NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

That's a nice attitude to have.

But it won't be an attitude that your management will have, its a shame, but morning person or not, if you are paid to be there at a certain time (if not, ignore me) then you should be, especially if you've signed a contract stating so! :shakehead

Eh, they can take it or leave it. I actually turned up on time today. Difference made? None.

And your reasoning for not being able to get in on time is quite frankly pathetic.

I get the job done, with time to spare. If it impacted my work in any way, or anyone I worked with, I'd change.

Seriously, what else would you want?

I think they want you to turn up to work on time...::shrug:

Eh, they can take it or leave it. I actually turned up on time today. Difference made? None.

I get the job done, with time to spare. If it impacted my work in any way, or anyone I worked with, I'd change.

Difference made. Personal brand and appearance.

If you continually turn up late, whether you get your work done or not, you become seen as someone who isn't reliable. If you're going to turn up late to work why wouldn't you turn in an assignment late?

People don't think they think like that, but that's how it works. Your personal brand is very important.

When you're as good at your job as Daft is, you're allowed to be a bit of a diva.

Was really hoping to find out what his boss had to say today, though. :p

Got pushed back to tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Difference made. Personal brand and appearance.

If you continually turn up late, whether you get your work done or not, you become seen as someone who isn't reliable. If you're going to turn up late to work why wouldn't you turn in an assignment late?

People don't think they think like that, but that's how it works. Your personal brand is very important.

I work in the creative department of an ad agency. I think I've got a grasp of my 'personal brand', thanks very much.

I think they want you to turn up to work on time...::shrug:

Can't be that high a priority for them since no one has mentioned it and I've been here on and off for almost a year and a half (I only mentioned it because I make sure to keep an eye on my, as Chaz put it, 'personal brand').

You people need to lighten up. It's just a job. So I'm late, I get paid to do a job - I get it done and what's more, I excel at it and people recognise that. It took me about three weeks to be trusted with the role of a senior even though I'm a junior and that was over a year ago.

There's no need to act like an automaton. I'm happy with how it works, they haven't mentioned anything, there's no need to fix what isn't broken. Why on Earth do you think being in at an utterly arbitrary time is necessary? It's not like I'm a shift worker, I don't have to take over from anyone. I have my own work and I make sure I do it.

Kind of surprised this has got such a reaction considering I made that comment mostly in jest. My CD would have just emailed me if it was about me being late, and they wouldn't renew my contract if they didn't want me to stay.

Actually i've seen Mad Men, and sometimes Don doesn't come in until like 10am! I think you'll be fine.

And I don't drink on the job most the time, so I've got that going for me, too.

It's not like I'm a shift worker, I don't have to take over from anyone. I have my own work and I make sure I do it.

If you don't work shifts how can you be late?

I was referring to 24 hour shift work. I have work hours, so I need to be in, but if I waste time the only person who it's really going to screw over is me.

From what I gather, Daft is paid for "the day". I assume there is an expected range of hours that can be, but I can't imagine he would have signed a contract saying "I shall be in 9-5".

Oh wait more was posted that I didn't see. Carry on with your business...

Edited by Ashley

Eh, mostly I couldn't care if @Daft comes in late to work, its his business *shrug*. Although, did you actually have that meeting in the end?

Today has been an absolute mess. I got up an hour earlier than usually (so 6am) to get my old desk to someone, que a few hours later and they aren't about, don't hear the doorbell. So I get to work with a desk and an apologetic collegue.

Luckily I managed to sell it to someone else, but in doing so and delivering it I'm an hour later onto the motorway than I should be. Que traffic, a police car and fire engine, no cars, no accident...just them blocking the road..I can only assume they were pulling someone out the canal or something given there was nothing.

So I'm finally home, sigh. ¬_¬

Trying to sort out my 'business' (sole trader/freelance) and it's a pain in the poot-maker.

Want to keep the banking separate from my personal account. Checked to see if either of my other current accounts could do, but they do specify "not to be used for business". I'm not sure if they'd notice/care if it was just the odd cheque going in and sometimes money going out. It's not like I'm going to be doing a lot of transactions through it. Natwest and Barclays offer 2 years of free business banking, so may just open one of those and add to my calendar to switch in 2 years (when I imagine I'll be in a different position anyway).

And semi-related; contacted my bank to see if I legally changed my surname I could still cash cheques with my old name (figured not, but thought maybe they'd see it was an ex-surname) and I can't. May try seeing if I change my legal surname to my middle name it would work. It's that or just not tell one of my accounts... I wish I could just tell my father's family I hate my surname and they wouldn't be dicks about it.

Pluuuuuuuus I have about a million questions for the HMRC but they never seem to answer the phone.

Yes, first world problems.

Nah. Objectively there's nothing wrong with the surname, it's the association (to my sibling) that caused me to change it. The association hasn't really followed me to London, but I've gone by Jones for seven years now and its what I consider my name to be.

Plus I do feel like I belong more to my mother's side than my father's, but that's in addition to, rather than the main reason.

Trying to sort out my 'business' (sole trader/freelance) and it's a pain in the poot-maker.

Want to keep the banking separate from my personal account. Checked to see if either of my other current accounts could do, but they do specify "not to be used for business". I'm not sure if they'd notice/care if it was just the odd cheque going in and sometimes money going out. It's not like I'm going to be doing a lot of transactions through it. Natwest and Barclays offer 2 years of free business banking, so may just open one of those and add to my calendar to switch in 2 years (when I imagine I'll be in a different position anyway).

And semi-related; contacted my bank to see if I legally changed my surname I could still cash cheques with my old name (figured not, but thought maybe they'd see it was an ex-surname) and I can't. May try seeing if I change my legal surname to my middle name it would work. It's that or just not tell one of my accounts... I wish I could just tell my father's family I hate my surname and they wouldn't be dicks about it.

Pluuuuuuuus I have about a million questions for the HMRC but they never seem to answer the phone.

Yes, first world problems.

You should make sure you have separate account otherwise it can look a bit dodgy and more qustions get asked.

Also HMRC are impossible to deal with, anything I could help with? I.e easy qustions?

Cheers duck. Will Facebook you when I think of them. For now, wine.

Birmingham-way but now in London, I just use random terms of endearment.

Ahhhh i thought for a moment that you were from my neck of the woods.

Jim can't go to Belgium with me in August for my sister's wedding. His stupid school is having him come in that last week for meetings. =(

Sad by this because it means I have to travel alone, be at the wedding alone and all that. Not gonna be fun when everyone is there with their partner. Plus it was the only week we would have together for a while to do things (not counting the few days in Glastonbury), so not happy. Boooh.

Now I need to figure out what the best way is to get to London for the Eurostar. Every option seems to include getting one or two tubes and walking through parts of London with my big suitcase, which kinda scares me to do alone. I think I might get lost. Don't even know if all tube lines are working on bank holidays (August 26)? =(

Well that was a non-event. I can't go into details but it involved Batman.

Well that was a non-event. I can't go into details but it involved Batman.

Stop trying to have sex with Batman, you know he only likes skinny boys.