stuff from the bigger room into the smaller room could prove very problematic.

In my second year at uni I got the smallest room in the house and I didn't bitch about it. The other three guys claimed rooms the other rooms first, which was fair enough. I wasn't on the ball. When one left there was a little switch around (One person moved out) and I got the bigger-ish room.

If this Izzy lass didn't get her shit together when it came to the viewing then it's her fault she got the short straw. I don't understand how others are turning on you Fishmon when it was all agreed beforehand.

Fuck that. Firstly it would mess up the room to rent ratio, and plus someone moving their stuff from the bigger room into the smaller room could prove very problematic.

In my second year at uni I got the smallest room in the house and I didn't bitch about it. The other three guys claimed rooms the other rooms first, which was fair enough. I wasn't on the ball. When one left there was a little switch around (One person moved out) and I got the bigger-ish room.

If this Izzy lass didn't get her shit together when it came to the viewing then it's her fault she got the short straw. I don't understand how others are turning on you Fishmon when it was all agreed beforehand.

In my flat, which we've now been in for 4 years, we have one large room with an en-suite, one smaller room and one a little bit smaller than that.

Never once had an ordeal about who gets which room. We swap around every year. Everyone pays the same amount (perhaps bigger room should pay £10 more and smaller room £10 less) and it works well.

Being the first to 'claim' a room shouldn't be the way it works. You should sit down and have a proper conversation about it. How can you judge who claims a room first?

The ideal way to do it is to put a price on each room (how much rent they pay). Then everyone marks down which room they want in which order. Some places might be obvious and everyone will have the same but often rooms are in different locations and someone might like an unusual one. If only one person puts down a room as number 1 then they get it. Doing it this way you could take yourself out of the running for the 'best' room and go for the second best one and be likely to get it.

If an agreement can't be reached with the other rooms then you can draw names out of hats.

Give people options first, then draw names. You shouldn't sign a lease on a property if you haven't already decided on rooms OR you are happy to go in any room.

In the case of @The fish I'm not sure exactly how they decided who gets which room? It sounds to me that Izzy mentioned there was no big issue with room size. Why does this mean she should automatically get the smallest room? Maybe I'm missing something and there was a discussion about this. I sympathise with the situation but from what I can see, there wasn't enough initial communication. Izzy should also have gone to see the house before signing the flat. Were photos taken?

Edited by Charlie

As I read it, Izzy agreed to a whole lot without checking out if she were actually okay with any of it despite numerous encouragements to do so and promises that they'd accomodate her wishes. I'm completely on Fish's side in this; she had ample opportunity to investigate and voice any complaints she might have had, but chose to accept it all blindly. Being upset and angry at Fish of all people afterwards is entirely unfair.

Being the first to 'claim' a room shouldn't be the way it works. You should sit down and have a proper conversation about it. How can you judge who claims a room first?

For me it went

"I'm having this room."

"Ok then."

Give people options first, then draw names. You shouldn't sign a lease on a property if you haven't already decided on rooms OR you are happy to go in any room.

Izzy had options, she decided not to act upon them, she had ample time to view the house and decide whether to agree. She agreed to the lease without viewing.

Izzy should also have gone to see the house before signing the flat. Were photos taken?

See below:

I was also the only one to send her pictures of the room when we initially viewed it, and I'd repeatedly insisted she see the house before signing anything.

I honestly don't see how she can have the nerve to being screwed over after all this.

We did, and she said it was all fine. I said we really shouldn't sign on the house until she'd seen it, and yet she reassured us it was fine. I was genuinely shocked that she hadn't gone even on the day she signed (against my explicit, repeated advice), but she maintained it was fine.

The ideal way to do it is to put a price on each room (how much rent they pay). Then everyone marks down which room they want in which order. Some places might be obvious and everyone will have the same but often rooms are in different locations and someone might like an unusual one. If only one person puts down a room as number 1 then they get it. Doing it this way you could take yourself out of the running for the 'best' room and go for the second best one and be likely to get it.

A price system was put in place early on, and I, as you suggest, wanted the 2nd best room, if only to specifically avoid potential trouble.

You shouldn't sign a lease on a property if you haven't already decided on rooms OR you are happy to go in any room.

I agree 100% - we'd decided rooms for that house, and she'd made it clear she would see the room before she signed. We'd said if she wasn't happy, we'd find another house as it was practical to do so in December, unlike now.

In the case of @The fish I'm not sure exactly how they decided who gets which room? It sounds to me that Izzy mentioned there was no big issue with room size. Why does this mean she should automatically get the smallest room? Maybe I'm missing something and there was a discussion about this. I sympathise with the situation but from what I can see, there wasn't enough initial communication. Izzy should also have gone to see the house before signing the flat. Were photos taken?

We'd decided by agreement, and she'd said room size wasn't an issue, she'd be happy with anything as long as the house was nice. I was the only one who took photos and the only one to tell her she had to see it before signing (on numerous occasions), and yet I and I alone somehow became the horrible uncaring bully who'd conned her (her words) into having the small room. I was also the on they attempted to shaft via a lot draw I repeatedly said would be counter-productive if anything and refused to take part in, and when I protested, I became the baby who threw their toys out the pram when I didn't get what I wanted.

The last point is especially annoying and more than a tad hypocritical, I must say.

Trying to claim you need a certain a certain sized room because you're used to it at home is the most idiotic thing i've ever heard.

Honestly, I'd run, run as far as you can. Replace yourself and move.

If its an option of course. She sounds like a complete cow and has turned your housemates on you by putting on the water works. What a spiteful little madam.

Honestly, I'd run, run as far as you can. Replace yourself and move.

If its an option of course. She sounds like a complete cow and has turned your housemates on you by putting on the water works. What a spiteful little madam.

The thought had crossed my mind. Right now I have Matt back on side, and Lottie isn't stupid - her priority was for a quick resolution, not necessarily a fair one, but I think she realises that was short sighted.

That said, after my exam on Wednesday I'll have a snoop around.

Trying to claim you need a certain a certain sized room because you're used to it at home is the most idiotic thing i've ever heard.

The funny thing is that she's unimaginably tiny - below 5 ft. She also claimed a few days ago that she needed a large open space to get dressed in, which is a contender the title.

So, let me get this right:

- Izzy was pissing about and couldn't make multiple house viewings

- Izzy signed a contract for a house that she had never seen for herself

- Friend DEFENDS her despite knowing this

- All three turn on you and YOU become the bad guy

- You still want to live with these people

Strong friends. Get out of that house whilst you still can. They've already shown laziness, pettiness, disloyalty, an ability to turn on the water works when things don't go their way and shitty logic. (I have the biggest room at home, I deserve the biggest here...)

You haven't even moved in yet and this has happened. Unless they are really, really good friends, I'd be out of there and find a better place with better house mates. First, it's about who gets what bedroom. After that, it'll be about something else that is petty, like who gets to use the kitchen at a certain time, or who gets to use the washing machine, or who should take out the rubbish on certain days. If you get shafted once on this, they will take the piss again and pull this shit again.

So, let me get this right:

- Izzy was pissing about and couldn't make multiple house viewings

- Izzy signed a contract for a house that she had never seen for herself

- Friend DEFENDS her despite knowing this

- All three turn on you and YOU become the bad guy

- You still want to live with these people

Strong friends. Get out of that house whilst you still can. They've already shown laziness, pettiness, disloyalty, an ability to turn on the water works when things don't go their way and shitty logic. (I have the biggest room at home, I deserve the biggest here...)

You haven't even moved in yet and this has happened. Unless they are really, really good friends, I'd be out of there and find a better place with better house mates. First, it's about who gets what bedroom. After that, it'll be about something else that is petty, like who gets to use the kitchen at a certain time, or who gets to use the washing machine, or who should take out the rubbish on certain days. If you get shafted once on this, they will take the piss again and pull this shit again.

I'm starting to swing towards this. I like the house, the location and my room, and Matt and Lottie are both normally really nice (even Izzy too, to be honest), but I struggle to think it's worth the stress.

I'm starting to swing towards this. I like the house, the location and my room, and Matt and Lottie are both normally really nice (even Izzy too, to be honest), but I struggle to think it's worth the stress.

If you REALLY want to dick them over, keep the best room for yourself, secretly get someone to take it off your hands and then suddenly move out.

If you REALLY want to dick them over, keep the best room for yourself, secretly get someone to take it off your hands and then suddenly move out.

Now that would be almost classhole levels of dickishness. Especially if I found a nasty, twatish Tory boy with personal hygiene issues. ::shrug:

Now that would be almost classhole levels of dickishness. Especially if I found a nasty, twatish Tory boy with personal hygiene issues. ::shrug:

Do it. DO IT, MAN.

Slightly pissed...ordered a 3DS XL and Monster Hunter 3 yesterday. Should've arrived here today before 12 (Morning Express...), arrived 10 minutes ago.

My mother accepted the package so she didn't open it. I opened it and the 3DS XL was missing.

Already paid for both the game and the handheld. -.-

Contacted Amazon via email. We'll see what will happen.

Slightly pissed...ordered a 3DS XL and Monster Hunter 3 yesterday. Should've arrived here today before 12 (Morning Express...), arrived 10 minutes ago.

My mother accepted the package so she didn't open it. I opened it and the 3DS XL was missing.

Already paid for both the game and the handheld. -.-

Contacted Amazon via email. We'll see what will happen.

Have you checked the invoice to see if it was coming in two packages?

Have you checked the invoice to see if it was coming in two packages?

Yep, checked my Amazon account and the invoice. Only one package.

Yep, checked my Amazon account and the invoice. Only one package.

Damn that sucks then.