NEurope
Daft

Films you've walked out of...

I was just watching

killer-inside-me-poster.jpeg.jpg

Got to the point about thirty minutes in where Casey Affleck is beating up Jessica Alba and I had to switch it off. It was vile.

I generally stick films out unless they are amazingly boring and I've only been genuinely offended enough by Slumdog Millionaire that I stopped watching.

Anyone walked out of a film? Or just stopped watching one for reasons other than boredom?

Elektra is the first film I can think of that I switched off. Never walked out of a cinema (have wanted to a couple of times, but I feel like I can't if I've paid for it!) though once during saw...3? A fat couple on the front row who seemed to be having sex during the trailers got up and laughed loudly about 10 minutes into the film.

I think my dad made us walk out of a movie once when we were a lot younger. I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

What made you walk out of Slumdog?

There is no way I can be bothered to go into that.

Just seems strange to bring it up but not be prepared to state why.

I've never felt like walking out of a film really, I seem to be good at filtering out crap movies when it comes to decision crunch-bunch.

What made you walk out of Slumdog?

Simple, Daft has good taste in movies, Slumdog is nothing but an overhyped piece of trash of a movie that was only 'good' in the viewers eyes because it's set in India.

I talk to Indians about the movie, they all laugh at us people for liking it.

Slumdog is a critic's nightmare because it's a fantastic director's cash-in oscar-begging movie. The man himself is ashamed. 28 days or whatever it's called his another step into hollywood but I think Boyle is trying to worm his way down a slim line between recognition both as a good director and as a box office hit.

Slumdog is not a bad movie, it just panders to the checklist of potential Oscar territory, which means sentimentality and ignorant tom-foolery with stereotypes.

I nearly walked out of the new Robin Hood film, but other than that I'm usually fairly careful to read up on things before I go and see them.

There is no way I can be bothered to go into that.

Just seems strange to bring it up but not be prepared to state why.

Haha I was gonna say, don't get him started. Dafts had massive rants about Slumdog on here before.

Anyway, The Viliage is the only one that pops to mind where walking out was a genuine possibility. Didn't though.

Pretty underwhealmed by Sin City which was on TV the other week. Had such high hopes for it and all.

Sin City = one of the best and most accurate adaptations for a graphic novel. TREE FAIL!

Poor trees.

doesn't help that the graphic novel itself is misogynistic, right wing hyper trash though.

Almost walked out of Austin Powers 3. To this day I don't know why I didn't. It was irredeemable cocksauce from start to finish.

Godzilla.

Every time Matthew Broderick had something important to say, the camera zoomed in on him and began turning his head from side to side to make the point seem more important.

Everyone else was crap in it too, but Matthew Broderick really stood out as being awful. I got about 40 minutes in and enough was enough.

I walked out of Sliding Doors when we watched it at uni. I had something more important to do and we were originally only supposed to watch ten minutes. Not even my love for Jeanette Tripplehorn could save it.

Although it wasn't awful or anything but not my top priority at the time.

Never walked out of the cinema. I so rarely go that when I do go its because I want to or because I'm dragged there and I'm not going to leave a friend by themself.

Paj, I will not respond to you in this thread.

-

Revolutionary Road. The only one ever, and I doubt I'll ever walk out of anything else.

Ive turned off plenty of movies halfway through while at home because I didnt like them but ive never walked out of a cinema. Possibly the most ive felt like doing that was when I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

I talk to Indians about the movie, they all laugh at us people for liking it.

That's because it makes India look like shit though. Any country would be pissed off if it was made look bad in a foreign film. Austria for example hate the sound of music.

I feel asleep during watchmen actually. Swear to god have no idea what people saw in that. I'm told that i'm supposed to have read the graphic novel before I went in and that's why I didn't "get it"? But am that's a bullshit defensive.

Edited by mcj metroid

I don't think I've ever actually walked out of a film, but I have a friend with awful taste in films who has taken me to things I'd definitely have walked out of if he hadn't been insisting we stay. For instance:

The Cottage - just stupid, but at least it wasn't as bad as

Grown Ups - dear God I nearly died watching this. Not remotely funny even in an immature way (which is what it was going for and failing at).

Dinner for Schmucks - a little better, but still horribly contrived. And too cringeworthy to be in any way watchable (this is coming from someone who likes cringe-based humour).

Anyway, I got my own back by making him watch Scott Pilgrim, which I knew he'd hate. :heh:

Anyway, I got my own back by making him watch Scott Pilgrim, which I knew he'd hate. :heh:

What kind of douche would hate Scott Pilgrim?

What kind of douche would hate Scott Pilgrim?

A jock wannabe who doesn't like video games or manga/comics. :heh:

Oh, I saw The Killer Inside Me also. Didn't walk out, but it was way too violent to be enjoyable.

I've never walked out of the cinema...

Film wise, nothing really springs to mind... there are countless times I've switched channel during a movie, but... that doesn't count in my opinion.

I wanted to walk out of the last Resident Evil film though, within the first 3 minutes.

I knew I would hate it but I went cause it was my mates birthday and it was film then pub...

I've fallen asleep at films though.

I nearly ripped my own throat out while watching the last Pirates of the Caribbean.

I turned the Bourne Supremacy off at about 15 minutes in.

I was just really tired and had to go to bed. I'm sure it's a good film.

Never walked out of the cinema, not sure I ever would.

I've never walked out of the cinema, nor would I ever, unless I had urgent business to attend to that just came up.

It's so stupid.

I generally don't go and see crap films though, so it's fine, and when I do (Wolverine), I know they'll be rubbish, but still plan on seeing them. (Or am forced to see them by family - Bratz, Make It Happen etc)

Not seeing all a film and deciding it's shit makes no sense. It's like looking at half a painting then judging it. Your judgement may end up being right, but I don't believe it's entirely fair to the art itself.

Not seeing all a film and deciding it's shit makes no sense. It's like looking at half a painting then judging it. Your judgement may end up being right, but I don't believe it's entirely fair to the art itself.

Couldn't you say the same about stories of comics? Didn't you stop reading Wolf-Man before the story had finished.

BUUUUURRRRNNNNN.

(And I know I said I wasn't talking to you in this thread)

Couldn't you say the same about stories of comics? Didn't you stop reading Wolf-Man before the story had finished.

BUUUUURRRRNNNNN.

(And I know I said I wasn't talking to you in this thread)

No.

Comics are sequential art-form telling a story over a potentially indefinite time period. With your logic, people who stopped reading Uncanny X-Men after the first few issues in the 60's never got the full story as Uncanny X-Men is still going at 500+ issues.

Theyre short bursts of story that are meant to hook you until next month/week when the next bit comes out. There's rarely ever the intention of a set ending at a set time etc. Sometimes there are (The Sword, Miniseries etc), but what I said still sticks - It's not cinema.