NEurope
Retro_Link

Uncharted (The Movie)

Fan questions director why Nathan Fillions isn't Drake...

... the director has never even heard of him before. :indeed:

Edited by Retro_Link

I get nathan fillion as drake because of the personality. However:

uncharted2.jpg

I mean... how hard could it be to emulate him?

Fan questions director why Nathan Fillions isn't Drake...

... the director has never even heard of him before. :indeed:

Ah.

We're fucked.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/117/1170977p1.html

Russell Ditches Uncharted

Drake's Fortune movie loses its director.

Games and fanboys who were dead-set against the idea will probably rejoice at the news that Oscar-nominated filmmaker David O. Russell has dropped out of Sony's screen adaptation of the video game Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Citing inside sources, Variety reports that "the split was amicable and due to creative differences on the project. ... Studio will begin its search for a new writer today."

This would also seem to indicate that Mark Wahlberg, Russell's frequent leading man, is probably out as Nathan Drake, too. Ditto Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, although the trade doesn't state the status of any of those actors as related to Uncharted.

[Hopefully] See ya Wahlberg!

Tbf, I think Russell could've at least made a good movie, even if he messed with the concept a bit. On the other hand now they might hand it to someone who faithfully recreates the storyline of the first game (which wasn't that great) but makes it pretty crappily.

Details on why director Russell REALLY left the Uncharted movie

Yesterday, we reported that the movie based on the awesome PS3 videogame Uncharted: Drake's Fortune had lost its director, David O. Russell (The Fighter) due to "creative differences." Today, we have more details on why Russell and Sony Studios agreed to part.

The L.A. Times has more of the story. It turns out Russell went "in a different direction than studio Sony wanted":

Among the many flourishes Russell had added were a bevy of characters not in the video game. (The director had given hints of this in December when he said he loved the idea of a "a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities ... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice." The game centers on a lone adventurer, Nathan Drake.)

It doesn't seem like a different direction as much as a complete rewrite, and if you've ever played Uncharted, you would be scratching your head in confusion at this turn of events: Actually, the videogame follows Nathan Drake, adventurer, and his pals Sully and Elena as they try to find the lost treasure of Sir Francis Drake while fighting off rival fortune-hunters ... and mutants. (No family or heads of museums are involved.)

Uncharted is an Indiana Jones-style action/adventure third-person shooter, and ever since its release in 2007, we've been eagerly awaiting a cinematic translation. Happily, even though the loss of Russell means delays, Sony is still interested in making Drake's Fortune.

The L.A. Times also made us do the dance of joy when it wrote, "It's not expected that Wahlberg, who had been Russell's choice, will star in the film (allowing fans to begin their drumbeat for Nathan Fillion again). ..."

http://blastr.com/2011/05/why-director-russell-real.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TBH it just smacked of a director simply piggy backing on the franchise of uncharted whilst writing his own family adventure film. With all those Family references it seemed we would have been getting something along the lines of ....

shark_boy_and_lava_girl_front_cover.jpg

From IGN

Uncharted is one of the more high profile video game adaptations in Hollywood these days. The film had recently hit a major snag with the departure of director David O. Russell and the possible loss of actor Mark Wahlberg. While Wahlberg's status is still unclear, at least the movie has a new director. Neil Burger (Limitless) has been brought on board to both direct and rewrite the film.

All I can say to this is thank god - Mark Wahlberg would be terrible.

Nathan Fillion is too old to be Drake so my controversial suggestion is A.J Styles.He looks like Drake and is certainly athletic enough as the clip below shows.

aj3.jpg

AJSTYLESS.jpg

Edited by Cookyman

I think this is good casting and I think if an Uncharted movie is to be made, the angle of it being a younger Drake is a good one that doesn't really step on the toes of the game.

...But, we'll see what the reality is.