NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sentient//

Super Mario Bros Avenue opens in Spain

This is...really weird. I found a Brazilian article on this, as well.

Apparently, when building the new block, they held a voting as to what to "theme name" the new streets. Since plenty of young people voted, "Videogames" was the theme.

Super Mario Bros. Avenue is just the first one. Apparently, they plan to name the following streets after "The Sims", "Legend of Zelda", "Tetris", "Space Invaders", "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Arkanoid", "Prince of Persia", "Grand Theft Auto", "Final Fantasy" and "Samus Aran".

This is surreal, to say the least. I never expected something like this to happen. Much less in Spain, of all places!

Tetris Avenue would be my kind of block!

This is awesome though. Maybe a bit long for a street name but still awesome.

Tetris Avenue would be my kind of block!

This is awesome though. Maybe a bit long for a street name but still awesome.

ironhide_facepalm.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Avenue is just the first one. Apparently, they plan to name the following streets after "The Sims", "Legend of Zelda", "Tetris", "Space Invaders", "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Arkanoid", "Prince of Persia", "Grand Theft Auto", "Final Fantasy" and "Samus Aran".

They're going to name one of the streets Grand Theft Auto?!... perhaps a tad irresponsible!

Edited by Retro_Link

No GTA road. They have chosen games with a great historical value, easy to pronounce (in fact some names will be translated in spanish, like Final Fantasy and Space Invaders) and not violent

The almost complete list of the names is available in the italian article. Very funny the fact about Sonic, ahahahahahahah!

Will they be putting speed cameras on Sonic's road?

I don't know, but they should really put up some roadworks there as it's quite hazardous I hear... littered with springs, rings and even the occasional pitfall.

Oh and don't get me started on the double-loop, lord only knows how they got planning permission for that! :shakehead

Weird, GTA doesn't appear in the Italian article... The Brazilian article cites a Spanish Magazine as their source, though.

I'm not surprised they would try to translate the names, by the way.

Also, "Avenida de la Última Fantasía" has a poetic ring to it.

Weird, GTA doesn't appear in the Italian article... The Brazilian article cites a Spanish Magazine as their source, though.

I'm not surprised they would try to translate the names, by the way.

Also, "Avenida de la Última Fantasía" has a poetic ring to it.

The Italian article mentions Gran Turismo. It's more likely that.

Sign in to follow this