NEurope
Dog-amoto

World Cup 2018/2022

I'd like to think England will win 2018 but I do think Russia have a chance even though they only have a few stadiums up to grade and their public transport system across large parts of the country, although that didn't stop South Africa...For 2022 I can't see past Qatar I think they will want to push further with it truly being a world cup and giving it to an arab country which has never happened...

While I would obviously love us to host the world cup, FIFA are such a shady bunch I would hate us to do it on there terms. Which we have signed up to (No Tax for FIFA during the tournament, tax breaks for sponsor's etc etc) I'm fairly certain Spain/Portugal have it in the bag anyway, I doubt it will go to Russia now Putin isn't going to the ceremony, he was scheduled to appear if he thought they would win.

I'd like to see the hosts be countries that haven't hosted it before to give the tournament a new "feel" that it hasn't ever had before.

Idealy I would have liked if Australia put a bid for 2018 instead and for them to get that and Qatar to get 2022 (or vice versa)

But the way it stands I have a feeling Russia will get 2018 and then it's 50/50 on Oz and Qatar. I reckon Qatar would get it though on the basis of being the first Arab country to host it (lots of that lately... first Asian hosts... first African host...)

I don't see any joint bids having much chance. I don't think Fifa like the idea of joint hosts much. Plus I don't think they want to give 2 countries automatic qualification again.

Only reason they gave Japan and South Korea a joint hosting was for the occasion of it being both the first World Cup of the 21st Century and the first held in Asia... I can't remember exactly but I think both countries originally put in seperate bids for 2002 then later combined the bid.

Why are they doing 2022 so damned early though? Couldn't they wait till after the next one?

Also does anyone know if they are increasing the number of countries to compete/qualify or something? I know the Euros will be increasing after the next tourney... maybe the World Cup is too?

I'd like to see the hosts be countries that haven't hosted it before to give the tournament a new "feel" that it hasn't ever had before.

But you risk of the atmosphere being completely ruined due to some stupid horn thing.

I Wouldn't mind the cup being in Oz, ok i'm living here that's why =p but I'd try to get to a game or two of England's.

It only takes 10 minutes to walk to Elland Road from my house, so if we got the World Cup, i'd love it. I wouldn't give a shit who was playing, i'd still get some tickets.

For the record, I would love England to get the World Cup but I just think the media, again, is getting carried away with themselves when they're making it out to be a virtually guaranteed win.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9247651.stm

Presentation starting now.

If anything our media have only been fucking up our chances, the Lord Triesman scandal and Panorama haven't exactly been useful.

Great presentation I thought, and Blatter seemed to agree, so we only have to have convinced 11 Fifa execs and it's in the bag.

Roll on 3pm.

It was a good presentation to be fair, and one comment on BBC Site summed it up...

"Isn't it just great to see everyone coming together as one? United, City, Wenger and Fergie, England United-World Invited!"

Obviously choosing to ignore last night's actions, but yeah it's a good message that the comity are trying to get across.

My only complaint with the bid video is the complete shun to the majority of clubs in the country, why was it all Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs. If they really wanted to be diverse and show a country united they could have used footage of some of our Football League teams and their supporters.

Yeah, it was a shame that they ignored the other tiers and some of the less well known Premiership clubs, but they had limited time with the presentation and they wanted to focus on other areas, but certainly in the training video I would have liked to see them point out that clubs could takeover, without interupption, the many fantastic grounds of clubs that aren't part of the bid.

That could all be moot though, Russia have Andrei Arshavin as part of their presentation, they are going to win.

That could all be moot though, Russia have Andrei Arshavin as part of their presentation, they are going to win.

Lets hope he doesn't have to talk for long, he'll disappear for 80 minutes and not track back. :grin:

Shame we didnt get it, I think its best we all just blame Birmingham fans now.

Naa, I'm gonna stick to blaming the BBC...

:heh:

I actually dont blame them in the slightest (although I havent followed the entire story), I dont believe they should not take on a story just because we were trying to get the world cup.

I actually dont blame them in the slightest (although I havent followed the entire story), I dont believe they should not take on a story just because we were trying to get the world cup.

The thing that annoyed me about it was the timing. All the evidence used in the Panorama program was fairly old, they could've made it any time in the last year but instead they show it three days before the votes.

The only reason for that can be ratings and they say that showing it is in the interest of the nation, but surely hosting the World Cup would've done more for the nation?!

(of course it may not have actually made a difference...)

Yeah I mean my B'Ham complaint probably didnt make a difference either. Do we know what round the voting went to? If it went past the first round and people had to choose other than their first pick then I could see the Panorama and Birmingham incidents mattering.