NEurope
CompSci

Revs final secret Revealed?

The "Secret" is going to be something that is more connected to the consumer. This is a very cool application, but it has a bigger relationship with developers. Most people won't understand the technobabble needed to explain this technique, and therefore, I highly doubt that this is going to be the third "revolutionary feature". It's going to be something to do with either playing the games, or it's going to be to do with the Revolution's media capabilities.

This technology seems to be really interesting and if the Revo would use it... :D

It was rumoured for a long time that they had developed something to create good graphics with little power so I only hope this is true, however, as long as we don't hear anything from Nintendo... (well you know the rest :) )

Oh, so with low polygon counts you could still have detailed games. That would be cool.

I don't think that's the secret though. Why won't Nintendo tell us already???

in that developer blog thing in another thread there as a couple of questions which asked what the third feature was. i think the guy said something about the feature is both combined with the controller and the system but i might be totally wrong

That's all bollocks I'm afraid.

Displacement maps are nothing new, and both the 360 and PS3 will be using them along with with normal mapping.

The revolutions limited memory will be a problem also, as I don't really expect it to be using any other techniques that aren't already seen on the Cube hardware.

I'm shocked at the amount of people that eat up these blogs like they're a crack whore who's been dry for a month.

even if there was any truth to this blog at all i highly doubt its the revo's last secret. I couldnt imagine miyamoto coming out on stage to reveal that 'displacement mapping' is the last big secret that is supposed to wow us. and after all the stress nintendo put on 'gameplay over graphics' y would they then come out and say 'hey! we have pretty graphics and textures! hows that for a crazy innovation!'

I was watching my mate play PD0 online using his 360 headset whilst some american swore at him.

And I was thinking Nintendo could easily release a headset for Revo using the expansion port on the bottom of the controller. And the I thought how cool it would be if Nintendo would put a sensor on the side of the headset so it would track your head movements.

So in an FPS you could look around by moving your head, and can carry on using the controller to move around tilting the controller in the direction you want to move.

I think this could happen but I think it will need a lot of refinement before it would properly work!!

I was watching my mate play PD0 online using his 360 headset whilst some american swore at him.

And I was thinking Nintendo could easily release a headset for Revo using the expansion port on the bottom of the controller. And the I thought how cool it would be if Nintendo would put a sensor on the side of the headset so it would track your head movements.

So in an FPS you could look around by moving your head, and can carry on using the controller to move around tilting the controller in the direction you want to move.

I think this could happen but I think it will need a lot of refinement before it would properly work!!

That sounds good but i was thinking that if you wanted to look far left or right, wouldnt that mean your completely looking away from the TV?

other than that if it was more sensitive it could be annoying in terms of effecting gameplay if you move your head even abit.

as cool as this feature is and sounds, I highly doubt it's anything new and exclusive the competition doesnt have. Remember, Nintendo said the Cube controller still had a secret back when it was shown for the first time.

The secret turned out to be that both shoulder buttons could be "clicked". A nice, if rarely used addition to the controller, but not something that blew people away. I expect something along the lines for the Revolution controller.

Dont get yourself hyped up people!

Essentially what this means, assuming it is going to be implemented on the rev, is that a lot of graphical operations can be offloaded to the cpu using this method of mapping. Now this is also fueling the idea of the PPU being used in the rev to offload some of the CPU work to the PPU allowing for more mapping to take place, or whatever else is needed. So if the GPU was a bit weaker than the compitition (confirmed) this method of mapping could be used which would have the CPU do some mapping and the GPU would have more time to work on other things (poly counts for one, maybe textures) and if there is a PPU it could handle the physics on the system freeing up CPU time more for displacment mapping or whatever which basically means better graphics for the end user.

Nintendo sees the Phantom fail, buy them out cheap then integrates the features to the revo. Could be expensive, and make the revolution a HUGE machine, so it's pretty unlikely. Would be nice to play alot of PC games on it though.

Can you really imagine this being their final big secret.

Full library backwards compatibility!

Completely unique controller style!

Displacement mapping...

I don't think so ;)

Welcome Xeal, I hope you enjoy your stay. Try not to double post, if you need to add something after posting click the Edit button on your post.