NEurope
Dog-amoto

World Cup 2018/2022

Russia and Qatar, haha, I was right.

Damn I should ahve put a bet down on that :heh:

Qatar 2022.

This surprised me, but then.... alot of money to invest into getting the place top notch, and alot of time to prepare too.

fuck.. i'll be 36 by the time the Qatar World cup takes place

Shame we didn't get it. Russia is a shit hole.

Shame anyone but Russia didn't get it.

Shame we didn't get it. Russia is a shit hole.

Shame anyone but Russia didn't get it.

Well wouldnt that be a good thing Russia got it if they apparently could use it?

Probably but I'm not being objective. I don't like Russia as a country, for the most part.

Good luck to any gay fans heading out to watch some football in 2018 or 2022. You're gonna need it...

Had a feeling Russia and Qatar would get it. I don't mind Russia getting it as it will help develop footballing in the country. Russia would benefit more from hosting the World Cup than the other candidates as they'll be able to develop the new stadiums. Plus the notion of free ground transport for ticket holders is very impressive. Don't really agree with Qatar getting it, population of around 1.6 Million, national team ranked 113 and never qualified for a World Cup..probably got it because FIFA will make a lot of money from it. :/

Had a feeling Russia and Qatar would get it. I don't mind Russia getting it as it will help develop footballing in the country. Russia would benefit more from hosting the World Cup than the other candidates as they'll be able to develop the new stadiums. Plus the notion of free ground transport for ticket holders is very impressive. Don't really agree with Qatar getting it, population of around 1.6 Million, national team ranked 113 and never qualified for a World Cup..probably got it because FIFA will make a lot of money from it. :/

Qatar have to build 9 of their 12 presented stadiums, and the other 3 are all labelled as major renovation...

I just read the England Bid Evaluation Report, and it's just so much more appealing than the others (granted i only flicked through them)

if any one is interested the Bid Evaluation Reports are here - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/bidders/organisation/documents/index.html

Edit - Hah 12 of Russia's proposed Stadiums are yet to be built.... a joke!

According to the feed on the BBC site, we came 4th out of the 4 bids...how?! We had the best technical bid, and it was probably the most lucrative. Then seeing that Qatar got the 2022 WC, which the inspection team described as "high risk".

It's just baffling.

Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

From the BBC feed - So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

That is abit shady.

Edited by MadDog
Automerged Doublepost

Gutted.

Russia, in terms of facilities I can just about tolerate. Their league isn't that bad, so I expect the stadium improvements and all that will come and be great. But racism in their league is rife, its shocking that fifa ignores such things.

Qatar on the other hand, is clearly all about $$$. I'm all for countries who love the sport hosting it, I had no complaints with Japan/S.Korea or South Africa. All of which are huge footballing nations. Qatar just isn't, it's a retirement ground for washed up pros. Imagine what the temperatures will be like in Qatar during the summer, it's going to be terrible.

In all of that I am proud of our bid and those who represented us today, they done everything they could to bring football home. Fifa is a sham.

I don't see this as a point to be upset on, well at least not the UK not getting the wc.

I'm dissapointed that Russia won, I would personally have placed the spain/portugal bid higher up personally. Brazil has 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics, Russia appears to have the Winter Olympics in 2014?? and now WC in 2018. UK get Olympics in 2012, so obviously its too far away from the 2018 World cup. so, which olympics will qatar have? :P

the stadium improvements

From what I understand, the stadiums don't even exist yet.

Qatar wining is an absolute joke, cant wait for those lovely 50 degree summertime matches. still at least Jack Warner didnt vote for us so we can stop whoring the England team out to him. I would also assume the friendly against Thailand next year wont go ahead?

I must say I'm baffled by how the English bid lost quite so badly, at least compared to the competition. It's not as if England is short on appropriate stadia or other relevant infrastructure. The Panorama investigation can't have burned FIFA that bad surely? Putin basically called out Fifa as a bunch of criminals and still Russia swept it.

I'm also rather baffled at the choice of Qatar. First middle east tournament, sure, great. But all the others would have been much better picks - I would've thought it would be a prime time to send the tournament to the US or Australia. Oh well, I look forward in 2022 to ogling billion-dollar Qatar stadiums that will basically get used once.

According to the feed on the BBC site, we came 4th out of the 4 bids...how?! We had the best technical bid, and it was probably the most lucrative. Then seeing that Qatar got the 2022 WC, which the inspection team described as "high risk".

It's just baffling.

Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

From the BBC feed - So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

That is abit shady.

I must say I'm baffled by how the English bid lost quite so badly, at least compared to the competition. It's not as if England is short on appropriate stadia or other relevant infrastructure. The Panorama investigation can't have burned FIFA that bad surely? Putin basically called out Fifa as a bunch of criminals and still Russia swept it.

I'm also rather baffled at the choice of Qatar. First middle east tournament, sure, great. But all the others would have been much better picks - I would've thought it would be a prime time to send the tournament to the US or Australia. Oh well, I look forward in 2022 to ogling billion-dollar Qatar stadiums that will basically get used once.

Looks like dodgy voting to me.

Clearly a couple more people voted for Belgium/Netherlands in the first round just to get England out, then switched to Sepp Blatter's choice of Russia to secure the win.

The concept of a WC in Qatar is interesting, but it does suck when our bid is pretty much perfect that we can't win, yet their bid is considered a high risk but they get it.

We got two votes, one was obviously from the English bloke, Geoff Thompson, I wonder who else stuck with us?

It clearly was all political voting. If it had actually been done on who had the best bid, England would have won by miles.

Instead, it's gone to Russia and Qatar just for the sake of it being in Russia and Qatar.

Might as well have been a eurovision song contest. Its all political bullshit these days.

I really do blame the press for some of this. Panorama, the media's obsession with anything possibly shady even when at a substantially bad time.

Fifa is disgraceful as well. How can you let those on suspicion of bribery etc still vote?!

FIFA is a definitely a dodgy organisation. Refused to even investigate the allegations made by Panorama.

The thing with Panorama was that it wasn't even relevant to this World Cup, the evidence it had was for years ago. It could be broadcast at any time, but nope, the BBC wanted the high viewing figures.

And BBC aren't meant to care about viewing figures, they're a public-funded corporation.

I'm gutted England didn't get it. It would have been the closest we'd have got to a World Cup.

The thing that annoyed me about it was the timing. All the evidence used in the Panorama program was fairly old, they could've made it any time in the last year but instead they show it three days before the votes.

The only reason for that can be ratings and they say that showing it is in the interest of the nation, but surely hosting the World Cup would've done more for the nation?!

(of course it may not have actually made a difference...)

I agree.. could have saved it a week after, and I'm sure people would actually be more interested now, after the winner announcement (though not, perhaps, had we won).

Anyway, I wouldn't be bothered if it weren't for the fact that we only got two votes. Whenever I read about FIFA it's always about the incredible amounts of bullshit and dodgey deals surrounding them.

I'm gutted England didn't get it. It would have been the closest we'd have got to a World Cup.

I don't see why they don't try to get an England/Scotland/Wales world cup. I'm sure the addition of the Millennium Stadium and whatever stadium Edinburgh have (I presume it's an impressive one) would help out a little bit more.

I don't see why they don't try to get an England/Scotland/Wales world cup. I'm sure the addition of the Millennium Stadium and whatever stadium Edinburgh have (I presume it's an impressive one) would help out a little bit more.

I've also said this. Scotland has 3 of the biggest capacity stadiums in the UK, not counting Murrayfield and obviously Wales has the Millennium.

A triple bid would never win, I don't think FIFA are fans of joint bids much and they would never award a tournament that would mean three nations would automatically qualify.