NEurope
CompSci

Revs final secret Revealed?

Can you really imagine this being their final big secret.

Full library backwards compatibility!

Completely unique controller style!

Displacement mapping...

I don't think so ;)

That is what I think. For Nintendo technology is not that important - of course they need good hardware to power their console but right now Nintendo is more concerned about different things. So maybe they have some new "mapping" technology but I am sure it won't be the secret.

Even if they'd have displacement mapping (which is a way of avoiding too high polygon counts) they wouldn't make so much fuss about it. In fact, it was introduced back in 2002 with the Matrox Parhelia-512 so it isn't a really new technology either.

o.k. Thanks. My previous post was more my own hopes, because I thought that phantom whould have been a good name, mostly. I dont know much about really.

I don't know if anyone can remember, but there was a patent by nintendo ages ago that said something about not needing split screen. something like that, my memory is vague.

It could explain why Nintendo keeps saying Revolutions graphics will still hold its own.

I mean that 281 polygon female-torso-armor (with displacement mapping) looked just like that 1,1 million polygon female-torso-armor.

( http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/images/displacement/displacementphone.jpg )

IF they have full hardwaresupport on this with small or no performancehits, Im begining to understand the "low" specs..

Every next gen console will have this so the Revolution won't have advantage. Just about every graphics card out has it too (isn't it part of DirectX 9?)

Revolution can hold its own by proprietary tools or techniques that come with the dev kits, this isn't one of them.

maybe its what the 'home' button does on the controller, theyll go through all th options and navigate around the 'home'. just a thought

Well that won't be spectacular because the 360 does and probably the PS3 as well. Perhaps he's talking about Mario 128 or something, maybe it's not the hardware.

Displacement mapping?

Can they pattent that? It can't be displacement mapping, neither parallax mapping. It can have something to do, like pixel/vertex shader unification.

Pattenting Displacement mapping is like pattenting the wheel. It can't be done.

Its something already used by many people (i've used it myself), and to patent something, im sure you have to prove that it was originally your idea.

However, pattenting a method to do it real-time may be allowed...

It came from a blog guys, what else have blogs said that was true?

Amen, Brother. Why is everyone so certain that the "secret" is about the looks? It may be something really bizarre which they never thought of. Patience is the key. ;) We were patient about the controller, and it paid off.

I hope part of the secret is a speaker in the controller that actually makes the sound of the fishing rod/sword/rifle/jetski it's supposed to be. It would be so cool hearing the sword slashes in Twilight Princess from the controller instead of one of the speakers in your TV or on your wall. Beats Dolby Digital if you ask me :D