NEurope
The Bard

Estate Agents - or - A Good Case For Eugenics.

Estate Agents. You would think that the law of averages would dictate that bumping into a member of this profession that doesn't make you think they spent their formative years fervently studying and internalising Mein Kampf wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility. But no. Fuck no. It seems like the agencies skim the scum straight off the cultural couldron.

I went to the agency today to try and get back the deposit I left on my place of residence last year. A house which I had vacated six months ago, and for which, the documentation has been filed regarding final bills - all that shit was done and over, and we still hadn't seen a penny of the substantial sum that we had left in the care of these fuckers.

The guy started shouting at me that it was nothing to do with him, that it was our fault we hadn't sent the appropriate documentation, and that he was unsure whether he could even "locate" our money at such a late stage. Of course, being slightly shell shocked I snigger let slip a "what the fuck?" At which point the douchelord physically pushes me towards the door, tells me not to laugh at him and to stop wasting his time. At this point, I am obviously worried, firstly about his mental health, and secondly whether this was just a defensive act to mask the fact that he had embezzled our shit and spent it all on blow and cheap hookers. So I say...fine, I'll go and collect the appropriate documentation, and come back. I leave, and phone my old housemate, who, funnily enough, had come the previous day and given him a copy of the council tax verification and water bill. I'd given him everything else.

So, of course, I go back, and tell this to the guy, slightly pissed off, at which point he threatens to rip my head off. No shit.

Why are estate agents, categorically, such gaping assholes? Should I file a police report? Should I leave a burning dookie on this man's doorstep?

Have any of you had any such altercations?

Record a conversation with him and have something concrete, both to show his negligence and possible embezzlement and threats of physical violence.

Record a conversation with him and have something concrete, both to show his negligence and possible embezzlement and threats of physical violence.

What he said. See if you can get him blacklisted as a bad landlord, too - possibly through Uni as I assume you're at on.?

What's hilarious is that the secretary was just sat there chilling with a cup of tea as if it was just another interaction with a customer :heh:.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared to go back in there by myself.

flips sake theres no way thats right. Go back in again and hopefully you'll get someone more rational. If not maybe the police are an option..

Deposits are legally required to be put into a deposit protection scheme with notification to the tenant within 14 days.

Explain this to the man and that if he cannot locate your deposit then you'll gladly take this to the Citizens Advice Bureau and seek further legal action.

Deposits are legally required to be put into a deposit protection scheme with notification to the tenant within 14 days.

Explain this to the man and that if he cannot locate your deposit then you'll gladly take this to the Citizens Advice Bureau and seek further legal action.

There is no better advice than this ^.

I only deal with landloards with properties I rent, I never speak with agencies are there's too much middle man business.

My housemate refuses to believe that our current landlord is a decent one, who replaces everything we need, which is odd given he's signed the contract for next year and I haven't.

Last year I got my landlord blacklisted with my university because of the state the house was in, it wasn't even that bad, but after three fridges breaking and a shower leak that were blamed on the tenants I got fed up and requested it happen. Luckily I got my deposit back, I think my mum would have had a beat down if I hadn't.